Rally Outside Court Was Outrageous, Judge Says

Lite Beer

REDS

Rally outside court was outrageous, judge says

Kesinee Taengkhiao

The Nation on Sunday December 30, 2012 1:00 am

BANGKOK: -- A rally by protesters who carried the body of a convicted red shirt to the front of the Criminal Court was outrageous, but the court may not take legal action against the group, Chief Judge of the Criminal Court Tawee Prachuaplarp said yesterday.

He was referring to the red shirt rally on Friday by 50 people, who parked a pickup carrying the body of Wanchai Raksanguansilp, who was convicted of an arson attack on City Hall in Udon Thani two years ago. Protesters verbally attacked the court via loud speakers.

Wanchai, 30, was sentenced by the court in Udon Thani to 20 years and six months in jail for the arson attack and violating the Emergency Decree. He was held at Laksi Remand Prison but died on Thursday. The cause of his death is not known.

Judge Tawee said it was unreasonable for the group to rally, to attack the Criminal Court and place the body in front of the court as the Criminal Court in Bangkok had nothing to do with his case.

Wanchai's case was also different from Ampon Tangnoppakhun, a suspect in a lese majeste case.

He said he understood that the group was grieving. The court had not decided whether to take legal action against them.

Bangkok Remand Prison commander Sorasit Chongcharoen said the autopsy found Wanchai died from failed respiratory and blood-circulation systems. No trace of assault found.

The man looked healthy. His mother said her son used to complain of chest tightness so she advised him to tell the officials but he did not, Sorasit said.

Department of Correction chief Suchart Wongananchai had told officers to monitor the health of detainees at the prison in Laksi and there was a weekly check-up, Sorasit said.

There are 21 detainees, charged in relation to political incidents, at this prison. Stress is one of the prisoners' concerns.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-30

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So civilised and law respecting, democracy loving, peaceful, wonderful, enlightened souls; why can't everyone see how virutous and 100% right about everything they are? Oh the injustice!

Ahh, so you are opposed to dissent and freedom of expression?

There is nothing in the report that states that the mourners were either uncivilised, or in violation of the law.

The mourners came to the courthouse to express their concern about the death of the person. No one was assaulted, and no laws broken, correct?

The Judge was annoyed because he felt the protest should have been in Udon Thani and not Bangkok.

The death does illustrate one important point: Thailand's prison inmates do not have access to basic medical care. Some of you might say, let them rot. However, in a civilised society we do not deny basic medical care to people even if an inmate serving a short sentence. A man that has symptoms of angina and circulatory disease would have been easily diagnosed at the "weekly" medical inspection, if there was actually an actual medical inspection.

• Like 2

"Protesters verbally attacked the court via loud speakers."

I think there is some regulation on the books about loudspeakers within a certain distance of the court. It must interfere with people trying to conduct court business. I live around the corner from this area and it is quite loud to say nothing of tying up traffic as they park in the traffic lanes. They don't car pool-everyone it seems has their own car. The police as usual just stand around talking to them.

So civilised and law respecting, democracy loving, peaceful, wonderful, enlightened souls; why can't everyone see how virutous and 100% right about everything they are? Oh the injustice!

There is nothing in the report that states that the mourners were either uncivilised, or in violation of the law.

The mourners came to the courthouse to express their concern about the death of the person. No one was assaulted, and no laws broken, correct?

The Judge was annoyed because he felt the protest should have been in Udon Thani and not Bangkok.

The death does illustrate one important point: Thailand's prison inmates do not have access to basic medical care. Some of you might say, let them rot. However, in a civilised society we do not deny basic medical care to people even if an inmate serving a short sentence. A man that has symptoms of angina and circulatory disease would have been easily diagnosed at the "weekly" medical inspection, if there was actually an actual medical inspection.

Because this man died of a heart attack, prison inmates "Do not have access to to basic medical care" that is quite the assumption! As is your diagnosis.

What is your take on the L.A. riots? Wasn't the twin towers tragedy an expression of discontent with US diplomacy and foreign policy? Were they are 'good thing' to be encouraged? Are you going to be selective and who do you think should deciding what is acceptable or not? Are you OK with the shutting down of Swampy?

The notion that the exploited Red Rabble took to the streets on this occasion had little to do with the death of a prison inmate or the lack of health care facilities and procedures. Would they have been there if the deceased had been a common or garden druggie? I doubt that many reasonable people would consider lugging a corpse around town an example of civilised behaviour.

As for the lady indulging herself in a spot of extreme protestation, I suggest that most were more focused on her boobs that the placard she was waving about. Certainly she will have caused more of a stir than the viragoes who mustered at Greenham Common.

Edited by Bagwan

<snip>

It seems that he denied himself any basic medical care that they do get.

His mother said her son used to complain of chest tightness so she advised him to tell the officials but he did not, Sorasit said.

Where do they have "weekly" medical inspections?

• Like 1

Dragging around a corpse does seem a little, I don't know, neanderthal perhaps. OTOH I'm sure he would have wanted to be there, even without the flames.

voodoo

I'd prefer the word uncivilized. Wonder what leader thida would say?

Nothing very intelligible!

There are 21 detainees, charged in relation to political incidents, at this prison. Stress is one of the prisoners' concerns.

Laksi prison? The place designated to house political prisoners? That truly awfull place? The place described begin of this year as

"

A total of 47 people being detained for alleged criminal offences relating to political activities have been moved to a temporary prison at Lak Si in Bang Khen.

The temporary prison was handed over to the Corrections Department on Monday after renovations were complete.

The 47 were moved from other prisons throughout the country. — 13 from Mukdahan, nine from Bangkok Remand Prison, nine from Maha Sarakham, five from Chiang Mai, five from Udon Thani, four from Ubon Ratchathani, and one each from Thonburi and Thanyaburi.

Thida Thavornseth, chair of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), led a number of red-shirts who gathered in a show of support.

The new temporary prison for political prisoners is guarded by 20 special branch police and Corrections Department officials around the clock.

The 47 did not include people detained for lese majeste offences in violation of Section 112 of the Criminal Code."

Horrible place, I'm sure all there rather be in one of the regular prisons. Some seem to have doubts though

"Asked if her brother, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, would return to face justice soon, Yingluck said the reconciliation atmosphere mostly depends on unity, equality, rule of law and fairness for all."

Laksi prison? The place designated to house political prisoners? That truly awfull place? The place described begin of this year as

"

A total of 47 people being detained for alleged criminal offences relating to political activities have been moved to a temporary prison at Lak Si in Bang Khen.

The temporary prison was handed over to the Corrections Department on Monday after renovations were complete.

The 47 were moved from other prisons throughout the country. — 13 from Mukdahan, nine from Bangkok Remand Prison, nine from Maha Sarakham, five from Chiang Mai, five from Udon Thani, four from Ubon Ratchathani, and one each from Thonburi and Thanyaburi.

Thida Thavornseth, chair of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), led a number of red-shirts who gathered in a show of support.

The new temporary prison for political prisoners is guarded by 20 special branch police and Corrections Department officials around the clock.

The 47 did not include people detained for lese majeste offences in violation of Section 112 of the Criminal Code."

Horrible place, I'm sure all there rather be in one of the regular prisons. Some seem to have doubts though

"Asked if her brother, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, would return to face justice soon, Yingluck said the reconciliation atmosphere mostly depends on unity, equality, rule of law and fairness for all."

Translated: Do more ducks fly South than in the winter?

• Like 1

The court decided not to take legal action because the protesters were the friends of an arsonist and who knows what might have popped into their heads as a nice place for a final send off bonfire.

I believe they have all been info0rmed of where the judges live.

How about this

"Department of Correction chief Suchart Wongananchai had told officers to monitor the health of detainees at the prison in Laksi and there was a weekly check-up, Sorasit said."

Even in prison they get special treatment. Red Shirts = double standards.

If I have a serious sickness I will put on a red shirt and go to jail where I can get special attention.

What is your take on the L.A. riots? Wasn't the twin towers tragedy an expression of discontent with US diplomacy and foreign policy? Were they are 'good thing' to be encouraged?

The notion that the exploited Red Rabble took to the streets on this occasion had little to do with the death of a prison inmate or the lack of health care facilities and procedures. Would they have been there if the deceased had been a common or garden druggie? I doubt that many reasonable people would consider lugging a corpse around town an example of civilised behaviour.

As for the lady indulging herself in a spot of extreme protestation I suggest that most were more focused on her boobs that the placard whe was waving about.

Include me in "the most" clap2.gif

It boggles the mind that GK can consider dragging a corpse around and using it as a prop for a ignorant demonstration is civilized.

And before any one says any thing Yes it is there right.

• Like 1

What is your take on the L.A. riots? Wasn't the twin towers tragedy an expression of discontent with US diplomacy and foreign policy? Were they are 'good thing' to be encouraged?

As for the lady indulging herself in a spot of extreme protestation I suggest that most were more focused on her boobs that the placard whe was waving about.

Include me in "the most" clap2.gif

It boggles the mind that GK can consider dragging a corpse around and using it as a prop for a ignorant demonstration is civilized.

I have to check, but I do believe that dragging the body of a deceased along even if no one is assaulted is illegal in the Netherlands.

• Like 1

Because this man died of a heart attack, prison inmates "Do not have access to to basic medical care" that is quite the assumption! As is your diagnosis.

It is my understanding that in the states they have medical care but not every week . How ever they still have a lot of deaths that occur. Why would any one expect Thailand to be better.

They should have gone the whole hog and quartered the body with four water buffalo, freedom of expression and all that.

For gawds sake Thailand , grow up, the rest of the world has a limited amount of patience.

21,24,23,22 million tourists next year, all chanting "Daddies taking us to the zoo tomorrow"

Pride, even earned, is still a bitch.

• Like 2

What is your take on the L.A. riots? Wasn't the twin towers tragedy an expression of discontent with US diplomacy and foreign policy? Were they are 'good thing' to be encouraged? Are you going to be selective and who do you think should deciding what is acceptable or not? Are you OK with the shutting down of Swampy?

As for the lady indulging herself in a spot of extreme protestation, I suggest that most were more focused on her boobs that the placard she was waving about. Certainly she will have caused more of a stir than the viragoes who mustered at Greenham Common.

Did she have a placard? Well there you go.