Staff Have To Pay

smokie36

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well now everybody knows where it is i hope you are all going to boycott it and all ,until the staff get the respect that they deserve rather than being used as a source of cheap slavery

if they had had proper training ,mistakes would be limited and a genuine mistake would have happened rather than some miscommunication of language.

for the manager owner to even think to charge the staff for his lack of traing beggers believe

but there are wide boys everywhere ,so dont encourage them

the staff can always find a job if need be and this fake irish bar closes

just getting things of my chest before the bells

but human decency needs to be encouraged and infact practised with every breath

What training would a staff need to take a simple drink order ?

Maybe the owner got sick of the mistakes and brought in this rule in the hope that the staff would try to do their job the way it belongs.

I've lived long enough in Thailand to see that service staff is more interested in squeezing their pimples behind the bar than doing the job they're paid for.

Would you as a bar owner take all their mistakes on your bill, guess you should have to close the doors quite quickly.

Agree 100% training has nothing to do with it. You can train them up to 5 star service and it will not change them. Ask any business owner who has good Thai staff how hard it was to get them. Not only does he train them if it is needed but to get them to the point where they are dependable is another thing altogether.

It is not an easy chore. He could fire them then look for another one to take there place only to find out the new one is the same as the previous one.

well now everybody knows where it is i hope you are all going to boycott it and all ,until the staff get the respect that they deserve rather than being used as a source of cheap slavery

if they had had proper training ,mistakes would be limited and a genuine mistake would have happened rather than some miscommunication of language.

for the manager owner to even think to charge the staff for his lack of traing beggers believe

Nice sentiments, poor English (spelling, grammar capitalisation, punctuation, and so on). Please do not offer to run and training course at said establishment, though you might get a job there. thumbsup.gif

Yes English is not my first language though we were forced to learn it at school.a long time ago may i add

.As we are talking about an Irish Bar i would assume that it being authentic ,the staff were trained up to write their notes in Irish

We can safely assume that Irish spelling.grammar is different from English

The punctuation of Irish and English i dont know ,but again we can assume that the unknown expert fair treatement manager has trained his staff in all the ettiquestes(old spanish)and nuances of the Irish Languages as well as all the various nuances of the English speaking world.

I am sure that he goes over all the staffs notes each nigh,t if not hourly to see that the before mentioned spelling,grammar and punctuation is of the highest orde,r as well as the actual writing itself as there has been a dreadful decline in actual writing ability

I am also sure that the staff were desperate to explain this to the disgruntled clients of the elevated establishment,but were aware that time was of an essence and the clients taste buds just couldnt wait any longer, so rather than explaining that they were also docked pay for their bad speling ,grammar and punctuation,along with at least another 100 things ot more ,they let it go at a brief explanation of being docked for the cocktails only.

Does anyone know what Irish is for cocktail,even frozen cocktail as i am always open to expanding my knowledge,and you never know when i will frequent an Irish bar and order 1 or 3.

Tastes have been known to change as i get older and the clock of life runs down

.No need to stick to the same old pint o guiness please

.No waiting for the 5or is it 6 minute pouring of the black gold when i can get a frozen cocktail.

I might just ask for the waiters notes to see that i have had full value

Shocking use of English i know so i do apologise

Maybe the owner got sick of the mistakes and brought in this rule in the hope that the staff would try to do their job the way it belongs.

I've lived long enough in Thailand to see that service staff is more interested in squeezing their pimples behind the bar than doing the job they're paid for.

Would you as a bar owner take all their mistakes on your bill, guess you should have to close the doors quite quickly.

Agree 100% training has nothing to do with it. You can train them up to 5 star service and it will not change them. Ask any business owner who has good Thai staff how hard it was to get them. Not only does he train them if it is needed but to get them to the point where they are dependable is another thing altogether.

It is not an easy chore. He could fire them then look for another one to take there place only to find out the new one is the same as the previous one.

IF the boss is good the staff are good ,end of story.

He doesnt need to employ them after all ,and if he does it properly with a training period ,they will get the message quick enough. or he will ad not employ them

Like a lot of comments on here many people undervalue the THais in many things, so they are not stupid, undervalue them you get the level of performance that you deserve.

Now i am not saying it is right to play the game that the manager is playing ,but its just as easy for them to get a job somewhere else where they do feel valued first as a person and then as a valued member of staff.

Don't sweat it the bleather is on his way back and he in his unique way will take care of it.

That I will......just point me in the right direction!!! sleep.png

By the way Smokie.......who in their right mind would travel 6500 miles and go sit in a pretendy Irish pub?? get your act together or I won't let you travel to Thailand unattended again. annoyed.gif

Jeez-O, I'm telling you.......not only did he go into a Plastic Paddy pub he had the temerity to come on here and complain about it. Jeeez. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Don't sweat it the bleather is on his way back and he in his unique way will take care of it.

By the way Smokie.......who in their right mind would travel 6500 miles and go sit in a pretendy Irish pub?? get your act together or I won't let you travel to Thailand unattended again. annoyed.gif

Jeez-O, I'm telling you.......not only did he go into a Plastic Paddy pub he had the temerity to come on here and complain about it. Jeeez. coffee1.gif

We only ended up there cos the road to the river was jammed.

Traffic here is a nightmare.

Honest guv! :P

boycott it and all ,until the staff get the respect that they deserve rather than being used as a source of cheap slavery

If people did this, there wouldn't be very many places to go to.

But there would be places to go ,,a more limited choice granted,but a more honest choice with

A( respect for the workforce as a human being first

B(Respect for the customers giving value for money kowing the staff is being treated as stated above.

if it means a more outside social limitation,so be it you can always entertain people in the comfort of your home.

Brew your own alcoho

l.The Thais do and it not full of chemical crap and it gives you the hit if that is what is desired.

Also the Thais like to be noisy and get everyone involved in the drinking experience,

( bit like the Irish() ,make everyone feel at home.giving for a good atmosphere.

Why go to a plastic pub ,with fancy drinks ,when you can have a real authentic experience on every street corner and village

IF the boss is good the staff are good ,end of story.

He doesnt need to employ them after all ,and if he does it properly with a training period ,they will get the message quick enough. or he will ad not employ them

Like a lot of comments on here many people undervalue the THais in many things, so they are not stupid, undervalue them you get the level of performance that you deserve.

Now i am not saying it is right to play the game that the manager is playing ,but its just as easy for them to get a job somewhere else where they do feel valued first as a person and then as a valued member of staff.

It is clear that you have never done business in Thailand.

A good advise, keep it that way

Think that's true. I know this happens in hotels all the time. If a staffmember forgets something, or makes a mistake like not asking for a creditcard or something like that, if there is any loss in money the employee responsible has to pay that. Same for housekeeping. They always check the minibar. If housekeeping is lazy and tells the front desk the mini bar is still full, finding out later that some drinks are gone.. that housekeeper has to go to 7-eleven and buy new drinks of her own money.

Or, on the other hand, perhaps we should patronise the venue to give support to someone that is, against all odds, using behaviour modification techniques to ensure the quality of the service provided in his venue is better than the usual haphazard and contemptuous nonchalance one encounters so often, nowadays, in most tourist areas of Thailand.

The primary fault within the Thai work ethic is accountability. And, after years of dealing with this aggravating reality, my wellspring of altruism is bone dry.

Wrong had a very succesful business in Thailand,as well as other Asian countries and the UK,bad spelling and all.

Like previously mentioned value the person as you would value yourself and you will get the right staff.

it might take time but we are all human and that is the first factor when i employ people to see them as a human,,wheras lots of businees here as well as in Uk see and use people to exploit and to maximise their profits..

some of the biggest names on the high street are the worse offenders of this and unfortunately smaller busineses have copied their ways of doing business..

the wool doesnt get pulled over my head so often

.I am not living in some hippy utopian world,well to a point i am

,but do unto others as you would have them do.gets you further and more happy in life and possibly a cocktail in the way that you expected a cocktail.

Most people dont have a clue about 2 of the most basic commodities that a human needs and uses, and even more sad dont care

Food and clothing.

As long as they are cheap or the opposite expensive people dont care a hoot about the production and who produced it,and their lives.

Fast forward that into the catering service industry ,same Staff treated shabily by managers who dont care about them as they ae easily replaced

oh we are giving them a better lifestyle by employing them ,plucking them from the ravaged poverty stricken villages of Northern Thailand.

as we sip our cocktails being part of the new Thailand in the plastic bowl of another plastic Irish bar.

aye takes all sorts to make the world go around.

slavery has many guises,you dont need a ball and chain around your neck

slainteva

Wrong had a very succesful business in Thailand,as well as other Asian countries and the UK,bad spelling and all.

Like previously mentioned value the person as you would value yourself and you will get the right staff.

it might take time but we are all human and that is the first factor when i employ people to see them as a human,,wheras lots of businees here as well as in Uk see and use people to exploit and to maximise their profits..

some of the biggest names on the high street are the worse offenders of this and unfortunately smaller busineses have copied their ways of doing business..

the wool doesnt get pulled over my head so often

.I am not living in some hippy utopian world,well to a point i am

,but do unto others as you would have them do.gets you further and more happy in life and possibly a cocktail in the way that you expected a cocktail.

Most people dont have a clue about 2 of the most basic commodities that a human needs and uses, and even more sad dont care

Food and clothing.

As long as they are cheap or the opposite expensive people dont care a hoot about the production and who produced it,and their lives.

Fast forward that into the catering service industry ,same Staff treated shabily by managers who dont care about them as they ae easily replaced

oh we are giving them a better lifestyle by employing them ,plucking them from the ravaged poverty stricken villages of Northern Thailand.

as we sip our cocktails being part of the new Thailand in the plastic bowl of another plastic Irish bar.

aye takes all sorts to make the world go around.

slavery has many guises,you dont need a ball and chain around your neck

slainteva

Just a question. You sya you HAD a very successful business in Thailand, so obviously you don't have it anymore.

My I ask if your business experiences in Thailand were in the service sector , food and drink, and if possitive why you don't have it anymore if so successful.

So let the staff pay for them. Not your problem. Perhaps next time the staff will get the order right.

I remember several years ago I went into a bar on Pattaya second road with a girlfriend.

There were about 4-5 tables out of 20 ish occupied.The waittress came to us and asked what we wanted to drink, which was 1 Carlsberg and 1 Singha gold.

She walked to the barcounter and then returned with the question. Can you please say again because I forget what you ordered.laugh.pnglaugh.png

Mind you that she had only one order amd didn't talk with any other customer between taking our order and the barcounter.

J brain by your words you seem a suspicious character.I could be wrong as the written word is often misunderstood as opposed to a face to face conversation.

Pure and simply the main market was not in Thailand .I had no problem with Thai worker at all in the main

,They can produce International quality products as a price that keeps the producers,the suppliers ,the buyers and ultimately the customer happy.

i chose to wind to wind up my succesful business to retire in Japan.

We can have a conversation if you like on the highest service industry on the planet if you like and if you have had extended experience of living inJapan

,if not dont waste your and my time

,Even though choice i am a man of leaisure and havent worked and dont desire to work for many years .

Yes i have had experience in the food and drink industry,No not in Thailand.,but i will be in the future,with a hands on at ground level right up to on the floor.

Having worked in the drink and service industry in the land of the celtic dragon it was never known for any member of staff to be docked wages for a genuine order mistake NEVER

.Dipping the till and stealing was dealt with accordingly and could be ugly depending on the boss is another story.

Many reasons why businesses close,customers unhappy,staff un happy etc etc

.when i closed my business the staff wee un happy,though, i got them jobs in other establishments with equal values and the customers were unhappy,though i also informed them of various busineses in the area and afar that had the fair trade ethic and could genuinally source the products they were selling.not like a lot who have jumped on that bandwagon

So let the staff pay for them. Not your problem. Perhaps next time the staff will get the order right.

I remember several years ago I went into a bar on Pattaya second road with a girlfriend.

There were about 4-5 tables out of 20 ish occupied.The waittress came to us and asked what we wanted to drink, which was 1 Carlsberg and 1 Singha gold.

She walked to the barcounter and then returned with the question. Can you please say again because I forget what you ordered.laugh.pnglaugh.png

Mind you that she had only one order amd didn't talk with any other customer between taking our order and the barcounter.

hahah i remember walking into a TEA SHOP in India and asking for a cup of tea in the local language.

I was the ONLY ONE in the shop and itONLY SOLD CUPS OF TEA.

After about 15 minutes the guy again asked me what i wanted haha

Some are missing the point of my OP.

The conversation regarding replacing the drinks occurred between my gf and the Thai manageress in Thai.

The tactic in my opinion was emotional blackmail.

I told my gf to call the boss back over and have the drinks changed as I was unhappy with both the drinks served and the attitude of the manager.

My only question is whether bars employ this practice.

Can anyone give a clear answer?

• Like 2

J brain by your words you seem a suspicious character.I could be wrong as the written word is often misunderstood as opposed to a face to face conversation.

Pure and simply the main market was not in Thailand .I had no problem with Thai worker at all in the main

,They can produce International quality products as a price that keeps the producers,the suppliers ,the buyers and ultimately the customer happy.

i chose to wind to wind up my succesful business to retire in Japan.

We can have a conversation if you like on the highest service industry on the planet if you like and if you have had extended experience of living inJapan

,if not dont waste your and my time

,Even though choice i am a man of leaisure and havent worked and dont desire to work for many years .

Yes i have had experience in the food and drink industry,No not in Thailand.,but i will be in the future,with a hands on at ground level right up to on the floor.

Having worked in the drink and service industry in the land of the celtic dragon it was never known for any member of staff to be docked wages for a genuine order mistake NEVER

.Dipping the till and stealing was dealt with accordingly and could be ugly depending on the boss is another story.

Many reasons why businesses close,customers unhappy,staff un happy etc etc

.when i closed my business the staff wee un happy,though, i got them jobs in other establishments with equal values and the customers were unhappy,though i also informed them of various busineses in the area and afar that had the fair trade ethic and could genuinally source the products they were selling.not like a lot who have jumped on that bandwagon

Thanks for your lenghty though off topic reply.

The OP is about the quality of service in the food and drink sector IN THAILAND, which is terrible to say the least, and in which you according to your reply have no experience.

Do you really think that not every upstart business owner had the same intentions as you when you will start your future business in Thailand ?

It is only after you open the business that is is a fight against the wind , which is you can never win. Have a talk with owners of established food and drink business owners in Thailand before you start.

• Like 1

there is very little unemployment in chiang mai ask most bar owners they have a problem finding staff

so i dont believe for one second the bar would take it out of there pay for the simple reason they would walk out and start a new job the next day

makes you wounder sometimes the way that some staff treat the owners well western ones any way they do get away with murder

so id not feel to sorry for them as they would not for you

The conversation regarding replacing the drinks occurred between my gf and the Thai manageress in Thai.

I told my gf to call the boss back over and have the drinks changed as I was unhappy with both the drinks served and the attitude of the manager.

Yes many bars employ this practice because otherwise at the end of the day they would have worked for nothing. You understand that every wrong order has to be covered by someone, so if you have sveral staff who each take a few wrong orders a night, it quickly adds up for the owner.

Yes many bars employ this practice because otherwise at the end of the day they would have worked for nothing. You understand that every wrong order has to be covered by someone, so if you have sveral staff who each take a few wrong orders a night, it quickly adds up for the owner.

The manageress claimed it was normal practice to serve the cocktail frozen.

We have ordered the same many other times without a problem, therefore I found the situation unacceptable.

What do you say to the manageress explaining that if we changed the drinks then the staff wages would suffer as a result?

• Like 1

I think the common practice in many restaurants of writing down the order would solve this to common problem here. Of course when an establishment realizes the worth of investing in infrastructure and instals a POS (point of sale) system where the orders are imputed in an electronic device which not only sends the orders to their respective places but as well totals bills and keeps track of what is sold and inventory, understandably this is still not realistic for most places here but as a substantial number of my orders and bills are incorrect there definatley a need for improvement for a basic standard of service.

• Like 1

there is very little unemployment in chiang mai ask most bar owners they have a problem finding staff

so i dont believe for one second the bar would take it out of there pay for the simple reason they would walk out and start a new job the next day

makes you wounder sometimes the way that some staff treat the owners well western ones any way they do get away with murder

so id not feel to sorry for them as they would not for you

I tend to agree. However opinion is what I wanted.

Thanks for your reply. ;)

jp what makes you think i have no experience of the food and drink industry in Thailand

.Dont i sometimes frequent business in thailand or do you think i have an exclusive hermit lifestyle.

I can and do use my eyes and ears o see what is happening

if you look at the question posed it was the Attitude of the manager as well as the poor service.

Poor attitude of mamager equates to poor service in ALL business.

if you think and believe business is frustating in Thailand try doing it in India

.I,m well aware of the pitfalls of business in Thailand as well as India Nepal,China Japan ,uk

Terrible management is not exclusive to Thailand as well as poorly motivated staff.

In answer to the question posed ,reading between the lines it is a fairly common practise in CM and is encouaged by both management and the customers based on the answeers given here

in my business No member of staff would be put in the position to be frightened to make a human mistake

.Quality of service would be provided up to Japanese standards where i have had over 15 years experience,

Also knowing that the local Thai are very different to Japanese but they would get the training

Actually having observed the Thai members i have i mind to employ over a extended period of 2 years and seeing the human being that they are i expect little or no issues

We only ended up there cos the road to the river was jammed.

Traffic here is a nightmare.

Honest guv! tongue.png

Here is why the traffic is a nightmare up here.

"The Transport Ministry is warning Bangkok residents to brace for what could be five years of extraordinary traffic congestion. Traffic at the Silom-Rama IV Road intersection is flowing well, particularly now with so many motorists having left Bangkok to celebrate New Year in the provinces."

Bangkokians go home.welcomeani.gifNOT