The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Another great example of how subjective food tastes are. Yes I've tried it about three times trying to figure out why so many people like it. Stopped going because I was underwhelmed. My impression is that they mostly cater to British tastes in South Asian food. That ain't me.

Not actually been there for a while, but been going since before the invasion of Indian places in Pattaya. It was a good find at the time as the one I used to go to in Arab Town had done away with tables and cutlery and was popular with Indian people who liked to sit on the floor and eat with their hands. Not for me. 

As you say these things are subjective. 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A mini review about a maxi type of food.

Chicago style deep dish pizza.

Not a food item you see often on menus here.

In Pattaya I've had at Big Kahuna (not on their menu anymore) but now offered by a delivery only service called samekitchen.

Samekitchen - Food delivery - Pattaya - Order online

Their deep dish is priced at a reasonable 250 with choice of two toppings. The size is between a mini single serve deep dish and medium. Can feed one very hungry person or two normal appetites. The crust was decent. Lots of cheese, toppings, and what stood out for me was the flavor of the tomato sauce.

No, it wouldn't rate high in the Windy City, but I liked it better than what Big Kahuna used to serve.

But wait. There's more. 

It's available from their site for 50 percent for first order.

Delivery costs between 30 and 50 baht and there is a minimum order that's over 250.

So order more pizzas or food from the other restaurants on samekitchen including Mexican.

It's from Speedy Pizza which is also on apps such as grab but no Chicago deep dish on Grab.

But wait, there's more.

Pizzas from Speedy are now 50 percent off after 8:30 P.M. and the delivery cost should be less. But again as far as I can tell the Chicago deep dish is only from samekitchen.

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

A mini review about a maxi type of food.

Chicago style deep dish pizza.

Not a food item you see often on menus here.

In Pattaya I've had at Big Kahuna (not on their menu anymore) but now offered by a delivery only service called samekitchen.

Their deep dish is priced at a reasonable 250 with choice of two toppings. The size is between a mini single serve deep dish and medium. Can feed one very hungry person or two normal appetites. The crust was decent. Lots of cheese, toppings, and what stood out for me was the flavor of the tomato sauce.

No, it wouldn't rate high in the Windy City, but I liked it better than what Big Kahuna used to serve.

But wait. There's more. 

It's available from their site for 50 percent for first order.

Delivery costs between 30 and 50 baht and there is a minimum order that's over 250.

So order more pizzas or food from the other restaurants on samekitchen including Mexican.

It's from Speedy Pizza which is also on apps such as grab but no Chicago deep dish on Grab.

But wait, there's more.

Pizzas from Speedy are now 50 percent off after 8:30 P.M. and the delivery cost should be less. But again as far as I can tell the Chicago deep dish is only from samekitchen.

Great review for a pizza.

A follow up to the Chicago deep dish pizza post related to the topic of foods of particular interest to Americans seeking a taste of home.

When in Thailand have you seen Chicken Mole on a Mexican menu?

Mole Poblano | Sauced | Serious Eats

Me, never, until I saw it on the Amigos menu via the samekitchen delivery only site. The Amigos menu is also on Grab and maybe some other apps.

I'm not talking about red enchilada sauce. Rather the very thick dark sauce that includes chocolate (mole Poblano) that is often served with whole pieces of chicken on bone or over chicken enchiladas. 

Definitely a more sophisticated recipe.

So of course I tried the chicken mole from Amigos. It was a generous portion of two chicken thighs in the mole sauce. As far as the flavor, well, it was definitely the right color and it was definitely mole Poblano sauce, but ...

it tasted more of chocolate than any mole sauce I've ever tasted. I'm used to the chocolate flavor being more of a hint and for there to be a pleasant kind of "bitter" or even slightly "burnt" (in a good way) flavor. Chocolate is supposed to be only ONE ingredient of many in a complex traditional Mole Poblano sauce. But it was still OK. Personally because I have a specific idea of what mole sauce should taste like I won't be rushing to order it again, but probably other people will like it better than me. To be clear it's not supposed to be a very sweet sauce and this wasn't either so that was good. Note that it's not served with rice or tortillas. 

I also tried the Mexican style rice. OK. The bean soup. Pretty good. Also the fresh salsa which I really didn't like. Not spicy and more of a chopped pickled salad and predictably no jalapenos. There are other dishes as well. Sopes, some tortilla based dishes, nachos, beef barbacoa, etc. As you can see, a more ambitious Mexican menu than we're used to seeing here. So kudos for that.

Also note that Patt's sandwiches on the same site (and also Grab) has another rare in Thailand item of interest to Americans. Shrimp Lousiana Po' Boys. 

The Chicago deep dish from Speedy Pizza is now on Grab. However there is not a choice of toppings there. Only bacon.

TIME sensitive tip.

Order a pizza from Speedy on Grab tonight only, get 50 percent off. Includes Chicago.

Yep. You only have 35 minutes!

JJ Spring Roll

Vietnamese food

Dark side

Delivery only

Fee 30 baht or variable

https://m.facebook.com/ปอเปี๊ยะจริงจัง-JJ-Spring-Roll-105097678052677/

Spring Rolls fresh or fried

Choice of fillings

I like the fresh spring rolls.

Bahn mi baguette sandwiches with lemon grass chicken or beef

Bo bun rice noodle bowls 

Small portion of fried spring roll included 

Order by fb messager or line

I have sampled their menu and found their food to be quite delicious.

The bahn mi lack pate but I don't like Vietnamese pate so no problem for me. They do have mayonnaise so if you don’t want that let them know. 

Sometimes I like to use my own Dijon mustard and Avocado on bahn mi instead of mayo.

I also pimp up their spring rolls and bo bun with my at home Sriracha and hoisin sauce.

Meat portions can be upsized for 30 baht.

Be warned that they are overwhelmed with orders now so suggest ordering during non peak meal hours.

Because of the great response from the public they plan on moving to an in house restaurant location in Pattaya not on the Darkside.

There expect more menu items including Pho.

Goes to show even in the current dreadful business environment its still possible to succeed with good products at fair prices.

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

JJ Spring Roll

Vietnamese food

Dark side

Delivery only

Fee 30 baht or variable

https://m.facebook.com/ปอเปี๊ยะจริงจัง-JJ-Spring-Roll-105097678052677/

Spring Rolls fresh or fried

Choice of fillings

I like the fresh spring rolls.

Bahn mi baguette sandwiches with lemon grass chicken or beef

Bo bun rice noodle bowls 

Small portion of fried spring roll included 

Order by fb messager or line

I have sampled their menu and found their food to be quite delicious.

The bahn mi lack pate but I don't like Vietnamese pate so no problem for me. They do have mayonnaise so if you don’t want that let them know. 

Sometimes I like to use my own Dijon mustard and Avocado on bahn mi instead of mayo.

I also pimp up their spring rolls and bo bun with my at home Sriracha and hoisin sauce.

Meat portions can be upsized for 30 baht.

Be warned that they are overwhelmed with orders now so suggest ordering during non peak meal hours.

Because of the great response from the public they plan on moving to an in house restaurant location in Pattaya not on the Darkside.

There expect more menu items including Pho.

Goes to show even in the current dreadful business environment its still possible to succeed with good products at fair prices.

Looks like they are located on the railway line road............guessing its delivery only no pickup?

13 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Looks like they are located on the railway line road............guessing its delivery only no pickup?

I don't see why you couldn't pick up but of course you'd need to confirm with them.

But my understanding is that they hope to move to an actual restaurant as soon as they can.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I don't see why you couldn't pick up but of course you'd need to confirm with them.

But my understanding is that they hope to move to an actual restaurant as soon as they can.

Will give them a try tonight.............fancy a sandwich...........delivery is probably easier, i/m only 5mins away but i've never seen the premises, bet its hidden in a shophouse behind the railway lines

1 minute ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Will give them a try tonight.............fancy a sandwich...........delivery is probably easier, i/m only 5mins away but i've never seen the premises, bet its hidden in a shophouse behind the railway lines

I recommend pairing with their fresh shrimp rolls.

I reckon most of the target market local foodies already know but a quite ambitious tapas and Spanish food restaurant has now opened in Pattaya.

Don Pepe, related to the famous Patricks, same alley.

The menu looks incredible. Obviously some of the dishes are more international fusion than traditional Spanish but traditional Spanish tapas and main dishes are well represented as well.

No I haven't tried it yet. I usually like to let new restaurants go through a shakedown cruise first but my expectations are high.

Yes also as expected as well the prices are high by Pattaya standards. Oh well.

I must admit I find the restaurant name kind of stereotypically cheesy but what's in a name?

https://m.facebook.com/donpepepattaya

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I reckon most of the target market local foodies already know but a quite ambitious tapas and Spanish food restaurant has now opened in Pattaya.

Don Pepe, related to the famous Patricks, same alley.

The menu looks incredible. Obviously some of the dishes are more international fusion than traditional Spanish but traditional Spanish tapas and main dishes are well represented as well.

No I haven't tried it yet. I usually like to let new restaurants go through a shakedown cruise first but my expectations are high.

Yes also as expected as well the prices are high by Pattaya standards. Oh well.

I must admit I find the restaurant name kind of stereotypically cheesy but what's in a name?

https://m.facebook.com/donpepepattaya

Looks, nice but how clearly overpriced. With such small portions need to spend 3000 to start feeling full..

But I guess that the guys knows what he is doing, as he is not new on the market.

53 minutes ago, hackjam said:

Yes indeed, very interesting.

I have tried several times to view menu but cannot read the writing, am I missing something?

When you get to a menu page image, click it to open and then look under it and click VIEW FULL SIZE and then you can expand the image. You're right that it's unreadable in normal view.

37 minutes ago, sncoem said:

Looks, nice but how clearly overpriced. With such small portions need to spend 3000 to start feeling full..

But I guess that the guys knows what he is doing, as he is not new on the market.

Well it depends on what you order of course but when I looked at the menu it seemed to me you could have a nice meal there for under 1000 baht including one of two tapas, a main dish like chicken, and a dessert (without booze). Tapas are often share dishes so a couple could share numerous tapas and have a tapas only meal. Or a single could have three of some of the tapas and dessert.  Sure, if you wanted to, I'm sure you could spend much more. The paella seems expensive but I'm assuming that's meant to be shared as well. 

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

When you get to a menu page image, click it to open and then look under it and click VIEW FULL SIZE and then you can expand the image. You're right that it's unreadable in normal view.

Cheers, many thanks for that, worked a treat.

1 hour ago, hackjam said:

Yes, Paella does seem expensive, especially when all ingredient's can be sourced local.

I have had the Paella in Casa Espana on Darkside a few times and is good.

Well as I keep saying, tastes vary. 

I've tried it there too twice.

It is very inexpensive for paella and you get a fair amount of seafood. However I felt it lacked authentic Spanish seasoning and flavor. 

Another local restaurant that does paella inexpensively is Beans and Beer. I found the flavor there a little better but the it still didn't do it for me.

Not sure that I want to pay Don Pepe's prices for paella but it would be shocking if they don't deliver a delicious product based on their prices and pedigree being a Patrick's related enterprise.

http://beansandbeercafe.com/

33 minutes ago, hackjam said:

Thats old Lion bar, right?

Nice looking place, will try soon.

Also noted that the Caddyshack has had a revamp/extension, not been for years, always decent pub grub before. 

Still looking so old and outdated, just like customers that you find there !

15 hours ago, sncoem said:

Still looking so old and outdated, just like customers that you find there !

Strikes me as odd to travel half way round the world to spend all your time in a copy of the pubs you left behind. Okay, so one can get away with a wobble home on a motorcycle here.  

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Strikes me as odd to travel half way round the world to spend all your time in a copy of the pubs you left behind.

Do the pubs back home have cheap Thai hookers?

You get the best of both worlds.  The comfort food and familiar atmosphere and sport on TV like back home, and the Thai women.  Not to mention, most are air conditioned.  ????

Are you suggesting bars that are not "copy pubs" are all about Thai culture?  ????  

Went to an interesting restaurant last night night and before I start, the place is between Sattahip and Bangsare, just before the new Makro coming from Sattahip, and seeing that we don't have our own area topic, I believe we fall under Pattaya forum, if not please delete.

The restaurant is called 700stad, not to be mistaken for 700 cafe just before it, they do look kind of similar, I was the only westerner in there, but the menu caters for all, the Australian imported steaks are about 600 baht upwards, but they have meals to fit all budgets, I got a delicious spare rib covered in barbecue sauce, cost around 360 baht, it came with lettuce, tomato, carrot and roast potato (not very warm). My wife ordered salmon, she had a bit of a shock when it arrived uncooked but cut into little cubes and served in a large glass.

But they have draught and quite a selection of imported beers, first beer I tried was a dark leffe and my departing beer was a Dutch 8.6 Extreme at 10.5%, and 500mls for 199 baht I thought quite reasonable, one was enough for me.

It does have its own F/B page. 700 stad. The photo's were taken from the F/B page.

128994736_4795990897140404_344572244209430549_o.jpg

130274534_4799330740139753_2821071095993286204_o.jpg

Chengdu Restaurant 

Sichuan Chinese food.

3rd road north of Pattaya 

Appears to be likely out of business.

Not fully confirmed yet.

I posted a rave review of this place before. 

They had offered quite decent authentic Sichuan food at almost shockingly low prices for Sichuan in Pattaya. 

I became a very frequent customer via the Hungry Now delivery app.

Well that app still shows the restaurant. 

However it shows as hours -- closed every day.

The restaurant name Chengdu deleted and replaced with Thai.

The restaurant no longer searchable based on Chengdu or Chinese. 

Sounds bad huh?

I don't know if any readers here had bothered to try it.

One reason I ordered from them so often was that I love that kind of food and it seemed too good to be true. Such blessings don't last in Pattaya. Grab em while you can.

I hope I'm wrong and this is just a temporary closure. If someone happens to pass it on 3rd road can you please report here whether it appears to be permanently closed or not?

Archived