The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

1 hour ago, champers said:

Yes. If you go on the baht bus ring the bell when you see S S Sausage shop. I would leave any visit till after Songkran. Closes at 10.30.

I don't think I've eaten there but I have eaten at a place very close to that a number of times.

P.YOO YEN ROS DEN

It's Thai Chinese and Thai but probably known more for Thai Chinese.

Pretty good, lots of seafood, moderate prices (not a tourist trap). 

The coolest part is the "scene" there. Go early and it's empty but late at night on weekends and it becomes packed with young Thais partying.

https://tabelog.com/thailand/A5604/A560401/56000290/

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9545455,100.8901052,3a,60y,12.43h,99.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRmsR_SVd3eAvkmRpQtZTTw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Uh oh ... is this place even still open? If not, it's been around for decades I think. :coffee1:

I used to eat at Thai Chinese restaurants a lot more before there was sort of a local boom in Chinese Chinese restaurants (especially Sichuan). Now I usually go to Chinese places when I want Chinese and Thai places when I want Thai. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think I've eaten there but I have eaten at a place very close to that a number of times.

P.YOO YEN ROS DEN

It's Thai Chinese and Thai but probably known more for Thai Chinese.

Pretty good, lots of seafood, moderate prices (not a tourist trap). 

The coolest part is the "scene" there. Go early and it's empty but late at night on weekends and it becomes packed with young Thais partying.

https://tabelog.com/thailand/A5604/A560401/56000290/

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9545455,100.8901052,3a,60y,12.43h,99.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRmsR_SVd3eAvkmRpQtZTTw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Uh oh ... is this place even still open? If not, it's been around for decades I think. :coffee1:

I used to eat at Thai Chinese restaurants a lot more before there was sort of a local boom in Chinese Chinese restaurants (especially Sichuan). Now I usually go to Chinese places when I want Chinese and Thai places when I want Thai. 

Yes, it is still open. I went past it earlier this evening and it was already quite busy. It is on my "try this out" list, but as you may have noticed, I am not particularly keen on any spicy food and I can only eat fried rice now and again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, champers said:

Yes, it is still open. I went past it earlier this evening and it was already quite busy. It is on my "try this out" list, but as you may have noticed, I am not particularly keen on any spicy food and I can only eat fried rice now and again.

It would be a really good choice if you don't like spicy food there as most dishes there ... aren't. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sichuan / Sechuan / Szechuan restaurant overview!:partytime2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan_cuisine

sech.jpg.db2ef4c21b29f263562c1aa8f39f96f1.jpg

I had been interested in doing a detailed new thread just about this, but the response to that idea was very underwhelming.

So instead I'll just do this one post to provide some clues to anyone out there that may be interested in exploring this exciting recent scene.

As I've mentioned before in the last year or two there has a veritable BOOM in Chinese restaurants offering Sichuan food. Some of them are totally dedicated to that provincial style, and some more limited. 

No, this isn't New Chengdu and never will be but it's an encouraging start. 

For Americans, no I'm not talking about American style Szechuan food but there will be some familiar dishes, like Kung Pao Chicken and Mapo tofu.

Here goes.

This information is mostly very rough.

I make no apologies for that.

If you want to know more (and post more, PLEASE DO) the ball is in YOUR court.

ONE

Sichuan Restaurant

in the new Marina mall

This is a part of a local chain out of Bangkok. 

A very extensive Sichuan food menu including the classic hot pots.

As far as Sichuan peppers, the one dish I ordered that should have them and was requested, was flavored with Sichuan chili OIL instead.

That's OK but I'm curious if that's with all their dishes as pictures of their menu from Bangkok show the actual whole spices.

Prices on the high side, with plus plus. 

Fried spicy snapper 528

Sichuan sauce chicken 328

Leek salad 128

Snapper boil pot 528

Chicken stews soup 328

Recommended based on one visit.

TWO

Chinese garden restaurant

across the road from Pardis Persian buffet

2nd road, North of Pattaya Klang (close to Hard Rock)

This restaurant has roots in some other restaurant in Naklua, not sure which.

Some Sichuan, some not.

I had two dishes so far, neither Sichuan.

I wasn't super impressed with the experience for the price but perhaps others would like to explore.

No plus plus.

tofu pan 200

squid pan 300

fish flavor pork 290

boiled pork pot 290

cumin beef or lamb 360

THREE

Sichuan 88

3rd road near Soi 6

http://www.pattayamail.com/ourcommunity/88-sichuan-hot-pot-opens-north-pattaya-140311

This started as a dedicated Sichuan HOT POT restaurant. I read something recently that gave me some hope that they now do have a full Sichuan food menu. That doesn't mean they do, so I need to check it out. If you check it out before me, please report. 

FOUR

Chinatown North Pattaya

(multiple small restaurants)

This is a dedicated food court/outdoor restaurant setup north of Marina mall on 2nd road (east side of street). I've sampled a few of the restaurants and wasn't very impressed with the quality for price. But the scene in there seems to have expanded ... so it would take A LOT of exploration to get the true picture. There may be some hidden gems. Or maybe not. All the prices are on the high side ... (as if they have agreed not to undercut each other on similar dishes. I assume some of the places are probably the same restaurant/owner with different setting. (Similar menus.)

I probably don't have the patience to explore this much but would love if others do and report. 

FIVE

Juxiangge

In the pedestrian "Korean" mall with Burger King on the corner, north of Marina, 2nd road, west side, near Tiffanys.

Really good homemade wheat noodles and a very extensive Sichuan food menu.

Prices on the high side, similar to most of the competition, but in this case the quality is definitely there. No plus plus.

There is an issue with Sichuan peppers. They don't always seem to have strong ones in stock. 

Mapo tofu 200

Pork leek dumplings 200

Meat baked pie 200

Fresh noodles with soy paste meat sauce 220

Sichuan beef filet hot pot 350
Twice cooked pork belly 260

Dry pots various, 200 and up

Ants climbing the tree (not ants) 300

Much much more ...

SIX

Shanghai restaurant on 3rd.

A lower cost option with some Sichuan dishes.

The authentic level is not up to par compared to Juxiangge and Sichuan (Marina).

Most local Chinese food fans would already know about this place, not new.

A good place overall especially considering the lower prices, but if seeking a more hard core Sichuan fix, would say go elsewhere.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d4166920-Reviews-Shanghai_Restaurant-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Great post ! It seems that for someone who is not an expert as you about Chinese food, only Shanghai restaurant AT THE END OF THIRD ROAD when almost reached NORTH PATTAYA ROAD, is worth the price. Most people who like me just don't care how supposedly special is the Chinese food, will prefer this one.

• Like 1

Great post ! It seems that for someone who is not an expert as you about Chinese food, only Shanghai restaurant AT THE END OF THIRD ROAD when almost reached NORTH PATTAYA ROAD, is worth the price. Most people who like me just don't care how supposedly special is the Chinese food, will prefer this one.

Follow your bliss.

What the heck. 

May as well share some pictures referring to the Sichuan restaurants thread.

Sichuan Restaurant, Marina Plaza

Spicy (Mala) Cold Chicken dish, I think 360

sechuanmarina.jpg.1f7aa82f9fe151146f3857a9c05a759c.jpg

Juxiangge

(at the Burger King Korean mall)

Spicy dry "mala" lamb w/ leeks, 360?

Mala means spicy hot and Sichuan peppercorn flavor too

jge17.jpg.abbbc9899c7cb53a04a43d84ff061116.jpg

Hot and sour soup, large size, 150

jge16.jpg.71110f3c7177ca77a207b5be9c1bd09c.jpg

Pork and leek boiled pork dumplings, large portion, 200

jge3.jpg.d9e9aae2906765d6f2105e6989fdb9a1.jpg

Dry tofu pot 220

jxtofu.thumb.jpg.14a3c0616a482ec7f90149f7f410e697.jpg

Mapo tofu 200

jxmapo.thumb.jpg.a70fdca94d30667d055a445fb812d6f6.jpg

Super spicy fried chicken mala 300?

jxchicksp.thumb.jpg.5b6da18d07d079ed53bc0e569a9b7378.jpg

Eggplant braised 

jxeggplant.thumb.jpg.ae86374c1cdb430d29e8962ddb3c1e0f.jpg

Fern root noodle salad 170

jxfernsalad.thumb.jpg.41825a2435554b456b1ec870224c58f2.jpg

Beef noodle soup 200

jxsoup.thumb.jpg.2c7c82cd9ae3380a517816e4bde84b15.jpg

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

Tamar Bakery & Restaurant on 3rd Road      Excellent Thai food and decent coffee at very reasonable prices.     As it's located on 3rd road near the Pattaya Tai intersection it is very difficult to find a parking spot.      Well worth a  visit and you will be supporting a worthy cause.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spaniel said:

Tamar Bakery & Restaurant on 3rd Road      Excellent Thai food and decent coffee at very reasonable prices.     As it's located on 3rd road near the Pattaya Tai intersection it is very difficult to find a parking spot.      Well worth a  visit and you will be supporting a worthy cause.

Thanks for the tip.

I read about this place and apparently affiliated with a charity organization involved in helping female sex workers get out of the industry.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d6602834-Reviews-Tamar_Bakery_Restaurant-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

https://www.tamarproducts.com/pages/bakery

I looked at the food pictures on the above links and based on those,  the Thai food appears quite standard but what's special there may be the baked goods, particularly pies and cakes. Also they have pancakes on the menu, not so common. Only my personal impression based on pictures, but I don't think most people would need to go out of their way for what appears to be standard Thai food that is on offer everywhere here. But the sweet stuff -- MAYBE!

The HOURS are unusual. Take note!
Open at 8:30 am and CLOSED at 5 pm.

Location map:

Map of Tamar Products

Edited by Jingthing

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks for the tip.

I read about this place and apparently affiliated with a charity organization involved in helping female sex workers get out of the industry.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d6602834-Reviews-Tamar_Bakery_Restaurant-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

https://www.tamarproducts.com/pages/bakery

I looked at the food pictures on the above links and based on those,  the Thai food appears quite standard but what's special there may be the baked goods, particularly pies and cakes. Also they have pancakes on the menu, not so common. Only my personal impression based on pictures, but I don't think most people would need to go out of their way for what appears to be standard Thai food that is on offer everywhere here. But the sweet stuff -- MAYBE!

The HOURS are unusual. Take note!
Open at 8:30 am and CLOSED at 5 pm.

Location map:

Map of Tamar Products

Pies you say. Mmmmm. I'll give it a try next time I am over Tukcom way.

Vietnamese Culinary on Pattaya Klang, previously mentioned, major CHANGES already. 

-- Table layout changed. There is now the option of a very large table so I reckon that's for groups, or if they're busy, people can share that table. As it's a very small restaurant, I was surprised to see that they now have that one large table. That of course reduces the number of smaller tables. Presume they have a reason ... 

-- Aircon. I had noticed it was hot in there at night. Not sure if they had aircon then, but went for lunch the other day, and doors shut, good aircon on.

-- Major menu changes. There is a new mostly clear picture menu and a number of the original dishes are gone. Also what I think is a new dish, the chicken salad. There are two sticky rice dishes which are misrepresented on the new menu, you'll need to try to figure out what they are by asking. I'll try eventually and report. There is now a  seafood rice porridge. A sign in front still shows the beef papaya salad I mentioned before, not sure if it's still on offer. The sweet and sour pork ribs now off the menu. The "mystery" super expensive chicken off the menu (no surprise).

Almost all dishes on the menu are 60 baht with a few exceptions.

Recently I tried another sample order. 

Had the seafood rice porridge, chicken salad, and ordered a Vietnamese omelette dish off the menu (they had before and said they could still make).

A good combination it turned out. The seafood porridge (60 baht) was basic and included the same seafood assortment I previously had in the seafood fried rice. Salty so no need to add fish sauce. The chicken salad (70 baht) contained very little chicken but lots of crispy vegetables like cucumber in a very sweet sauce topped with a generous portion of sesame seeds. A pleasant salad, but too sweet for me to order again. The egg dish was served on two plates (funny) but was assured it was only one order. Stuffed with some meat/potatoes, no bean sprouts. What was special about this off menu egg dish was the TEXTURE of the eggs. Distinctively Vietnamese. It was a tad bit too greasy for my tastes. Pretty good though, and I would guess you can order it even though off the menu (if you have trouble communicating, show an image of a Vietnamese omelette). Also 60 baht.

As before, the service is very friendly, but little English (or Thai) spoken. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2017 at 0:11 PM, Jingthing said:

Vietnamese Culinary on Pattaya Klang, previously mentioned, major CHANGES already. 

-- Table layout changed. There is now the option of a very large table so I reckon that's for groups, or if they're busy, people can share that table. As it's a very small restaurant, I was surprised to see that they now have that one large table. That of course reduces the number of smaller tables. Presume they have a reason ... 

-- Aircon. I had noticed it was hot in there at night. Not sure if they had aircon then, but went for lunch the other day, and doors shut, good aircon on.

-- Major menu changes. There is a new mostly clear picture menu and a number of the original dishes are gone. Also what I think is a new dish, the chicken salad. There are two sticky rice dishes which are misrepresented on the new menu, you'll need to try to figure out what they are by asking. I'll try eventually and report. There is now a  seafood rice porridge. A sign in front still shows the beef papaya salad I mentioned before, not sure if it's still on offer. The sweet and sour pork ribs now off the menu. The "mystery" super expensive chicken off the menu (no surprise).

Almost all dishes on the menu are 60 baht with a few exceptions.

Recently I tried another sample order. 

Had the seafood rice porridge, chicken salad, and ordered a Vietnamese omelette dish off the menu (they had before and said they could still make).

A good combination it turned out. The seafood porridge (60 baht) was basic and included the same seafood assortment I previously had in the seafood fried rice. Salty so no need to add fish sauce. The chicken salad (70 baht) contained very little chicken but lots of crispy vegetables like cucumber in a very sweet sauce topped with a generous portion of sesame seeds. A pleasant salad, but too sweet for me to order again. The egg dish was served on two plates (funny) but was assured it was only one order. Stuffed with some meat/potatoes, no bean sprouts. What was special about this off menu egg dish was the TEXTURE of the eggs. Distinctively Vietnamese. It was a tad bit too greasy for my tastes. Pretty good though, and I would guess you can order it even though off the menu (if you have trouble communicating, show an image of a Vietnamese omelette). Also 60 baht.

As before, the service is very friendly, but little English (or Thai) spoken. 

Sorry but I feel weird after reading your reviews with a lot of useless text and far to be strictly fact.

This "restaurant" is a cheap viet "restaurant" with less than 10 dishes in the menu for people who want to eat noodles for 60 thb. I would not even call it a restaurant. It's like indoor street food. If you want a real vietnamese restaurant dont go there OF COURSE.

The place as the owner and people working have are not something about what anybody would talk. Of course they say hello when going there, but that's all, not especially friendly.

About tables layout, why anybody would care, it takes 2 minutes to move the tables that are now joined, and I don't think that it's a major change or anything of interest.

Result: I wont go again to this totally useless restaurant, as I can eat cheaper noodles anywhere else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are very limited options for Vietnamese food in town unless you only want Nem Nuong, which is the one Viet dish Thais are heavily into. Thanks for sharing your impressions. You're correct, table layout can change easily so you have a point about that. My experience with the friendliness level has been much different. I find it a very warm place to visit, even though they've got the aircon running well. (Could well be projecting friendliness gets it back.:coffee1:) Some dishes are better for me there than others, but I'm enjoying trying almost everything on their menu.  No, if I lived in a U.S. city with a large Vietnamese community as I have, it wouldn't be on my list ... but alas this is Pattaya ... again, very limited options for Vietnamese food. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

You feel "weird" about a restaurant review??  Sounds pretty weird to me.

I think this thread is more for fun and information as most people like to eat and experience different foods.

I for one actually appreciate his detail.  Yes, it is a simple little place but good to know exactly what is happening and what to expect.

Most of your posts seem to be hammering others or negative anyway.  Maybe a change of attitude won't make you feel so "weird" about a simple restaurant review.

Yes, but there are things that are not an opinion and that are facts. This restaurant has few dishes and most people will be disappointed when going there. At least it should be clearly written.

Yes, but there are things that are not an opinion and that are facts. This restaurant has few dishes and most people will be disappointed when going there. At least it should be clearly written.

Yes a limited menu. No. Not only noodles. People can decide for themselves whether it's worth a try. I will have more NEW info and pictures later.

I think people looking for a casual limited menu Vietnamese restaurant in Pattaya will mostly think it's worth checking out.

No Michelin stars.

• Like 1

Anyone tried that new food court/cocktail bar area in the front of Central Marina?

I tried the 'OMG Burger' place. Quite tasty, better than a McDonald's experience and possibly slightly cheaper. The burgers are smallish but better quality meat.

I've also tried that 'Cafe 35'. Not bad but maybe a little pricey and not quite on par with somewhere like say S&P.

Anyone tried any of the other places in that area?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DMC1 said:

Anyone tried that new food court/cocktail bar area in the front of Central Marina?

I tried the 'OMG Burger' place. Quite tasty, better than a McDonald's experience and possibly slightly cheaper. The burgers are smallish but better quality meat.

I've also tried that 'Cafe 35'. Not bad but maybe a little pricey and not quite on par with somewhere like say S&P.

Anyone tried any of the other places in that area?

The OMG Burger place is a new one on me.  Is it worth trying?  It's so close to Jim's Burger & Beer, I almost think I'll opt out as Jim's has burgers that don't disappoint.

The OMG Burger place is a new one on me.  Is it worth trying?  It's so close to Jim's Burger & Beer, I almost think I'll opt out as Jim's has burgers that don't disappoint.

Actually, I tried Jim's once and I would say they are very similar. OMG is cheaper, I think but Jim's may have a bigger menu. I just find it a better option than popping to Mcd's..
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A New Orleans food restaurant sounds quite exciting. Thanks for the news.

However, I'm unclear on the location. Any close landmark of something that does exist that I could search on? Thanks. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, texanaust said:

Just tried a new cajun restaurant called GUMBO HOUSE in Jomtien.  They just opened and are owned by an American from Louisiana and his Thai wife.  We tried three dishes-Shrimp Etoufee, Seafood Gumbo and Red Beans and rice.  The first two dishes were 180baht and the Red Beans 150baht.  The best dish of the lot was the Shrimp Etoufee which tasted very much like what I've experienced in New Orleans.  The gumbo was good but not enough spice.  The red beans which had sausage in it was also a decent dish and very tasty.  

I think the prices are pretty good with no ++ and large Chang's are 95baht and bottled water 15baht each.  The location is south of Chiapruk next to the new Aeras condo tower being built.  Worth a try and will probably get better with time as the owner trains his staff with more dishes (such as the Po Boys which he did not recommend yet).

Looks to be around Jomtien Beach Road and Soi 18 by those directions

• Like 2