webfact

NEW YEAR'S EXODUS

Bus, train stations jammed as holidaymakers head upcountry

Wattana Khamchu,

Mongkhonchaowarat Tangmangmee,

Prasit Tangprasert

The Nation

30197006-01_big.jpg

Traffic comes to a virtual halt on Mitrapab Road in Nakhon Ratchasima yesterday.

Passengers estimated at 300,000; 33 killed on first day of 'danger period'

BANGKOK: -- Hundreds of thousands of people flocked to key bus terminals and train stations in Bangkok yesterday to get a ride back to their home provinces for the New Year celebrations.

Traffic around the terminals, such as the Morchit Terminal II, came to a virtual standstill last night, and congestion was already reported on several key roads to other parts of the country.

Millions of Bangkok residents hail from other provinces. During long holidays such as the New Year, many of them visit their hometowns. On top of this, huge numbers of Bangkokians head to other provinces to enjoy the holiday out of town.

Additional train services

Deputy Transport Minister Prasert Chantararuangthong said 24 more train trips were added to the schedule yesterday to facilitate the extra passengers. The number of carriages per train had also been increased to accommodate the demand, he said.

"Each train will get two more carriages to make sure passengers won't be stranded," he said. He believed some 100,000 passengers left the capital by train yesterday.

Transport Co Ltd, which provides bus services, believed the number of passengers would reach 200,000 yesterday.

The bus-service provider vowed to ensure there were enough seats for all.

Prasert encouraged passengers who are overcharged for bus tickets to call hotline numbers 1584 and 1490 round the clock.

"Selling an overpriced bus ticket is punishable by a fine of up toBt10,000," he said.

With the huge demand for road travel, traffic jams hit several parts of the country yesterday. Tailback along the main road through Nakhon Sawan, the gateway to the North, for example, measured nearly 10 kilometres. Traffic jams hit the province starting at noon.

Officials also prevented trucks from entering the heart of Nakhon Sawan in the hope of easing the traffic woes.

Nakhon Ratchasima, the gateway to the Northeast, also saw heavy traffic. The traffic was paralysed at various portions of the Mitrapab Road.

Accidents

Meanwhile, the Road Safety Directing Centre reported that road accidents on the first of the seven dangerous days of the New Year celebrations claimed 33 lives and injured 322 people.

The seven-day period started on Thursday.

The centre said that as many as 314 accidents took place on Thursday, causing 33 deaths and injuring 322 people.

Although road casualties were down compared with the same period a year earlier, the losses were still huge, the centre said.

Drunkenness emerged as the leading cause of the accidents. Speeding came second. Failure to wear a crash helmet was blamed for 18.59 per cent of the injuries and deaths.

Relevant organisations are now vigorously promoting the "Towards the New Year with Safety" campaign.

According to the Road Safety Directing Centre, officials manned checkpoints along roads across the country to promote safe driving. In a matter of just one day, 21,533 motorists were arrested for not having a driver's licence and 20,169 for not wearing a crash helmet.

Chiang Mai has seen the highest number of road accidents so far. As many as 20 accidents took place, causing four deaths and injuring 17 victims.

Only 11 of the 77 provinces were accident-free on Thursday. They were Kamphaeng Phet, Chachoengsao, Chumphon, Trat, Nakhon Nayok, Yasothon, Si Sa Ket, Satun, Samut Prakan, Saraburi and Nong Khai.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-29

UPDATE:

RT @RichardBarrow:

First 2 days during new year on Thai roads sees 71 dead & 826 injured

RT @Neaw_NBC: 7วันอันตรายปีใหม่2วันตาย71เจ็บ826

Talked with one of my friends in Sisaket yesterday and he said it was crazy on the roads and that as usual there were many accidents.

So how come it's reported there are none?

Totally unbelievable statistics!

Edited by apetley

Talked with one of my friends in Sisaket yesterday and he said it was crazy on the roads and that as usual there were many accidents.

Sorry, but the traffic is and was always crazy in Sisaket.--...coffee1.gif

Sorry, but the traffic is and was always crazy in Sisaket.--...coffee1.gif

Exactly the point. So how come it's being reported there has been NO accidents in the entire province?

"Only 11 of the 77 provinces were accident-free on Thursday. They were Kamphaeng Phet, Chachoengsao, Chumphon, Trat, Nakhon Nayok, Yasothon, Si Sa Ket, Satun, Samut Prakan, Saraburi and Nong Khai.".

There are always accidents. Somebody not wanting to loose face......laugh.png...]= ]

Well over 40000 thousand arrested in one day for no license or helmet? Who writes this crap?

On the spot fine maybe but no way was that number of people taken into police custody.

combined statistics--those "arrested" (which probably means stopped, told to report to a police booth or station to pay a fine, as per usual in Thailand, not being locked up) those without a helmet and those without a license, not a combined total of 40,000 persons but the combined total of these two misdemeanors that drivers (probably in the 20,000 number) got fined for, concurrently.

• Like 1

My wife and daughter were in an accident in Si Sa Ket yesterday! ( thankfully no one hurt)

Unlicensed driver pushed her off the road to avoid a motorbike while overtaking then paid the cops 300b to tell my wife the accident was her fault. Threatened her with arrest if she didn't stop trying to argue the point with them.

Xxxxxxx backwards hillbillies, all the witnesses were from the same village as the boy....not his fault

I swear once people pass Korat their IQ drops 50 points.....

You could have had it more complicated. The 300 baht were because the boy had no license to drive, as usual.

Once, there's no solution, both vehicles have to be brought to the police station to get things sorted out. You could also spend your weekend at the police station and argue who's fault it was.w00t.gif

New Year road death toll rises to 71

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The first two days of seven dangerous New Year Holidays saw71 people killed and 826 injured, the road safety management committee announced Saturday.

The second day of the seven-day period or on Friday, 495 road accidents were reported and 38 people were killed and 504 others injured.

Drunk driving remained the biggest cause of the accidents. The committee said 32.32 per cent of the accidents involved drunk driving.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-29

My wife and daughter were in an accident in Si Sa Ket yesterday! ( thankfully no one hurt)

Unlicensed driver pushed her off the road to avoid a motorbike while overtaking then paid the cops 300b to tell my wife the accident was her fault. Threatened her with arrest if she didn't stop trying to argue the point with them.

Xxxxxxx backwards hillbillies, all the witnesses were from the same village as the boy....not his fault

Does it drop!!!!! How can something drop from nothing....needs explanation.....!!!!!!

And where do you pair of Einsteins live?

I remember my ex- wife lying to her teeth about fender benders too. Lot's to do with something called 'face' if recall.

It has been said in these here Isaan parts that them city slickers have huge faces btw.

I absolutely agree with you on both the dirty scoundrels hillbillies & the IQ points dropping 50, no; make it 70. As they say: "The Devil can even cite scriptures from the bible for its own purpose!" You just have to completely avoid them & ignore them at all cost! The better educated & civilised locals do that too! I quote my Thai friend: "What for get involve with people like that, they cannot even think for themselves let alone for others!" "More stupid than a buffalo, social skills born lower than a dog!" He said that in Thai. I'm translating it to English for you.

Does it drop!!!!! How can something drop from nothing....needs explanation.....!!!!!!

Their IQ becomes a negative value!

71 killed on roads in first two days of 'Seven Dangerous Days' of New Year

By Digital Media

20121229135619-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 29 - The death toll from road accidents reached 71 and 826 people were reportedly injured in the first two days of the 'Seven Dangerous Days' of the New Year holiday, according to the Department of Probation.

Director-general of the Probation Department Ruenwadee Suwanmongkol said on Dec 28 alone, 38 people were killed and 504 people were wounded in 495 road accidents, with the northern province of Lampang cited with the highest number of accidents and injured.

For the first two days of the 'Seven Dangerous Days' (Dec 27-28), Ms Ruenwadee said, the total death toll climbed to 71, lower than last year's record at 94 deaths.

She said the most accumulated deaths -- 4 each -- were recorded in northeastern province of Chiang Mai, the eastern seaside province of Chonburi and the capital, Bangkok.

The biggest cause of accidents at 32.88 percent was drunk driving, followed by speeding at 20.52 percent. Motorcycles were the vehicles most involved in accidents or 83.39 percent.

The period when accidents occurred most frequently was between 4pm-8pm, followed by 8pm until midnight.

More than half of the deaths -- 56.41 percent -- were working adults, followed by teenagers under 20 years old at 22.74 percent, while 8.14 percent of deaths were children under the age of 15 years old. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-12-29

Just had a call from people who left from BKK for a normally 4hr trip to Buri Ram - it took them nearly 12 hours to get there.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

At least they got there mate, better safe than sorry, that call could have been a lot different, as other family's this new year will be getting a call with a different outcome.

Just had a call from people who left from BKK for a normally 4hr trip to Buri Ram - it took them nearly 12 hours to get there.

At least they got there mate, better safe than sorry, that call could have been a lot different, as other family's this new year will be getting a call with a different outcome.

Indeed. My post wasn't meant as a complaint but rather a small observation meant to add to the picture of the roads right now.

I made a big mistake - arrived at Suvarnabhumi at 8.10 from Oz last night drove to Korat arriving at 9.15 this morning - bumper to bumper most of the way - nowhere to park at the service stations - took my wife 25 minutes to go to the loo because of the queue. Its hard not to be too close to the car in front - as soon as you leave some road space a car jumps in front to close the gap! No major accidents but hundreds of white spray paint marks onthe tarmac where the many bumper to bumper crashes have occured. I should have known better. Edited by linno2

I made a big mistake - arrived at Suvarnabhumi at 8.10 from Oz last night drove to Korat arriving at 9.15 this morning - bumper to bumper most of the way - nowhere to park at the service stations - took my wife 25 minutes to go to the loo because of the queue. Its hard not to be too close to the car in front - as soon as you leave some road space a car jumps in front to close the gap! No major accidents but hundreds of white spray paint marks onthe tarmac where the many bumper to bumper crashes have occured. I should have known better.

Yes, you should have! I did. :)

At least you made it safe and sound.

• Like 1

RT@191Thailand: 38 die on Thai roads on second ‘dangerous day’. Total is now 71 deaths (Bangkok Post)

​RT@191Thailand: Provinces with most road fatalities were Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Chonburi, with 4 deaths each

RT@191Thailand: On Friday, 32.88% of road accidents were caused by drunk driving and 20.52% by speeding.