The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I was wondering the same. Formerly on Soi Buakhao specializing in Brit takeaway style Chinese food and pretty good if I recall. A UK guy whose Thai wife did the cooking.

8 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Yep. Always had major problems with staffing in the restaurant and eventually closed and moved to a cabin on LK Metro opposite Billabong. Last heard of working in conjunction with a restaurant in Rhompo. Have been able to buy their frozen takaways from a couple of farang minimarts on the Darkside until recently. IMO the best Chinese food in Pattaya.

Rattana has been cooking in Glasgow (and Dublin, if I remember correctly) for many years now.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Glasgow rings a bell.

Yes, her husband was Scottish, and she learned how to cook in Glasgow, before opening Wok n Rok.

I know they then returned to Glasgow, but I remember reading somewhere that she was now cooking in Dublin.

48 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Yes, her husband was Scottish, and she learned how to cook in Glasgow, before opening Wok n Rok.

I know they then returned to Glasgow, but I remember reading somewhere that she was now cooking in Dublin.

It must have been fairly recent as I was buying their frozen meals in Siamsbury's about a year ago.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, champers said:

Just in Soi 4 off Pattaya Nua opposite the big jewellry place. I come here quite regularly now for coffee and cake which costs 100 Baht, 45 for coffee and 55 for chocolate fudge cake which is excellent value.

Although it looks the same, I do pay more at Black Canyon in Big CX. (although a large coffee).. the traffic mess due to Terminal 21 is keeping me away from that end of town these days. Although I do turn into that soi to get to the Tesco car park on occasion, I will give it a try. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is more of a foodie type post than a formal review but as I've said before this thread is open to ALL kinds of information sharing related to Pattaya area restaurants.

I'm seriously into Chinese food and even though I've never been to China (and don't really feel the need to go) I do have a lot of experience eating regional Chinese food in different countries. 

Well, as far as I know, I've never encountered HENANESE food before now. No, not HUNANESE (lots of experience with that) -- HENANESE. 

Anyway, as an example of how Pattaya in a few short years has developed into a city where you can get some seriously good, authentic Chinese food, I encounter this Henanese dish on two local menus. I've never seen it before anywhere in any country.

The dish is Fatty Beef in Sour Soup. 

The two menus are previously mentioned (and wonderful!) Lv Yuan restaurant in Jomtien at the closed Bruno's location and also a NEW restaurant in North Pattaya on 2nd road in the Koreantown Burger King internal open mall not far from tourist trappy Pattaya Chinatown.

The dish was 259 at Lv Yuan and 320 at Lao Ye Jia Chang Cai. It's the first Chinese restaurant on the left hand as you enter the Burger King Koreatown mall.

I have eaten there once already and I will eventually post about it. So far, very promising. 

So I tried it at Lv Yuan and it was indeed a new experience for me. Their version was a massive portion, the thin sliced beef was tender and didn't have all that much fat (happy about that), and it also included really good bamboo shorts and vermicelli noodles. The broth as advertised was sour. It wasn't spicy at all but there were a few chilis in it. As it's my first experience with this dish, I don't have a context to compare it to.  As I dish I enjoyed it very much but it's not a dish I will want to eat very frequently. 

So what I'm basically saying now is that Chinese food "foodies" or whatever slur you want to call them can find satisfaction in today's Pattaya. I think that's very cool.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 7:08 AM, DannyCarlton said:

Yep. Always had major problems with staffing in the restaurant and eventually closed and moved to a cabin on LK Metro opposite Billabong. Last heard of working in conjunction with a restaurant in Rhompo. Have been able to buy their frozen takaways from a couple of farang minimarts on the Darkside until recently. IMO the best Chinese food in Pattaya.

Scottish guy, was operating out of Corner Bar at Rhompo, pretty sure he moved back to the mother land.

Never tried but know people rated it.

To add some information about the more rare dish mentioned above:

http://chopsticksandmarrow.com/2016/12/su-xiang-yuans-fatty-beef-in-sour-stock-satisfies/

More about Henanese food:

http://chopsticksandmarrow.com/2013/01/an-ancient-chinese-soup-secret-in-flushing/

That New York restaurant was featured by Anthony Bourdain.

To be clear this isn't about eating in New York. I added this info to expand on a type of food that we can get in Pattaya at at least two places.

Edited by Jingthing

On 11/13/2019 at 2:40 PM, champers said:

The Balcony.

Just in Soi 4 off Pattaya Nua opposite the big jewellry place. I come here quite regularly now for coffee and cake which costs 100 Baht, 45 for coffee and 55 for chocolate fudge cake which is excellent value. I am no coffee expert but my Americano was smooth and mellow. The cake was scrumptious, moist and flavoursome.

They do meals and sell large decorated cakes. From the outside the place looks a bit of a dump but there is a nice terrace outside and inside is pleasantly light and airy.

I have never seen any other customers there which is a shame. I think this place is a bit of a hidden gem and hope people will give it a try. It is a 5 minute stroll down the hill from Fascino and less than that up the hill from Terminal 21.

20191113_141035.jpg

20191113_140631.jpg

20191113_140350.jpg

20191113_140256.jpg

20191113_140309.jpg

I remember like 20 years ago The Balcony was a destination restaurant for gay tourists. I have never been there and it seems like they've seen better days. Good for them for hanging on!

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

Scottish guy, was operating out of Corner Bar at Rhompo, pretty sure he moved back to the mother land.

Yep same guy, he was there until mid 2018 and dissapeared. Shame, it was the only Chinese food that I would eat in Pattaya.

Spotted on Facebook, and probably worth posting here ..

End of an era, as Smokin' Joe's and Steak & Co change hands. Sold to a Korean/Japanese venture. Former owner Ian has taken out a lease on a Lengkee unit (photo), to be converted to a Western-style Chinese restaurant and takeaway, with delivery of course, under the 'Hungry Panda' name, and is looking at other potential investments around town. Good to see some money is still being spent in Pattaya and in Lengkee, which has been suffering of late..

EDIT - just to make it clear, SJ’s and S&C are NOT closing, as far as anyone knows so far it’s carrying on as normal under the new owners...

76762528_10220311940684921_7517069461019426816_n.jpg.9b80dc241f02f26f58b3adeb4dce6e22.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

Spotted on Facebook, and probably worth posting here ..

End of an era, as Smokin' Joe's and Steak & Co change hands. Sold to a Korean/Japanese venture. Former owner Ian has taken out a lease on a Lengkee unit (photo), to be converted to a Western-style Chinese restaurant and takeaway, with delivery of course, under the 'Hungry Panda' name, and is looking at other potential investments around town. Good to see some money is still being spent in Pattaya and in Lengkee, which has been suffering of late..

EDIT - just to make it clear, SJ’s and S&C are NOT closing, as far as anyone knows so far it’s carrying on as normal under the new owners...

76762528_10220311940684921_7517069461019426816_n.jpg.9b80dc241f02f26f58b3adeb4dce6e22.jpg

So, a Korean / Japanese venture are going to be selling western style ribs and steaks?  Really?

• Haha 1

Tulip Restaurant/Cafe, Soi Khau Talo

is a nice addition to the dark side. Located near the Livv Restaurant, it provides a wide variety of breakfasts. Also has a bakery.

I had the german breakfast for 180 Baht, which was good, and the price is ok.

Seating is inside, with a/c, and outside, big area, and a welcoming set up.

On 11/22/2019 at 9:11 AM, JaiLai said:

Had he taken over from the English guy? I had heard he (English guy) married his longtime who ran the bar then there was a domestic problem. Lucky he got out alive.

Beach Eats

High end food court

Central Pattaya beach mall

This is what replaced the old more typical lower end food court on the 2nd road side of the ground floor of the mall.

The old places had already moved to beach side in a new food court space a bit pimped up but for anyone that knew the old place you can see they serve almost the exact same food.

Anyway this new higher end place is definitely something new. They are serving many dishes that you won't find in local food court, Including most astonishingly an 800 baht lobster tom yum!  So it's more of a try at a gourmet food court. I browsed it while not hungry but otherwise I would have tried it. Standouts to me were that EL GRECO the well regarded but poorly located Greek restaurant (also on Grab food) has an outlet there (for slightly higher than their regular prices) and also there is a very promising Chinese place with wonderful looking roast duck and such unusual to find in food court dishes such as Sichuan crispy mala chicken. The latter is a mere 100 baht for a small portion so please don't get the idea that it will necessarily break the bank to eat at this food court.

People as you try some of the places in the new Beach Eats please feel encouraged to "review" the food that you eat there on this thread as the place represents several new mini restaurants.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Beach Eats

High end food court

Central Pattaya beach mall

This is what replaced the old more typical lower end food court on the 2nd road side of the ground floor of the mall.

The old places had already moved to beach side in a new food court space a bit pimped up but for anyone that knew the old place you can see they serve almost the exact same food.

Anyway this new higher end place is definitely something new. They are serving many dishes that you won't find in local food court, Including most astonishingly an 800 baht lobster tom yum!  So it's more of a try at a gourmet food court. I browsed it while not hungry but otherwise I would have tried it. Standouts to me were that EL GRECO the well regarded but poorly located Greek restaurant (also on Grab food) has an outlet there (for slightly higher than their regular prices) and also there is a very promising Chinese place with wonderful looking roast duck and such unusual to find in food court dishes such as Sichuan crispy mala chicken. The latter is a mere 100 baht for a small portion so please don't get the idea that it will necessarily break the bank to eat at this food court.

People as you try some of the places in the new Beach Eats please feel encouraged to "review" the food that you eat there on this thread as the place represents several new mini restaurants.

Walked by yesterday and it was rather quiet. Perhaps things will pick up when more people find out it is now open but I think many will be put off by the higher prices. There are far cheaper alternatives at Avenue, Central Marina, RGP and T21. It's not as if there is a decent view while you eat.

4 minutes ago, champers said:

Walked by yesterday and it was rather quiet. Perhaps things will pick up when more people find out it is now open but I think many will be put off by the higher prices. There are far cheaper alternatives at Avenue, Central Marina, RGP and T21. It's not as if there is a decent view while you eat.

Well I was frankly kind of surprised about the prices there and wondered myself if this kind of concept will really work in Pattaya. An initial thought was -- LIKE BANGKOK. But they are indeed offering many new dishes. For example the Greek pasta with lamb at 350 baht. So in such cases it's more about do you want to eat that kind of dish and are you willing to pay the price just the same as a regular restaurant, or not? Many restaurants are thriving with similar price points but I'm not making any predictions. 

Edited by Jingthing

48 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well I was frankly kind of surprised about the prices there and wondered myself if this kind of concept will really work in Pattaya. An initial thought was -- LIKE BANGKOK. But they are indeed offering many new dishes. For example the Greek pasta with lamb at 350 baht. So in such cases it's more about do you want to eat that kind of dish and are you willing to pay the price just the same as a regular restaurant, or not? Many restaurants are thriving with similar price points but I'm not making any predictions. 

Maybe the weekends will be busier when Bangkokians arrive.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I'd say a food court is next to a prison cell in atmosphere so wouldn't spend any money there, I'd go to a real restaurant. But Bangkokians that never leave an AC'd mall in their lifetime should feel right at home.

• Haha 2

T21 is by far the best food court in town.

I think Central has always done well because Jomtieners seem to not want to travel the extra 5 minutes or so to T21. 

One evidence is Central FC always seems full of Russians.

In an event, good info. and nice to have options with the new spot at Central.

Edited by bkk6060

15 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

T21 is by far the best food court in town.

I think Central has always done well because Jomtieners seem to not want to travel the extra 5 minutes or so to T21. 

One evidence is Central FC always seems full of Russians.

In an event, good info. and nice to have options with the new spot at Central.

Yeah definitely T21 is the best more classic Thai foods food court in town and the best prices as well. But you can't really compare to the new Beach Eats place that has special dishes such as a large Greek food menu and a more gourmet type of Chinese place, among others. 

Mihimihi French puff pastry sticks

T21 mall, London floor, in the row of dessert and snack stalls near Foodland

This is an Asian chain but I'm not sure about which nation it comes from. 

Mimimihi is a Maori word so maybe that means it's from New Zealand?

It also appears to be a money machine.

Basically they are pastry sticks which they fill up with your choice of flavor creamy stuff upon ordering. 

They've been open about 4 days already.

Unlike some locations they don't appear to have ice cream fillings.

They do have souffles though.

One stick is 70 baht and a soufflé is 120. 

The flavors for the sticks were original, chocolate, latte, and macha with a temporary flavor or strawberry cheesecake.

I went with their best seller, the original, one stick.

The pastry stick was imbedded with toasted almond, on the sweet side but not too much, the original cream filling didn't fill the stick so well but what was there was lighter and less sweet than I would have expected. Overall a very pleasant and LIGHT dessert snack. I can understand why people get addicted to these sticks. 

The flavor profile of the original flavor with toasted almond stick reminded me very much of a favorite treat from my childhood --

Good Humor vanilla ice cream with toasted almond bar! I think many Americans know that one, not sure if it was ever international. 

https://www.instacart.com/products/141303-good-humor-bar-toasted-almond-6-ct

So obviously  I loved my stick because the flavor brought me back to my childhood.

More info from a Malaysia branch:

https://klfoodie.com/this-new-pastry-shop-serves-french-puffs-which-are-vowed-to-hit-your-sweet-spot/

Edited by Jingthing