The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

This is not world class Couscous Royale and not trying to be, but it's more than serviceable and definitely worth the current price, 395 baht. Refills on the vegetable stew will be offered but you won't need it.

How does this compare with the couscous that Stroganof II used to do as part of their 4/5-course meal? I used to enjoy that and found it quite authentic (at least to French Bistro standards). That also had various meats including merguez and came with a tiny bowl of harissa.

Since Stroganof changed hands/name and completely altered its pricing structure I haven't been back.

It's been a while as I used to eat it there as well. I think similar French style Moroccan. I think you'll probably like it.

Edited by Jingthing

Thank you for the information about the all American hotdog place. From the map I think it is located after Soi Watboon , before soi 12. I live not too far away but never knew they existed. Will check them out asap.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your suggestions.

This is a CASUAL restaurant item thread.

There is no required TEMPLATE for how to post your restaurant comments, and there never will be.

These items can be very robust or they can be one sentence. Hopefully that one sentence tells us something INTERESTING about local restaurants.

If people want to post map links, fine, if they don't, that's fine too. That is their personal choice.

As far as La Petite Planette, if you can't find Tuk Com you may as well just stay home. rolleyes.gif

the map link thing is just a SUGGESTION on how to BETTER share locations! of course it is OPTIONAL, yet using map links doesn't make a post "UNCASUAL" :-)

• Like 1

All American Hotdogs & Snow Cones

https://www.facebook.com/allamericanhotdogandsnowcones/?fref=ts

Located in Jomtien just off Beach Road on Soi Welcome.

Nothing real special about the hotdog itself, (not gourmet) but the toppings and the in house baked bun were

a treat. It was served to hot to handle initially, which is a plus. I tried the Michigan Coney which went for 165 baht with potato chips.

1890592_740704179394979_3469934654604367

I also tried their Cheeseburger and it was also very tasty. Again not a gourmet type burger like some other places but plenty good and less that 200 baht, also served with chips. Reminds me of what I would grill for myself back in the states. Next time I'll ask them to hold the mustard though, just a personal preference.

12184303_740700439395353_345020083197195

Another place worthy of future visits imho and they are offering delivery via Food Panda, although their burgers aren't on that menu yet.

Right now they are offering a Chicken Parmesan sub with fries and a coke for 165 baht. No pics but very tasty, plenty of cheese also. Definitely a super value you'd be hard put to find elsewhere.

Reattached lost images.

ESPRESSO 99 Cafe, Jomtien.

Located on Thappraya Road on the hill going into Jomtien, a few doors down from the Continental Bakery and the Tapprasit stop signal.

The baht bus can drop you off at the door.

A friendly Italian guy runs this cafe & serves up the best cappuccino in the area. There are lots of Italian customers stopping in for a quik espresso so it must be good.

Yesterday, I tried the hamburger and was very pleased. They grind their own meat he tells me.

I have also sampled his breakfasts, pastas, sandwiches & specials. Good.

Enjoy the air-con inside or sit on the terrace. Up to you.

This is a very well run establishment and probably the cleanest restaurant I have ever seen.

And the question that is on everybody's mind I'm sure....

Will he let the Pattaya drinking water smugglers in? I don't know.

Agree completely and was sorry to see him leave when bought out by the Pastrami guys. Really liked buying bags of his coffee blend for home use. Ran into him by chance last week and he has reopened as Porky's BBQ. It is situated on the road running along the north side of Rompho Market. About the best cappuccino you will find in these parts.

• 2 weeks later...

La Bocca Pizza all you can eat 250 baht from 12:30 until 16:30 includes soft drink or small draft beer, what more can I say? Been there once a month ago and it was pretty good and tasty. Crunchy thin crust with a good tasting sauce.

This a great value and is new to me anyway.

12242156_744542102344520_1716979617_n.jp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

La Bocca Pizza all you can eat 250 baht from 12:30 until 16:30 includes soft drink or small draft beer, what more can I say? Been there once a month ago and it was pretty good and tasty. Crunchy thin crust with a good tasting sauce.

Ooooohhh!

Is this every day? I will certainly be trying it though probably not before Thursday as my schedule is full until then.

Ooooohhh!

Is this every day? I will certainly be trying it though probably not before Thursday as my schedule is full until then.

I think so, they are closed on Tuesday's according to their website. I'll ask and report back if it isn't everyday.

Directions (forgot to include it on my initial post)

La Bocca is located at the bottom of Theppraya Road

(on the left hand side)

on the way to Jomtien Beach

and opposite the Jomtien Pig & Whistle Pub.

315/172 Moo 12

Thappraya Road

Jomtien, Pattaya

Thailand 20150

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La+Bocca+Pattaya/@12.901387,100.869885,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xf1f560988d61f16b?hl=en-US

• Thanks 1

Things must be bad...low-season promos like this at the start of the high-season.

Things must be bad...low-season promos like this at the start of the high-season.

It's called marketing, look at the hours. I have had their pizzas during the dinner hour and hopefully the "promotion" pizza is the same excellent quality and good taste.

It's called marketing, look at the hours. I have had their pizzas during the dinner hour and hopefully the "promotion" pizza is the same excellent quality and good taste.

What is says to me is "there's no customers during the daytime," which is strange for a beach resort in high-season.

I try to avoid "all you can eat" places becsuse my stomach is not that big really so if I pay for one pizza thats more than enough.

It's not that I want to eat more, it's that I want to have a choice of what I eat. But looking more closely at this particular offer it seems that it isnt actually a buffet just an "order whatever you like" offer, and so is of less interest than I originally thought.

This would only be worthwhile for me if I can find a few other people to go with so that we can order several different pizzas to taste.

• Like 1

What is says to me is "there's no customers during the daytime," which is strange for a beach resort in high-season.

There's a lot of nearby competition from places doing general Italian food and pizzas, and most of them are fairly up-market. I dont think that many of them are very busy either, especially in daytime, given the demographic of holidaymakers in that area.

• Like 1

I try to avoid "all you can eat" places becsuse my stomach is not that big really so if I pay for one pizza thats more than enough.

It's not that I want to eat more, it's that I want to have a choice of what I eat. But looking more closely at this particular offer it seems that it isnt actually a buffet just an "order whatever you like" offer, and so is of less interest than I originally thought.

This would only be worthwhile for me if I can find a few other people to go with so that we can order several different pizzas to taste.

I went there today and got to sample 6 different types of toppings on 3 different pizzas, maybe more. There was a big eating pizza table next to mine so that kept the pizzas rolling, fresh and with different varieties.

They were serving 2 slices at a time and were very good on refilling, not once did I have to ask for a refill. There were periods when I had to wait on the next pie to be ready but that's alright as it was fresh out of the oven.

I'll be back as it's a good value and good quality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went there today and got to sample 6 different types of toppings on 3 different pizzas, maybe more. There was a big eating pizza table next to mine so that kept the pizzas rolling, fresh and with different varieties.

They were serving 2 slices at a time and were very good on refilling, not once did I have to ask for a refill. There were periods when I had to wait on the next pie to be ready but that's alright as it was fresh out of the oven.

I'll be back as it's a good value and good quality.

Great. That sounds exactly right for me.

• Like 1

Wow, 995 Baht for a meal? I've been to the Sportsman and the food was okay, but almost 1,000 Baht? I think I'll pass this year.

I am thinking about going for their pizza and pasta buffet on Fridays @ 6:30-10pm though.

12265567_998614436867317_750114612094404

Edited by Roger Lee

Wow, 995 Baht for a meal? I've been to the Sportsman and the food was okay, but almost 1,000 Baht? I think I'll pass this year.

I am thinking about going for their pizza and pasta buffet on Fridays @ 6:30-10pm though.

Some expensive ingredients in that menu but 995B would be more acceptable if the cheese was a fourth course along with the other three. As it stands it seems overpriced to me for a plated meal of only three courses.

The pizza/pasta buffet there isnt bad (the pastas and salads are better than the pizza) but it has just gone from 199B to 249B and at that price there are other places to try.

Random Restaurant Ramblings by JayTee ermm.gif

CHOW BOX Reincarnated. (Spooky?)

Chow Box, the western style "Chinese" restaurant that was previously in the fancy garish digs on Tappraya road between South Pattaya and Jomtien has now opened at front of Pattaya New Plaza, 2nd road, south of Pattaya Klang.

No further info. I have never sampled any Chow Box.

http://www.soidb.com/pattaya/bar-complex/pattaya-new-plaza.html

Govindam

New Indian Vegetarian Restaurant

Pattaya Klang

Near 2nd road, south side of street, going east

Yes, another one!

This one priced budget friendly.

Come on down.

You can always grab a pork stick on the street after. whistling.gif

https://www.facebook.com/Govindam.thailand1#_=_

Another Cheap Charlie Thanksgiving meal.

I think Casa Pascal do what they do, very well.

Always reasonable quality and good value.

People pay 1700 baht for a meal in Pattaya?

its actually 1600 baht ++ for that I can get a good bottle of red, an entree and amazing steak waterfront Sydney harbor. How does a restaurant in Pattaya justify that while paying staff a retainer of $5/hour?

• Like 1

1600++ gets you the Amari Sunday brunch which personally I would more inclined to spend my money on than some plated Thanksgiving meal.

But the prices this Thanksgiving/Xmas seem to be unusually high due to the shortage of US turkeys, even though that shortage doesn't make a lot of sense (there are loads of healthy ones in the UK so why not just import them from there?).

1600++ gets you the Amari Sunday brunch which personally I would more inclined to spend my money on than some plated Thanksgiving meal.

But the prices this Thanksgiving/Xmas seem to be unusually high due to the shortage of US turkeys, even though that shortage doesn't make a lot of sense (there are loads of healthy ones in the UK so why not just import them from there?).

That would require forward planning and foresight from the thais.... even the US can't get their acts together and import enough turkeys for themselves, how could the thais manage? and just for a couple of days.... people can go by without turkeys this year.

But most people that want to and plan ahead will manage to get their turkey, some already do, the shortage will only affect the clueless

Goose works too and is arguably more delicious. They raise geese in Thailand, right? Would you reject a T-day dinner that used goose instead of turkey?

I've had goose often back in the UK. As far as I'm concerned it's a lot nicer than turkey which I find very boring. Duck is also better than turkey, for me. Never seen goose on sale here though.

Also if you cook your goose at home you will end up with a lot of goose fat which is brilliant for roast potatoes the following months.

I dont bother with Thanksgiving at all but if I go out for an Xmas meal here I'm much more likely to take the fish choice (usually salmon) than the turkey.

Didn't there used to be Chinese duck place on 3rd road that sold goose too? (North of Pattaya Klang.) I think they're not there anymore but maybe I'm wrong. That's where the demand for GOOSE is here. For Chinese food. I'm sure they have it in Bangkok. Yes it is a very fatty bird but what the heck, Thanksgiving is a FEAST day.

I think the last time I had goose was at a Jewish food restaurant in Budapest! Ah, memories.

Edited by Jingthing