The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Yes indeed. I was there about six weeks ago and then he expressed his concern about lack of customers. He said he was thinking of actually relocating out of Thailand to another country because he couldn't see any improvement in the short to medium term! Because undoubtedly he had great food and he thought could take that concept may be to Europe.

I have been up in northern Thailand for a few weeks and just recently returned so I was completely shocked to find out today he had already evidently made the decision and moved out already.

Interesting that you should say that. On my few visits there, which I enjoyed greatly, as the food was very good, but I could not understand the business model.

Two things intrigued me. One was the fact they only opened at 11.30am and could be a little tardy about this. So they were missing out on the early morning trade and also possibly the lunch time trade ---- this is 60% of the business thrown away.

The second was the pricing structure may have been a shade too high for many Lanna people. They know where to go to get Khao Soi for 40 baht, so why charge 55 baht.

Anyway, good luck to the young couple. Their food was great. Hope they get the right business plan sorted out next time

They gave 5 pieces of chicken in every serving of Khao Soi. you cant do that for 40 baht ?

Even one of the best Khao Soi restaurants in Chiang Mai charges 40 baht but you only get one small chicken piece.

I considered the standard of the food and pricing was excellent and good value

They gave 5 pieces of Chicken in the large bowl of Khao Soi which if I remember right was 75 baht.

First time I had the beef version (large) it was packed full of slices of tender beef, which I thought at the time was a little bit OTT.

On my last visit, i was fishing about in the soup for tiny scraps of beef, which was ridiculous (and they knew it).

Sorry, but standards slipped dramatically by the end.

Still a very decent Khao Soi can be had a little further north at 'Reuan Khao Poon'.

..For me Jockey's Restaurant in Soi Lenkee - "shines out like a shaft of gold, when all around is dark"..............

Um. Why?

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good quality food, sensibly priced (daily special 149b), nice surroundings, good friendly service and air conditioned......that do ya ?

• Like 1

Siam@Siam boutique hotel on 2nd Rd (across from Big C north)

The trendy boutique hotel, Siam@Siam in Bangkok surprisingly built a stunning structure in North Pattaya near where all the other 5star hotels are located. Check out the bar, the Car Bar, with its unique interior including vintage Volkswagon or rickshaw for sitting area. Happy hour, between 5:30- 7:00

The deal of the week: On Friday and Saturday nights, starting around pm, the restaurant called the Big Fish, on the 6th floor, has a buffet for around 520baht, with all the wine you want to drink, around 750 baht. Again the interior is unique and trendy. Well trained, professional staff. An assortment of fresh seafood (shrimp,crab,clams, fish) and meats along with salads and gourmet dishes already prepared. NOTE: Be sure to stress to the cook how you want your fish, chicken or beef cooked or it will be flipped on the grill for less than a minute and it will be served rare.

• Thanks 1

..For me Jockey's Restaurant in Soi Lenkee - "shines out like a shaft of gold, when all around is dark"..............

Um. Why?

Good quality food, sensibly priced (daily special 149b), nice surroundings, good friendly service and air conditioned......that do ya ?

Its good value (cheap) but a bit bland, more "wholesome" than tasty. The same guy did and maybe still does manage the 18 Coins restaurant kitchen.

If you note the sandwich board outside either place they are identical in lettering design and the daily specials are obviously from the same thought process and prices as well.

At least the service is better at Jockeys, at 18 Coins is terrible.

Another place offering similar bland and cheap daily specials is Jollys on Soi Bukhaow, having said that their Sunday Roasts buffet is rather good, not spectacular, but good value.

• Thanks 1

The deal of the week: On Friday and Saturday nights, starting around pm, the restaurant called the Big Fish, on the 6th floor, has a buffet for around 520baht, with all the wine you want to drink, around 750 baht. Again the interior is unique and trendy.

It's 550B and 800B. The decor can only really be described as grotesque, and the live music is mostly too loud.

A shame this got posted as I expect a whole load of idiots will go along there and spoil it. Ah well, it wont be the first time. sad.png

The deal of the week: On Friday and Saturday nights, starting around pm, the restaurant called the Big Fish, on the 6th floor, has a buffet for around 520baht, with all the wine you want to drink, around 750 baht. Again the interior is unique and trendy.

It's 550B and 800B. The decor can only really be described as grotesque, and the live music is mostly too loud.

A shame this got posted as I expect a whole load of idiots will go along there and spoil it. Ah well, it wont be the first time. sad.png

Do you really think that many people read the food gossip on this thread? coffee1.gif

That place got a rave "review" in the local "press"

• Like 1

Do you really think that many people read the food gossip on this thread?

That place got a rave "review" in the local "press"

I know, but I doubt that anyone has any real credence in what "Miss Terry" or "Mick" or their cohorts say. (I suspect that most local newspaper reviews and general articles are in fact written by just one person anyway, who is a hospital doctor in his spare time).

Unlike in the press, the reviews in here (as far as I know) are not given in return for free food or extended advertising contracts. Mine certainly aren't anyway; but perhaps that's where I'm going wrong.

• Like 1

Chimaki Japanese Restaurant Soi 3

Located between Beach Road and 2nd road, North side of street, North Pattaya

I don't claim to be an expert on Japanese food (it's actually not my favorite but I still like it) but I have experienced world class Japanese food in my life, mostly in Japantown, San Francisco and also Vancouver, B.C.

Anyway, on a recent trip to the USA I had some life changing Tonkotsu ramen that has me craving Japanese food back in Pattaya. I mean it was really one of the best soup dishes I ever had in my life, served at a fantastic place specializing in it and patronized by Japanese chefs.

Anyway, as we know, Pattaya's Japanese restaurant scene is rather sparse if you're looking for something with more character and soul than Fuji and Zen.

I am not a big fan of the place near Tukcom (it's OK) and the Soi Yamato place just doesn't appeal to me to even try for some reason.

Anyway, I would like to suggest to anyone who likes Japanese food to give this place on Soi 3 a try. I know it isn't world class like the best places in Bangkok but I thought it was quite good for Pattaya.

It's quite small and I think tends to be packed with Japanese people (good sign, right?). When I was there, the groups were VERY LOUD. Maybe better if you can find a slow time, if they have them.

They are closed Mondays ...

Also serve lunch (lower priced items offered!) but closed between lunch and dinner.

I had , you guessed it, the Tonkotsu ramen and a cold baked eggplant dish served with a creamy miso sauce. The ramen definitely had more character than the same dish at Zen ... but really it didn't even come close to the life changing ramen I am now comparing against. But still, I did enjoy it. The eggplant dish was excellent.

I have a strong feeling most everything is at least decent at this place.

I can also tell that even though they have a smallish menu, they feature some specialties that aren't generally on menus in town.

There is also a daily specials menu board.

The menu has some pictures and the Japanese is translated into English transliterations of the Japanese (generally without descriptions).

It is accessible enough to adventurous non-Japanese diners, but it's doubtful many will understand everything about everything on their menu.

Some websites for details.

You can translate from the Japanese with chrome.

Old review but still many of the same dishes:

http://www.bangkoknavi.com/food/155/

Seems like restaurant website:

http://chimaki.meltworld.com/

Prices are moderate.

The ramen was 145 (cheaper for lunch). The eggplant was 80.

Again, don't expect the best Japanese food in the world, but I think many seeking more "Japanese taste" Japanese food will be pleased more than well enough.

I think that I will never find a Tonkotsu ramen in Pattaya that comes close to my life changing one ... but perhaps in Bangkok.

I think this explains why ... to do it really right, lots of work!:

• Tonkotsu (豚骨, "pork bone"; not to be confused with tonkatsu) ramen usually has a cloudy white colored broth. It is similar to the Chinese baitang (白湯) and has a thick broth made from boiling pork bones, fat, and collagen over high heat for many hours, which suffuses the broth with a hearty pork flavor and a creamy consistency that rivals milk, melted butter or gravy (depending on the shop). Most shops, but not all, blend this pork broth with a small amount of chicken and vegetable stock and/or soy sauce. The noodles are thin and straight, and it is often served with beni shoga (pickled ginger). In recent years the latest trend in tonkotsu toppings is māyu (sesame oil), a blackish, aromatic oil made from either charred crushed garlic or Sesame seeds. It is a specialty of Kyushu, particularly Hakata-ku, Fukuoka (hence sometimes called "Hakata ramen").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonkotsu#Tonkotsu

Edited by Jingthing

The TAIWAN RESTAURANT previously reported on is now officially a thing.

Business is buzzing there, they have expanded their menu significantly, the food is tasty/interesting/different, and the prices are certainly right.

No, it's not the gourmet experience of your life awaiting, but let's get real.

Suggest multiple dishes if you're hungry and wish some variety ... so expect to spend about 150 baht person.

Or you could do one dish for a light meal (there is also a noodle soup dish) and spend about 60 baht.

The menu though expanded doesn't mean they actually have everything shown on the menu. As they don't. But hopefully that will improve.

Tried the pork belly rice plate ... the sweet and sour tofu ... and the Chinese style Morning Glory

All very pleasant, mostly fat in the pork belly but that's authentic, the sweet and sour tofu was different than a Western Chinese or Thai Chinese sweet and sour experience very tomato intense I liked it a lot, the stir fried veg clean flavors good deal at 40 baht.

Taiwan Restaurant

2nd road

South Pattaya

Across from Mike Hotel (NOT Mike Shopping Mall)

The way it's going, I think this place being small, good food, good prices, it might start to be a problem to get a TABLE there.

Folks, we've got a WINNER. clap2.gif

How I wish there were MORE restaurants with the intelligent approach of this place! Limited menu, doing what they do well, not pretending to do everything in the world (you will not find BORSCHT on their menu), attractive prices, not wasting money on fancy decor so you don't have to pay for that either ...

Thanks JT, I tried Taiwan Restaurant in late afternoon recently, and was the only customer. I tried the fried tomato with egg (and onion) dish for 50 baht, and the soysauce-marinated ground pork over rice, at 40 baht. Both delicious and good value. The tomato dish had some small red chili peppers hiding underneath. I ate one and suffered for five minutes, but recovered.

I didn't try the "Fried Mater Convolvulus" which is morning glory called by its genus name, but at 40 baht I'll order it next time.

• Like 1

The morning glory is excellent there. licklips.gif

Exciting things are in the planning at Taiwan restaurant within some weeks or perhaps a month or so.

They will be significantly expanding their menu according to the people running this gem of a joint.

There will be some SHANGHAI dishes including the world famous Xalongpao "soup inside" dumplings.

There will be some popular SECHUAN dishes including Kung Pao Chicken and Ma Po Tofu. These dishes will unfortunately NOT have the "numbing" Sechuan peppers which would make them more authentic.

There will probably be more TAIWAN dishes on offer including a cold noodle dish.

There is enough on the menu now for occasional visits, but with a really expanded menu ... more reason to visit more often.

Edited by Jingthing

Casa Fellini has opened another restaurant at the old Papa Davids location in Jomtien. They opened 3 days ago but are still in the process of installing their pizza oven. From my experience, the Pattayaland location provides better service and consistency than the Rompo market restaurant. I particularly enjoy their oven baked pastas.

• Like 1

Casa Fellini has opened another restaurant at the old Papa Davids location in Jomtien. They opened 3 days ago but are still in the process of installing their pizza oven. From my experience, the Pattayaland location provides better service and consistency than the Rompo market restaurant. I particularly enjoy their oven baked pastas.

So they will keep the Rompho market one going too?

So they will keep the Rompho market one going too?

Yes, that's what I was told a few weeks ago but in this economic climate it doesn't make much sense to me. How many Italian restaurants can this area support?

• Like 1

I recently discovered Cafe Pitini on Soi Buakhao, and would like to give them a thumbs-up. Their service is excellent, the menu is comprehensive, their fish and chips is the best I've yet found in Pattaya or Jomtien, the restaurant is enclosed with cool airconditioning, the noise level is low, there is no smoking inside, newspapers provided free, open all afternoon, definitely my kind of eating place.

• Like 2

I recently discovered Cafe Pitini on Soi Buakhao, and would like to give them a thumbs-up. Their service is excellent, the menu is comprehensive, their fish and chips is the best I've yet found in Pattaya or Jomtien, the restaurant is enclosed with cool airconditioning, the noise level is low, there is no smoking inside, newspapers provided free, open all afternoon, definitely my kind of eating place.

Yes. Great cafe.

Well managed place.

Food is fine, but the service is always spot on.

I agree

fish,chips and peas, 149 baht if i remember right, excellant service and great value

I agree

fish,chips and peas, 149 baht if i remember right, excellant service and great value

Where on Soi Buakhao are they located?

I agree

Where on Soi Buakhao are they located?

Pitini is closer to Klang than to South Road. It's on the west side almost opposite Chaba Hut Resort, a bit south of RCon bar , near where soi 21 off 3rd Road ends at Buakhao, opposite Wok 'n' Rok.

• Like 1

News Flash! The Chinese restaurant on Klang, My Kitchen Pao, which has been closed most of this year, was open tonight. They opened at 7 pm. -- I think it used to be 6 -- so I stopped and ordered a bowl of pork ramen. 100 baht Yummy There were actually four other customers eating at the same time as me. Hope they try to stay open this time, as I like the food there and it's near my apartment.

News Flash! The Chinese restaurant on Klang, My Kitchen Pao, which has been closed most of this year, was open tonight. They opened at 7 pm. -- I think it used to be 6 -- so I stopped and ordered a bowl of pork ramen. 100 baht Yummy There were actually four other customers eating at the same time as me. Hope they try to stay open this time, as I like the food there and it's near my apartment.

Your hope is in vain. Restaurant is in the process of closing. For one last taste ... run don't walk

Edited by Jingthing