When Is The "pollution Season" In Chiang Mai?

coralia

Could someone please enlighten me on this... I always thought it was only the month of March, or maybe March+April. Buth now someone is telling me that the pollution starts in mid-January... I am very confused. When exactly is the time when Chiang Mai is very polluted (and I shouldn't set foot there)?

Thank you.

Looking down from Wat Doi Kham on a bluff above the airport, i would say its already started. in addition to the general haze, there were at least half a dozen major conflagrations in close proximity to the city - even two guys 'making merit' by sweeping up the leaves around Wat Doi Kham and burning them.

Mae pen rai means ' I don't give a shit'!! same, same old old. Kids and old people die of respiratory diseases, but there's no money to be made from busting peasants for starting fires, so no-one does so.

• Like 1

Almost any time in the dry season is less clear than in the rainy season, that goes without saying.

But nearly all days in the last 10 years that have been objectively bad (PCD air quality figures) are in March.

(And in some years the later days in February or the first couple days in April, but by Songkran things clear up.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Discussion Guideline for these topics

1. Personal health observations of Zyrtec addicted senior citizens do not accurate data make. (Esp. with pollen and winter colds also going around)

2. Someone's neighbor burning a heap of trash and leaves is definitely annoying and worth acting on, but has zero to do with region-wide haze pollution.

3. Best available data, for free, here: www.pcd.go.th

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

If you're not yet in Chiang Mai, it's best to avoid coming here during smog season.

If you're already settled in:

* you can start planning an exit strategy (see the Getting Out Of Dodge thread for some great seaside suggestions).

* you can stock up on N95 breathing masks.

* you can do nothing and hope it's not as bad as last year. If it is, your lifespan just diminishes a wee little bit (but you'll have less of those pesky 90-day reports to do).

It should be noted that last year was particularly bad though. 2009 was about 5 weeks from late Feb to end of March, 2010 I don't remember, 2011 didn't seem to happen due to early rains in February, last year seemed to start mid Feb (early burn off of the previous year's unburnt) and didn't truly clear up until May, horrific stuff!

March last year I remember driving south of Lamphun, couldn't see more than 200m in front of me as it was so dirty - driving in the dark in these conditions is like driving in deep fog.

Hopefully they burnt so much last year, this will be like 2009.

Hopefully the current haze means that the burning has started unusually early, and therefore it might stop earlier than usual, too... rains would be very welcome.

The burning of rice fields started the same time as every year. After the rice harvest, in early December. It will continue until the rains arrive.

Hopefully the current haze means that the burning has started unusually early, and therefore it might stop earlier than usual, too... rains would be very welcome.

The burning of rice fields started the same time as every year. After the rice harvest, in early December. It will continue until the rains arrive.

and the same with vehicle exhaust fumes pollution in the city. Too many cars, trucks now. No rain, exhaust emissions don't go anywhere. Probably more dangerous than the field burn offs sad.png Hopefully, the new airport will be built 100m from my wife's house. Then we can sell the property off at a massive profit & exit on a jetplane......

Last year it started getting bad near February 14, earlier than normal. Earlier topic on the 2012 reports to give you an idea. It will show what it was like when it started, during and when it started improving.

he remembers the date well as he took his wife out for a romantic evening meal but couldnt even see her across the table.

• Like 1

How would you act on point # 2 then?

1. Personal health observations of Zyrtec addicted senior citizens do not accurate data make. (Esp. with pollen and winter colds also going around)

2. Someone's neighbor burning a heap of trash and leaves is definitely annoying and worth acting on, but has zero to do with region-wide haze pollution.

How would you act on point # 2 then?

There is a massive difference between a neighbour burning garden waste & trash, and the widespread burning of rice fields.

Coming back from Mae Sai yesterday I noticed there were already fires burning. But, that is my first trip up that way and maybe they are always burning something.

I'm of the opinion that a thai farmer doesn't feel he has done a day's work unless he has set fire to something.

• Like 2

And I used to tell everyone that I would go and live in Chiang Mai when I turn 50....... Now I can't even decide to go there for a one-month trip.sad.png

As bad as it gets here during the smog season, don't let that deter your dreams of living in Chiang Mai. The town's got so much to offer. My biggest challenge isn't the smog season, it's the year-round heat. As a native of Canada, it takes a bit of getting used to. I'm still working on it!

My biggest challenge isn't the smog season, it's the year-round heat.

The heat bothers me more than the smoke, but after 20 + years in Chiang Mai, only the hot season really bothers me and even that has not been bad the last few years. To me, the weather now is perfect, although it seems to be starting to heat up in the last few days.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Coming back from Mae Sai yesterday I noticed there were already fires burning. But, that is my first trip up that way and maybe they are always burning something.

I'm of the opinion that a thai farmer doesn't feel he has done a day's work unless he has set fire to something.

Well here's a twist on that one. My village (Don Chan area - some 400 houses) now 99% completed, just a few houses (all in one grouping) on last legs of completion.

Last week several of the workmen (work for the sub contractor actually building the houses etc.) decided to gather up all the rubbish (quite a big pile) and they set fire to it, major fire and major smoke all going into the nearby already completed and occupied houses just 10 - 15 metres away.

Occupants quickly called the main developers office (on site) and several staff came running, fire extinguished as quickly as possible and major apologies.

Meanwhile workmen standing around can't understand what's wrong.

Edited by scorecard

And I used to tell everyone that I would go and live in Chiang Mai when I turn 50....... Now I can't even decide to go there for a one-month trip.sad.png

As bad as it gets here during the smog season, don't let that deter your dreams of living in Chiang Mai. The town's got so much to offer. My biggest challenge isn't the smog season, it's the year-round heat. As a native of Canada, it takes a bit of getting used to. I'm still working on it!

I don't know about other people, but I for one am claustrophobic and spend most of the day out of doors... If I had to hole myself indoors because of the pollution, I would rather go and live in Pattaya (admittedly not the best solution for a middle-aged Buddhist lady...) sad.png