Australian Pensioner Wins The Right To Claim His Pension In Se Asia (Including Thailand)

IrishIvan

No, all it means more value in the house asset that can only be realised by selling and moving in to a lower cost property or cashing in and move to somewhere like Thailand. The challenge is in timing as house value can depreciate, as has happened in the past few years in some areas in Australia.

Middle class welfare is not "no questions asked", It is based upon household income and number of children and accordingly scaled . It is true that some (e.g. self employed) understate their income, but government is using sophisticated data mining techniques to assist in identifying such behaviour. e.g. matching vehicle purchase value against declared income.

House prices down for 2 years in a row now simple1

http://smh.domain.com.au/real-estate-news/house-prices-sink-for-a-second-year-20130102-2c559.html

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, all it means more value in the house asset that can only be realised by selling and moving in to a lower cost property or cashing in and move to somewhere like Thailand. The challenge is in timing as house value can depreciate, as has happened in the past few years in some areas in Australia.

Middle class welfare is not "no questions asked", It is based upon household income and number of children and accordingly scaled . It is true that some (e.g. self employed) understate their income, but government is using sophisticated data mining techniques to assist in identifying such behaviour. e.g. matching vehicle purchase value against declared income.

http://smh.domain.co...0102-2c559.html

Yes, when I sold my house in SE QLD end of 2011 it had dropped in value by 15% in 14 months.

Yes, when I sold my house in SE QLD end of 2011 it had dropped in value by 15% in 14 months.

Wow. That's a big drop. Hope u didn't come out behind on that one. The Gold coast and Sunshine coast saw some big price decreases.

Wow. That's a big drop. Hope u didn't come out behind on that one. The Gold coast and Sunshine coast saw some big price decreases.

Let's put it like this, no capital gain when taking into account costs for mortgage, rates, house improvement to make it more attractive for buyers & maintenance. I sold within 6 weeks of putting it on the market for a price that met buyer expectation. Since end 2011 prices in the area have dropped roughly 5%. I know a solicitor, acted for me when selling my house, who is buying at even lower prices as he is cashed up and buying property when owners are in financial distress.

What this guy should do is go overseas

and then come back as a 'boat person'

once he got thru the redtape he' be home & hosed .......right ?

Firstly, he is an Australian citizen. How could he apply for refugee status?

Secondly, boat arrivals face five years in pretty unpleasant accommodation. If you call that being "home and hosed", you have different standards to most people.

Either that, or you are not very bright.

Those "unpleasant conditions" are probably absolute luxury compared to where they came from.

• Like 1

Secondly, boat arrivals face five years in pretty unpleasant accommodation. If you call that being "home and hosed", you have different standards to most people.

Those "unpleasant conditions" are probably absolute luxury compared to where they came from.

And they're not in any danger of getting killed. Some people are never satisfied!

I'm in two minds about this. On one hand while this guy is overseas he is costing the government less. No doubt he will be able to get rental assistance, free meds and other allowances if he was in Australia so the government is saving money while he is overseas. On the other hand I believe there should be a limit to how long someone on welfare can stay overseas. Money going overseas does not help our economy and I've got no doubt alot these people on welfare holidays are taking the piss.

do any of the experts here know how hard it is to get a disability pension

I have been knocked back twice and do you realise while you are trying to get that allowance you are stuck in the newstart line

I love these holier than now types who judge and have never been in the situation

do any of the experts here know how hard it is to get a disability pension

I have been knocked back twice and do you realise while you are trying to get that allowance you are stuck in the newstart line

I love these holier than now types who judge and have never been in the situation

Why were you knocked back twice?

The first time I was assesed it was by an independant company that were contracted to the government and my assesor said she was recomending me for the allowance

I was told subsequently that I didnt meet citeria by mail, that process took approximatelly 4 months

The next time I applied eventually I had interview with cetrelink staff and was told that procedure had changed and they were using their own personell to do interviews and assesments, I scored lower on the disability scale than the first interview and tjis assement was done from canberra

Now it is quite simple I have 2 knees that need replacement, I have pacemaker fitted to heart, am suffering chronic pain in back, have a floating bone in neck which causes severe headaches at times.

All of this was documented with medical proof the first time so I failed to see how the assesor in canberra could disagree with this but he did

my bitch is yep I can live more cheaply here but I can live with less pain, if you have arthritis it is a bitch in cold weather

When back in OZ last year a Chinese yacht arrived in Darwin, they were on their way to NZ as refugees. Didn't like the idea of being detained while processed in OZ. After being convinced to stay, they were placed in refugee detention in the second Darwin detention center. Otherwise know as the Darwin lodge air port hotel.

I can't afford to stay in nice hotels, with pools and good food and I worked my life paying taxes, doing the right thing.

As said before, I am classed as a non resident and except the passport I have to pay for am not entitled to anything, but the right to come and go.

Sorry to say, but Oz is not the country I grow up in anymore, things have changed, feel like a second class citizen when I go back. Jim

They have a swimming pool at the Darwin detention centre?

The first time I was assesed it was by an independant company that were contracted to the government and my assesor said she was recomending me for the allowance

I was told subsequently that I didnt meet citeria by mail, that process took approximatelly 4 months

The next time I applied eventually I had interview with cetrelink staff and was told that procedure had changed and they were using their own personell to do interviews and assesments, I scored lower on the disability scale than the first interview and tjis assement was done from canberra

Now it is quite simple I have 2 knees that need replacement, I have pacemaker fitted to heart, am suffering chronic pain in back, have a floating bone in neck which causes severe headaches at times.

All of this was documented with medical proof the first time so I failed to see how the assesor in canberra could disagree with this but he did

my bitch is yep I can live more cheaply here but I can live with less pain, if you have arthritis it is a bitch in cold weather

Those condition you describe sound serious.

Were you knocked back on medical grounds, or because they classified you as living overseas?

I never got the allowance, I was on newstart the whole time my claims were being processed.and all of the applications carried medical evidence.

I was staying with my son when I applied the last time so I was resident in australia although they were aware that I had been living overseas, centrelink are able to see everytime you pass through immigration.

My guess for what it's worth is they knew I wouldnt be appealing the decision because of the time involved so they say no and I go away, the funny part is I scored lower on the assessment the second time, the first time I scored 15 and second 5 points and all this from a desk in canberra.

You can probably see why I get irritated when people make comments like "being on welfare holidays" , all I ask is to be able to live in a bit of comfort and slightly more pain free.

I am less of a burden on the government living here, there is no rent assistance, travel concessions, free healthcare and significantly reduced pharmaceutical costs.

It would also be good if we could stay on topic as whether the people in darwin have a swimming pool while in detention has nothing to do with this thread.

cheers

• Like 2

The guy is getting a disability pension, not OAP as he's 62. Under current rules, once he's 65 the disability pension rolls over to a OAP, so long as he is resident in Australia at that time & would then be able to receive the OAP whilst living overseas full time.

correct ..people get confused about this ....old age pension u can stay where u like ..the govt. and rightfully so is cutting back on people with DISABILITY pensions ...it excludes war injuries that r rorting the system ...disability pensions r given for the most bizarre reasons and amazingly literally THOUSANDS of so called refugees that have arrived in oz after securing a disability pension then RETURN from whence they came ... the oz govt is going broke

The guy is getting a disability pension, not OAP as he's 62. Under current rules, once he's 65 the disability pension rolls over to a OAP, so long as he is resident in Australia at that time & would then be able to receive the OAP whilst living overseas full time.

correct ..people get confused about this ....old age pension u can stay where u like ..the govt. and rightfully so is cutting back on people with DISABILITY pensions ...it excludes war injuries that r rorting the system ...disability pensions r given for the most bizarre reasons and amazingly literally THOUSANDS of so called refugees that have arrived in oz after securing a disability pension then RETURN from whence they came ... the oz govt is going broke

What stats do you have to back up this claim?

How does a refugee get a disability pension BEFORE they arrive in Aus?

I dont think he means they get one overseas because that doesnt happen, think he meant they arrive in Oz and get the allowance then head back from where they came which is still incorrect, refugees dont return to "from whence they came"

• Like 1

I doubt if you or anyone else knows if this guy is a freeloader or genuinly sick. The point is he is entitled if he lives in Oz. why should he or anyone be discriminated against because they live overseas? That goes for NZ and UK too.

How true.

Ole samran and I rarely disagree (post #2) ... but on this question we are at a difference.

This is a man who chooses to live a nomadic lifestyle but relies on the Australian government to fund this lifestyle ... through the disability pension.

He has a medical condition and 'suffers from schizophrenia', though, due to his nomadic movement, I doubt he is getting treated for it.

The fact of the matter that it would be cheaper to pay the pension and he stay overseas as opposed to reside in Australia could be true ... but it should not be the premise of the argument.

I believe in fairness for all ... as best it can be done.

Many people speak about it being the 'Government's money' ... well, just remember ... it's our money that we pay through taxes etc ... the government just redistributes it as it sees fit and in line with the ideologies of the political party in power.

So … how I see it … we are funding his nomadic lifestyle … and I disagree with that.

Surprised that the Mods haven’t moved this to the Pension Topic.

EDIT:- samran and I posted at the same time and I don't wish to have my post seen as to refute what he wrote above me ...

People in the UK say the same thing. It is not the peoples money (sorry if I'm off topic, I'm referring to the UK here) It is the governments money, they take it from the people, use it to give benefits to emigrants,to give to overseas aid, MPs "expenses" steal it from pensioners living abroad in most countries by not giving them their annual increase. It is every UK citizens duty to get as much of the governments money as possible for themselves and their families. Australians will know better than me if the same applies there, although I suspect it doesn't.

Ole samran and I rarely disagree (post #2) ... but on this question we are at a difference.

This is a man who chooses to live a nomadic lifestyle but relies on the Australian government to fund this lifestyle ... through the disability pension.

He has a medical condition and 'suffers from schizophrenia', though, due to his nomadic movement, I doubt he is getting treated for it.

The fact of the matter that it would be cheaper to pay the pension and he stay overseas as opposed to reside in Australia could be true ... but it should not be the premise of the argument.

I believe in fairness for all ... as best it can be done.

Many people speak about it being the 'Government's money' ... well, just remember ... it's our money that we pay through taxes etc ... the government just redistributes it as it sees fit and in line with the ideologies of the political party in power.

So … how I see it … we are funding his nomadic lifestyle … and I disagree with that.

Surprised that the Mods haven’t moved this to the Pension Topic.

EDIT:- samran and I posted at the same time and I don't wish to have my post seen as to refute what he wrote above me ...

Yes, it's the peoples money, they are the ones who pay the taxes.

ridiculous statement! where is your proof to say this?

The Australian govt wants people who get welfare payments to spend it in Australia regardless that it will save money in some cases if sent to overseas reciptients as it still keeps the money flowing through the system to people who do pay taxes.

yes I question gaucho's comments, I cant go overseas for longer than 12 weeks on disability and that is due to change soon

What are the changes coming in, do you know?

Reading through the judgement based on the case in this thread, it appeared it referenced a loophole that was to be closed regarding time spent overseas.

As you know, the defendant in this case spent approx 60% of his time overseas

yes I question gaucho's comments, I cant go overseas for longer than 12 weeks on disability and that is due to change soon

What are the changes coming in, do you know?

Reading through the judgement based on the case in this thread, it appeared it referenced a loophole that was to be closed regarding time spent overseas.

As you know, the defendant in this case spent approx 60% of his time overseas

Reduced down to six weeks as of 01/01/2013, detail below

Disability Support Pension (DSP)

If you leave Australia to live in another country you will not be able to receive the Disability Support Pension (DSP) in the other country, unless you:

• are terminally ill and are leaving Australia permanently to be with or near a family member, or to return to your country of origin, or
  • left Australia prior to 1 July 2004, and at the time of leaving you were told that you could be paid indefinitely, and you have not returned to Australia to live since that time, or
  • have been assessed in Australia prior to the departure as having a permanent, severe impairment and no future work capacity. Assessment involves a review of your DSP qualification and a Job Capacity Assessment.

In these situations, you can keep your DSP payments for the whole time you’re outside Australia. However, the amount that you get may change.

When you leave Australia temporarily, you can usually get your DSP payments for up to six weeks while you're away.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1