The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Grottino in Soi 33 Naklua, arguably the best soi for food around here. https://goo.gl/maps/BTUaeYWWWMy

Went to this Italian osteria & pizzeria, been wanting to go for a few years since it was opened as I've seen the wood fired oven outside. Always opted for the German restaurants next door but now was the time to try this one.

It's a cozy place inside, we went on Saturday and it was packed at 6pm, heard Italian being spoken here and there, crowd was a complete mix of people. Service was very efficient and friendly, we had a view to the kitchen and heard the chef barking in Italian to the line cooks that apparently understood him. Very rare in here, full points.

The food: Had anchovy & smoked salmon as appetizer, surprise, it was very spicy with the small red peppers. Nice snack before the pizza, we had one with sausage, minced meat and some other carnivore filling. Real thin crust Italian pizza, I absolutely loved it. Often we can't shove the entire pizza in but this time there was not even a crumb left. Tasted the same as I had in Rome ages ago, especially the minced meat was laced with herbs and was really tasty.

Wife had a glass of house red and I had three small beers, we had the whisky laden chocolate icecream for dessert (yes getting a bit tipsy) which ws delicious too. Bill came to 1100baht, which I think was well worth it.

I'll give it a 9/10 and it'll now be my go-to place for Italian, next time I'll try the pastas. The menu was big enough with all sorts of interesting items.

Directly opposite Grottinos is Little Bella Italia. You may find them even better. There is not much to choose between them in my view. Both are very good.

Both have restaurants on 2nd Road, one opposite RGP, one almost opposite Soi 6.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2019 at 4:00 AM, DrTuner said:

Grottino in Soi 33 Naklua, arguably the best soi for food around here. https://goo.gl/maps/BTUaeYWWWMy

Went to this Italian osteria & pizzeria, been wanting to go for a few years since it was opened as I've seen the wood fired oven outside. Always opted for the German restaurants next door but now was the time to try this one.

It's a cozy place inside, we went on Saturday and it was packed at 6pm, heard Italian being spoken here and there, crowd was a complete mix of people. Service was very efficient and friendly, we had a view to the kitchen and heard the chef barking in Italian to the line cooks that apparently understood him. Very rare in here, full points.

The food: Had anchovy & smoked salmon as appetizer, surprise, it was very spicy with the small red peppers. Nice snack before the pizza, we had one with sausage, minced meat and some other carnivore filling. Real thin crust Italian pizza, I absolutely loved it. Often we can't shove the entire pizza in but this time there was not even a crumb left. Tasted the same as I had in Rome ages ago, especially the minced meat was laced with herbs and was really tasty.

Wife had a glass of house red and I had three small beers, we had the whisky laden chocolate icecream for dessert (yes getting a bit tipsy) which ws delicious too. Bill came to 1100baht, which I think was well worth it.

I'll give it a 9/10 and it'll now be my go-to place for Italian, next time I'll try the pastas. The menu was big enough with all sorts of interesting items.

Went there for a pizza the other day. Was ok, Base could have been tastier(sourdough would have been nice), but was perfectly acceptable.

Will give it another go later.

13 hours ago, DrTuner said:

This place claims to be the one and only sourdough pizzeria in Thailand: https://sergiospizzafactory.com . Never been, perhaps somebody could check it.

Difficult for me to do a review, as my pizzas are always off-menu. They seemed a bit small to me and to be honest I don't remember much about the base, it was gone so quickly. ????

So I would give them another go. It was pleasant enough and it was my friend's favourite thus far.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2019 at 10:38 PM, champers said:

A heads up for Sonjas on Soi 4, about 125 Metres up from Beach Road. German owned they have a wide ranging menu of European favourites plus plenty of Thai options. I have recently enjoyed Fish and Chips and Nuremburg sausages with Mash and fried onions (instead of sauerkraut). The mash was delicious. I have been with a couple of Thais who like the Thai food.

The separate (ish) bar is good too. Happy hour till 6pm. Big Leos are 110 Baht.

There are some fun bar girls who can chat if you like, or not. They are older than most beerbar girls, are not pushy but are available for takeout if you so wish (I don't from places I like to eat in). 

Do you allude to the eat here or take out option? 

56 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Do you allude to the eat here or take out option? 

You can do both if you wish.

I have a drink, sometimes a drink and a meal, sometimes only a meal. The ladies are an optional extra. Take them or leave them; I leave them.

• Haha 1

This Thai restaurant has probably been reviewed somewhere on this thread before but after dinner there last night with friends, I wanted to give it a two thumbs up recommendation. The restaurant is called Mayes (although some spell it May's) located on Theprasit a short walk from Thappraya (past Maggs). They promote themselves as urban Thai (whatever that means) but the food is more northern Thai. The atmosphere is pleasant and the service excellent. Everyone enjoyed their meal, both Thai and farang. The restaurant is small, air-conditioned, decorative plants, welcome refreshing towels and small pineapple juice, paper placemats but linen napkins. The large menu is well planned (even a vegetarian page). Prices are slightly upmarket for Thai food but beautifully presented and well worth the price. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

This Thai restaurant has probably been reviewed somewhere on this thread before but after dinner there last night with friends, I wanted to give it a two thumbs up recommendation. The restaurant is called Mayes (although some spell it May's) located on Theprasit a short walk from Thappraya (past Maggs). They promote themselves as urban Thai (whatever that means) but the food is more northern Thai. The atmosphere is pleasant and the service excellent. Everyone enjoyed their meal, both Thai and farang. The restaurant is small, air-conditioned, decorative plants, welcome refreshing towels and small pineapple juice, paper placemats but linen napkins. The large menu is well planned (even a vegetarian page). Prices are slightly upmarket for Thai food but beautifully presented and well worth the price. 

I went there once. Had the massaman, which was a big portion, but tasted a bit strange, like too much cinnamon or something. Place had a BKK food joint vibe. Never went back.

• Like 1

I went there once. Had the massaman, which was a big portion, but tasted a bit strange, like too much cinnamon or something. Place had a BKK food joint vibe. Never went back.
Me too. One time. I enjoyed it well enough but found the food too frou frou and stylized for my taste and for me not worth it. They do try hard though and I understand why other people like it.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 5:11 AM, dannywla said:

Dave's Mexican Restaurant what happen I see they closed at the beginning of 2019?

Another guy who was thinking that because he likes to eat Mexican food he can cook it and manage a restaurant... so funny... From the day he opened I already knew that we will quickly close.

Mr. Nam the Vietnamese Pho restaurant on Pratumnak road near Residence Garden is closed until the 24th or 25th because of a family emergency according to a sign on the door I saw today.

I have eaten there twice. First I had the Pho--very nice, 60 baht for the small and 95 for the large which I had. Good value and that lovely Pho taste.

Next visit I had the rice noodle bowl with grilled pork (or beef, not sure) and small fried rolls for 115 baht. It was a special. It was excellent, really hit the spot.

This place is now officially on my short list of 'visit quite often' restaurants. Can't wait for them to open again.
The rice noodle grilled pork bowls are always on the menu.

I recommend the grilled minced shrimp on sugarcane served with fillings and rice paper wrap. Also on the menu.

Please support this place. Only real Pho in town!

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The rice noodle grilled pork bowls are always on the menu.

That's good to know, but the menu I was brought didn't have it. I asked for any specials 'mee menu piset mai?' and was brought two printed sheets of paper, one of which had the rice bowls, so anyone going who doesn't see it right away be sure to ask. The owner seems more on the ball about informing about the specials, but I had to ask the waitress I had on the second visit.

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Please support this place. Only real Pho in town!

I'll pay a visit next time I'm around there. Perhaps they could add themselves to Google Maps, can't find them there, are they on Residence Garden side or beach side of Thappraya?

Just now, DrTuner said:

I'll pay a visit next time I'm around there. Perhaps they could add themselves to Google Maps, can't find them there, are they on Residence Garden side or beach side of Thappraya?

Just up the hill from Residence Garden on the same side, 20 meters or so. In the same building with Mr. Mac hotel I believe.

• Thanks 1