The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

8 minutes ago, petermik said:

Methinks El Greco at the prices they are charging is going to struggle.....190 baht for spagbol in a food court :whistling:

I think it's too early for such predictions. The question for me is whether their food will be as good as in their original location. 

• Like 2

hi,

I posted this somewhere else but it was deleted and i was asked to post here, as i am seriously looking for more food options.

when in pattaya i only eat thai food at kiss because:

- 4 kiss restaurants all sell the same dishes cooked with the same ingredients

- 4 kiss restaurants never miss any ingredient

- 4 kiss restaurants do not use MSG monoglutamate pomchoorotforidiots

- 4 kiss restaurants do not cook over greasy food.

- 4 kiss restaurants are open 24 hours 365 days

in 2020 I cannot stand anymore all these ridiculous people who believe that they are chef because they cook as dirty food as their mothers did.

in 2020 I cannot stand anymore all these ridiculous people who are not able to always cook the same dish exactly as it should be but change it depending on their mood/idiocrazy of the day.

in 2020 I cannot stand anymore all these ridiculous people who are not able to have the correct ingredients (MAI MEE...).

in 2020 I cannot stand anymore all these ridiculous people who think that thai food is not good without MSG or sugar.

So do you know any other reliable place in Pattaya, or should i stay with KISS ?

Please do not talk about any dirty street seller or any idiot restaurant owner that opens its shop once in a while and that you are likely to find closed if it's not the right day or the right time ????

--------------------------------------------------

Also, if you do not like kiss, why not trying to explain why if you are able to ? Because i am not really interested to know your feeling but I want facts, as in my opinion saying that kiss thai food is not good enough for you, it means that you only like poisoned greasy food that 90% thai restaurants sell. It also means that you are now as good as Thai to like only sweet and full of salt and sauce dangerous food.

Any REAL (and smart if possible) opinion welcome !

Thank you for your help, but if you think that nothing exists as good and reliable as KISS, i will keep going there.

Last weekend I wanted to go to Cafe Le Mar in Jomthien for a pizza, but stopped when I saw "Permanently Closed" in google maps. Now it doesn't even seem to find the place anymore. Has the last refuge of western food on southern Jomthien fallen prey to the Chinese invasion? Was just a matter of time anyway, the quality went down during the Russian invasion already.

1 hour ago, rech said:

So do you know any other reliable place in Pattaya, or should i stay with KISS ?

Try tookladee at Foodland, Royal Garden Plaza, down at the carage level. They serve same type of affordable average tasting Thai food but IMHO with better ingredients.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Try tookladee at Foodland, Royal Garden Plaza, down at the carage level. They serve same type of affordable average tasting Thai food but IMHO with better ingredients.

yes, not bad and 24 hours, but where have you seen better ingredients and what are better ingredients ? is there any way to check it or do we need to be experts ?

4 hours ago, rech said:

hi,

I posted this somewhere else but it was deleted and i was asked to post here, as i am seriously looking for more food options.

when in pattaya i only eat thai food at kiss because:

- 4 kiss restaurants all sell the same dishes cooked with the same ingredients

- 4 kiss restaurants never miss any ingredient

- 4 kiss restaurants do not use MSG monoglutamate pomchoorotforidiots

- 4 kiss restaurants do not cook over greasy food.

- 4 kiss restaurants are open 24 hours 365 days

Also, if you do not like kiss, why not trying to explain why if you are able to ? Because i am not really interested to know your feeling but I want facts, as in my opinion saying that kiss thai food is not good enough for you, it means that you only like poisoned greasy food that 90% thai restaurants sell. It also means that you are now as good as Thai to like only sweet and full of salt and sauce dangerous food.

Any REAL (and smart if possible) opinion welcome !

I try to avoid Kiss Food because - at least for my taste buds - there are many better available options.

Prajanban Restaurant - ข้าวต้มประจัญบาน - Pattaya Klang

KonLaFan ร้านคนล่าฝัน. Ok it is more like a Thai pub but the food there is quite good.

Somtam Na Mueang - ส้มตำหน้าเมือง พัทยา - North Pattaya Road

Noodle Shop on Spouth Pattaya Road - ก๋วยเตี๋ยวบ้านบึง พัทยาใต้

3 minutes ago, rech said:

yes, not bad and 24 hours, but where have you seen better ingredients and what are better ingredients ? is there any way to check it or do we need to be experts ?

The veggies seem fresher. Just my observation, I don't really frequent either.

Home Chef Pizza - Dark side: https://goo.gl/maps/iDypPoVejF6RJZu6A 

I went here as we were driving around and felt hungry. It's right across from a construction supply shop, but the restaurant is on the second floor and offers a view down the hill and a nice breeze. I liked the vibe, like something from 10y ago. Parking right at front.

The menu is fairly extensive with western and Thai foods. I opted for a wrap with beef taco filling, wasn't expecting much. Turned out to be quite a decent lunch. Wife had some Thai food and was pleased. I think the bill with a couple of big Heinekens was about 350baht.

I think this'll be our "go-to" place from now on for a quick bite during the day.  

• Thanks 2

Major new food find in a rather surprising setting. Yes, I've tried it (not free) and this is a winner. Run don't walk there. If the stairs put you off there is a nearby elevator. If Pattaya people don't support food this good at prices this reasonable, then what that says about Pattaya is not good!

Robin Hood Tavern

MAX's MENU (small gourmet level plates)

Avenue Mall front

2nd road

One floor up

Bonus -- No plus plus on the bill. 

This video tells you all you need to know about Max's menu so I won't bother!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

One comment on the new food court at Central.......HELLA DAMM EXPENSIVE.....

Yeah, it's a "luxury" food court concept. But they still have the more budget friendly one with the same food as before on the beach side, but they raised the prices on that as well! So I think most locals anyway are going to T21 for the classic budget food court experience. 

• Like 1

We just had pad seyu moo and rad na at the food court in Avenue mall. 55 or 65 baht each. My pad seeyu was better than at the Thai outlets in T21 food court and many local restaurants. Such a simple dish, but it does the trick.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

We just had pad seyu moo and rad na at the food court in Avenue mall. 55 or 65 baht each. My pad seeyu was better than at the Thai outlets in T21 food court and many local restaurants. Such a simple dish, but it does the trick.

Yeah, I've had some OK Thai food there.

I was sad though that the Taiwanese food stall closed. I may have been their only customer, ha ha.

Now that you mention it there is a basic Thai dish (pad krapow) that I've tried at two stalls at T21 and both times really not good at all (and had a better but not great one at the Avenue). 

On 12/7/2019 at 1:21 PM, Jingthing said:

Major new food find in a rather surprising setting. Yes, I've tried it (not free) and this is a winner. Run don't walk there. If the stairs put you off there is a nearby elevator. If Pattaya people don't support food this good at prices this reasonable, then what that says about Pattaya is not good!

Robin Hood Tavern

MAX's MENU (small gourmet level plates)

Avenue Mall front

2nd road

One floor up

Bonus -- No plus plus on the bill. 

This video tells you all you need to know about Max's menu so I won't bother!

I went and yes, good. The price is ok, I had four items. Especially the mini burgers were really good. The place was packed on Saturday. Still life left in the old Avenue.

• Thanks 1

Yesterday, went to Robin Hood at Avenue and had Sunday Roast. Have to say, one of the best Sunday Roasts I have had in Pattaya. Its seems to be a buffet type set up, I opted for the large plated meal, for 299B with 30B extra for lamb. So the drill is, you just go up and get them to carve meat-I had lamb and chicken and help yourself to veg etc. I suspect you can go all in and have starter and desert and as many trips as you want?? They also do small plated dinner, think it was 199B, service good-all service girls fit, which is always easy on the eye.

All good quality and fair price, would recommend.

• Like 2

Yeah I don't require roast dinners very often but thought it was pretty good at Robin Hood the one time I went.

I want to add that on top of their regular menu and Max's wonderful small plate menu they also do DAILY SPECIALS and they seem quite attractive (and good value) as well. 

Robin Hood may well have found the sweet spot in a location that has proved challenging to say the least for previous restaurants there.

Check out the specials on FB or on the placard on the ground floor under the restaurant:

https://www.facebook.com/Therobinhoodpattaya/

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, TaaSaparot said:

In case someone missed it, Tequila Reef re-opens tomorrow, as Reef Cantina in Welcome Town, off Pattaya Glang.

Thanks, interesting location they chose. For me better because of parking but not much foot traffic. Not sure if it can survive there. Seems to be part of a general trend of western joints moving away from beach road side. 

On 12/8/2019 at 11:58 AM, Jingthing said:

A rather depressing long walk on Naklua Road checking out the many Chinese (etc.) restaurants there

True confession -- since T21 Mall opened I hadn't been north of North Pattaya Road.

Some members here mentioned a blooming of multiple new Chinese restaurants on or near Naklua road so I knew I had to take a walk.

So the other night (after eating at the Mall) I did some exploration going up and down the road, as far as past Aiyarlee Hotel and then back down to North road.

I did indeed find the promised numerous new Chinese restaurants (though at least one had existed before).

I am not even going to list all the places because all I did was have a look at them and looked at the menus if available (most of them were in Chinese with no pictures).

All of them were either empty or only had a few customers. Without exception I am very sorry to say the owners and/or staff were unpleasant, unwelcoming, perhaps even afraid of dealing with a westerner.

Now unlike some I think if I really want to eat at a place I will work through unfriendliness and still eat there. There were at least one or two places on my walking tour that I felt were worth returning to because they had interesting menus and also somewhat lower prices than Chinese places in other Pattaya area locations.

I saw one or two Chinese restaurants that appeared to be on the verge of opening or perhaps they had recently closed!

So I will be back later to check on changes there.

Is "crashing" into places where it's clear you're not really welcome something most people are going to bother with? I think not.

One place in particular gave me a really bad feeling. I went in and spent some time perusing the menu (some of them have some English or pictures) and the owner was giving me such a dirty look. Turns out the menu interested me enough to put it on a list to return to when hungry. So I said thank you to the dirty looker for the chance to look at the menu and then left. He then gave me the nastiest smirk like he was saying -- I knew this round eye man wasn't ever going to eat here -- we don't have gloopy sauced General Tso's chicken or chop suey. 

That was actually hilarious to be so falsely judged that way just based on race but also depressing. 

If/when I actually eat in any of these places I will post about them specifically. 

Be clear I am not saying all of the Chinese restaurants in town are unwelcoming to non-Chinese. There are many that either are very welcoming or neutral.

Also I imagine some of the surly ones could be softened by eating there and showing appreciation for the food. 

To add the place called Wok and Roll that replaced the best seat on the corner of North and Naklua road has a Thai chef that lived in Brunei and is offering a Malaysian menu. But it's not really developed or priced yet so thats definitely another one to check out later. 

It looks like supply is currently outstripping demand but there is a lot of accommodation under construction in the area so thst may change. The new place next door to Kiss is on the point of opening and unless it is outstanding food at very reasonable prices it will likely struggle.

You may have missed the new Italian place on Soi 27 (Roilung), just before Kiss. I took a look at 7pm on Saturday and though not yet open, they have a menu pasted in the window and all tables and chairs in place so must be close to opening. Another poster (sorry, I can't recall who) flagged this place up and advised it had a Sicilian owner. Prices seem par for the course and the menu looks decent with a couple of nods to Sicily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi

The Italian restaurant  on soi 27 indeed very close to opening.

A day or 2, owner just waiting now for menus back from printers.

Nicely laid out. I chat to the owner,  I have no connection with the place though.

I still have my doubts about the location but only time will tell.

The place next door to Kiss appears to be opening very soon as a Thai seafood place, the location has been the kiss of death for the last 2 businesses there, both very overpriced though.

It is generally very quiet here.

Loma ( naklua ) night market seems to be doing a fairly decent trade amongst some of their food stalls.

Located on the left just past soi 18/2.

About 30 or 40 food stalls.

Runs from about 5.00PM to around midnight.

Fish and chip stall there is OK, did start out at 69 baht, now 89 baht.

Actually quite good, have eaten there.

• Like 1