Thailand Ranks Among The World's Best Places For North Americans To Retire

webfact

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems Americans have a pretty bad taste when it comes to places for retirement. Not surprising.

Americans have limited incomes! Most baby boomers will have no private pension and the current AVERAGE social security pension is about 1200 dollars per month. The vast majority of Americans over 50 don't even have 50K USD saved. Real estate values have plummeted. Get the picture? Money is number one.

Of course, naturally, for North Americans considering retirement abroad, the first place most will look is in the Americas.

Yep, relocating the burden of America's fiscally facile is shaping up as the next big sunrise industry.

• Like 1

I have never met another north american that had dreams of retiring in ecuador. That doesnt mean its not the best place to retire.

I have never thought about Ecuador in that context but would go back there any time.

Don't know much about Ecuador, but this is a pretty high travel warning. Two levels higher than Mexico.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/south-america/ecuador

Edited by F430murci

Spend your golden years in clean, wholesome Pattaya

I assume they are being sarcastic!

Pattaya is a charming delightful tropical beach resort. If all of Thailand was like Pattaya it would have scored the number 1 spot easily.

Do you also do stand up comedy?

I'd like to but I sometimes have difficulty with the standing up part. Anyway, there's too much competition in Pattaya from all the British former DJ's and comedians on the run from the Jimmy Savile enquiry.

• Like 1

I think the people that write this chit get their information from websites that say "Retire in Thailand for only $US500 per month!!!! I don't think any of them have ever actually tried living in these places.

I'll still give them a thumbs up for Ecuador. It's worth checking out unless someone's priority is bar girls. Even then a poor village girl anywhere in the world will like a farang. Ecuador has no minimum age requirement for retirement, $US1,000 income requirement, no visa runs or hassles, you can buy into the national health care system affordably and you can own land.

The girls have boobs.

Yes it's true that Ecuador also of course offers an income option for retirement status. But the UNUSUAL thing about Ecuador's program is that it offers a LOW bank account option AND a real estate ownership option (buy what you like, land houses farms businesses etc.) that works towards retirement status and even rather easy permanent residence status. I am not certain about the current medical insurance situation, I recall there was a recent change about that. A number of countries with retirement programs make it crystal clear you are REALLY welcome. Honestly, Thailand's does no such thing. We really invite ourselves here. (Yes, I prefer to be in Thailand NOW, so don't ask!) Edited by Jingthing

Behind Malaysia?

Absolutely. Far better infrastructure, law and order, nice people, far, far less corruption, and the fact that they were colonized means there is knowledge and awareness of the outside world! Way better educational standards, and english skills too. Maybe not as much fun, though.

• Like 2

I think that every man who visited pattaya at one point has thought about retiring in Pattaya. I just plan on visiting there allot when I do retire!

What about the thousands of Islands of the Philippines too? With tropical sunshine, silvery beaches, world-class diving and jungle adventures, the Philippines is seventh heaven for vacationers. But this Southeast Asian country also has retirement-haven credentials. For starters, it never gets cold. There’s no language barrier—its ever-smiling people speak English. Private health care is inexpensive and the Philippines is a popular destination for medical tourism. Dazzling white sands, Low living costs and inexpensive inter-island flights & No need to learn a foreign language

My God

The caption below the pic says

Who writes this stuff for Coconutz?

Have they been to Pattaya?

Give me a break.

Just in the PI in oct. hotels over priced for what you get the food really sucks, and if the english is so good why did my order always come out wrong. Yes nice beaches and all that stuff but for retirement doesn't even come close to Thailand.

What about the security situation? Any issues there? And the crappy food? Standard of living? I sure like the people, and Philippine men blow away thai men, on nearly every level. I basically ignore most thai men. Amazing how few thai friends I have. Doubt that would happen in the Philippines where the people are probably a lot more open minded?

• Like 2

hehehe :-) I guess Thailand (and Pattaya in particular) can expect to see a lot more geriatrics slowly limping along Beach Rd, pushing a walker with one hand & squeezing a tiny teen's bottom with the other hand.

You need two hands to puch a walker.whistling.gif

Not if you take a certain blue pill, I don't. :(

hehehe :-) I guess Thailand (and Pattaya in particular) can expect to see a lot more geriatrics slowly limping along Beach Rd, pushing a walker with one hand & squeezing a tiny teen's bottom with the other hand.

Not if you take a certain blue pill, I don't. sad.png

Haha, avatar thingy certainly approp.

• Like 2

"Spend your golden years in clean, wholesome Pattaya" I think someone is taking the p!ss.

If Thailand is 9th there must be some hell holes among the also rans.

• 90 day reporting
  • some of the most expensive automobiles on the planet
  • basic imported food as much as 1000% more expensive than in the country of origin
  • expensive wine, spirits etc
  • inability to own land
  • XXX???............
  • sure it's cheap if your diet consists of noodles, seafood (some) and some feline dirivatives

Edited by metisdead
There is no need to post using bold font, bold removed.

"Spend your golden years in clean, wholesome Pattaya" I think someone is taking the p!ss.

If Thailand is 9th there must be some hell holes among the also rans.

• 90 day reporting
  • some of the most expensive automobiles on the planet
  • basic imported food as much as 1000% more expensive than in the country of origin
  • expensive wine, spirits etc
  • inability to own land
  • XXX???............
  • sure it's cheap if your diet consists of noodles, seafood (some) and some feline dirivatives

• 90 day reporting Total time spent at immigration 1 hour per year.
  • some of the most expensive automobiles on the planet. I bought a great used Honda $6,000
  • basic imported food as much as 1000% more expensive than in the country of origin. Big coke 16 baht.
  • expensive wine, spirits etc. I don't drink. If I did Thai booze cheaper than coke.
  • inability to own land. Not for Americans.
  • XXX???............ Yes my gik is XXX biggrin.png
  • sure it's cheap if your diet consists of noodles, seafood (some) and some feline dirivatives. Nonsense

• Like 2

Thailand named ninth-best for retirees

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand ranks ninth in the world as a retirement haven, according to International Living.

The publisher of retirement-oriented magazines said that, compared with Malaysia, one of two Asian destinations in the top 10, Thailand was more attractive only in terms of climate. Its final score is 82.3 points, compared with Malaysia's 89.

Ecuador was No 1 with 91.9 points.

International Living's Retirement Index ranks destinations across eight crucial categories - real estate, special retirement benefits, cost of living, ease of integration, entertainment and amenities, healthcare, retirement infrastructure and climate.

Thailand follows Ecuador, Panama, Malaysia, Mexico, Costa Rica, Uruguay, Colombia and Spain.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-07

HMMM - Most of those countries allow foreigners to buy land. Perhaps a change in land lw would move Thailand up the scale...???
  • Like 1

And one to hold the beer. Need two nurses I guess.smile.png

Not if you mount a beerholder on to the walker.tongue.png

post-94947-0-06036600-1357609412_thumb.j

Edited by Skywalker69

What's not to love: Denegue, political unrest and instability, drug resistant malaria, high HIV rates, poor health care, visa uncertainties, cannot own land, scam always around the corner and cops that shake you down and always have their hand out.

Great place to visit for a fun time though, but most seem to retire and buy a place in Florida, Bahamas or Carribean for winters.

No one in their right mind would even visit Mexico or Columbia right now, much less retire there. Those destinations would seemingly be reserved only for those on the run from something or for the really desperate for cheap living and maybe chicks in Columbia. These places are a war zone and having means there will get you robbed, shaken down or kidnapped by Narcos and the cops.

Over 30,000 retirees live in Mexico. The entire country is not affected by drug gangs. I lived there before coming to Thailand and never had a problem with criminal elements or the police. As far as natural attractions Mexico has much more than Thailand. Mountains, beaches and great climate make it a nice place to live. I simply had seen everything worth seeing so came to Thailand.

These lists are generally useless.

Some list top-ten reasons, and at the top of the list would be something like "free admission to museums on alternate Thursdays."

I'm sure a lot of people would be attracted to the place just for that... blink.png

Was looking through google and there seems to be a lot of these lists all with different ratings. Ecuador is right up there tho on all the lists (1st) along with a number of Sth American countries. Thailand is from 9th to not even making the top 10 list. Yes Malaysia does rate better on all the lists I looked at.

Edited by chooka

There is one very important thing they forgot to mention in the article. It may not mean anything but in 2009 Thailand was rated Number 2 on the list, 3 years (37 months) later they have slipped to number 9. I guess with the boom in tourism there aren't any spare seats on the flights for the retirees to get here.rolleyes.gif

LMF'n ASSoff Mexico? Land of the headless people found daily? International Living is clueless beyond beLIEf and reality

Not so much in the Caribbean area of Mexico and other places as well. It's rather a large country and a massively important one.

The route up the Carribean side to Texas has been subjected to a very violent war between CDG and Zetas. Zetas are all the way down to the Yucatan now and it is very unwise for tourists to venture anywhere out of the Cancun beach area stretch and into or near Cancun.

Unforunately, the violence and Narco controlled territories has vastly spread in the last year or two and now the vast majority of Mexico is controlled by Narco cartels. Some of the interior areas were at one time immune to Narco violence. Thyese areas, however, are now under Narco control and the citizens are subject to shakedown or execution. There are three primary routes and these are subject to changes due to millitary patrols, but even more so by Narco wars. For instance, the Zetas, CJNG, Taliban, CDG, and Sinola cartels are all going after same routes. Zetas may regain control of squares in Tamaulipis, Zacatecas, or Veracruz. CDG may then respond by moving the route through Hidalgo which is apaprently the next big Zeta traget.

There are apparently now more than 80 Mexican drug cartels and Columbians cartels also have a big influence in Mexico. The situation has virtually spiraled out of control and there is basically no law or government in place in more than half of Mexico. The law and government in place is controlled by Cartels or they and their families are tortured and executed.

Rubbish !

"Spend your golden years in clean, wholesome Pattaya." <deleted>?

Pattaya can be whatever you want it to be.

Could it be free of scams, wall to wall prostitutes, dirty beaches and dirty looking overwieght shirtless elderly sex tourists groping teenage girlfriends in the streets. Somehow I don't think so, the toilet has already been flushed and it's floating down the pipes towards the open beaches.

Who writes this stuff for Coconutz?

Have they been to Pattaya?

Wow, the guy who wrote this line got the blowjob of his life.. w00t.gif (Maybe even in Soi Pattayaland.) bah.gif

He never even made it to the beach, but he was already very impressed of Pattaya. clap2.gif And the alc helped further to come up with a rubbish line like that. sick.gif

Edited by 007

I have never met another north american that had dreams of retiring in ecuador. That doesnt mean its not the best place to retire.

I have never thought about Ecuador in that context but would go back there any time.

Don't know much about Ecuador, but this is a pretty high travel warning. Two levels higher than Mexico.

http://www.fco.gov.u...america/ecuador

Yikes... I know the Brits are prone to panic a bit... tongue.png But that report on Ecuador from the UK Foreign Office makes Thailand, with all its flaws, sound like a paradise in comparison.

Spain is in a financial crisis, Columbia?? Uruguay is OK, Costa Rico has always been a expat attraction for the French and other Euro countries, Mexico?? Malaysia is simply Asia, Panama?? Ecuador I've been there 30 something years ago it was pretty awesome back then.

I think I'll stay where I am in the Land of Smilessmile.png