The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/27/2020 at 10:38 PM, questionsreplies said:

Thank you for Beza pizza buy 1 get 1 free, 2 pizza for 200 is a good price.

And what about pasta? Where can you find cheap good pasta or ravioli ?

Most restaurants buy fresh pasta and ravioli from pattaya wholesalers for 300 baht  / kilo, so selling an empty dish (seen on photos here) for 250 is way overpriced.

where can we find a big italian pasta dish for 200 ? 

Any idea ?

thank you.

Besa pizza are okay for 100 baht each !

I am testing different Indian restaurants and they are just all the same, food is exactly the same everywhere, so I really cannot understand how some people can tell that any Indian is better than another one ? can someone explain what you have found different ?

Only thing that I can say is that for the same food some are too expensive, for example the fisherman cafe at Mabprachan lake, where a Mixed raita costs 150 thb ! Anywhere else it costs a maximum of 100 thb.

Food there is just as anywhere else except that it's overpriced, but still, people who seem to know nothing post on Tripadvisor that it's the best Indian food that they ate... how ridiculous ?!

23 minutes ago, suhoaswhas said:

I am testing different Indian restaurants and they are just all the same, food is exactly the same everywhere, so I really cannot understand how some people can tell that any Indian is better than another one ? can someone explain what you have found different ?

Only thing that I can say is that for the same food some are too expensive, for example the fisherman cafe at Mabprachan lake, where a Mixed raita costs 150 thb ! Anywhere else it costs a maximum of 100 thb.

Food there is just as anywhere else except that it's overpriced, but still, people who seem to know nothing post on Tripadvisor that it's the best Indian food that they ate... how ridiculous ?!

Do you feel the same way about wine?

Of course there are differences between the Indian restaurants and often whether people like one over another is a matter of personal taste. But we're in an environment now of many fewer Indian restaurants so that does make trying out what's out there much more realistic. 

10 minutes ago, suhoaswhas said:

I think many farangs in Pattaya have given up on Indian food because of the things you mentioned......Before Covid about 99% of the people eating at Indian restaurants were Indians....So now they have almost no customers... 

The only Indian restaurant I have ever found that I liked,with OK prices is the.. Tikka Center Indian restaurant on Soi Bukow....

I hear the Indian dishes are ok at the Hungry Hippo and Robin- Hood.... This is on my to-do list to check out in the future....

2 hours ago, redwood1 said:

.Before Covid about 99% of the people eating at Indian restaurants were Indians

Really?

Well not at the Indian Restaurants I use. Rarely seen any Indians use Fisherman's or Masala Twist.

I do see Indians eating regularly at India By Nature.

20 hours ago, suhoaswhas said:

Quality and quantity of the meat in it. 

Whether or not I get sick.....

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Quality and quantity of the meat in it. 

Whether or not I get sick.....

Funny that you say that because it reminds me of a subjective taste issue, which is what I really think this is mostly about.

Of course it depends on the recipe, but how about chicken.

Chicken on the bone adds more flavor to Indian dishes as opposed to dry cubes of breast filets.

Yet in my observation (could be wrong) westerners, particularly Brits, will often complain if chicken is served on the bone.

23 hours ago, hackjam said:

There is a hell of a difference between say a Butter Chicken and a Chicken Jalfrezi. 

I guess the OP was talking about similar dishes at different restaurants ?

I agree that I have never found any difference between any Indian restaurants, and I suspect that all the self claimed "experts" do not know more than me...

9 minutes ago, thepdru said:

I guess the OP was talking about similar dishes at different restaurants ?

I agree that I have never found any difference between any Indian restaurants, and I suspect that all the self claimed "experts" do not know more than me...

Any Indian restaurants or any Indian restaurants in Pattaya?

Because in my opinion if you haven't tasted different (better and worse) versions of Butter chicken, sorry, your  experience of Indian food must be very limited. 

I've had WOW experiences with that dish and quite often MEH ones as well. I do admit in Pattaya generally MEH. 

I probably shouldn't go there with this, but these weird complaints about Indian food remind me of a kind of western food imperialism. "Ethnic" foods from perceived poorer non white countries are expected to be cheap and are not put on an even playing field with let's say French food. French food can be basic and pedestrian or it can be mind blowing and even the basic stuff won't be cheap, and you're going to be paying much more for mind blowing (and probably not complaining about that).

34 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Any Indian restaurants or any Indian restaurants in Pattaya?

Because in my opinion if you haven't tasted different (better and worse) versions of Butter chicken, sorry, your  experience of Indian food must be very limited. 

I've had WOW experiences with that dish and quite often MEH ones as well. I do admit in Pattaya generally MEH. 

I probably shouldn't go there with this, but these weird complaints about Indian food remind me of a kind of western food imperialism. "Ethnic" foods from perceived poorer non white countries are expected to be cheap and are not put on an even playing field with let's say French food. French food can be basic and pedestrian or it can be mind blowing and even the basic stuff won't be cheap, and you're going to be paying much more for mind blowing (and probably not complaining about that).

And yet Western food imperialists also expect; and get; cheap fare from US chains like McDs, KFC and BK. The market always decides whether any restaurant succeeds or fails by turning up in sufficient numbers or not. Most tastes and wallets are pretty well covered in Pattaya; this thread provides information to help posters choose where to go, or not go.

I have been looking for Indian I went into one of the Indian restaurants won't name it.

Sorry, the place smelled inside like sewage.

I have cruised around trying to find one to try but every place I see has no customers.  Go by several hours later or the next day the same thing.

I really wonder about the freshness of the food if they are not turning it over within a few days.

Same thing with some of the mall places walk past 3 days in a row during lunch or dinner time and never see one customer.

That is why I guess some of these cheap places mentioned on Soi Buakhao may be the safest places as they seem to stay pretty busy and probably need fresh supplies on a daily basis..

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yet in my observation (could be wrong) westerners, particularly Brits, will often complain if chicken is served on the bone.

When I have curry in Thailand, I would mostly want 'lamb' or mutton.... had chicken all the way up to my yahzool here. Now that does seem to vary a lot from lumps of bone and gristle to very good and in my mind defines the venue. 

True, some of the lamb I have had at Indian restaurants in Pattaya has been very poor.

India by Nature has some outstanding lamb dishes-I am a big fan of their Kofta Curry, and missus loves their lamb vindaloo. Menu is available on their website. 

On 11/15/2020 at 11:00 AM, redwood1 said:

I think many farangs in Pattaya have given up on Indian food because of the things you mentioned......Before Covid about 99% of the people eating at Indian restaurants were Indians....So now they have almost no customers... 

The only Indian restaurant I have ever found that I liked,with OK prices is the.. Tikka Center Indian restaurant on Soi Bukow....

I hear the Indian dishes are ok at the Hungry Hippo and Robin- Hood.... This is on my to-do list to check out in the future....

and can you explain why you like this one specifically when they all exactly taste the same ?

and if you think that they taste different please explain why, I tested more than 10, all similar taste, all overpriced.

16 minutes ago, suhoaswhas said:

and can you explain why you like this one specifically when they all exactly taste the same ?

and if you think that they taste different please explain why, I tested more than 10, all similar taste, all overpriced.

The Tikka Center Indian restaurant is in my opinion is one of the least overpriced Indian restaurant in Pattaya....And their food is very consistently good...The Nana bread is great.....And as a added bonus you get to watch the girls on Soi Honey doing their thing...lol 

7 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

The Tikka Center Indian restaurant is in my opinion is one of the least overpriced Indian restaurant in Pattaya....And their food is very consistently good...The Nana bread is great.....And as a added bonus you get to watch the girls on Soi Honey doing their thing...lol 

This one ? I will try it and report:

https://goo.gl/maps/2jNWvszi12aQkSTKA

Just now, redwood1 said:

Yes

I have been there several times, fairly inexpensive and the food is consistent.

Glad they have survived.

3 hours ago, seasia said:

Yes

I have been there several times, fairly inexpensive and the food is consistent.

Glad they have survived.

Glad that you also have survived eating at any Indian restaurant where we cannot see the kitchen...

4 hours ago, suhoaswhas said:

Just because everything tastes the same to you does not mean everything tastes the same to others, and just because things seem overpriced to you does not mean they seem overpriced to others. 

All Scotch tastes about the same to me, and I don't get why one shot is sells for a dollar while another sells for ten and yet another  sells for a hundred. Clearly some people taste the difference and are willing to pay for it. 

12 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Just because everything tastes the same to you does not mean everything tastes the same to others, and just because things seem overpriced to you does not mean they seem overpriced to others. 

All Scotch tastes about the same to me, and I don't get why one shot is sells for a dollar while another sells for ten and yet another  sells for a hundred. Clearly some people taste the difference and are willing to pay for it. 

Westerners just dont get Indian food....Indian food to Indians is much more than just food....They are highly sensitive to the spices used....The spices are part of their identity.....The particular spices used remind them of their part of India, their particular city, their family their religion etc......All this mixes with western steak and potato fast food culture like oil a water........

This is one reason Indians are such picky eaters....

Western taste buds will never understand Indian food...The Indians are real gluttons for punishing criticism for trying to sell their food to people who will never get it.......

Why they what to open Indian restaurants in a country like Thailand where 99.99% of the Thais hate their food, I will never understand (how many Thais have you seen eating in a Indian restaurant? My guess is ZERO) ....And except for a few farang almost all other tourist avoid Indian food too...

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Westerners just dont get Indian food....Indian food to Indians is much more than just food....They are highly sensitive to the spices used....The spices are part of their identity.....The particular spices used remind them of their part of India, their particular city, their family their religion etc......All this mixes with western steak and potato fast food culture like oil a water........

This is one reason Indians are such picky eaters....

Western taste buds will never understand Indian food...The Indians are real gluttons for punishing criticism for trying to sell their food to people who will never get it.......

Why they what to open Indian restaurants in a country like Thailand where 99.99% of the Thais hate their food, I will never understand (how many Thais have you seen eating in a Indian restaurant? My guess is ZERO) ....And except for a few farang almost all other tourist avoid Indian food too...

What does "The Indians are real gluttons for punishing criticism for trying to sell their food to people who will never get it......." mean?

I worked in India about one week a month for about five years and they don't seem that picky to me. That they only want Indian food when they come to Thailand reminds me of  westerners that come to Thailand and only want to eat western food. 

When I was in the plant they always wanted to order McDonald's or Domino's, not because they thought I wanted it , but because they wanted it. I always ate the food in the plant canteen, it was most always great. 

I like Indians, Indian food and eating with Indians, it reminds me a lot of eating with Thais. 

Most Thais I know that actually get exposed to Indian food like it. 

You don't like steak and potatoes? I can't speak to the rest of the west, but I worked all over the US and there is great food to be had most everywhere.

23 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Agree 100%, food excellent and not overpriced. 

29 minutes ago, rott said:

Agree 100%, food excellent and not overpriced. 

Another great example of how subjective food tastes are. Yes I've tried it about three times trying to figure out why so many people like it. Stopped going because I was underwhelmed. My impression is that they mostly cater to British tastes in South Asian food. That ain't me.

34 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Another great example of how subjective food tastes are. Yes I've tried it about three times trying to figure out why so many people like it. Stopped going because I was underwhelmed. My impression is that they mostly cater to British tastes in South Asian food. That ain't me.

You forgot to mention price.

Archived