Looking For Plastic Surgeon For Face Lift

coneyd

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Thailand in late summer and I am considering plastic surgery - a face lift and work to my lower eye lids. I've heard about Bumrungrad Hospital and I'm wondering if anyone has any information on doctors - good or bad experiences and what to watch out for. Any other information that anyone could provide would be much appreciated.

Coney

I've heard more bad stories than good.

Patients coming home to Australia and have local plastic surgeons try and rectify the damage that Thailand surgeons created.

Our current affairs programs on television have shown many sad and bad cases.

You might save some money by using the Bangkok hospital but your face could end up a mess forever.

Most TV "in-depth news" programs are little more than press releases.

I hope you can get some personal accounts, whether good or bad.

According to the press in the States, foriegn pharmaceuticals are simply not to be trusted.

Even Canada is suspect.

From my personal experience, saving hundreds on Thai prescription drugs, with identical results, I can't help but believe a lot of the bad press is generated by US pharmaceutical manufacturers.

I would tend to believe that the cosmetic surgery establishment might use similar tactics.

I happened to catch a great program on medical tourism in Thailand.

Bumrungrad was featured.

There were a couple of success stories where people had great results and spent a couple weeks recovering at Thai beaches, for less than the cost of the surgery in the States.

Then again, Bumrungrad is operated by a US management company.

They might have been responsible for the good press.

:o

I happened to catch a great program on medical tourism in Thailand.

Bumrungrad was featured.

There were a couple of success stories where people had great results and spent a couple weeks recovering at Thai beaches, for less than the cost of the surgery in the States.

Then again, Bumrungrad is operated by a US management company.

They might have been responsible for the good press.

:o

I am pretty sure the US program you refer to is "60 Minutes" which enjoys a good reputation in the US for the last 20+ years with an honest viewpoint on most things. They were considered investigative journalists and embarrassed many companies on tape about things they had uncovered. I doubt that Bumr. would have been able to "buy them off" to create a fluff piece.

Anyway, I know that Bumrungrad was distributing vcds of the "60 Minute" 2005 segment filmed in which India was also noted as a "medical destination". Perhaps the OP could ask them to send the VCD to them.

The building is impressive, the facilities are excellent, the doctors are great in my opinion and the price (especially vs the US) is excellent. I have used Bumr. for 5 years with great success. I am sure you will find horror stories but I have been pleased. Most complaints I have heard deal with the cost of care there vs other hospitals in Bangkok that many consider just as good.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Thailand in late summer and I am considering plastic surgery - a face lift and work to my lower eye lids. I've heard about Bumrungrad Hospital and I'm wondering if anyone has any information on doctors - good or bad experiences and what to watch out for. Any other information that anyone could provide would be much appreciated.

Coney

There was a recent thread on this forum about Dr. Amorn Pomee at Bumrungrad. All rave reviews. I has a lower and mid face lift by him in December and am absolutely thrilled with the results. other posters reported the same. Dr. Amorn is board certified in both the US and Canada and worked in the West for many years. He is widely regarded by other Thai health professionsals as the best in thefield -- no one else comes close. Down side is, there's a long wait (several months) to get on his surgical schedule (although you can list yourself as "stand by". Consultation is free and he gives a very realistic explanation of what to expect.

What I particulalry likes about his work -- bnesides its painstaking delicacy -- is that he doesn't try to do anything fancy or to alter the basic features. In my case he simply, and effectively, corrected the sagging, returning me to the face I used to have.

You can make an appointm,ent with him on the bumrungrad website.

Patients coming home to Australia and have local plastic surgeons try and rectify the damage that Thailand surgeons created.

You might save some money by using the Bangkok hospital but your face could end up a mess forever.

A Current Affair and Today Tonight are not exactly what I would call current affairs programmes. I was disgusted with their initial segments on medical tourism in Thailand - it was no more than Australian surgeons being browned off at losing business. The coverage was not balanced in that there were only negative aspects being shown. It was followed up with similar stories in the tabloids and over the radio. That's not journalism. That's PR. Proper journalism covers both the positive and negative aspects of a story. Australia's got its fair share of rotten surgeons - Jayant Patel anyone? How about that coke snorting brain surgeon on the Gold Coast?

Skylar, you could be right. Journalists always take one side of a story, the sensationalist, shocking side.

During every current affair program on television, the presenter always asks viewers to contact the program with personal experiences on some issue.

Usually the only people who do contact are those who have a gripe about something.

The shows then present stories of somebody being ripped off, some cruel daughter throwing her own mother out of her house, some con artist swindling old age pensioners etc.

These negative type stories get the rating figures up for the television channel.

I have watched the plastic surgery stories and the only positive spins are those surgeons who right the mistakes of other surgeons, usually the bad Thailand surgeons.

I have watched the Extreme Makeover shows and am amazed at the good results obtained.

I guess with plastic surgery there will always be operations that are botched to some degree. On the other side of the equation, there will always be brilliant plastic surgery operations.

Probably the positive results far outweigh the negative results.

My wife is wanting small breast implants just so she doesn't have to wear padded bras as she has a complex about her tiny boobs.

I don't want her to but she is quiet intent.

She has being quoted 60,000 to do it by suposedly a very good doctor but i would rather she go somewhere half famous in thailand like Bumrungrad hospital or the like.

Anyone know of anyone who has had boob implants put in here and recommendations or not?

Appreciate it.

• 3 months later...
Hi,

Coney

have you found a Dr. yet?

or have you already gone and back? If not I could recommend Dr. Poomee

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi,

Coney

what did you decide? and how did it go? would appreciate any information

Hi, my wife has just returned from having plastic surgery in Bangkok. She had a nose job and her upper eyelids done.

I have to admit I was very nervous when I went to Heathrow to pick her up from her flight home. I wasnt sure what to expect (Frankensteins monster) but the results were better than we could have hoped for.

My wife is Thai and had the usual alar reduction (nostril reduction) and excess skin removed from her upper eyelids. We have friends that have had similar operations in Thailand and all have come back happy with the results, but it's never guaranteed.

My wife went to Yanhee Hospital, they have a website (google it) with all the prices etc. This was a hospital recommended by a friend and it is absoluteley first class. If you make an enquiry by email you will be put in touch with a loveley lady in the international department who can answer any questions you might have.

One final thing, the prices at the Yanhee are much better than at the Bumrungrad as they seem to have a much larger plastic surgery department.

I hope this was of help,

Sean.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Coney

Yan Hee Hospitl DR. Greechart the best $4000.00 :o:D:D

I had it done 100% satisfied!Yan hee Dr. Greechart, I don't believe you!!! :o:D:D:D

All I can say is STAY AWAY FROM CHIANG MAI for that type of surgery..or anytype of surgery that requires an operation

I've only just spotted this thread and am appalled at the generalization you have made. I have received superb treatment at Chiang Mai Ram for a heart problem, dental work and general health care. There are good doctors, very good doctors at any number of hospitals in Thailand and especially in CM since it is the home of Thailand's premier medical training university. One does not need to go to the Nuffield or the John Radcliffe to receive good health care - shame on you.

I'm going in tomorrow for a full face lift with Dr Amorn Poomee at Bumrungrad. Yes, he's expensive, but his reputation is fantastic. Google him and you won't find ONE negative word about him, but tons of positive. I've been communicating with him for months, had my initial in-person consultation with him last week, and he did a tummy tuck on my wife last week and she's doing well. Cost for the full face with lower eyelid and forehead lift is around 350,000 ThB, including all hospital fees, meds, anesthesiologist and two nights in a private room. Dr Poomee is one of only two US Board Certified Plastic Surgeons in the entire country. He practiced in California for over 20 years before returning to Thailand to head the Plastic Surgery Dept at Bumrungrad. Feel free to PM me in a few weeks and I'll be happy to share my experiences with you, though it does take about 6 months to see the full results.

Second that. Dr. Amorn did a face lift on me a year back and the results are fabulous, I look 10 - 15 years younger. No one believes my age and no one believes I've had a face lift, eiither, because it looks so natural.

Second that. Dr. Amorn did a face lift on me a year back and the results are fabulous, I look 10 - 15 years younger. No one believes my age and no one believes I've had a face lift, eiither, because it looks so natural.

Sheryl pictures ? I heard Dr. Preecha was the number one guy .... saw Dr. Amorn and was not impresed again Dr. Preecha seemed to be in a whole different league

Sheryl pictures ? I heard Dr. Preecha was the number one guy .... saw Dr. Amorn and was not impresed again Dr. Preecha seemed to be in a whole different league

Sobe...Curious what didn't impress you about Dr Amorn and also curious why Dr. Preecha was more impressive. FWIW, Dr Amorn and Dr Sripan at Bumrungrad, along with a Dr Bongsadat are the only three plastic surgeons in Thailand who are U.S. Board certified (as verified on the American Society of Plastic Surgeons website).

Preecha is renown, esp for sex changes. Dr. Amorn, however, is specifically renown for face lifts. Several Thai physicians -- not personally assoiated with him in any way -- have told me that he (Dr. Amorn) is the unqualified top man in Thailand for it. He is modest and low key in his approach -- won't pressure the client and won't make extravagant promises. The most I could wring out of him pre-operatively is that the surgery would probably make me look better. In fact it made me look great, and I'm sure he knew it would, but it's his way not to raise expectations.

I'm not about to post photos of myself here....those who have met me can testify that I don't look my age, rest will just have to take my word for it. Also ref the testimonials of other TV members e.g. Marsha and I think now Bruce. Anyhow, your choice. Dr. Preecha is certainly a competent plastic surgeon and won't do a bad job. But what Dr. Amorn does is a positive work of art...

Dr Grechart did my wifes tits at Yanhee everything 100%+.

I am quite sure that western surgeons make mistakes too but they are better at covering it up and it will cost you more to get it fixed!!!!