The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Could be a little more specific about the location of Casa On, please? Is it after the left hand turn at the Siam CC archway? If so, how far after that turn. Even if it's not, as you say, as good as it once was, there isn't really any other choice on the darkside for Mexican food that I know of.

If anybody has any suggestions in that regard, please post them.

I'm not a major fan of Mexican food, but I do get a desire for it now and then. My choice on such occasions has been Mike's Mexican on Soi 5 off Thappraya Road. Sam's Mexican in the Jomtien Complex was good as well, if it's still open. But both of those are a long, frustrating drive from the east side now, thanks to the damn tunnel construction, and the 4 km tank trap that used to be Patanakarn Road. :-(

I'm not a major fan of Mexican food, but I do get a desire for it now and then. My choice on such occasions has been Mike's Mexican on Soi 5 off Thappraya Road. Sam's Mexican in the Jomtien Complex was good as well, if it's still open. But both of those are a long, frustrating drive from the east side now, thanks to the damn tunnel construction, and the 4 km tank trap that used to be Patanakarn Road. :-(

Ever try Pattaya Cantina ?

http://www.thepattayacantina.com/content/view/12/37/

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip; but I doubt that I'll go there. Deep in the heart of the traffic that I hate. I drive a car, not a bike; and anything west of Sukhumivit is a nightmare, as far as I'm concerned. Even more so when it comes to trying to park. Just not worth the aggravation for food I can get elsewhere.

Could be a little more specific about the location of Casa On, please? Is it after the left hand turn at the Siam CC archway? If so, how far after that turn.

It is 1.7 km round the lake after the left turn at the SCC arch / 7-11 junction.

Could be a little more specific about the location of Casa On, please? Is it after the left hand turn at the Siam CC archway? If so, how far after that turn.

It is 1.7 km round the lake after the left turn at the SCC arch / 7-11 junction.

Thanks! I'll try it either tomorrow or Saturday, and give you my opinion. Since I have no past visits to compare it too, I may be a bit more forgiving than you. As I've said, not much to compare to over here for Mexican food. :-)

Thanks for the tip; but I doubt that I'll go there. Deep in the heart of the traffic that I hate. I drive a car, not a bike; and anything west of Sukhumivit is a nightmare, as far as I'm concerned. Even more so when it comes to trying to park. Just not worth the aggravation for food I can get elsewhere.

Not too bad for you, its off 3rd Road, and there is plenty of street parking where the restaurant is.

Thanks! I'll try it either tomorrow or Saturday, and give you my opinion. Since I have no past visits to compare it too, I may be a bit more forgiving than you. As I've said, not much to compare to over here for Mexican food. :-)

Just returned from my first visit to Casa On, and I hope it won't be my last. There's a "SALE" sign taped on their main sign. :-(

I had the California Burrito (250 bt) with pork; and an excellent large Cadillac Martarita (250 bt). The burrito could have been better if they used carnitas pork. This was ground pork. However, the flavor was excellent. Served "wet" style, with a mild sauce on it. Only slightly spicy, allowing the customer to take it from there with a hot sauce, if desired (tobasco, habanero, and chipotle all available on the table).

I didn't notice the "SALE" sign until I was driving away. Was not happy to see that, because, as I've said before, there simply are NO Mexican food options available here on the darkside that I know of. This place is a pleasant, low traffic, 10 minute drive from my house. I'll be sorry if it closes. Someday next week I'll return, and try to learn more about that "SALE" sign. If anybody already knows the situation, please post the story.

Not too bad for you, its off 3rd Road, and there is plenty of street parking where the restaurant is.

Have you driven from the darkside to the west side of Sukhumvit lately? Anytime you have to make that trip, to any location across Suk, it's a bad deal now. Major backup before crossing the RR. Then you have to go well out of your way to get to the other side of Suk, and deal with the traffic on that road (depending upon the day and time of day, of course). Then there's the traffic on the main road you use to get to 3rd Road (Tai or Klang); and the interminable traffic light at every 3rd Road intersection. (Those are the longest lights in Pattaya!) It's just a hassle, no matter how you cut it.

Just returned from my first visit to Casa On, and I hope it won't be my last. There's a "SALE" sign taped on their main sign. :-(

I had the California Burrito (250 bt) with pork; and an excellent large Cadillac Martarita (250 bt). The burrito could have been better if they used carnitas pork. This was ground pork. However, the flavor was excellent. Served "wet" style, with a mild sauce on it. Only slightly spicy, allowing the customer to take it from there with a hot sauce, if desired (tobasco, habanero, and chipotle all available on the table).

I didn't notice the "SALE" sign until I was driving away. Was not happy to see that, because, as I've said before, there simply are NO Mexican food options available here on the darkside that I know of. This place is a pleasant, low traffic, 10 minute drive from my house. I'll be sorry if it closes. Someday next week I'll return, and try to learn more about that "SALE" sign. If anybody already knows the situation, please post the story.

. California Burritos have French fries, did it, thx

Umm, no. Why would a California Burrito have French fries? Fries are not Mexican food. It's just a large burrito, made California style (wet, wtih beans, rice, cheese, spices inside; as well as meat of choice).

I guess you've never been to California or you would know the cuisine, California Burrito (French fries)I believe originated in San Diego Co., there's s Mission style burrito in San Francisco, both are accompanied with chips and usually a salsa bar available ,Cheers, now you know a lil more about burritos, never heard of a California Burrito or a Arizona , New Mexico, Texas Burrito , California style means Wet, always heard Wet, Mexican Burrito originated in Northern Mexico Edited by Ireland32

Umm, no. Why would a California Burrito have French fries? Fries are not Mexican food. It's just a large burrito, made California style (wet, wtih beans, rice, cheese, spices inside; as well as meat of choice).

I guess you've never been to California or you would know the cuisine, California Burrito (French fries)I believe originated in San Diego Co., there's s Mission style burrito in San Francisco, both are accompanied with chips and usually a salsa bar available ,Cheers, now you know a lil more about burritos, never heard of a California Burrito or a Arizona , New Mexico, Texas Burrito , California style means Wet, always heard Wet, Mexican Burrito originated in Northern Mexico

Lived on burritos in San Francisco Mission district for several years. Fries are not a thing with those and wet is usually something for some more formal restaurants rather than actual TAQUERIAS (where the main dishes are burritos and tacos).

To add, Mission District burritos (the ICONIC California burritos) were developed by Mexican people in California. California used to BE Mexico! The popular shops in the Mission are very popular with diverse ethnicities including a large percentage of Latinos, many actual Mexicans.

True the original burrito is much more BASIC and was from Northern Mexico. Such basic burritos are often available in the U.S. as well at some restaurants depending on the region. In Mexico, burritos are a Northern Mexican thing and won't be found on menus south of there except perhaps at tourist trap spots. In the U.S.nationally they have become one of the most popular foods available everywhere.

Next ..

I was brought up on La Cumbre, El Faro

I guess you've never been to California or you would know the cuisine, California Burrito (French fries)I believe originated in San Diego Co., there's s Mission style burrito in San Francisco, both are accompanied with chips and usually a salsa bar available ,Cheers, now you know a lil more about burritos, never heard of a California Burrito or a Arizona , New Mexico, Texas Burrito , California style means Wet, always heard Wet, Mexican Burrito originated in Northern Mexico

LOL! I lived in So Cal (Orange County) for the last 30 years before retirement in 2006. Visited San Diego dozens of times, and SF several times. Never had Mexican food in either of those cities. But I never saw a burrito served with FF as a "standard" in my area. You could order them in many restaurants, of course. But they were not listed on the menu with burritos, or any other Mexican item (quesadillas, enchiladas, fajitas, etc.)

• Like 2

OK, I spaced out.

Yeah some of those places do sell fries.

Not all of them.

The fries, as I recall, ironically, are more popular with Mexican customers than Anglos.

Had to jog my memory a little bit because I find the combination appalling.

In any case, they're an optional SIDE ORDER, when available, not something IN the burritos or tacos, etc.

Edited by Jingthing

OK, I spaced out.

Not all of them.

The fries, as I recall, ironically, are more popular with Mexican customers than Anglos.

In any case, they're an optional SIDE ORDER, when available, not something IN the burritos or tacos, etc.

Right, JT. The common "side" with a burrito (or most Mex entres) is tortilla chips and salsa.

• Like 2

OK, I spaced out.

Not all of them.

Dell taco sells fries

OK, I spaced out.

Not all of them.

Dell taco sells fries

And hamburgers. Never seen fries sold at any burrito place in SoCal. Plus, it's a stretch to call Del Taco a real Mexican restaurant! LOL

• Like 1

OK, I spaced out.

Not all of them.

u have been gone too long, Asada Fries are now a thing in California at taquerias, also it's a San Diego thing to put fries in burritos, why it's called California Burrito, place on Taraval Burrito Express in SF has Asada fries and California burrito which includes fries, so get current, Please, Hell Google fries in burritos, and instead of Nachos u have Asada fries, il take pics if u like, but it sounds like , ur done with it

Hello, I cannot find any Vietnamese restaurant around Pattaya ? Any idea ? Thanks.

Only one left in Pattaya, is off 3rd Road.

Heading north on 3rd Road, its on the last Soi on the right, before you reach Pattaya Glang junction.

Edit:

Their facebook page says Naklua, but its not and the map is correct.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chanya-Nem-Nuong-Vietnamese/186319084764202?ref=ts&fref=ts

Edited by TaaSaparot
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much, no review here ? I like Viet food because of all the fresh vegetables, I will try it an report.

Hello, I cannot find any Vietnamese restaurant around Pattaya ? Any idea ? Thanks.

Only one left in Pattaya, is off 3rd Road.

Heading north on 3rd Road, its on the last Soi on the right, before you reach Pattaya Glang junction.

Edit:

Their facebook page says Naklua, but its not and the map is correct.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chanya-Nem-Nuong-Vietnamese/186319084764202?ref=ts&fref=ts

Thai Express at Royal Garden Mall.

Entrance floor. Beach side.

My first encounter with this chain, just looking at the menu so far.

The menu was very impressive, great pictures but do they match the food, and included many dishes you rarely find.

Without knowing the chain, my impression was this seems to be a NON-Thai, even western, chain doing a great take on Thai food.

Indeed it's a Singapore chain expanding globally.

Prices are high for local Thai. 300 baht for chicken massaman.

I would assume a place like that is probably plus plus.

Some street food options presumably without the street food hygiene worries.

If I move to the U.S., I hope they expand there.

Not sure how I feel about eating there much here though, price-wise, but like I said they've got Thai dishes you don't often see.

Their Singapore website says their roasted chicken thigh was voted best roasted chicken thigh in Pattaya!

Funny because the Singapore website doesn't show their Thailand locations.

Anyway, so they're not Thai, so what, maybe ballsy of them to expand in Thailand, kind of like Starbucks going into Italy. But if the menu is any indication ... it might turn out to be one of the better Thai options in town.

http://thaiexpress.com.sg/

Edited by Jingthing

Thai Express at Royal Garden Mall.

Entrance floor. Beach side.

My first encounter with this chain, just looking at the menu so far.

The menu was very impressive, great pictures but do they match the food, and included many dishes you rarely find.

Without knowing the chain, my impression was this seems to be a NON-Thai, even western, chain doing a great take on Thai food.

Indeed it's a Singapore chain expanding globally.

Prices are high for local Thai. 300 baht for chicken massaman.

I would assume a place like that is probably plus plus.

Some street food options presumably without the street food hygiene worries.

If I move to the U.S., I hope they expand there.

Not sure how I feel about eating there much here though, price-wise, but like I said they've got Thai dishes you don't often see.

Their Singapore website says their roasted chicken thigh was voted best roasted chicken thigh in Pattaya!

Funny because the Singapore website doesn't show their Thailand locations.

Anyway, so they're not Thai, so what, maybe ballsy of them to expand in Thailand, kind of like Starbucks going into Italy. But if the menu is any indication ... it might turn out to be one of the better Thai options in town.

http://thaiexpress.com.sg/

300Bt for a curry is allot, but consider the ocean front establishment leases for around 300,000Bt / month.

Then you pay the staff, electric, food costs, interest on the loan, breakage, thefts, waste, insurance, taxes, accounting, licenses, depreciation, advertising, scams and corruption.....

Not going to be easy.

Edited by CousinEddie