Bank Charges On A $10K Cheque?

Hi All,

I'm receiving a $10,000 cheque and wondering what the charges will be.

I have a kasikorn and SCB account. I stopped banking with SCB after they started charging me 10% per cheque + fees and really long waiting times (plus some un-called for attitude).

Just wondering if other banks will just cash the cheque for 300 baht and leave it, or will they try any stunts on me. I've no faith in the banks here (or my own country) so I'm asking for advice on how to cut my charges down and also if you guys know about any pitfalls (maybe a conversion fee etc).

Much Appreciated,

G

SCB where I live is 300 ish baht or 10 dollars then there is another 10 pound charge hidden when the cash is credited to your account, the charge is levied by the 3rd party handling/clearing bank, usually hsbc, can take anywhere between 2 weeks and 7 weeks.

SCB where I live is 300 ish baht or 10 dollars then there is another 10 pound charge hidden when the cash is credited to your account, the charge is levied by the 3rd party handling/clearing bank, usually hsbc, can take anywhere between 2 weeks and 7 weeks.

Thanks for the reply! I was led to believe that SCB also took 10% and a huge currency conversion. The staff probably just wanted rid of me, but I'd like to just know where I stand.

Thanks for the reply! I was led to believe that SCB also took 10% and a huge currency conversion. The staff probably just wanted rid of me, but I'd like to just know where I stand.

No they do not take another 10% and the rate is the TT rate which is normally pretty good, better than the cash rate.

I had a US government check (tax refund) and I took it to my Siam Commercial Bank branch. They told me that they no longer handled checks. I had some objections to that because in the past, after the 30 to 45 day delay, they had always deposited them to my account. My complaining brought out the bank manager and he also told me that they no longer offer that service. I endorsed the check and noted "deposit only" to my US bank account number and mailed it to the US.

Not sure about those cheques - I used to wait for weeks for them to clear in another country.

Now I use www.currencyonline.com but their THB account is in New Zealand. A friend

sent me money from NZ to the UK and it worked well and the exchange rate was way better.

Last week, I transferred $ 4,980 for $ 4 fee with a fair exchange rate versus the usual rip-off by banks.

Chris

Assuming a personal check is treated like a bank draft and since all Thai banks seem to charge about the same fees, at Bangkok Bank it appears they charge 10 USD plus a 3 baht duty stamp fee. Since it's a check, I would expect the Sight Bill/Checks exchange rate would be given which is less than the TT Buying Rate but better than the Note rate.

See this Bangkok Bank Link and below is a cut and paste from that link. Can't find such detailed info on the SCB website...Bangkok Bank website has always been much, much better than any other Thai bank in providing banking/fee information.

post-55970-0-67883600-1356840106_thumb.j

And at this SCB link is show an exchange rate for "checks" which is 0.2 baht/USD below the TT Buying Rate. Link.

Assuming a personal check is treated like a bank draft and since all Thai banks seem to charge about the same fees, at Bangkok Bank it appears they charge 10 USD plus a 3 baht duty stamp fee. Since it's a check, I would expect the Sight Bill/Checks exchange rate would be given which is less than the TT Buying Rate but better than the Note rate.

I've deposited checks with Bangkok Bank several times, some with greater sums then the OP, and the above is my experience each time. $10 USD plus checking the clearing date and Baht exchange rate, the conversion was always at the daily exchange rate for TT minus a few satang. Always 3 weeks from submission to clearing even though they will say up to 45 days.