Bangkok Taxi Passenger Dragged Out Of Car By Driver

webfact

There are many taxi drivers who only want to do local runs while others are looking for the longer trips. Be easier for both passengers and drivers a like if they had a flag or light on them to distinguish between the two. I think Hong Kong has different colored cabs depending on the area they cover but that seems rigid but would be nice to know at any given time by looking if a Taxi is looking for a long or short fare.

Edited by Nisa

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you get to know an area though it is easier to have a good idea where to get a cab to where you want to go. The cabs hanging out outside my condo or the shopping centers generally only want to stay local and if I am going somewhere further or off the beaten path I simply walk to the main road. At the bars late at night (unless you are going to an all night club they get a commission to take you) it is best just to walk past the taxis gathered and flag a cab down driving on the street. Honestly is just is not a problem getting a taxi here compared to just about anywhere else if you just use your head and not emotions ... even at BKK, just grab a taxi at arrivals if you don't want to stand in line and at DM just take the short walk to the main road where they are lined up to take you without any extra fee or lines. Some other things to consider ... at hotels in the morning they may take you anywhere in meter but most are looking for airport runs or Pattaya type trips and outside the BTS and MRT they also are usually looking for short trips (that 35 baht fee adds up). And for all those that complain about taxis not using the meter when it is to your disadvantage then you should also demand they charge you meter rates when going to Pattaya or other long distance runs where the official prices often posted inside the cab are considerably higher than what they are willing to take for the trip.

Beyond traffic being horrendous at times in the city -- it really is an incredibly easy and cheap city to get around. If getting from point A to point B in Bangkok is really that difficult or problematic for anybody then they either need to learn more or not be here because if getting around is a problem, I can only imagine how upsetting other things might be.

If you plan on being here then the first lesson to learn from the locals is to relax and not focus on the negative but rather the positive and learn to work with the system. Rather than being upset a taxi refused to take you somewhere, be grateful there is a plethora of very cheap taxis very close that will take you to your destination and if you demand a taxi be at the exit place you are leaving and ready to take you to your destination then simply call ahead for a taxi or pay a couple dollars extra ... nothing really to get worked up about but if you decide to go asking taxis parked at Soi 11 in the middle of the night to take you somewhere on meter as opposed to flagging down one on the street then it seems like either you haven't got familiar with things yet or just want to make your life difficult.

Edit: And avoid the old and torn up taxis ... in this case judging a book by its cover is usually correct.

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

Taxis play games with us so I play it with them....

I open the back left door and ask if they are willing to take me, when they refuse I gently shut the door so its not closed all the way and walk on

Its a serious stretch for them to reach the back left door to shut it rolleyes.gif

Have you ever thought that the guy you ask may be finishing his shift and honestly can't take you to you requested place?

Not all taxis driver play games, there are many hard-working honest drivers, many from Isarn, who work 12 hour shifts, 7 days a week of a pretty dismal salary.

It's hardly a wonder they think what they do of foreigners with this little trick you play.

MOst taxi drivers finishing their shifts, are generally heading back to the depot NOT cruising to pick up a last fare in the hope that the customer is conveniently headed in the same direction. The risk of fine from the company outweighs any normal fare, but one uninformed tourist forking out 300 THB for a short trip makes it worth the wait.

Where taxi drivers come from is irrelevant. I have met many nice taxi drivers and they're the ones who pick up every fare and are quite proud of the living they make (Enough money to pay off car, renovate house, put kids through college). Most of these guys net over 1000 THB a day for a normal shift - same as the vultures, only difference is that they are willing to WORK for their money.

What depot?

Nearly all of them have a 'ku', or pal that they share the car with. They can hand over anywhere, I thought.

Most of the ones I've talked to earn under 1000 baht a day, unless you're not taking the 500 baht or so that they pay to rent the car?

Nisa you are missing the point, Bangkok taxis use a meter to provide a service at a set price. If a cab is sat at the side of the road then this cab should be the same price as the ones you are saying to flag down.

These drivers are targeting tourists who don't know the real cost thus making it incredibly difficult for residents to get a taxi.

Do many residents want to stay in tourist areas like soi 11? I certainly don't.

• Like 1

Nisa you are missing the point, Bangkok taxis use a meter to provide a service at a set price. If a cab is sat at the side of the road then this cab should be the same price as the ones you are saying to flag down.

These drivers are targeting tourists who don't know the real cost thus making it incredibly difficult for residents to get a taxi.

The truth is that the VAST MAJORITY of people paying extra are doing it knowing darn well they are paying extra and make the choice to do so out of convenience. Give people a little credit who travel from another country to Bangkok and don't assume they don't understand what a metered taxi is or that they just up and went to Bangkok without any research what-so-ever like how taxis work here or how they will get around the city once here or from the airport. And if they did no such research and ended up at Soi 11 agreeing to pay $6 instead of $3 for a taxi then who is really to blame?

If these taxis not using their meter so radically upsets people then as I suggested earlier, they should also demand to pay meter prices when it is to their disadvantage such as heading down to Pattaya or Hua Hin. These same law and order folks need to demand they be taken to the police station and charged formally with minor offenses instead of paying a couple dollar fine on the spot. Life is not perfect anywhere but life can be so freaking simply here if people just stopped whining and instead accepted the way things work and realize how simple things can be if they just adapt.

Bottom line is I have no problem with these drivers as they don't bother me and nobody is forcing me to use them though sometimes I have actually chosen to. What they are doing in my mind is their business and the business of whom ever they make a deal with ... i would feel differently if they were inflating the price after the trip or forcing people to hand over their money but they are providing a service to people who are agreeing with the price up front. It is not a perfect world and never will be but just don't see how these folks should or are a problem to me or why anybody should be so upset by them.

Edited by Nisa

I will not get into the car until mia checks to see if the driver will go there. "Tell him expressway mai mee bpunhaa". I usually get turned down by two drivers per trip, and typically it's an older driver with a proper homage to the King adorning the cab. They usually have Creedence Clearwater on the CD player.. I bop my head in approval and sing along..and try to explain the meanings of songs to my wife. I then ask the cabbie if he has any Mor Lam..Skeptical eyes appear in the rear view mirror and a mystery CD appears from the secret box. When my wife and I get to where ever we are going...I give a substantial tip and have my wife tell the driver that I appreciated him allowing us to ride in his vehicle. There are a few good men in Thailand, but they are often tarnished by the usual ilk we deal with just to try to plow through the rot mun dtit.

Good post!

I have met these kind of drivers.They can' t believe it when ask where I come from and I say 'Khon Kaen, koi si mia bahn meu hoooo"(I'm going home the day after tomorrow)

Traffic jam is "rot dtit".

'rot mun dtit' means 'the traffic is stuck' or something like that.

Edited by Neeranam

MOst taxi drivers finishing their shifts, are generally heading back to the depot NOT cruising to pick up a last fare in the hope that the customer is conveniently headed in the same direction. The risk of fine from the company outweighs any normal fare, but one uninformed tourist forking out 300 THB for a short trip makes it worth the wait.

Where taxi drivers come from is irrelevant. I have met many nice taxi drivers and they're the ones who pick up every fare and are quite proud of the living they make (Enough money to pay off car, renovate house, put kids through college). Most of these guys net over 1000 THB a day for a normal shift - same as the vultures, only difference is that they are willing to WORK for their money.

What depot?

Nearly all of them have a 'ku', or pal that they share the car with. They can hand over anywhere, I thought.

Most of the ones I've talked to earn under 1000 baht a day, unless you're not taking the 500 baht or so that they pay to rent the car?

I always thought the large company owned ones pretty much run 24-hours a day unless being repaired or at least that would be the goal of the company. Other than that you can see them parked at drivers homes when not in use. I saw a link once that actually told you what colored taxis are what type in terms of being independent or not ... if I recall the Blue and Red taxis are rented and most of the other are owner operator but of course they often share their vehicle too. I tried to re-find the link but can't. Maybe somebody else can. It was pretty informative beyond just being able to identify types of taxis by color.

Do many residents want to stay in tourist areas like soi 11? I certainly don't.

Or like the op who work in the area.

The truth is that the VAST MAJORITY of people paying extra are doing it knowing darn well they are paying extra and make the choice to do so out of convenience. Give people a little credit who travel from another country to Bangkok and don't assume they don't understand what a metered taxi is or that they just up and went to Bangkok without any research what-so-ever like how taxis work here or how they will get around the city once here or from the airport. And if they did no such research and ended up at Soi 11 agreeing to pay $6 instead of $3 for a taxi then who is really to blame?

If these taxis not using their meter so radically upsets people then as I suggested earlier, they should also demand to pay meter prices when it is to their disadvantage such as heading down to Pattaya or Hua Hin. These same law and order folks need to demand they be taken to the police station and charged formally with minor offenses instead of paying a couple dollar fine on the spot. Life is not perfect anywhere but life can be so freaking simply here if people just stopped whining and instead accepted the way things work and realize how simple things can be if they just adapt.

Bottom line is I have no problem with these drivers as they don't bother me and nobody is forcing me to use them though sometimes I have actually chosen to. What they are doing in my mind is their business and the business of whom ever they make a deal with ... i would feel differently if they were inflating the price after the trip or forcing people to hand over their money but they are providing a service to people who are agreeing with the price up front. It is not a perfect world and never will be but just don't see how these folks should or are a problem to me or why anybody should be so upset by them.

I agree that its easy enough to get a taxi but it can sometimes take several attempts if you ask for the meter to be used. Yes tourists do know how taxis work but as soon as they work out the currency they think paying double or triple the fare is still cheap compared to their home country. This is not the point as they are "metered taxis" which means they should all be the same price.

Your argument about not using the meter for long journeys holds no water as the op is about a resident wanting to travel locally. If a taxi is parked up waiting for a fare it should use the meter, that is what the taxi owner agreed to when he went into business.

I agree that its easy enough to get a taxi but it can sometimes take several attempts if you ask for the meter to be used. Yes tourists do know how taxis work but as soon as they work out the currency they think paying double or triple the fare is still cheap compared to their home country. This is not the point as they are "metered taxis" which means they should all be the same price.

99% of the time taxis use the meter and it not being used brought up. The only time you find they try not to is at certain hours and/or outside certain places. During the day you can flag down a taxi just about anywhere they are not going to talk about not using the meter unless you are going out of town to where it is your advantage not to use the meter.

If a taxi is parked up waiting for a fare it should use the meter, that is what the taxi owner agreed to when he went into business.

In other words no discounts either? We should demand they use the meter on long trips down to the beach? Or is your only point that rules should be applied only when convenient to our advantage?

Nothing wrong with wishing the world and all its people were perfect or for those who dream of a world where every single rule is obeyed but having some people get so upset about having to walk up the street to grab a taxi that it causes them to lash out at a drivers by leaving doors open and such is a more serious problem people have than some near bottom of the social and economic chain service provider providing a service at a price people are willing to pay to help him provide better for his family even if it goes against the rules and doesn't harm anybody.

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 2

Our area in Bkk near the river used to be great; never a problem with taxi drivers other than the usual 30% or so refusing to take us due to whatever reason. Now a new shopping complex has opened and the taxi touts and tuk-tuks have turned up. In tandem the amount of taxis refusing fares has increased, as has the number attempting to take fares off the meter, especially in the evening.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

The rule is that meters must be used for trips within Bangkok province. Fares can be negotiated for longer journeys.

Do you have a link to verify this? I have heard people say this but have not seen this in any official rules or laws. Although I am sure a Taxi Driver can charge less than the meter if he chooses, according to the Land Traffic Act - Title 12 - Section 97 ... The passengers shall pay a fare according to the amount registered in the taxi meter ... don't see anything about being able to turn off a meter on a longer trip when it comes to a metered taxi.

Also have never seen any mention of this on the government set price placards in metered Taxis

Bangkok-taxi-meter-rate-card-Thaizer.jpg

http://www.thaizer.c...gkok-taxi-cost/

Edited by Nisa

99% of the time taxis use the meter and it not being used brought up.

What?

Never mind, can't be bothered sad.png

Unless you are a new to Bangkok and a novice when it comes to taxis here then it should be rare to come in contact with a metered taxi who refuses to use the meter unless this is what you are looking for. The chances of flagging down a moving taxi on the road who doesn't refuses to use the meter is slim. What is more common is them telling you no they won't go some where they don't want to go. If you choose to deal with the very small percentage, of the probably 150,000, metered taxis in Bangkok that are parked or trolling outside certain spots at certain times of the day then yea, you will find many that don't want to use the meter but still a very small percentage in terms of total taxis out there as well as how many fares are made daily on meter compared to the number that are not.

I guess we all see what we want to see and our experiences are based on these perceptions but I personally find there is an abundant number of taxis throughout the city that are not only very easy to hail and use but also at the very low metered rate. I know I am not alone in my thinking and why surveys of the best cities to take a taxi often list Bangkok as one of the top cities.

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

All the taxis in Bangkok I offered to play a flat rate (when I knew the average fare from point A to cool.png, insisted on turning on the meter. I was a little shocked at this at first, and always received the same reply when I inquired why. "It is not worth getting caught, and the police are very quick to pull over a taxi with a passenger and no fare light on." I was given the exact same reply the first 3 times I asked.

Perhaps things have changed a lot since I was last there in late 2011, but only the motor-bike taxis overcharged me. Maybe there was a crackdown going on at the time between July-Oct. 2011, because I never had a single problem with the taxis in Bangkok, all insisting the meter be on even for short rides. Other cities in Thailand, I found to be a lot different. I would never take a tuk tuk taxi in Patong, without an armed bodyguard.

I did notice though that only 50% of the drivers were the actual person pictured on the cab license.

I would imagine though that many drivers are under the illusion that foreigners tip higher than locals.

Edited by Canexpat

What?

Unless you are a new to Bangkok and a novice when it comes to taxis here then it should be rare to come in contact with a metered taxi who refuses to use the meter unless this is what you are looking for. The chances of flagging down a moving taxi on the road who doesn't refuses to use the meter is slim.

Again you have proved my point by saying "new to Bangkok", as they are usually tourists. Why should a flagged taxi with a meter be different from a stationary taxi?.

Is it because one is a resident and one as you say is a "novice"?.

What?

Unless you are a new to Bangkok and a novice when it comes to taxis here then it should be rare to come in contact with a metered taxi who refuses to use the meter unless this is what you are looking for. The chances of flagging down a moving taxi on the road who doesn't refuses to use the meter is slim.

Again you have proved my point by saying "new to Bangkok", as they are usually tourists. Why should a flagged taxi with a meter be different from a stationary taxi?.

Is it because one is a resident and one as you say is a "novice"?.

Coming in contact with somebody who refuses to use the meter is a whole heck of a lot different than somebody not knowing what a metered taxi is and how they work. Again give some people some credit who travel outside their home country to Bangkok. Agreeing to go off meter is a choice a tourist, expat or local can make not something that is forced. It is not like they are saying their meter is broken. Sure there are a few uninformed tourists but the VAST MAJORITY of people choosing to go off meter know they don't have to but are doing it out of convenience..

Nisa ''Coming in contact with somebody who refuses to use the meter is a whole heck of a lot different than somebody not knowing what a metered taxi is and how they work. Again give some people some credit who travel outside their home country to Bangkok. Agreeing to go off meter is a choice a tourist, expat or local can make not something that is forced. It is not like they are saying their meter is broken. Sure there are a few uninformed tourists but the VAST MAJORITY of people choosing to go off meter know they don't have to but are doing it out of convenience.''.

I suggest you know nothing about How Taxis operate in Bangkok, Lived here 5 years and I do.

Edited by KKvampire
  • Like 1

can we drag out also a taxi driver with max 1000 THB fine? I think in case he try make sight seeing instead to bring you from A - Z.

I live opposite Seacon Square ... the shortest and direct way to Udom Suk Skyline is UDOM SUK Rd.about 3 km. 70% of driver take a different way even I tell them where to go. So it make me 6 - 8 km, double fare and loose time smile.png this was one of few samples! I have impression more and more taxi driver get aggressiv and rude! For this only tip and good tip to the good one!

103 is a slow road that is often traffic jam after traffic jam. Going via the bang na - tradt is much quicker and more sensible.

Absolute nonsense. My Thai gf regularly gets quoted a set fare and we don't live in a tourist area! She is neither a novice or new to Bangkok.

In areas such as Pratunam (Indra Mall area) and outside MBK it is almost impossible to find a cab that will run the meter, stationary or otherwise.

Other areas such as Chatuchak market at the weekend, lower Sukhumvit, Silom Rd. near Patpong and many more are also areas where it is very difficult to find an honest driver.

• Like 1

Okay, let's play your game: sources, please!

Also you said before: we all see what we want to see, which seems to be especially true for you

I honestly think, that you don't get the point!

If I decide to become a taxi- driver, I agree to take passengers, according to (sometimes even unwritten) rules.

If I park my taxi, with the "free"- sign turned on- somewhere, I signal that I am willing to take a passenger.

Now: I am NOT a free- lance chauffeur or limo- driver. I am a TAXI- driver!

If I am a cook in a pizza- restaurant and there is a menu, that says "mushroom pizza 180 baht" and a customer orders that pizza, I might say "sorry, we are out of mushrooms", and that would not be a sign of good planning. But I can not say "you, madam pay 300 baht for that pizza" or "today , I don't feel like making mushroom- pizza".

Taxi drivers agree to certain deals in the mode of transport and they should be willing to provide that service accordingly!

And by the way: walking "a bit" and flagging "a few more" taxis...that is not the point, in getting a taxi!

There is a taxi coming, "free" -sign is on...that should be it!

Service- industry!

It has nothing to do with the area, the time of day or the way, someone wants to travel.

At least, it shouldn't!

Absolutely bang on the cash post IMO.

• Like 1

Your argument about not using the meter for long journeys holds no water as the op is about a resident wanting to travel locally. If a taxi is parked up waiting for a fare it should use the meter, that is what the taxi owner agreed to when he went into business.

These "but it's cheap in their currency" arguments are so infuriating. Like you say, it's besides the point. Would these tourists be happy going home and paying 25 - 30 Pounds from Hyde Park to Trafalgar Square?? I think not.

• Like 2

People talking about walking a bit to get another taxi and/or hailing a few more as being no great strife may be right to an extent but I think of being in the blazing heat or pouring rain with my 2 small children and shopping bags and dealing with that...something both my wife and I have experienced (imagine having your 6 year old shivering next to you and your infant strapped to your chest as the rain is dumping on you, and taxi after taxi just grunts rudely and waves you off when you name your destination).

But you will NEVER get anywhere with Nisa. He is impervious and unflagging!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Ah the fact that they even had a crackdown on taxi's refusing people shows that Thais (yes Thais not tourists) had a problem. But according to Nisa even the Thais are imagining things and he / she knows better. Its easier arguing with a stone you might have more results then with Nisa.

When offered to take a test, to prove her wrong or right it gets refused.

Too bad that like all crackdowns in this country it is not really followed up on.

• Like 2

Very true. Little in the way of a deterrent factor here. How about real justice? Felonious assault charges, 100,000 baht fine, and two years in prison. Think the word would get around that the toy police are getting serious about law enforcement? In a nanosecond!

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my Samsung SIII

Nisa ''Coming in contact with somebody who refuses to use the meter is a whole heck of a lot different than somebody not knowing what a metered taxi is and how they work. Again give some people some credit who travel outside their home country to Bangkok. Agreeing to go off meter is a choice a tourist, expat or local can make not something that is forced. It is not like they are saying their meter is broken. Sure there are a few uninformed tourists but the VAST MAJORITY of people choosing to go off meter know they don't have to but are doing it out of convenience.''.

I suggest you know nothing about How Taxis operate in Bangkok, Lived here 5 years and I do.

Interesting you claim to know so much but appear to haven't discovered or accepted how easy, convenient and cheap it is to use the taxis here and how there is a plethora of taxis on the street willing to take you to your destination at the metered rate.