The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

22 hours ago, kdrayong said:

The Reef Cantina at Welcome Town

Not a wow-experience, but a place to go for Mexican food.

I had the Nachos Grande and the eight Mini-Tacos which come both slightly under a 200 Baht.

With the Nachos I missed some spices. The Tacos were quite good and IMO better than at Taco-Taco.

IMG_20200119_204139.jpg.67d65045d2a9af696dfd3821beb91954.jpg

The portions are not too big, what is not a problem for me, but that might be an issue when you feel really hungry.

I had a good conversation with the boss. Very polite and friendly.

Conclusion:

I'll be back there for sure, but won't be a frequent customer though.

Can you confirm this is the Tequila Reef operation moved to Welcome Town, or people not associated with the original restaurant piggy backing off their name and reputation? 

Was the boss you spoke to also the boss at the old location? 

Marco's

Italian restaurant and pizzeria

Tappraya Road Jomtien

Map and menu in link

http://www.marcospattaya.com/

Best Pizza con frutti di mare that I've ever had

(Seafood pizza)

I'm not going to go down the subjective rathole of proclaiming best pizza in Pattaya or best pizza in Jomtien.

I've mentioned Marco's before and I know that lots of people are turned off by the place because of the restaurant's boasting PR tactics.

But you don't eat that so why care about such externalities?

All I can say is that I'm very impressed with their Pizza con frutti di mare .

Usually that dish is topped weakly with some shrimps in shells (even uncleaned) and some squid slices. 

This was like biting into the ocean.

Needless to say the crust, cheese and tomato sauce were also high quality.

Their crust style is medium thick, some char, not a crispy cracker so it's foldable to pick up, tastes like a crust should rather than cardboard. Subjective of course.

Add all that to the exceptional and bountiful seafood topping. 380.

(Can get 100 baht off ordering by Grab.)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

Missus and I both had pasta dishes at Marcos a few weeks ago, and was bang average, But should return to try pizza soon. When in the area, much prefer the pasta at place beside the bus stop, Trattoria. 

Edited by hackjam
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well I never liked the food at the Reef at the old location so I'm certainly not going to schlep out to the new location. 

Yes, me too, always preferred the Blue Parrot / Sue's Place (although I am alarmed that they done the place up)

But anyway, for anyone that doesn't know about it already, I've been enjoying the Tex Mex food from Tigglebitties through their delivery service, which closes at 8 pm. See link below. They are not on Grab but their proprietary delivery service is exceptionally good.

You and Evil Penevil just never stop going on about this place!!

It's been a while, I might have schlep out there some day.

• Haha 1

On 1/22/2020 at 9:17 PM, Jingthing said:

Robin hood 

Avenue mall

One night more only! 

Max special 

Large fresh Ravioli with slow cooked duck Paris mushrooms in bullion cream port wine. sauce. 

Levin bread 

Fabulous flavor. 

Ends tonight Wednesday. 

Why is it ending?

49 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Why is it ending?

Because it was a temporary Max's special.

Who/what is Max?

Their gourmet European chef.

Here is my understanding of their current menu structure:

-- Regular menu

-- Sunday roast

-- Friday fish and chips (it's the law)

-- Max's small plate menu (daily except Sunday)

-- Regular daily specials bargain price (two or three days)

-- NEW FEATURE -- Max's menu daily specials (two or three days), higher quality, higher priced

Best idea is to regularly check their FB page. I'm not sure yet if they'll be continuing the Max's daily specials or not. Like I said that's a new feature. The Max's daily small plate menu has been on for a good while already but I reckon that too is dependent on customer response.

Because the regular daily specials are budget priced I reckon those are popular enough and there to stay. 

https://www.facebook.com/Therobinhoodpattaya/

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I don't know Max, but now I have seen his photo on a link posted by another member, I like how he comes around and asks, "Is everything ok?  How was your meal?"  When he has done this, I have had no idea he was the chef. 

I've never had a reason to complain about anything at The Robin Hood, and always give him positive feedback.  The staff there are very professional also.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

I am having less success.

Tried their Tacos last Tuesday and was very underwhelmed, which always seems to be the case when I visit.

Admittedly, I have yet to try anything of Max's.

That's been my experience too. For me the budget specials promise more than they deliver, but fair enough for the price. But I sure hope they keep doing the Max daily specials on top of his small plates menu (which I found mostly very good with a few sort of misses) because based on their duck ravioli the other day, that can be really something special. 

10 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

I am having less success.

Tried their Tacos last Tuesday and was very underwhelmed, which always seems to be the case when I visit.

Admittedly, I have yet to try anything of Max's.

Hooters is also have a Taco Tuesday now....99 Baht a taco plus 17%....

I just don't know how it is related to Tequila Reef. At Tequila Reef I've been once, years ago, and cost-performance ratio did not make me return there.

As I said, I don't consider this place as outstanding, but when I'm at Foodland anyway, I might return there from time to time.

38 minutes ago, kdrayong said:

I just don't know how it is related to Tequila Reef. At Tequila Reef I've been once, years ago, and cost-performance ratio did not make me return there.

As I said, I don't consider this place as outstanding, but when I'm at Foodland anyway, I might return there from time to time.

Of course it's related.

The Reef Cantina (Old Tequila Reef)

https://www.facebook.com/thereefcantina/

https://en.tripadvisor.com.hk/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d2333588-Reviews-The_Reef_Cantina_Old_Tequila_Reef-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kdrayong said:

Tonight I have been to a place, where I will return for sure very soon.

An Italian Restaurant at Soi Roi Lang or Soi 27, Naklua Road, just opposite of the Lotus Express.

37783892jy.jpg

As a free hors d'oeuvre came some Pizza bread slices with a garlic-mayonnaise and some paprika-tomato sauce. Very delicious.

37783850yh.jpg

As another starter we chose the baked eggplant, topped with tomato and mozarella cheese. We loved it. 50 Baht.

37783849wr.jpg

But the very highlight was the tomato soup. Freshly made, intense aroma, no taste of starch. Italian cuisine at it's best. 100 Baht.

37783896yq.jpg

As the main course we ordered was Spaghetti Carbonara. 250 Baht, a huge portion, very tasty and just another reason to return there.

531166.jpg.c640725329fccd00d56c9fb43ba6a674.jpg

Another main course was Pizza Salame e Funghi. The small size for just 150 Baht, but more than enough for me as a single dish. We needed doggie bags. Okay, the pizza itself wouldn't be a reason for me to return there - I had better ones, preferring a thinner crust. However, as a Kee Niau, I might just have the pizza again for this very little price.

37783895jg.jpg

The chef 'Salvotore' is a very nice guy and prepares the food himself with some kitchen helpers. His first restaurant he opened at Berlin at the age of 25 years and has been living in Spain after Berlin for a long time. The guy on the left, with the white shirt.

37783894jd.jpg

Conclusion

I just can recommend this place and will be back soon again. Salvatore is not so happy with the location and thinks about to move somewhere else. Understandable for me.

Needs to give the place a proper name. "Salvatore's" would be just fine. No signage is visible from the main road.

Moving onto the main Pattaya/Naklua Road would be easy enough as there are always empty units but rent would be much higher, I fear.

He opened in high season and it is still a busy time now. Will he get enough covers between May and September? I wish him well; he is clearly a good cook.

• Like 1

You guys got me in the mood for some Mex.

Hit up The Reef.  Wanted something lite got the Taco salad with chunk beef.

It was good.  Lots of beef and veggies under the salad.

245 b maybe a little pricey.

There are some tacos and a beef burrito in the 100 b range.  Thai food also for your gf.

Anyway, something different for a quick lunch getting tired of Big C and Tesco food courts.

IMG-20200202-WA0005.jpeg

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, hackjam said:

Today, spotted  sign outside Tinnies in Jomtien advertising Beef Brisket for 350B. Goes to show importance of proper advertising.

It was a nice meal, quiet filling. Potatoes good and beef good, smokey tasting, had it with brisket juices instead of BBQ sauce, beef was not dry and had a little fat on.

At 350B, it is what I would consider a tad pricy. Anything over 300B should have that WOW factor. Comes with red cabbage or garden peas, which are quiet boring in my book. If it was something like a mixture of garden peas and say carrots, would certainly improve the dish overall.

I do like Tinnies, nice to eat in AC place, they do good pies also and I visit about once a month, seems reasonably busy every time I visit or walk past. Saying that, reckon its overpriced and also, they should do a cheap daily special, always good to get punters in the door, who will then look at the menu and maybe return, although they do display a menu outside, which is a major fail for some places that don't.

bb thumbnail_IMG_0188.jpg

Looks nice, decent portion. As you say, it's pricey; brisket is a cheap cut supposedly.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, champers said:

Looks nice, decent portion. As you say, it's pricey; brisket is a cheap cut supposedly.

I've never seen beef brisket sold cheaply in Thailand at a restaurant but you're right that in the west it's considered a peasant cut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1