Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Staff Have To Pay

smokie36

I was in a well known Irish bar near the night market yesterday evening with some friends.

The girls ordered cocktails, yet they were not given what they had ordered ,but a frozen version, which is not the same thing.

They complained to the manager who agreed to change the drinks, but said that the money would have to come out of the staff wages to pay for them.

Nice bit of emotional blackmail I think or does this really happen?

PS. We had the drinks changed anyway. :P

• Like 1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what was irish about the irish bar...you cant even get a irish bar in dublin nowadays.

well known that a lot of these places that have hyped up prices dont pass the price on to the staff, on wages and benefits

.i bet they keep the tips as well that the staff make because of some souped up discrep.....anncy.We are all reasponsible for our actions and the well being of others

and yes i have run business before and employed people so i know before any owners come on whats involved on over heads etc on running a business

right got that off my chest

• Like 1

I'm guessing inside Anusarn market (that is the only Irish place that I know in the area), but have no idea if it was just a bluff.

There is a Western restaurant near Thapae Gate that does it, but the staff don't have to pay the full price. The list of the prices for mistakes is posted near the cashier..

Edited by Ulysses G.

well now everybody knows where it is i hope you are all going to boycott it and all ,until the staff get the respect that they deserve rather than being used as a source of cheap slavery<br /><br />if they had had proper training ,mistakes would be limited and a genuine mistake would have happened rather than some miscommunication of language.<br /><br />for the manager owner to even think to charge the staff for his lack of traing beggers believe<br />but there are wide boys everywhere ,so dont encourage them<br /><br />the staff can always find a job if need be and this fake irish bar closes<br /><br />just getting things of my chest before the bells<br /><br />but human decency needs to be encouraged and infact practised with every breath

This message was conveyed by the Thai manager to my Thai friends.

Even if they truly dock staff wages in such a disgraceful manner, they shouldn't be passing this on to their customers.

Even if they truly dock staff wages in such a disgraceful manner, they shouldn't be passing this on to their customers.

My reply to the manager would be "Aren't you going to sack them?"

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

well now everybody knows where it is i hope you are all going to boycott it and all ,until the staff get the respect that they deserve rather than being used as a source of cheap slavery

if they had had proper training ,mistakes would be limited and a genuine mistake would have happened rather than some miscommunication of language.

for the manager owner to even think to charge the staff for his lack of traing beggers believe

but there are wide boys everywhere ,so dont encourage them

the staff can always find a job if need be and this fake irish bar closes

just getting things of my chest before the bells

but human decency needs to be encouraged and infact practised with every breath

What training would a staff need to take a simple drink order ?

Maybe the owner got sick of the mistakes and brought in this rule in the hope that the staff would try to do their job the way it belongs.

I've lived long enough in Thailand to see that service staff is more interested in squeezing their pimples behind the bar than doing the job they're paid for.

Would you as a bar owner take all their mistakes on your bill, guess you should have to close the doors quite quickly.

• Like 2

No idea, but you should know as you were there. How was your drink, cocktail, beer? smile.png

My beer was fine. The other drinks were not what were ordered, although the manager at first claimed they were normally served in that way.

I wouldn't have been happy paying 170 Baht for what looked largely like a glass of ice.

No idea, but you should know as you were there. How was your drink, cocktail, beer? smile.png

My beer was fine. The other drinks were not what were ordered, although the manager at first claimed they were normally served in that way.

I wouldn't have been happy paying 170 Baht for what looked largely like a glass of ice.

I had my first Thai made cider at that place. I ordered a cider and got something with a cider label on back

Wish I could have my 100 baht (?) back on that one. tongue.png

• Like 2

This is the Chiang Mai forum. There's a clue there. blink.png

Hmm, Chiang Mai, night Market.

Is it the one on soi reggae?

No its not. Its the one near the Night Bazar, as per the info in the OP.

OK, irony does not work in the Chiang Mai Forum. sad.png

• Like 2

This is the Chiang Mai forum. There's a clue there. blink.png

Hmm, Chiang Mai, night Market.

Is it the one on soi reggae?

No its not. Its the one near the Night Bazar, as per the info in the OP.

OK, irony does not work in the Chiang Mai Forum. sad.png

It's opposite the beach in Patong PoorSucker

• Like 1

You should be happy that you didn't have to pay for the other drinks. tongue.png

Nice sentiments, poor English (spelling, grammar capitalisation, punctuation, and so on). Please do not offer to run and training course at said establishment, though you might get a job there. thumbsup.gif

English isn't the native language of every poster and if your post is any indication you should not offer any instruction in it either.

Very well said.

"Please do not offer to run and training course"

I think his English is a little off

• Like 2

You should be happy that you didn't have to pay for the other drinks. tongue.png

It was my round.....but that's not the point. :D

well now everybody knows where it is i hope you are all going to boycott it and all ,until the staff get the respect that they deserve rather than being used as a source of cheap slavery

if they had had proper training ,mistakes would be limited and a genuine mistake would have happened rather than some miscommunication of language.

for the manager owner to even think to charge the staff for his lack of traing beggers believe

Nice sentiments, poor English (spelling, grammar capitalisation, punctuation, and so on). Please do not offer to run and training course at said establishment, though you might get a job there. thumbsup.gif

cannae be bothered wi that punctuation spelling grammar ,communication is communication and obviously i got the message across as many has responded to my bad spelling etc rather than the manager taking the piss to staff and people who go there

for the love of god an irish pub as stated by the person who started this serving

cocktails either frozen or not then taken the money off the staff for overcharged water

happy new year in 45 mins ya bass

• Like 1

well now everybody knows where it is i hope you are all going to boycott it and all ,until the staff get the respect that they deserve rather than being used as a source of cheap slavery<br /><br />if they had had proper training ,mistakes would be limited and a genuine mistake would have happened rather than some miscommunication of language.<br /><br />for the manager owner to even think to charge the staff for his lack of traing beggers believe<br />but there are wide boys everywhere ,so dont encourage them<br /><br />the staff can always find a job if need be and this fake irish bar closes<br /><br />just getting things of my chest before the bells<br /><br />but human decency needs to be encouraged and infact practised with every breath

passing what on to the customers,cant you read like i cant spell .it was stated that they have the choice not to accept and be offered what they had ordered how is that being passed onto customers.

better talk to my mate fi gordonstoun education for spelling ,grammar and punctuation or i could off course train them in Thai seeing we are in Thailand

boycott it and all ,until the staff get the respect that they deserve rather than being used as a source of cheap slavery

If people did this, there wouldn't be very many places to go to.

still lots o places with decent staff managers and customers.but no trying to sell something that they dont have etc Irishness in this case

this is common practice in some European countries. If a staff make a mistake, they bear the burden of the loss to the establishment. it is deducted from their wages.

What loss to the establishment is there ,loss of a hyped up profit you mean for a genuine mistake.No loss at all even if you replaced the glass 10 times or more that is the mark up at least

dipping the till and stealing yes kick the fxxxxers as far as you can

an honest mistake on an order where the common language is not known and even if the staff speak English how many English speaking people speak English in the narrow way it is learnt

bottom line manager using and abusing the staff no matter how bad my spelling grammar is

comprendo

• Like 2

please do not offer to run and training course =proper grammar =are you sure,and thanks but no thanks i have no desire what so ever to work for someone else in such a establishment ,,,,,funny that it is named an establishment....such is the demise of the human expectation and ambition..... and decency......jackie stewart cannae spell or comunicte either on paper and hes the world champion or to be more exact an ex world champion and such a humble human being