The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Was really quite impressed by the 'Curry Club' at Shenanigans in Jomtien - near to View Talay 7 .

Us Brits are really spoilt for choice at home and going out for an Indian meal is part of our culture ( usually from Bangladesh - not Indian really)

So back to the restaurant review - not a vast menu- about six starters - we had onion bhajis and lamb tikka- came with four chutneys .

Not bad- lamb tender and quite spicy hot.

Then the menu had the usual offerings, tikka Marsala ,Korma, jalfresi, butter chicken etc etc.

Choice of naans, paratha etc.

Rice was basmati- a pleasant change- huge portion of rice.

Was hot - but we had asked for spicy.

Personally I don't like the venue too much- very pub like , and I can't see the fascination for sport on TV everywhere- but appreciate that some do.

So overall, enjoyed the food- best Indian I have had in Thailand, probably not the most authentic- but if you a Brit missing those dinners out in your local Indian- try it out.

Price wise- I think was 300 for lamb main courses- less for Chicken. I don't really look at prices- so a bit vague - sorry

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

today Italian:

i tried the 'da vinci' restaurant and pizzeria in jomtien.

i had a pizza, others had sapaghetti cahbonala and the ham and cheese salad.

the pizza was really bad, in some places the dough was too thick and uncooked and burnt in others, the chosen salami topping was not the type of salami to be used on a pizza (very cheap and thin tipo milano salame), the whole thing had no taste - total failure.

the carbonara then was nothing like a carbonara, which normally is egg yolk, black pepper and bacon or ham. instead it was similar to the carbonara made by s&p sold frozen in plastic bags at makro.

it was in fact very very very similar, not only does it look exactly the same but i tasted it and i would be unable to tell a difference.

the ham and cheese salad was just in line with the rest - soft industrial cheese without taste with cheap insipid ham and a salad sauce from a bottle on top.

i decided to visit the place because i had heard they had an italian chef and made good pizza. what a disappointment.

the food is reasonably priced (we ate on the terrace), although soft drinks are 50 baht.

the positive note is about the staff who spoke english well and were polite and friendly and seemed capable of following service protocol, although that always feels a bit over the top in pattaya, especially opposite rompho market and bars.

did da vinci lose its italian chef?

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry about your experience at the Italian restaurant with a wise man's name. If you go down the street towards soi 5, there is a place called "Made in Italy" (roughly on the corner of soi 5 near the 7-11). You can order pizza (very good stagione....excellent thin crust) and other pasta items. I love their meat ravioli w/ bolognese sauce, which comes with Italian bread and freshly grated cheese. The place is air-conditioned and the staff are helpful.

Yes. The Italy dellicatessen on Jomtien 2nd Rd at Soi 5 has a few tables and serves some nice pasta dishes. They are running a daily 99Bt promotion. Yesterday was penne pasta with tomato and chopped olives. What a deal.

Check out their great selection of imported cheese, meats, pastas, sauces, olive oils too.

• Like 1

Closure News:

Coffee Corner

formerly Steaks and Suds

formerly SUNRISE TACOS (the Thai "Mexican food" chain)

now shut down and available.

While Sunrise had been doing visible business, the two later attempts were seriously never happening.

Now what?

Such a nice setup in a great location.

Sunrise Tacos did visible business, but nothing that I would call good business based on what I saw during my numerous daily walks past it. It ticked over.

I suspect also that the rent is absurdly high which is probably what put the final nail in the coffin.

My prediction is that the location will be a white elephant indefinitely, with occasional changes of tenant and style interspersed with long periods of emptiness, like so many other places in that area.

. They do pretty good in Bangkok, Term. 21 and Big Sukhumvit location

I have a real treat at the Sinbin in Pattayaland.

A seriously outstanding pulled pork sandwich.

One of the best that I've ever had & that includes Stateside.

Lovely bap bread roll to boot.

Worth the schlep & only 140bt

. They do pretty good in Bangkok, Term. 21 and Big Sukhumvit location

As well as on the corner of Silom and Soi 4, which I think is a 24/7 operation.

Dim Sum in Pattaya !!

Today I tried the "Dim Sum Dragon" on Sukhumvit, it is located next to "Fur 9" furniture shop and opposite Makro.

It is a Thai style open-air patakan but they have an aircon cabin for VIP.

They have many dim sums on the menu, I guess over 40.

I won't go into details too much - the food was good, served with all kinds of little dips and sauces.

Prices were reasonable, 50 baht per dim sum, 80 baht for some other dishes such as fried noodles with pork. A large Leo bottle is 95 baht.

I will be back.

• Like 2

ROMAN food restaurant

New restaurant in old Italian restaurant location

2nd road, west side, a bit south of Royal Garden Mall

This place appears to be doing a kind of "soft" opening as when I walked in there was nobody to greet me but there were a few customers waiting on an order. Had a quick look at the menu and what they appear to be doing is a GOURMET Italian restaurant featured ROMAN style (as in the region of Rome) specialty dishes. Of course there are other Italian dishes that would be considered more generic national Italian.

The menu I saw was all in Italian with no other languages. The prices were on the high side. For example chicken Cacciatore for 400 baht. Chicken Cacciatore really caught my eye because I don't recall seeing that on a local restaurant menu before and it's one of my favorite dishes from childhood from Italian American restaurants. I think I recall a fried brocolli appetizer similar price that I'm guessing is probably a Roman inspired specialty.

I think the most famous Roman specialty is actually a Jewish origin recipe with fried artichokes (Carciofi alla Giudia) but of course fresh artichokes in Thailand would be a problem. I did not see this on the menu but maybe I missed it.

http://italianfood.about.com/od/artichokes/r/blr0375.htm

It's encouraging that the owners think Pattaya can support a specialty gourmet restaurant of this kind and I hope they're optimism is justified.

The previous Italian restaurant in that location was also doing a more non-standard Italian menu and did close.

No. I haven't tried this new Roman restaurant yet, but if you do, please post your impressions of what you ordered there.

Oops.mfr_closed1.gif

Too late.

This restaurant has disappeared off this face of the earth.

Guess I'll have to look for Chicken Cacciatore somewhere else. whistling.gif

Edited by Jingthing

Ja's restaurant on soi xzite (excite) off of soi Boakoaw towards 3rd road. Located at the big green hotel across from the newer night market. Ja cooks Thai food but has mostly farang customers. Prices are 60 baht for farang size portions, with more seafood/meat and variety of vegetables in her dishes than competing places such as the Tin Cup. She can alter any dish to customers likes. Recommend the stuffed egg for breakfast and the massaman curry. She cooks quickly, so rarely a wait. She has 8 tables, 4 persons per table capacity. Free water and beer and soft drinks available. Always a smile from the boss, Ja.

Without giving comment on the quality of Pastrami and Rye's American style pizzas, I know a lot of people have been commenting on their rather high price.

Well ... relief has arrived.

Half off during limited hours EVERY DAY.

Impressive.

attachicon.gif11205136_873618632697538_8514134645485959223_n.jpg

http://www.pastramionryethailand.com/#!pizzas/c66t

what is there besides dine in or take out?
  • Like 1

Without giving comment on the quality of Pastrami and Rye's American style pizzas, I know a lot of people have been commenting on their rather high price.

Impressive.

Delivery. Duh.

• Like 1

Pastrami on Rye happy hour on 50% off Pizza was excellent. Was there yesterday and took a second Pizza home. Ordered Meat Lovers, taste was excellent. Ordered large, ate the entire pizza and took second one home.

There waitresses are so pretty and speak decent English. Highly recommend, excellent promo to good to last! Take advantage while the going is Good!

• Like 2

Impressive.

Delivery. Duh.

You're right...good call. Early morning and not had my coffee yet.

FYI:

The Cuban sandwich at the world famous Pastrami and Rye Jomtien is Tampa Florida style.

That means they include some salami.

Do I think this is a good thing? Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_sandwich

The main regional disagreement about the sandwich’s recipe is whether or not to include salami. In Tampa, Genoa salami[3] is traditionally layered in with the other meats, probably due to influence of Italian immigrantswho lived side-by-side with Cubans and Spaniards in Ybor City.[9][14][15] In South Florida, salami is left out.[16]

It looks like we'll be getting a new Chinese noodle shop soon...maybe JT will like to try it as I seem to recall he's partial to Chinese food. However, as I'm being ignored, he'll have to find it himself ;-)

I can say it's on a main baht bus line.

post-167660-0-88956300-1432454564_thumb.

post-167660-0-38659000-1432454513_thumb.

post-167660-0-29909700-1432454609_thumb.

• Confused 1

Pastrami on Rye happy hour on 50% off Pizza was excellent. Was there yesterday and took a second Pizza home. Ordered Meat Lovers, taste was excellent. Ordered large, ate the entire pizza and took second one home.

There waitresses are so pretty and speak decent English. Highly recommend, excellent promo to good to last! Take advantage while the going is Good!

You like New York style American Pizza, am I right?

Yes, good news about Pastrami on Rye. 50% off for me means that a good pizza is within my budget My Italian favourite Mimosa now will face some serious competition.

post-167660-0-29909700-1432454609.jpg

Can someone without a vindictive agenda tell me the location of this soon to be restaurant?
I have been riding around town NONSTOP for days on the main baht bus routes (whatever that's supposed to mean exactly) and I can't find it.rolleyes.gif
Thank you.
Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

Tonight I went to Golden Friar in Jomtien as I had not been there for some time. On the way out going away from the beach, there is now a Chinese restaurant where Chok Dee used to be. It says Sichuan Cuisine, believe its called H and L and at 9pm was busy inside the A/C room.

Tonight I went to Golden Friar in Jomtien as I had not been there for some time. On the way out going away from the beach, there is now a Chinese restaurant where Chok Dee used to be. It says Sichuan Cuisine, believe its called H and L and at 9pm was busy inside the A/C room.

is that the Chinese place directly next to country Road III (pool bar?)

Yes, I have posted about that place on multiple occasions.

I recommend the large spicy fish hot pot. It is 420 baht.

It's the best Sechuan food in town. They actually have the correct ingredients to make it from China. Generally other places here don't.

Like I said, I have posted on it multiple times so not going to post every mention here. This thread below was done before I tried it. I have since tried it multiple times ... really, go for the fish hot pot. It's bigger than it appears in the picture. Tip -- if you want them to put in the authentic (numbing/tingling) Sechuan peppers and if you don't why are you there -- say MALA (Chinese for use both hot peppers and Sechuan peppers). There is always the danger like anywhere that if you're not Asian that they might assume you don't really want the real thing. (Very little English is spoken there.)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/608166-the-hit-and-run-restaurant-review-thread/page-30#entry8559824

post-37101-0-24991200-1416072360_thumb.j

More about Mala:

The term málà is a combination of two Chinese characters: "numbing" () and "spicy (hot)" (), referring to the feeling in the mouth after eating the sauce.

The numbness is caused by Sichuan pepper, which contains 3% hydroxy-alpha-sanshool. The recipe often uses dried red peppers that are less spicy than bird's eye chili, which is widely used in Southeast Asian cuisines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mala_sauce

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2