Hands Up Anyone Who Has Eaten Dog

Phronesis

I have, on a number of occassions, though not recently.

All of my canine cuisine experiences were years ago in the remote provinces of Timor.

I was hungry at the time...and hunger is the best chef...but from memory the Angin Goreng was a two thumbs up.

And for those that think that chowing down on Rover is a particularly Asian pursuit...think again.

As a young backpacker I was roaming the backstreets of Venice, Italy, and, to my suprise, the butcher shop had a fully dressed dog proudly displayed on a meat hook in the front window.

Edited by Phronesis

Yep! ate Fido in the Philippines. I thought it was sort of sweet and a bit gristly and bony. On the beach I lived on, there were no barking dogs. If they barked or snarled, the locals would first break their backs with a lump of wood, then kill and butcher and usually barbecue them. I was not much impressed by that. Neither did I like the method employed to kill pigs. A good pig would scream for up to 15 minutes after having its throat cut. Shaving the animal prior to butchering would not require that it was entirely dead. Generally, given the Filipino appetite for the ears and <deleted> of most animals, not much was left for the scavenging dogs.

I've never craved dog as part of my regular diet. How many Filipino restaurants are there in your home town?

Never chewed on rover, although rovers had on the odd occasion chewed on me,,,, hehe

Seriously though, I have pet dogs and for me depending on the situation I was put in I wouldn't like to think I'd consider it,, however I wouldn't be against anyone for trying it,, what I object to is the way you see some of those animals ( sometimes not only dogs) packed like sardines in a can by some of those people who collect and transport them

I have had dog meat a few times in the distant past when I hiked up to visit friends in moderately remote Akha villages. Today most of those same villages are accessible by vehicle and I no longer see people eating dog meat as a staple.

Yep! ate Fido in the Philippines. I thought it was sort of sweet and a bit gristly and bony. On the beach I lived on, there were no barking dogs. If they barked or snarled, the locals would first break their backs with a lump of wood, then kill and butcher and usually barbecue them. I was not much impressed by that. Neither did I like the method employed to kill pigs. A good pig would scream for up to 15 minutes after having its throat cut. Shaving the animal prior to butchering would not require that it was entirely dead. Generally, given the Filipino appetite for the ears and <deleted> of most animals, not much was left for the scavenging dogs.

I've never craved dog as part of my regular diet. How many Filipino restaurants are there in your home town?

Had the same experience as you. Saw a dog being spit-roasted in the paradise island of Borocay, just off the beaten track and got invited to try some (no chance). Also every morning the noises of the daily piglet being killed at the hotel next door would awaken me, which as you said seemed to be 15 mins of extreme suffering. I didn't stay there long. Up north it was a regular occurance for drunken poor hungry guys to get a snack on the way home by stealing and killing pet dogs. Several wonderful pets from ex gf's family disappeared this way. Live chickens would be tied by their legs upside down and peddled around on bikes by old ladies in the searing heat for hours. Never seen such cruelty as in the Philippines, and as a Catholic country it's pretty ironic. My Filipino friend, an avid catholic and has a good laugh at animal welfare, didn't like it when I pointed out this religious irony.

• Like 1

Ive eaten roof rabbit. Thats what she called it, skewered and cooked on charcoal. Thought she said just rabbit, then after she said "you want more roof rabbit."

I replied " Roof rabbit, <deleted> is roof rabbit"??......She proceeded to point to a cat!sick.gif

• Like 2

Had it offered to me in a village 50 kms north of NAN, same village had a farm for mutts to be eaten. If i remember i right it was about 270B for a fully ripe dog, but I guess the price has gone up as it was around 8 years ago.

Think the OP title should read

"Hands up anyone who has knowingly eaten dog"

There may be a few more fido munchers on here than you would think.............rolleyes.gif

Yep. If you've traveled throughout SE Asia for any length of time, you have almost certainly eaten dog.