Activate Windows 7 On-Line ?

expatman

Is it possible in Thailand to buy a product key for Windows 7 on-line ?

My son's PC which had XP installed crashed so I installed Windows 7 from a disk I had already used to install 7 on my laptop. Of course the product key verification failed, but when I went to the Microsoft web site to buy another product key I couldn't get it to work. After verifying the Windows as genuine the webpage said "don't navigate away from this page", but then didn't do anything else !

Has anyone else successfully purchased a product key on-line in Thailand, or do I have to buy another DVD (which I don't really need) just to get that "magic number" ?

Jiu-Jitu is trying to help out. If the laptop brand/make is known, then can do www. search and find out if there is a recovery partition, and how to get into it.

Follow this for an example: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/crashing-of-windows-xp-dont-have-any-recoverable/9681d8d1-41ed-4be4-8369-7d73c61d1dff?msgId=4cd2e397-38b9-4e3c-b058-298ec70a6185

If xp can be recovered, then usually possible to upgrade to win7 (at cost).

Good luck, AA

Jiu-Jitu is trying to help out. If the laptop brand/make is known, then can do www. search and find out if there is a recovery partition, and how to get into it.

Follow this for an example: http://answers.micro...58-298ec70a6185

Good luck, AA

Too late to go back to XP and try to upgrade.

Have already deleted all the old junk and reinstalled required applications.

Just need to get the Windows 7 activated (willing to pay).

This is what that site says (in part) :

To obtain a new genuine Windows 7 product key, you'll need to buy an additional copy of the same edition of Windows 7, which contains a product key that you can use.

So it looks like I have to buy another DVD, even though I don't need it !!!!!

Do the PC have a brand name and model number?

Yes, it does, but that's irrelevent.

Windows 7 is working, it just needs to be "activated" before the 30-day limit expires.

Why don't you just answer the question instead of assuming that you know it all? If you did, you wouldn't be posting here.

• Like 1

This is what that site says (in part) :

To obtain a new genuine Windows 7 product key, you'll need to buy an additional copy of the same edition of Windows 7, which contains a product key that you can use.

So it looks like I have to buy another DVD, even though I don't need it !!!!!

Well technically you are buying another license (which you DO need) and getting a disk free.

If the XP was legal, you should have a license for it, and would therefore be eligible for an upgrade. Like I said, why don't you contact Microsoft and explain what you want to do and see what they say?

Just go to EBAY and search for Windows 7. Many people sell their old Windows 7 Keys and most will just email the key to you. Also many vendors have overstocked copies of Windows 7, and will also sell you the DVD but most offer the option of only getting the Product Key emailed to you.

Follow this for an example: http://answers.micro...58-298ec70a6185

Good luck, AA

Too late to go back to XP and try to upgrade.

Have already deleted all the old junk and reinstalled required applications.

Just need to get the Windows 7 activated (willing to pay).

Why don't you answer the question about make and model. Many computers would have a hidden partition with XP on it as an image. If so you didn't and don't know how to see it or delete it. Instead of now sending you your Windows disk with the computer you buy, it's on that partition with the product key already on it. You do a recovery operation and it completely wipes your drive and puts the computer back to the day it was born, drivers, product key, and all.

What make and model is it?

For less than the cost of an OEM SEAsia Windows 7 licence (which in itself is cheaper than the US version key purchased direct from Microsoft) you can buy a Windows 8 upgrade licence key direct from MS.

I dont like the Metro interface at all in Win8, but it can be bypassed and so for just 1200B (equiv) you can have an entirely legal and up to date OS. May not be suitable for older machines, but worth checking.

Failing that just buy the Win 7 OEM SEAsia licence and disk for about 3000B.

To install an upgrade, you first have to own a licensed copy of the original. You need both licenses.

A lot of people think that to install an upgrade version, you first have to install the original and that's not true. You just have to have the original handy with a valid product key. You install the upgrade version from scratch on a newly formatted disk drive, and there comes a place to insert the product key for the old version. It's a lot cleaner install than actually using it on/over an install of the old version, which will also work.

To install an upgrade, you first have to own a licensed copy of the original. You need both licenses.

Actually with the Win8 online upgrade you can install it and activate it without any trouble at all from a clean un-activated install of Win8, using the same media and licence key if necessary. I did it starting from a blank hard drive and the downloaded Win8 installation files saved to a USB stick. Just install it once, let the activation fail, then install it again and let it activate. It works fine.

Some might suspect that MS know this and don't mind.

You are trying to use a retail product key on an OEM CD. You should install using a standard product cd.

DVD was retail version and previously installed on my laptop.

Solved the problem by buying on-line a Win7 product key for USD 23.99, a lot cheaper than buying another DVD I don't need.

Solved the problem by buying on-line a Win7 product key for USD 23.99, a lot cheaper than buying another DVD I don't need.

That's very cheap. eBay ?

no, commercial site, there are several

search Google for " microsoftwindows7keys"

That's very cheap. eBay ?

no, commercial site, there are several

search Google for " microsoftwindows7keys"

Potential shoppers need to read this - http://www.technonsense.com/2011/02/cheap-windows-7-winkey-sale-scam/

• Like 1

There's another possibility. I suppose everyone knows that Microsoft produces an Enterprise Edition. Because there is no way that Microsoft could convince a huge enterprise to juggle product keys for thousands of computers, they issue a product key that works on all computers, and the enterprise pays for a number of users. In a way it's on the honor system because it will go onto desktops, laptops, whatever, and the enterprise has to keep count of how many.

The only products they sell that way are the desktop versions that work with Server. In XP that was Pro.

Windows 7 has to validate against a remote server. The server installs the validation. Some people have cracked that and set up servers to work with a certain product key. Others have gotten a hold of an Enterprise Edition key for some huge company like say IBM which is worldwide and even Microsoft can't tell how many people are using it or where they are.

IBM can buy 10,000 new computers and install the OS and drivers and other programs on it just as they want every computer to be. Then they make an image MSI file of that after stripping the SID and user name from the installation using Sysprep. Now they can push that image with the same valid product key to all 10,000 computers from a server and they will all light up and validate.

Bottom line is that these keys may or may not expire. If they are done with either method I described above they are truly validated. Or, they may expire.

It's just so much easier to pay for what I get. Then I don't have guilt or worry.

Rather you than me. You may be doing a follow-up post to this before long.

You can take a horse to water.....

Rather you than me. You may be doing a follow-up post to this before long.

I'd start by trying a Windows Update....