Hands Up Anyone Who Has Eaten Dog

Phronesis

People passing off dog as other meats is one of the biggest farang myths about Asia.

Dog meat is a delicacy in many places, and costs more than pork or beef.

It also has a distinct taste -- there is no way it could be passed off as either of those meats, even if there were a financial benefit to doing so.

Finally, the thought of butchering and cooking a dog is utterly repulsive to 99% or more people in Thailand.

You can rest assured you will not be served dog meat unknowingly here.

• Like 2

HMC Vietnam a few years back.

I joked to my Vietnam host that I'd like to eat some. The next day we hopped on his motorbike and he took me to a bar/restaurant where men hang out to drink and eat dog. Couldn't back out so I ate a good amount. It was pretty fatty and salty as it was made to drink with the local spirits, but it wasn't too bad mixed with the sauces and vegetables.

Would I try it again?

Maybe only if it were a bit leaner and less salty.

If food shortages would be rampant, you best believe I'd eat my neighbor's dog...not to mention probably my neighbor (one way first, then the other way if she's a looker but not necessarily in that order).

People passing off dog as other meats is one of the biggest farang myths about Asia.

It also has a distinct taste -- there is no way it could be passed off as either of those meats, even if there were a financial benefit to doing so.

Finally, the thought of butchering and cooking a dog is utterly repulsive to 99% or more people in Thailand.

Well, there are a few other countries that make up SEA.

Well, there are a few other countries that make up SEA.

And the same is true in those cases about the cost of dog meat, and the taste.

It would be like someone in Japan trying to pass off whale meat as tuna. It just isn't going to happen.

Our neighbor's dog ate one of our chickens a while back and my uncle got into a heated discussion over it. In the end it was resolved by the uncle paying 200 baht to the neighbor and eating the dog. Never did like the dog so it was with great pleasure I tried some. The dog was as bitter and nasty bbq'd as he was when he was alive and chasing me.

My wife tells me she ate it once when she was 6 years old...I asked her how was it...she replied "a pet"! Not sure if she meant it was spicy or the family pet.

While back packing through Thailand in 1998 I think a few of our gang tried it in Sakhon Nakon. At least I think that is where we tried it. I'm willing to try most stuff and I'm not squeamish, but I've slowly learned that I like some things MUCH more than others. I try a little bit and go from there. Now I just stick with a few simple Thai meals that I enjoy and are nourishing.

I really find it surprising, I worked in animal rights for 7 years and Brits especially - because they usually have Fido waiting patiently at home to greet them - find the idea of eating a dog disgusting and abhorrent, while they're chowing down chicken, beef, pork and lamb at their local..

A cat is a dog is a pig is a chicken, just because SE Asia has dog on offer does not make it abhorrent - I'd not like to try it for the very reason above - but hey, if worst comes to the worst - I need to survive!

• Like 1

Speaking of cat, how many here have eaten cat? I have, but it was a rather large cat that is otherwise known as cougar.

I think that cat is difficult to distinguish from rabbit.

Pussy costs more, don`t have long ears and they purr when you stroke them.

Ive eaten roof rabbit. Thats what she called it, skewered and cooked on charcoal. Thought she said just rabbit, then after she said "you want more roof rabbit."

I replied " Roof rabbit, <deleted> is roof rabbit"??......She proceeded to point to a cat!sick.gif

Roof rabbit LOL, I won't forget this one thumbsup.gif

Ive eaten roof rabbit. Thats what she called it, skewered and cooked on charcoal. Thought she said just rabbit, then after she said "you want more roof rabbit."

I replied " Roof rabbit, <deleted> is roof rabbit"??......She proceeded to point to a cat!sick.gif

A foreman of mine ate it in N. Africa. He said it was delicious.

Ok...more confessions than I thought.

My girl tells me that there are gangs here in Thailand that take "pick list" type orders from overseas buyers and then roam around local streets look for pooches to steal and export in line with their customers' requirements.

If you had to select a breed from a menu, which one would you select and why?

Yep, would have to agree with your argument there.

Edited by chrisinth

Lived and worked in hanoi for 1 year and was sure i ate dog there

but thats the way it goes was in a fancy restaurant with work

colleagues and it was ordered i found out about a week later

Sorry, you must be mistaken. NewlyMintedThai says that's just not possible.

Lived and worked in hanoi for 1 year and was sure i ate dog there

but thats the way it goes was in a fancy restaurant with work

colleagues and it was ordered i found out about a week later

Sorry, you must be mistaken. NewlyMintedThai says that's just not possible.

He was unwittingly taken to a DOG RESTAURANT by his associates

He wasn't hoodwinked by an unscrupulous restaurant owner trying to pass off dog meat as beef or pork.

THAT is what I said wasn't going to happen.

Cheese and crackers!

dog, never. but i tried rats before, roasted actually. taste like a cheap man peking duck

Had rat once in Ho Chi Minh City and it was delicious, better than the dog there.

Eaten dog in Indonesia, Hanoi and Seoul, each place cooking it in a different style.

Indonesian dog was best as it was spicy, then Ha Noi, cooked in beer and lemongrass and in Seoul was still good as a type of stew,

It's not the weirdest thing I've eaten, goat's <deleted> anyone?

Ate Dog last year in Doi Maislong. Yes I knew what it was, and yes I wanted to try it.

I was told that the more pain a dog is in before it is killed the more aphodisiac the meat becomes.

I ate a small bowl full of meat from a dog and the best description of it is very close in text to mutton (aged lamb).

It has a stringy meat texture with a stong lamb/chicken leg after taste.

As it went you would eat it if Beef, Chicken , Pork or Lamb were on the menu and you certainly wouldnt confuse the taste with any regulary consumed meats.

TBH you would probably eat it by accident (if they were attempting to hoodwink you) and you would think it was "gone off" and not eat it.

I would not eat it again.

Edited by homeownership