The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

For 15+ years, Michel focused his cuisine on a French/BeNeLux clientele.

Maybe a bit "exotic" for Americans & Britons.

There is for instance " Steak Tartare " ( Raw beef ).

I recommend the " Coq au vin " ( Chicken in wine ) and the Crème brûlée.

It does not seem exotic to me and I doubt that most Brits would need your patronising translations. Many Brits visit France and many have settled there, the food and wine being one of many things that attracts them, along with the warmer climate.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, champers said:

It does not seem exotic to me and I doubt that most Brits would need your patronising translations. Many Brits visit France and many have settled there, the food and wine being one of many things that attracts them, along with the warmer climate.

I suppose Britons haven't find the way to Freelax, or simply don't like Michel's cuisine.

Don't understand your need to use the word "patronizing".

3 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I suppose Britons haven't find the way to Freelax, or simply don't like Michel's cuisine.

I am a "Brit" and have been there several times usually in the company of other nationalities including other Brits and Americans.........

All of us have eaten far more "exotic" food then you will find on the menu in Freelax. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Reads like a menu from a 70's steakhouse in the U.K. 

Not that there is anything wrong with that. But I think that you have been horribly misinformed concerning the breadth and quality of foodstuffs available in the U.K.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, topt said:

I am a "Brit" and have been there several times usually in the company of other nationalities including other Brits and Americans.........

All of us have eaten far more "exotic" food then you will find on the menu in Freelax. 

Good to read. 

It seems my choice of the word "Exotic" was preposterous. 

1 minute ago, Eindhoven said:

Reads like a menu from a 70's steakhouse in the U.K. 

Not that there is anything wrong with that. But I think that you have been horribly misinformed concerning the breadth and quality of foodstuffs available in the U.K.

I am sorry,

really no harm intented. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, luckyluke said:

3 hours ago, luckyluke said:

The first time I ate steak tartare was in a factory in Germany in the 80s. Common in British fine dining restaurants but I don't fancy it with Thai beef.

My mother served creme brulee in her hotel in the 70s. A favourite of the guests. Sometimes called caramel custard.

Coq au vin was all the rage at dinner parties back in the seventies. Considered very passe now.

So, all in all, very patronising and uninformed.

I'm personally shy about eating raw beef because of parasites.

Definitely wouldn't order it in Thailand. 

But one of the great culinary regrets in my life happened over steak tartare at one of the best French restaurants in Montreal. 

My dining companion ordered it and I don't even remember what I ordered. 

I had a taste and it was one of my best food bites ever.

Yes I'm a fool not to order it as well and waste my first dish. Oh well.

It wasn't so much the beef quality which was of course excellent but the seasoning.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, polpott said:

So, all in all, very patronising and uninformed.

Uninformed I agree after what I read here. 

I maintain that in no way an intention to patronising. 

I am member here since 2006.

I honestly never read here, in the different topics, food related, about Britons eating Steak Tartare, Coq au vin, Crème brûlée. 

Well about Fish & Chips, Sunday roast, beans on toasts, different pies, corned-beef. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

It wasn't so much the beef quality which was of course excellent but the seasoning.

The seasoning is indeed very important. 

When  I was young, this mean very long ago, it was common in my country, Belgium, to eat steak tartare made from horsemeat. 

For one or another reason, steak tartare, is called filet américain, in Belgium. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hackjam said:

Bake & Brew is a nice place for breakfast, Soi Excite.

Bread buffet and a wide selection of different breads.

This is the only place in Pattaya where I find a decent sausage.

Anyone know the name of the sausage they serve there and where it can be bought, would make for a good sausage roll?

Good value and quality also, 175B.

Also, one of the few busy places in Pattaya at the moment.

thumbnail_IMG_2814.jpg

Best sausage both taste and value wise is to be had at Makro Sukhumvit.............King Brand Cumberland/Pork at 210/kilo in the freezers...........only problem is its hit and miss as to whether they have it in or not

Apologies straying off topic

Edited by thaiflyer1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, polpott said:

Lunch is the best too. Great croque monsieur but the penne pasta amatricana 

Thanks for that, never really considered B & B for lunch but for sure will try that pasta, one of my favorite pastas. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, hackjam said:

Glad to report, CCB still good.

thumbnail_IMG_2791.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2802.jpg

It seems to be the only honest Italian restaurant in Pattaya since the one on Trapraya road closed.

I will never eat anywhere else, they just are cheaters who deserve to close in this hard time.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah sure. 

But I don't really get all the kvetching about high prices. Restaurants have menus. Its your choice to take it or leave it. Restaurant owners as well understand that by having higher prices they are losing lots of people. So they make a business decision about that. It either works for them or it doesn't but it is literally their business.

And 269 is  bad business - no other similar venue charges that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah sure. 

But I don't really get all the kvetching about high prices. Restaurants have menus. Its your choice to take it or leave it. Restaurant owners as well understand that by having higher prices they are losing lots of people. So they make a business decision about that. It either works for them or it doesn't but it is literally their business.

I agree, but I feel for a restaurant owner that runs a good operation, with competitive prices, only to have his rent increased, which he passes onto the consumer, and then his restaurant is empty.  Sure, he can look for another premises, but businesses become known at a certain location, and moving costs can be prohibitive.  

• Haha 1

On 11/1/2020 at 9:43 PM, Leaver said:

I suppose those dining in Hungry Hippo look out and see how the other half lives.  ????

Have been disappointed by 2 meals in succession there of late. I am sure they struggle to get good staff there (it is one of the few places they keep working instead of standing around, playing with their phones and picking their noses). Even a little quieter for a Sunday lunch than usual....

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 2:11 PM, Jingthing said:

Yeah sure. 

It doesn't change the fact that they are idiots to charge so high, just as the customers who pay this !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, solafr said:

It doesn't change the fact that they are idiots to charge so high, just as the customers who pay this !

That doesn't make sense, if they are prepared to pay the prices,  the restaurant is not so idiotic!

• Haha 2