Dual Pricing

durhamboy

Yawn; how many threads have we had in the past year about dual pricing? How much have those threads changed anything? TIT; live with it or don't go anywhere because the Thai's are not going to change anything that they consider to be normal behaviour....period.

In that case we would be as well shutting down Thai Visa as most of the threads are repeats of one sort or another. Next time I start a new thread, please be assured that I will think of your inane comments before I do so.

• Like 1

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, it depends on your situation. When I lived close to Disneyland, they'd have discounts for "local residents", seems perfectly reasonable to me, and hardly "racist". If you are working here, paying taxes on a Thai salary, show a work permit and still don't give you the same price, I think you may have a legit gripe. Since that probably isn't the case (nothing personal, just "odds are"), I don't think you have a legit gripe.

Exactly, good post. I, as a tax payer should get some benefits over tourists or even retirees.

I hope one day you come to my country. I'll happily charge you double then double again for good measure.

• Like 1

In my opinion, it depends on your situation. When I lived close to Disneyland, they'd have discounts for "local residents", seems perfectly reasonable to me, and hardly "racist". If you are working here, paying taxes on a Thai salary, show a work permit and still don't give you the same price, I think you may have a legit gripe. Since that probably isn't the case (nothing personal, just "odds are"), I don't think you have a legit gripe.

Local residents. Not all Californians. Not all Americans. Not all people with appearance of a certain race. Not the same thing at all.

when i lived in Florida all FL residents got a huge "discount". all others, Americans, Europeans, Asians, Polynesians and Aliens from the Delta Quadrant paid three to four times the entry fees for Disneyland, MGM studios, Seaworld, etc., etc., etc.

The Thais have a right to practice racism, double/triple/etc. standards, and hypocrisy as much as any other group of people. If anything, the Thai brand of discrimination should be praised because despite being very widespread, the targets of such discrimination often STILL prefer living here and are very happy.

smile.png

Agreed, I also think many blacks had it better under jim crowe laws in the US back in the day, sure they had less rights, but they knew their place. If they didnt like it they could just leave, like the people who left and started the country Liberia. USA is a majority WHITE country and therefore have the right to practice racism.

If you disagree with this sentiment, I think you are a hipocrite judging from what you wrote. I certainly don't agree with it.

As has been said by many; the price paid is based upon residency, NOT race or even nationality.

So how can anyone call it racist?

As has also been said, many other countries operate similar pricing structures, including Western countries. Do those who call the Thais racist call these countries racist too?

You may disagree with the policy and feel that a tourist should pay the same as a resident; but racist it isn't.

I went to that Pattaya Floating Market this morning, the first time since three or four years ago, when it was quite a small affair. I was amazed to see how much it has expanded, and pleasantly surprised that there is no charge for admission or for parking. It's a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours wandering round and the prices at the many foodstalls don't seem exorbitant.

Entering from the carpark we passed through turnstiles but they were unmanned and no-one asked us for any money. It was only on the way out that I noticed a counter set back from the turnstiles above which was a sign in Thai and English, which said "Show Work Permit or Thai Driving Licence." Upon enquiry it was explained that production of those documents could get you the lower price on the attractions for which a charge is made. So that's their declared policy, and it shouldn't really come as a great surprise to anybody, or give much cause for the indignation expressed by the OP.

My copy of the "Rough Guide to Thailand" published in 1998 includes this passage:- "...making a tidy sum off foreigners is sometimes official practice; at government-run museums and historical parks, for example, foreigners often pay a B40 admission charge while Thais get in for B10. A number of privately-owned tourist attractions follow a similar two-tier system, posting an inflated price in English for foreigners and a lower price in Thai for locals. This is perfectly legitimate."

So the info is there for those who take the trouble to seek it, and if you don't like it, don't go. Personally, I'm very grateful that the Thais are sufficiently welcoming to those of us who live here to accept a Thai Driving Licence as proof that in such situations we're "one of them".

Edited by Eff1n2ret

I don't even live in Thailand but have got in to some places with the Thai price simply by speaking Thai!

Still, Tommo et al, don't let the facts get in the way of your prejudice.

But doesn't ignoring the facts in favour of your prejudice make you racist?

Foreigners can't own land in Thailand

Foreigners can't own more than 49% of the units in any given condo in Thailand.

Foreigners can't work in many job functions in Thailand.

Foreigners can't own a controlling interest in a Thai business (with rare exceptions).

Foreigners from some countries have to pay taxes on a higher minimum salary than foreigners from other countries to keep working in Thailand.

But charging foreigners $3 extra for a ride is somehow noteworthy?

Thais have their own reasons for each of these forms of discrimination. I don't understand some of them, but hey, I'm a guest and gladly pay. More often than not, it's still a great deal in the scheme of things.

And I'd rather be a western foreigner "suffering" through the dual pricing in Thailand than an average Thai national even trying to get into most western countries.

• Like 1

Being a citizen carries benefits (and responsibilities) that differ from those of visitors in every country in the world. Big deal. Get over it, or become a citizen (like I did).

Hmmm. Is one of the benefits of Thai citizenship the power to order non-citizens to get over/not talk about/not criticize the things that are the NEGATIVE parts of the being in Thailand for non-citizens experience? coffee1.gif Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Yeah. Get over yourself.

I don't know who you are that you think you have the authority to demand people you have no relationship with how to feel. Cheers.

On the double pricing issue, I think there are sometimes justifications for it, and sometimes it seems to be applied based on superficial racial appearance, etc. (For example the same apartment a foreigner calls it's double the price for a local. That should be illegal.) Obviously, the latter is despicable; the former you'd have to look at them case by case to make any kind of objective informed judgment.

Edited by Jingthing

Yeah. Get over yourself.

I don't know who you are that you think you have the authority to demand people you have no relationship with how to feel. Cheers.

I can hear the hands flapping from 300km away.

Would you stop hyperventilating if I downgrade from a demand to a strong suggestion?

• Like 1

Yeah. Get over yourself.

Would you stop hyperventilating if I downgrade from a demand to a strong suggestion?

I wonder if there is a criteria for becoming a Thai that you have to now despise hold with contempt all things farang.

• Like 1

Whatever the rights and wrongs of dual pricing, as this post shows if an operator is persuaded to abandon it then it is the resident price that goes up!

Does anyone know of a case where the tourist price has gone down?

What's funny, is that all the knuckleheads that were squeaking will be happy that everyone has to pay more.

Somchaismith, I don't really wish to correct your reading of your own post; but

Consequently, they decided to set one standard price as shown:

• Children ( not higher than 120 Centimeters) 150 Thai baht

• Adult 250 Thai baht

• Senior citizen (over 60 years old) 125 Baht

To compensate for all of ASIATIQUE fans, they offer the special price as:

• Adult 200 Thai baht

• Senior citizen (over 60 years old) 100 Baht

• This special price will be effect from today until 28 Feb 2013

Yeah. Get over yourself.

I wonder if there is a criteria for becoming a Thai that you have to now despise hold with contempt all things farang.

For many issues... You hit the nail on the head.

• Like 1

Somchaismith, I don't really wish to correct your reading of your own post; but

Consequently, they decided to set one standard price as shown:

• Adult 250 Thai baht

• Senior citizen (over 60 years old) 125 Baht

To compensate for all of ASIATIQUE fans, they offer the special price as:

• Adult 200 Thai baht

• Senior citizen (over 60 years old) 100 Baht

• This special price will be effect from today until 28 Feb 2013

The price was changed twice the second change is now the current price.

Yeah. Get over yourself.

On the double pricing issue, I think there are sometimes justifications for it, and sometimes it seems to be applied based on superficial racial appearance, etc. (For example the same apartment a foreigner calls it's double the price for a local. That should be illegal.) Obviously, the latter is despicable; the former you'd have to look at them case by case to make any kind of objective informed judgment.

It is applied on superficial appearance due to their experience that most Europeans can't be bothered to learn the language, get a driver's license, yet seem to think they are equal to those who do. It is not a racial thing.

Acceptance is the key to happiness here and in fact wherever you are. I suggest you get over your feelings of superiority and self-importance and learn the language, sit a driving test or become a citizen - if you can't do these for whatever reason, accept it and get over it.

Edited by Neeranam

Current, yes; but only until 28 Feb; from 1 March the price will be the old tourist price.

Lol, the wheel won't be there after the March 1, It's not permanent, according to Bangkok's No 1 travel writer Richard Barrow,

"Richard Barrow

December 24, 2012 at 4:51 pm

The price is 200 Baht until end of February for everyone. I cannot see them increasing it. Anyway, it isn’t a permanent big wheel. Anyone who wants to go and ride the wheel should go over the new year."

http://www.richardba...n-social-media/

Edited by somchaismith

Well, the information you posted from the landowners and operators suggests differently. Who do we believe? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

But that does not change my original point.

Has any one ever heard of an operator permanently reducing the tourist price down to the resident price?

Yeah. Get over yourself.

And you reached the conclusion that I "hate all things farang"...how, exactly? I am a farang, Einstein.