O-A Visa Questions

For some the medical report could be a very expensive document to obtain.

Also in some locations it can be quite time consuming to get the police report.

In my case, the doctor had the medical certificate done by his staff at no charge, and the local Sheriff's Dept. took one day, and charged $10 for their letter.

Also, in my case, I mailed everything to the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles. After one week, I checked on it, and they said everything was fine, how soon do you need it? I again reminded them on my flight date, and they said no problem. It arrived two days later. Also at this embassy, if you take the paperwork to them in person, you can pick up your visa the next business day. They were very helpful.

Edited by stoli

A 30 day stamp is not a visa. The problem is getting BOARDED in Australia without a visa, NOT arriving in Thailand without a visa.

So are saying if I enter Thailand on a 30 holiday Visa I still have to first get a O or OA visa before I can get a retirement Visa ?

A 30 day stamp is not a visa. The problem is getting BOARDED in Australia without a visa, NOT arriving in Thailand without a visa.

So are saying if I enter Thailand on a 30 holiday Visa I still have to first get a O or OA visa before I can get a retirement Visa ?

Different issues. If you enter Thailand on a 30 day stamp (not a visa) or a Tourist Visa OF COURSE you need an O visa to apply for an annual extension based on retirement in Thailand. O-A visas are only available from your home country. O visas ARE available in Thailand as part of the "two step process" (not a term immigration uses, but it has been adopted here) at Thai immigration offices in Thailand. The second step is the annual retirement extension application. You MUST prove you are eligible for the second step to be eligible for the first step (O visa). Not ALL Thai immigration offices offer the O visa step, but if your local one doesn't, the first step can be done in Bangkok.

A term Thai immigration offices might use for the first step in Change of Visa Status application. Again, that is when you change a 30 day stamp or tourist visa to a single O visa in Thailand for the SPECIFIC purpose of later applying for an annual retirement extension in Thailand.

Neither the O visa or the annual extensions are retirement visas. Only O-A visas are retirement visas (but now widely called long stay visas) and you never need one to retire in Thailand; only an option.

Edited by Jingthing

Different issues. If you enter Thailand on a 30 day stamp (not a visa) or a Tourist Visa OF COURSE you need an O visa to apply for an annual extension based on retirement in Thailand. O-A visas are only available from your home country. O visas ARE available in Thailand as part of the "two step process" (not a term immigration uses, but it has been adopted here) at Thai immigration offices in Thailand. The second step is the annual retirement extension application. You MUST prove you are eligible for the second step to be eligible for the first step (O visa). Not ALL Thai immigration offices offer the O visa step, but if your local one doesn't, the first step can be done in Bangkok.

A term Thai immigration offices might use for the first step in Change of Visa Status application. Again, that is when you change a 30 day stamp or tourist visa to a single O visa in Thailand for the SPECIFIC purpose of later applying for an annual retirement extension in Thailand.

Neither the O visa or the annual extensions are retirement visas. Only O-A visas are retirement visas (but now widely called long stay visas) and you never need one to retire in Thailand; only an option.

Thanks Jingthing

1. So would it be best to apply for a single entry Non Immigration Visa In Aus then

2. Apply for a Retirement Visa in Thailand and if so do you you know the cost ?

A Single Entry Non Imm O Visa will cost the equivalent of 2,000 Baht

The 12 Month Extension application at Immigration will cost 1,900 Baht.

Thanks Lite Beer

In regard to my questions:

1. item 1 I know is AUD$90 which gives me an O Visa/Non immiogrant Visa correct then

2. The 12 month ext is the retirement Visa Correct ? for 1,900bht

Thanks Lite Beer

1. item 1 I know is AUD$90 which gives me an O Visa/Non immiogrant Visa correct then

12 Month Extension for the reason of retirement. It is not a Visa. 1,900 Baht

You get Visas at Consulates. You get Extensions at Immigration.

Lite Beer

So back to my original question

step 1 Get a Non Immigration Visa A$90 in Aus

2. Apply for a retirement Visa In Thailand which costs ?

1. Get a Non Imm o Visa in Australia. $90.

2. As said already you apply for a 12 Month Extension for Retirement in Thailand. 1,900 Baht

Lite Beer

So back to my original question

step 1 Get a Non Immigration Visa A$90 in Aus

2. Apply for a retirement Visa In Thailand which costs ?

1900 baht for the annual retirement extension. You don't apply for a retirement visa in Thailand. The extension is what you will want and need.
  • Like 1

Thanks Lite Beer

Some nice Thai Visa member shared this informaton on the board sometime back and I copied it and save it in a word document. I hope the authors do not mind me sharing but it helped me a little understanding the process. Here it is quote:

Explanation of Thai Visa (Retirement O-A) Non-Immigrant

Very clearly stated bushwacker , I saved your comments for the future.

You might want to add a few corrections....

He said:

For those that get lost in detail, maybe this might help:

1. Your visa was issued in Washington to enter Thailand. It was good for one year. If you did not enter Thailand in one year then the visa is expired. If you did enter Thailand then the visa becomes used (canceled). Think of it like a ticket to get into a football game. You are now in, the visa has fulfilled its purpose.

You already stated you had a multi-entry Non Imm O-A visa, but if you hadn't, the fact that it was good for one-year would have shown it to be a multi-entry. Had it been a single entry visa, yes, it would be good for only one entry, and you would get a "used" stamp upon entry. But its validity period would only have been for 3-months, not one year.

Upon entering, the Immigration gives you a new stamp and date which expires 1 year from the date of entry. 30 DAYS before the one year is up you may go to immigration and request an extension of stay.

Had this been a single entry Non Imm O-A visa, yes. However, as has been said many times on this forum, with a multi-entry O-A visa you do a border run right before the expiration date of the visa (not the expiration date of the current permission of stay authorization), then get stamped back in with a new one-year permission of stay. Again, only single entry visas are stamped "used" -- multi-entry visas are exactly as they say, and are good for as many entries as you can manage during the one-year validity period.

The practical results are: With a multiple-entry Non Imm O-A visa, you won't have to visit Immigration for nearly two years after visa issue -- unless you do 90-day reporting in person, and/or you wish to travel during your last one-year permission of stay period -- which would require a re-entry stamp from Immigration. But, finally, after nearly two years, and during the last 30 days of the latest permission of stay -- you need to visit Immigration for your first retirement extension -- using the exact same criteria as if you were on the last 30 days of a 90-day permission stamp from a Non Imm O visa (compared to the last 30 days of your 365-day permission stamp).

Think of it like a ticket to get into a football game. You are now in, the visa has fulfilled its purpose

To expand on Bushwacker....think of it as a season ticket. Plus, with a bonus second season -- as long as you don't leave the country during that second season without a re-entry permit.

Edited by BobTH

Thanks Lite Beer

Some nice Thai Visa member shared this informaton on the board sometime back and I copied it and save it in a word document. I hope the authors do not mind me sharing but it helped me a little understanding the process. Here it is quote:

Explanation of Thai Visa (Retirement O-A) Non-Immigrant

Very clearly stated bushwacker , I saved your comments for the future.

You might want to add a few corrections....

He said:

For those that get lost in detail, maybe this might help:

1. Your visa was issued in Washington to enter Thailand. It was good for one year. If you did not enter Thailand in one year then the visa is expired. If you did enter Thailand then the visa becomes used (canceled). Think of it like a ticket to get into a football game. You are now in, the visa has fulfilled its purpose.

You already stated you had a multi-entry Non Imm O-A visa, but if you hadn't, the fact that it was good for one-year would have shown it to be a multi-entry. Had it been a single entry visa, yes, it would be good for only one entry, and you would get a "used" stamp upon entry. But its validity period would only have been for 3-months, not one year.

Upon entering, the Immigration gives you a new stamp and date which expires 1 year from the date of entry. 30 DAYS before the one year is up you may go to immigration and request an extension of stay.

Had this been a single entry Non Imm O-A visa, yes. However, as has been said many times on this forum, with a multi-entry O-A visa you do a border run right before the expiration date of the visa (not the expiration date of the current permission of stay authorization), then get stamped back in with a new one-year permission of stay. Again, only single entry visas are stamped "used" -- multi-entry visas are exactly as they say, and are good for as many entries as you can manage during the one-year validity period.

The practical results are: With a multiple-entry Non Imm O-A visa, you won't have to visit Immigration for nearly two years after visa issue -- unless you do 90-day reporting in person, and/or you wish to travel during your last one-year permission of stay period -- which would require a re-entry stamp from Immigration. But, finally, after nearly two years, and during the last 30 days of the latest permission of stay -- you need to visit Immigration for your first retirement extension -- using the exact same criteria as if you were on the last 30 days of a 90-day permission stamp from a Non Imm O visa (compared to the last 30 days of your 365-day permission stamp).

Think of it like a ticket to get into a football game. You are now in, the visa has fulfilled its purpose

To expand on Bushwacker....think of it as a season ticket. Plus, with a bonus second season -- as long as you don't leave the country during that second season without a re-entry permit.

Thanks BUT the process in the US is not the same as AUS

What do you mean?

What is different?

From either country you have the CHOICE to apply for a single entry O visa (then apply for annual extensions based on retirement in Thailand) OR you can choose to apply for an O-A visa and take advantage of the features of that visa instead (but later, can be as long as about two years if you play it right, you'll need to apply for annual extensions as well in Thailand).

A third choice is to enter Thailand on a 30 day stamp or tourist visa and do the "two step process" described earlier. From either the US or Australia. But as said before, there will be trouble boarding the airplane with no visa unless you have an air ticket leaving Thailand within 30 days to show.

Edited by Jingthing

The process is the same - but what you are talking about is obtaining a retirement extension of stay inside Thailand which is not a long stay (retirement) O-A visa. To obtain that extension of stay you must have a non immigrant visa entry but it does not have to be an O-A visa. So if you get a single entry non immigrant O visa to enter Thailand you then go to immigration 60+ days later with 1,900 baht and TM.7 to extend your stay for retirement. You will need to have financials in Thailand at that time and meet the time in account if using bank deposit method.

NO you still don't understand.

This post describes an O-A visa. Its use and conditions are the same whether you get in Australia or the US.

What you are going to do is not connected with an O-A retirement visa in any way, so this post is not relevant to you.

You should stop calling what you intend to do "getting a retirement visa" and try to understand .

You are :

1. getting an O visa

2, applying for an extension of this visa on the grounds of retirement.

These are two different things. What allows you to stay yearly is the EXTENSION. The extension is not an O-A visa and your original visa is not turned into an O-A.

• Like 1

The process is the same - but what you are talking about is obtaining a retirement extension of stay inside Thailand which is not a long stay (retirement) O-A visa. To obtain that extension of stay you must have a non immigrant visa entry but it does not have to be an O-A visa. So if you get a single entry non immigrant O visa to enter Thailand you then go to immigration 60+ days later with 1,900 baht and TM.7 to extend your stay for retirement. You will need to have financials in Thailand at that time and meet the time in account if using bank deposit method.

Thanks Lopburi3

Got it, great smile.png

In the end O-A visa only requires two more pieces of paper work than the extension of stay. A doctors visit and a vist to the local poliice department for most people not that hard to do and eliminates dealing with immigration for 2 years except for 90 day reports

I think Ubonjoe did his concise posting #16 to forestall me re-telling the tale of woe Hubby and I had in getting medical reports and police record check in the U.S. He summarized it very nicely. That doesn't mean someone shouldn't try, but after hitting the third or fourth brick wall (at a busy time when we were trying to unwind our business and sell off our assets) it would have been nice to know we could have simply entered the Kingdom visa exempt and then applied for O visas in Chiang Mai. So much stress for no reason.

If memory serves your tale of woe was primarily due to the fact that you and Hubby applied at the Thai Chicago Consulate, one of the only two consulates in the US that require notarization of the medical and police report (the other being Los Angeles)

I received an O-A visa at the Los Angeles Cosulate in April 2012. Though I did get some documents notarized, I can't remember which ones, I know I did not get either the police report or the medical certificate notarized.

I received an O-A visa at the Los Angeles Cosulate in April 2012. Though I did get some documents notarized, I can't remember which ones, I know I did not get either the police report or the medical certificate notarized.

If you didn't get the police of medical notarized you got lucky, since here is what they state on their web site:

Required documents (*** One original set and 3 sets of copies. Requested documentation 5–7 must be notarized.***)

1. Four visa application forms |Download|

2. Four passport-type photos (Passport-type photo, 2” x 2”, color, front-view, taken within 6 months, and write your name and last name on the back of each photo).

3. Four copies of the applicant's passport (the picture page) - include the actual passport when submitting the application. Passport must be valid for at least 18 more months.

4. Four copies of Personal Data Form. |Download|

*5. Four copies of:

- applicant's bank statement (U.S.) showing a balance in the amount of not less than 800,000 Baht (current Thai exchange rate is available from the Bank of Thailandweb site)

- or an income certificate with a monthly salary of not less than 65,000 Baht

- or a combination of a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht a year.

(When submitting the bank statement, a letter from the bank verifying the account and balance is to be presented)

*6. Four copies of police verification stating the applicant has no criminal record issued by the authority concerned of his/her nationality or residence. The verification must not be more than three months old.

*7. Four copies of the completed medical certificate form |Download| issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) with the name and address of the doctor. The certificate must be not be older than 3 months.

8. The visa fee for Non-Immigrant O-A Long-Stay (Retirement) visa is $200 - NO single-entry Non-Immigrant O-A Visas

- payable by cashiers check or money order only made payable to "Royal Thai Consulate General - Los Angeles"

Source: http://www.thaiconsu...aspx?link_id=34

In the U.S., it's no big deal to get a document notarized. Most branch banks have someone who will do it for free for their customers. Many copy shops also offer the service for a modest fee, like $5. In our little town, the drug store owner did it, too (also sent and received faxes). Every place I ever worked with more than 30 people always had someone in the office who was a notary.

The problem is many people believe the police/doctor signature requires this notarization making it impossible. The normal requirement for Thailand is that the applicant sign copies of all paperwork submitted and that would the be the signature that a notarization should concern is my understanding.

Of course, everything is subject to change. That being said; In 2011, I sent my Non-Immigrant O-A (Long Stay) visa application to the main Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C. They did not require anything to be notarized. Their website still does not have a requirement to have any documents notarized. It may just be someone at the local consulate deciding to add on a requirement or two. You can always send the application to the main Thai Embassy. Here is the Royal Thai Embassy's (in D.C.) web page for Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay).

I am a UK 51 year old man living in Bangkok on O visa but want to change to O-A retirement visa. My current visa runs out of 8th Feb 2013 and I have been told that all I need to do is go to the BKK visa office and fill out the application for and prove my bank account statement over 18K GBP. Is this correct or what other forms do I have to produce. In the UK they wanted medical but I am told I do not need that here.

I am a UK 51 year old man living in Bangkok on O visa but want to change to O-A retirement visa. My current visa runs out of 8th Feb 2013 and I have been told that all I need to do is go to the BKK visa office and fill out the application for and prove my bank account statement over 18K GBP. Is this correct or what other forms do I have to produce. In the UK they wanted medical but I am told I do not need that here.

You will not be getting a OA visa it will an extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration (not a visa office). Map and info: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/location1.html

No medical needed.

You will need to complete a TM7 application for extension of stay. With photo attached.

Download: Extension of Temporary Stay in The Kingdom Application Form (TM. 7) Print two sided not 2 pages.

Bank letter will need to done the day before at the latest plus copies of bank book showing 800K baht in a Thai bank for 60 days (first application 90 days for next).

Or an income letter from UK embassy proving 65K baht monthly income. You can show having money in UK bank to get this letter.

You also need copies of passport photo page, visa, entry/permit to stay stamps and TM6 departure card also. Also you will need proof of address when you apply.

Edited by ubonjoe

You can not obtain a non immigrant O-A visa in Thailand. During the last 30 days of your non immigrant O visa entry you visit immigration for your province and provide proof of 800k in baht in a Thai bank deposit account in your name for the last 2 months (passbook and bank letter) or proof of 65k per month income from your Embassy or a combination.