The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Just now, hackjam said:

Went to Welcome Inn on Soi Khao Noi yesterday for Sunday roast. Have to say, one of the best I have had in and around Pattaya. I was going to go for the Lamb at 210B but instead went for the meat combo at 250B. Came with veg, roast and mashed potatoes, York puddings and pig in blankets, gravy and a boat of gravy.

Both the chicken and lamb were good, beef and pork average.

Nice place, A/C and outdoor, fresh décor, good service and was busy around 7 last night.

Will return. 

Never a bad meal at Welcome Inn IMO.

Fish & chips on a Friday are good.

• Thanks 1

Some more information about Pho Mr. Nam.

I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to picture that place as a perfect restaurant. It is not. There are flaws. 

I'll even mention them --

Heat in the restaurant

In my experience they are not using the aircon so you must rely on fans.

Not all of the fans work properly. 

Some not at all and some you can't adjust to blow statically. 

So if the place isn't crowded you may want to figure out where is the best place to sit to get a fan on you.

Now I realize some people won't tolerate a situation like that.

I will for good food.

Portions

Noodles

I've had repeated issues with the portion of noodles in the Pho being inadequate even though I've been ordering the large size. This is based on my experience in the U.S. -- there are always more noodles. I mentioned this and was told the reason is that people are leaving noodles if they increase the portion. I don't really believe that reason, but I can say that you can ask for more noodles and you will get them, and in my case, no extra charge. But I wouldn't ask unless you order the large size which is 10 baht more.

Beef

I read on a facebook page a complaint about the small portion of beef. I hadn't really been thinking about that but yes they do serve a smaller portion of beef than you would get in the U.S. That's true. But the same person basically wrote off the restaurant because of that but failed to mention what he thought about the authentic FLAVOR of the broth, liking it or not. Because for me in the context of Pattaya Vietnamese food a place that serves Pho broth that actually tastes like authentic Pho broth would override all concerns about portion size. So I'm not sure if that reviewer was even capable of appreciating that they serve real Pho broth or not. 

Beef cuts

If you just order beef Pho you will get their standard mix of meats including beef balls, etc. I don't like that. What I like which I think most westerners would like is on the outside the place menu as

B3 Mixed Tenderloin and Flank.

That probably won't be on the menu they give you inside.

I suggest taking a picture of the outside menu and showing them that you want B3, Mixed Tenderloin and Flank.

Too much trouble for you? I don't know. For me cooking an authentic Pho broth as they have would be too much trouble for me to cook at home. (As in never.)

Come Hungry!

Also I recommend to really experience this place, come hungry and order more food than just the Pho. For example Pho AND one of the rice paper wrap sets (pork or shrimp/pork).

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Better than your run of the mill Gai Yaang on Soi Arunothai (very close to the Pattaya Glang junction)

Gai Yaang WichianBuri 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wichian_Buri_District#Wichian_Buri_grilled_chicken

08-04-19-002.jpg.12b4dae69439d6be9b0b9cba56d068f0.jpg

Chicken is very good, and 140 baht for the whole bird is reasonable.

08-04-19-001.jpg.96c594dd192bd7281765701e993ebedb.jpg

Som Tam (with Salted Egg) 50 baht and Nam Tok Moo 50 baht were also very good.

08-04-19-004.jpg.cbed0e494914173e60e9a74d56ad1c19.jpg

Sauce for the Chicken was totally different to anything I have had before with Gai Yaang.

Quite sweet, sticky and heavy on the Tamarind.

08-04-19-008.JPG.2eeea5e4cb97c3e7b668bc92e2de960e.JPG

Well worth a try if Isaan Food is your thing.

I have often wondered about the chicken there as it looks good but it is cooking less than 1 metre from the road with all the exhaust fumes from the cars and bikes stopped there waiting for the lights to change.........

11 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Better than your run of the mill Gai Yaang on Soi Arunothai (very close to the Pattaya Glang junction)

Gai Yaang WichianBuri 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wichian_Buri_District#Wichian_Buri_grilled_chicken

08-04-19-002.jpg.12b4dae69439d6be9b0b9cba56d068f0.jpg

Chicken is very good, and 140 baht for the whole bird is reasonable.

08-04-19-001.jpg.96c594dd192bd7281765701e993ebedb.jpg

Som Tam (with Salted Egg) 50 baht and Nam Tok Moo 50 baht were also very good.

08-04-19-004.jpg.cbed0e494914173e60e9a74d56ad1c19.jpg

Sauce for the Chicken was totally different to anything I have had before with Gai Yaang.

Quite sweet, sticky and heavy on the Tamarind.

08-04-19-008.JPG.2eeea5e4cb97c3e7b668bc92e2de960e.JPG

Well worth a try if Isaan Food is your thing.

Where else can you buy a hot Thai bird for only 140 Baht? Sticky too.

Edited by champers

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:52 AM, TaaSaparot said:

New on Beach Road

Br.jpg.9bf99b7adb00021e715dda3925a89c96.jpg

An update on this.

Later posts referred to this new place understandably as a Chinese restaurant.

It is NOT a Chinese restaurant.

It is NOT part of the so called Chinese invasion.

It is part of a local chain of THAI SEAFOOD restaurants.

I'm disappointed. 

So whats the point with the decorations ? They look Chinese to me. 
They do indeed. I suppose to suck in Chinese tourists who BTW usually like to eat Thai style seafood in Thailand.

There are actually several restaurants in town that give the outside appearance of being Chinese but aren't.

It's annoying if you go out of your way to stop into such places expecting Chinese food.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

IMG-20190410-WA0002.thumb.jpg.59159b9d562d34beb30556645e182f3b.jpgIMG-20190410-WA0001.thumb.jpg.dd4de2a5e4e234ff700b1bb44a51a622.jpg

Next to Ramen Champion on Third Road.

The Pad Krapow Talay sai Hed(spicy seafood with basil with added mushrooms) was delicious and the seafood tender.  The bill came to 90 baht. Free water if you don't want bottled water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seven Sins

Another level hot pot restaurant

Terminal 21 Mall

I think Tokyo Level

I was attracted to this place because they push their Sichuan MALA broth for the hot pots but they have many other choices as well. 

I see this place as another level of an MK type Thai suki hot pot experience

The Mala broth isn't really authentic, it's more of a soup broth, not very OILY as it would be if authentic. 

The hot pot is in two sections. So you choose a fee broth (Mala and others) and then another or you can get a basic free broth, chicken flavor with radish.

Then you order the extras. 

Large variety as you would expect, fish/seafood/pork/beef/vegetables/noodles.

I suggest a side of rice. 

I suppose the prices are a bit higher than MK but not sure.

The BEEF prices in particular seemed very expensive but you don't need to order beef.

I didn't notice ORGAN meats that you would find at an authentic Sichuan Mala hot pot place but to me that's a feature.

The flavor of the Mala broth was indeed hot and spicy and it has lots of Sichuan peppers in it as well. These peppers were well stripped down to little balls which is unusual so I reckon they have a process for doing it that way. HOWEVER, sadly they weren't really fresh enough, in fact there was a somewhat stale flavor to them, which wasn't bad enough to ruin the broth as happens when very stale, but also not fresh enough to provide any of the distinctive NUMBING sensation. A test for that is eating some of them directly and then drinking plain water. With fresh ones the water will turn into soda water in your mouth.

Anyway, the flavor of the Mala broth was pleasant enough and because it wasn't oily you can literally eat it as a side soup as well as of course cooking your ingredients in.

The SEVEN SINS branding thing is about providing you with SEVEN, count 'em, SEVEN side dipping sauces or add them to your soup bowl of you want/

I'm not super excited about this place because it wasn't "real" Sichuan hot pot, but it was decent enough for what it is, and I suppose most Thais that like MK suki would probably like this too.

To add I've been told even though all kinds of "Mala" foods are trendy in Thailand, especially Bangkok, that Thai people mostly do not like the NUMBING part of fresh Sichuan peppers and they're lucky that way because most food sold to Thais here marketed as Mala lacks that. 

Here's the Bangkok TripAdvisor for pictures --

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d12971300-Reviews-Seven_Sins-Bangkok.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rich Man, Poor Man Jomtien, American food "institution" for so many years, permanently closed, but now this. From the past, yes their BBQ meats were very good. Don't recall their Mex being that great but seems worth checking out what they will be offering in the new place, maybe it'll be different. 

TImage

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Rich Man, Poor Man Jomtien, American food "institution" for so many years, permanently closed, but now this. From the past, yes their BBQ meats were very good. Don't recall their Mex being that great but seems worth checking out what they will be offering in the new place, maybe it'll be different. 

TImage

Is that location on the death row where the venezuelan joint dispappeared after only a few weeks? If ex-RMPM would do a real american bbq only joint in Jomthien with parking nearby, I'd be a regular. Their ribs were the best in town.

35 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Is that location on the death row where the venezuelan joint dispappeared after only a few weeks? If ex-RMPM would do a real american bbq only joint in Jomthien with parking nearby, I'd be a regular. Their ribs were the best in town.

Not exactly the same location at all. It's near Tinnies. Tinnies has been around for years. Also this is just a food stall, not a restaurant. 

Tried the Seven Sins at T21 yesterday. As Jingthing said, a bit better MK. Grossly overpriced, the tab came to 3300 baht for 2 adults and three kids, nothing special, just a few plates of meat, taste was as mediocre, as mall chain food tends to be. Even AKA in Central is better. Meh. 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Tried the Seven Sins at T21 yesterday. As Jingthing said, a bit better MK. Grossly overpriced, the tab came to 3300 baht for 2 adults and three kids, nothing special, just a few plates of meat, taste was as mediocre, as mall chain food tends to be. Even AKA in Central is better. Meh. 

Sounds like you ordered the BEEF. :stoner:

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sounds like you ordered the BEEF. :stoner:

Yeah a couple of portions, Aus ribeye. 440 baht for what I think was around 100 grams of meat. Wagyu was over 1k IIRC, would not be surprised if the portion was even smaller, skipped that as it was so obviously overpriced. Had veggies, pork and sushi too, all very average.

• Thanks 2

Heads up for all the pastafarians.

Simon's Israeli (sadly closed) is now some kind of Spaghetti Bistrot.

I was too lazy to walk up the stairs to look at it up close but it's an interesting concept for the area.

Soi Buakow night market (not Pattaya Tai) 

Teddy's Bigger Burgers

Teddy's Smaller Menu

(previously "reviewed" here) 

OK, this is a bit catty but looking at the menu at this place in T21 mall I noticed that SEVERAL menu items have been discontinued. This is an international chain so they're down to being a less than example of that. That doesn't look good to see so many items you can't order. They're focusing on the their burgers now, not surprising.

Gone for example was the Hawaiian Moco Loco. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

On April 20, 2019 at 2:31 AM, DrTuner said:

image.thumb.jpg.dddf331853b357c20971ecf6c75e5acd.jpgLooks like one of those kiosks on the left behind the SuperTown sign could be where it will be located going by the description.

• Like 1