Son And Further Education What A Laugh

lovelomsak

Think long term my friend. Don't give up just yet.

There are a number of excellent Rajabut Universities across Thailand which have excellent hotel and tourist courses (usually bachelor dergree level but maybe also certificate level), some even have small working / training hotels on campus (open to the public, very reasonable rates, farang very welcome - but the downside is that these hotels are not advertised very well).

The graduates from these programs are highly sort after, and they generally have a good track record in English language conversation capabilities.

From my understanding the tuition costs are fairly low.

Perhaps one of these unis is close enough to wherever you are.

In terms of the English, check his text books / work books every evening and turn it into a fun activity as much as possible to give him lots of practice* at home, give him time to respond, don't be impatient, don't push him past whatever his current lessons are, but do continously go back to yesterdays lessson focus etc. Get your wife into the fun also if she can speak English (perhaps this could even have some value for her English capabilities?).

Give it a shot - good luck !

*I believe this is one of the main keys to actual language development. My granddaughter (now 8 yrs old) goes to a private school in a full English stream, all subjects are taught by excellent farang teachers except Thai langauge (obviously taught by a Thai person). There is deliberately a lot pushing to gets the kids to speak English in the class room.

Here's the real point. Ninety nine percent of the kids in this class come from Thai families where:

- Both parents cannot speak any English but can read English but don't understand most of the words..

- Both parents cannot read or speak English past 'good morning' etc.

Real conversation ability is not happening with these kids because their is no immersion, and no practice and no reinforcement.

Most of these kids never do their homework (English, Science, etc) because the parents can't get specific to help the kids.

My granddaughter and about 3 other kids in her class have a foreign English speaking father or mother or grandparent at home. Their english development is excellent and pretty much equivalent to kids their own age living in a western house in a western country.

The immersion and therefore the continuous practice and reinforcement at home is clearly the key to success.

I am sorry although immersion may assist it is not the only solution. How many Europeans are fluent or nearly fluent in 2nd or 3rd languages that they learnt at school, that their parents had no understanding of? Quality of education and attitude of pupils is what matters .

Edited by RabC

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"My question is doe anyone else have issues such as this arise in their home life?"

That was the question in the OP. Good to know, that the "holier than though"- party is out again, telling

what he shouldn't have done and that all Thai- women with children are just scum, best to be avoided!

That really helps a lot, I assume!

Doc I paid big money for two children I found out much later were not mine. I think it is far more common than most men realize.

I also had two children I had no wish to have because of birth control pill scams. She said she was on them and she was not.

It seems rather odd to me that a man would get into a relationship with a woman with children. But that's just me and I have not had a good experience with children and marriage. I would not advise anyone else just tell my story and let them make up their own minds.

• Like 2

"My question is doe anyone else have issues such as this arise in their home life?"

That was the question in the OP. Good to know, that the "holier than though"- party is out again, telling

what he shouldn't have done and that all Thai- women with children are just scum, best to be avoided!

Doc I paid big money for two children I found out much later were not mine. I think it is far more common than most men realize.

I also had two children I had no wish to have because of birth control pill scams. She said she was on them and she was not.

It seems rather odd to me that a man would get into a relationship with a woman with children. But that's just me and I have not had a good experience with children and marriage. I would not advise anyone else just tell my story and let them make up their own minds.

I might be a prude................lol.

But i dont see the appeal into marrying into a dysfunctional thai familee!

Mother really think kid is doctor material?

this has got to be best wind up thread ever!

My mother wanted me to be a Priest.smile.png

• Like 1

Was talking to my wife about this situatiom last night and she agrees with most of the other posters, a good option would be to send the kid to military service to straighten him out.

Was thinking what my Dad did that made me turn out just fine and one thing comes to mind, 'tough love'. While other kids always had their parents give in to all their whims, mine didn't. While they were out galivanting during the weekends I was covered in grease helping my grandpa fix trucks in his shop. Whenever I wanted new basketball sneakers I had to work and save for it. While my parents paid for my Engineering education, I still remember my father setting me aside one day, and say,'Son, if you eff this up you're on your own. Don't expect me to always give you another go.' Years ago I hated my father for treating me that way. But when left home and started out on my own I came to realize what he did was for my own good.

The kid has probably been used to getting his way all his life.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

We had trouble with our son, nothing bad just a lazy kid, selfish at times, gamer who just played games with his friends. Tried setting him up in some small endeavors that required work, that he didn't put in. Draft time came and his buddy got drafted and he didn't, surprise he joined anyway. It hasn't been bad. At this time when not helping to train the inductees, he is on border patrol. When not in the mountains he is at the Air Force Base at the Chiang Mai Airport which has an Army Training Center. The CO likes him and he takes care of whatever Company computer problems have developed in his absence. I don't know what his plans are, he hasn't said. Our grandson misses his dad (married and divorced by 18) but he does get by for a few days every month or two and contributes a surprising amount of his pay for his sons use. All in all I'm really happy with his military experience. I'd hope he would make it a career. But if he doesn't I think he'll be a better person for having served.

Edited by mogoso
  • Like 2

Think long term my friend. Don't give up just yet.

There are a number of excellent Rajabut Universities across Thailand which have excellent hotel and tourist courses (usually bachelor dergree level but maybe also certificate level), some even have small working / training hotels on campus (open to the public, very reasonable rates, farang very welcome - but the downside is that these hotels are not advertised very well).

The graduates from these programs are highly sort after, and these courses generally have a good track record in real English language conversation development.

From my understanding the tuition costs are fairly low. And Rajabut institutes are not all that difficult to enter.

Perhaps one of these unis is close enough to wherever you are.

In terms of the English, check his text books / work books every evening and turn it into a fun activity as much as possible to give him lots of practice* at home, give him time to respond, don't be impatient, don't push him past whatever his current lessons are, but do continously go back to yesterdays lessson focus etc. Get your wife into the fun also if she can speak English (perhaps this could even have some value for her English capabilities?).

Give it a shot - good luck !

*I believe this is one of the main keys to actual language development. My granddaughter (now 8 yrs old) goes to a private school in a full English stream, all subjects are taught by excellent farang teachers except Thai langauge (obviously taught by a Thai person). There is deliberately a lot pushing to gets the kids to speak English in the class room.

Here's the real point. Ninety nine percent of the kids in this class come from Thai families where:

- Both parents cannot speak any English but can read English but don't understand most of the words..

- Both parents cannot read or speak English past 'good morning' etc.

Real conversation ability is not happening with these kids because their is no immersion, and no practice and no reinforcement.

Most of these kids never do their homework (English, Science, etc) because the parents can't get specific to help the kids.

My granddaughter and about 3 other kids in her class have a foreign English speaking father or mother or grandparent at home. Their english development is excellent and pretty much equivalent to kids their own age living in a western house in a western country.

The immersion and therefore the continuous practice and reinforcement at home is clearly the key to success.

Some of these Rajabut institutes also have 'remedial' programs where older kids can do a 'crash rerun of high school' to get a better GPA before they start their uni program. I'm aware of one kid who did this - 6 years in 6 months, apparently the teachers are good, push hard and do get good results'.

There are also other ways to do this. There's a network of properly accredited 'Adult High Schools' across Thailand (Adult Primary Schools also). These places are usually crash / intensive programs all day Saturday and Sunday). The students are adults, all ages, who never got the chance to attend primary or high school. Not free but very small fees.

If your in Bangkok, one of these schools operates outdoors in Lumpini Park, all day Sat. & Sun. you can easily find it, and I know (three extended family youngsters) who completed 6 years of high school at this school (6 months I think - sounds crazy but it seems to get good results), and near the end several employers came to interview the students. My three relatives all got jobs immedialely and all three have had good work promotions.

Good post.

By the way, it is spelt Rajabhat (bh apparently being the preferred English transliteration for the aspirated P in Sanskrit).

Rajabhat Unversities are considered in general to be degree mills, and it is very difficult to make generalisations about them apart from the fact that they are easy to get into and turn out huge numbers of graduates because they are often pretty big and there is one in just about every province - but - as mentioned by scorecard there are certain faculties in certain Rajabhat Universities that are considered by employers to actually produce decent graduates.

Edited by Trembly

Seems to me that the Missus' son's only ambition is to lay in bed all day and hold his hand out when he wants money.

That was my ambition too. Another thing that I failed at.

Lay in bed all day? That's a disgrace. I've always had more a lot ambition than that:

I like to sit up and read or watch a movie once in a while. Even get out of bed and play with the kids. A bike ride and the gym. Some meals at the table. Some sexual activity (not always at the same time or at the table) .

That's how ambitious I am.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Seems to me that the Missus' son's only ambition is to lay in bed all day and hold his hand out when he wants money.

That was my ambition too. Another thing that I failed at.

Lay in bed all day? That's a disgrace. I've always had more a lot ambition than that:

I like to sit up and read or watch a movie once in a while. Even get out of bed and play with the kids. A bike ride and the gym. Some meals at the table. Some sexual activity (not always at the same time or at the table) .

That's how ambitious I am.

My missus asks if I ever get sick of sitting around doing nothing. I say, sure, but when I do I go and have a lie down until the feeling passes.

• Like 2

Sorry OP for your situation. I can only suggest that you cut him off completely.

My advice to single guys is never marry a Thai woman with any children, ESPECIALLY male.

There are many reasons for this.

im sure you mean cut the whole familee off, dont you! The mother scares me to no end!

Sorry OP for your situation. I can only suggest that you cut him off completely.

My advice to single guys is never marry a Thai woman with any children, ESPECIALLY male.

im sure you mean cut the whole familee off, dont you! The mother scares me to no end!

I mean no disrespect to the OP, but I must say that someone who has been through a Thai school and brags about their children getting the grades without doing any homework (without irony) would give me some pause for thought.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1

I was at Uni here in Australia, doing an MBA... In a study group with a Thai girl who has entered under the 'limited workplace experience' scheme, (i.e. open to any international student with an undergraduate degree and 2,500,000 Baht for tuition)...

I am thinking about Mum and Dad back in Bangkok paying out that money, plus living expenses... I offered to hook her up with some mates who worked for companies with offices in Thailand and Sydney, so that her work experience would be relevant when she returned home, as opposed to waitressing in a Thai restaurant... I chased her up about it a few times, nothing...

Seems that a parents money is easily spent, and seen to be a little value...

My parents couldn't afford to send me to Uni, so I went to work, then as a mature aged student went part time while working full time... got married and had a child before I finished a double masters...

I doubt anyone would have expected that from the boy who didn't do any homework his whole high-school life...

Maybe he will come good with age, but it isn't the OPs job to keep him in luxury until then...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo

I mean no disrespect to the OP, but I must say that someone who has been through a Thai school and brags about their children getting the grades without doing any homework (without irony) would give me some pause for thought.

Too right.

That is all so very interesting, but...who cares!

I thought it was obvious but I'll explain it to you. The dude above thought it odd that mom thought her son was doctor material. I think he implied Thai mothers had unrealistic goals or expectations for their male children. I was pointing out that Irish mothers had the same problem. I mean anyone who knew me, even a little, as a teenager would have known I was absolutely the last person in the world who would have made a priest. My gosh I retired to Pattaya and live a lifestyle that would make Hefner jealous.biggrin.png

• Like 2

I hate to say this as a generality, but It's been my experience that poor parenting at an early age is responsible for most of the problems that children have changing into responsible adults.

Bit unfair, I only had sons, they were all treated the same. Taught the same values etc.

One son is a credit, never gave us a sleepless night, a grey hair or bring a tear.

Sadly the other son done all three, plus bring the police with search warrants, court appearances with his descent into the vile world of drugs. So, so sadly he is not around anymore.

It were not poor parenting that made him do what he did, it were his choice and no amount of love, affection and time made one bit of difference.

Realise you prefaced your statement with "generality", but, think twice, print once when coming out with your own profound statements on how you think why children go wrong?

Edited by tmd5855
  • Like 1

I hate to say this as a generality, but It's been my experience that poor parenting at an early age is responsible for most of the problems that children have changing into responsible adults.

Bit unfair, I only had sons, they were all treated the same. Taught the same values etc.

One son is a credit, never gave us a sleepless night, a grey hair or bring a tear.

Sadly the other son done all three, plus bring the police with search warrants, court appearances with his descent into the vile world of drugs. So, so sadly he is not around anymore.

It were not poor parenting that made him do what he did, it were his choice and no amount of love, affection and time made one bit of difference.

Realise you prefaced your statement with "generality", but, think twice, print once when coming out with your own profound statements on how you think why children go wrong?

I'll stand by what I said originally. Unfortunately, children do not come with a set of instructions on how to raise each child INDIVIDUALLY. Every child is different and take different training and nurturing. What works for one child might not work for another. I will make an exception for those with mental problems or a chemical imbalance, but it all starts when they are very young. Someone with a lot more wisdom than me once said: "Give me a child for the first 6 years of their life and I will imprint on them the basics that last for the rest of their life."

I don't blame parents for not understanding how to raise each child individually. They've never been taught how to do so. Some children are born independent and stuborn. I was, and I'm completely different to my sister who fit the "perfect little girl" model. I was a tomboy and preferred things that boys liked. I identified with my father and my sister identified with my mother. My sister and I are still close, but we are as different as chalk and cheese.

I'm sorry that one of your sons had problems, but there was probably something at some point when he was very young where better training might have prevented him getting into drugs. And, it takes TWO parents working in unison to get it right. Children just naturally play one parent against the other. A strong, independent individual seldom makes bad choices. The followers almost always do. Nobody could have ever influenced me to take drugs or even smoke. And, I still only drink alcohol in moderation.

• Like 1

I'll stand by what I said originally. Unfortunately, children do not come with a set of instructions on how to raise each child INDIVIDUALLY. Every child is different and take different training and nurturing. What works for one child might not work for another. I will make an exception for those with mental problems or a chemical imbalance, but it all starts when they are very young. Someone with a lot more wisdom than me once said: "Give me a child for the first 6 years of their life and I will imprint on them the basics that last for the rest of their life."

I don't blame parents for not understanding how to raise each child individually. They've never been taught how to do so. Some children are born independent and stuborn. I was, and I'm completely different to my sister who fit the "perfect little girl" model. I was a tomboy and preferred things that boys liked. I identified with my father and my sister identified with my mother. My sister and I are still close, but we are as different as chalk and cheese.

I'm sorry that one of your sons had problems, but there was probably something at some point when he was very young where better training might have prevented him getting into drugs. And, it takes TWO parents working in unison to get it right. Children just naturally play one parent against the other. A strong, independent individual seldom makes bad choices. The followers almost always do. Nobody could have ever influenced me to take drugs or even smoke. And, I still only drink alcohol in moderation.

I don't know Rene but I'd be willing to bet she does not have children. smile.png

• Like 2

Chiangmaikelly:

"I thought it was obvious but I'll explain it to you. The dude above thought it odd that mom thought her son was doctor material. I think he implied Thai mothers had unrealistic goals or expectations for their male children. I was pointing out that Irish mothers had the same problem. I mean anyone who knew me, even a little, as a teenager would have known I was absolutely the last person in the world who would have made a priest. My gosh I retired to Pattaya and live a lifestyle that would make Hefner jealous."

My god, you are the most interesting person alive!

I so much would like to meet you and sip from the cup of wisdom you have to offer...oh wait...no, i don't!

By the way: this thread is not about you, irish mothers or the fact that all thai- women who have children are scum and farang, who marry them are idiots!

Heffner! Pattaya!

'nuff said!

Chiangmaikelly:

"I thought it was obvious but I'll explain it to you. The dude above thought it odd that mom thought her son was doctor material. I think he implied Thai mothers had unrealistic goals or expectations for their male children. I was pointing out that Irish mothers had the same problem. I mean anyone who knew me, even a little, as a teenager would have known I was absolutely the last person in the world who would have made a priest. My gosh I retired to Pattaya and live a lifestyle that would make Hefner jealous."

I so much would like to meet you and sip from the cup of wisdom you have to offer...oh wait...no, i don't!

By the way: this thread is not about you, irish mothers or the fact that all thai- women who have children are scum and farang, who marry them are idiots!

Heffner! Pattaya!

'nuff said!

Let me lead you through it; sometimes when you break things down they become easier to understand.

The OP's wife has delusions of grandeur about her son. A number of posters pointed this out and implied it might be common among Thai mothers.

I raised the point that Irish Catholic moms sometimes have the religious delusions about their sons even though said son may be the village Lothario. Thai doctor/Irish priest.

You man also think that Hugh Hefner is a very confident older gentleman. Not so. Hugh was never very good with the ladies. I learned this when I worked for Playboy clubs bask in the 1970's when they were big in the restaurant and club business. Hugh and I dated a number of women at the same time which was a source of pain for him.

You stole the colloquialism, “Nuff said” from Bernard Trink and he never really wrote much about Pattaya so I feel that is used in error at least when it is used you should credit Trink.

I hope this clarifies things and helps you to understand the relevance of Irish mothers and Thai mothers and that they are in fact sisters under the skin when it comes to plans for their sons future.

I thought it was obvious but I'll explain it to you. The dude above thought it odd that mom thought her son was doctor material. I think he implied Thai mothers had unrealistic goals or expectations for their male children. I was pointing out that Irish mothers had the same problem. I mean anyone who knew me, even a little, as a teenager would have known I was absolutely the last person in the world who would have made a priest. My gosh I retired to Pattaya and live a lifestyle that would make Hefner jealous.biggrin.png

So do many priests.

Chiangmaikelly:

Heffner! Pattaya!

'nuff said!

Let me lead you through it; sometimes when you break things down they become easier to understand.

The OP's wife has delusions of grandeur about her son. A number of posters pointed this out and implied it might be common among Thai mothers.

I raised the point that Irish Catholic moms sometimes have the religious delusions about their sons even though said son may be the village Lothario. Thai doctor/Irish priest.

You man also think that Hugh Hefner is a very confident older gentleman. Not so. Hugh was never very good with the ladies. I learned this when I worked for Playboy clubs bask in the 1970's when they were big in the restaurant and club business. Hugh and I dated a number of women at the same time which was a source of pain for him.

You stole the colloquialism, “Nuff said” from Bernard Trink and he never really wrote much about Pattaya so I feel that is used in error at least when it is used you should credit Trink.

I hope this clarifies things and helps you to understand the relevance of Irish mothers and Thai mothers and that they are in fact sisters under the skin when it comes to plans for their sons future.

You don't get it, do you?

Okay...again...for you: The OP wrote: My question is doe anyone else have issues such as this arise in their home life?

The OP did not ask for your personal childhood, nor your interesting ( coffee1.gif ) stories of your personal life and your even more interesting stories about Hugh Heffner and how you met Ghandi or Einstein got his idea for the theory of relativity from you!

There is no question about his wife's delusional views about her son nor a question about how Irish and Thai mothers are somehow the same.

And last, but by no means least, there is no question about the fact that he may have made a mistake by marrying a Thai- women with a child, because they are the lowest form of life you know.

And especially THAT statement is rascist, sexist and wrong!

But I guess, you are just a troll anyways, so this ends the conversation for me! 'nuff said

Chiangmaikelly:

Heffner! Pattaya!

'nuff said!

You don't get it, do you?

Okay...again...for you: The OP wrote: My question is doe anyone else have issues such as this arise in their home life?

The OP did not ask for your personal childhood, nor your interesting ( coffee1.gif ) stories of your personal life and your even more interesting stories about Hugh Heffner and how you met Ghandi or Einstein got his idea for the theory of relativity from you!

There is no question about his wife's delusional views about her son nor a question about how Irish and Thai mothers are somehow the same.

And last, but by no means least, there is no question about the fact that he may have made a mistake by marrying a Thai- women with a child, because they are the lowest form of life you know.

And especially THAT statement is rascist, sexist and wrong!

But I guess, you are just a troll anyways, so this ends the conversation for me! 'nuff said

Because I don't agree with you does not mean I am trolling or I don't get it. All mothers or almost all mothers are biased when it comes to their children. Anyone from any culture has issues when marrying a woman with children and this is not unique to Thai mothers. I was honest enough to share a personal experience between myself and my sainted dear departed mother which I am sorry you did not appreciate.

I have never met Gandhi or Einstein. I know that Einstein never wore socks. This must have pained his mother.

I try never to mimic others signature words or sayings like Benard Trink's "Nuff Said." It strikes me as being a copy cat. Nothing wrong with it, of course. I find it annoying when not attributed to Trink. If you wrote, " As Trink used to write, "nuff said" it would be acceptable but without that it smacks of plagiarism.