Overstay Charge Hiked To B500 A Day

Pure ripoff!

A fine has been increased for illegal activity in Thailand, how's that a rip off?

It's easy not to overstay, so just don't. And before anyone flames me, I'm no angel, I've had plenty of overstay before when the rules were less strict but it was all my own fault, and if I hadn't been so lazy could have not been in that situation at all.

So does that mean other people have to higher fines imposed on them?

Errmmm, no. :D

I do believe the message is that no one should overstay if they can avoid it. :o

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

move the fine up to 1000 baht. who cares. i dont really see any reason why u would overstay more then 1 day... due to miscalculation. anyone who does go over that day is either lazy or just dumb and doesnt care. hel_l they should put the limit to only 1 week and throw them in jail after that. i just thought the 200 baht a day was so cheap for breaking the law. so good for them to raise the fine.

And are you living here or just a bloody tourist???

Sometimes you can arange everything and airplanes donot go. In my case, mechanical problem, in my oppinion they just cancelled the flight.

And just because a fat Thai airways manager decides to cancel a flight during his diner you should miss international flights/visum expiries???

Ok, in case this happens to any of you a few hints. Almost all airlines keep seats for emergencies. In case in stages further to endpoint seats are needed.

So while you may not be able to get a seat Had Yai to Bangkok, you May be able to fly Had yai to Phuket, run out, run back and go on with ticket to Bangkok. AT least 12 chinese on vacation got stuck in Had Yai, destination BKK, I was the only one who made it...

Similar, I arive Had Yai and they say flight has problems. I had chat with lady and told her, all I want is go Phuket. You have flight BKK?? send me back to Phuket... They did. Empty seats obviously BUT important thing is they are always willng to help but as passenger it helps if you think and not complain. Means one potential complaint less and they can tell their boss they got rid of so many problem travelers. If it means that they look good for accepting the customers suggestion who minds, I wanted to get HOME.

JAP-FRIES

you seem to be man of pretty low esteem , just the type of person refered to I assume !!!

did i touch a raw nerve,-which catagory applies to you , ?

I am aware any person could be arrested if caught before reaching the airport if over stayed by even 1 day, [at least thats the theory]----

is it proper that a persons views be attacked in this childish manner, ?

referances to german nationals shows contempt or any kind of decent respect ,

I stand by my words, infact your reply reinforce's what i said about certain types of people ,

if you havent got anything intelligent to contribute then best you dont embarrass your self

==============================================================

Arrogance will get you anywhere . . . . .

anyway;

You say that you are aware that any person could be arrested if caught before reaching the airport if over stayed by even 1 day, [at least thats the theory]

- - - - - - and in the same text you're advising ME not to embarrass myself ? ? ? ? ?

You're right about one thing though; I am certainly a man with a very low esteem; for some !

You overstay one day and passport gets checked, yes, they can lock you up and considering the way you write you likely WILL be.

I likely wouldnt as I have local friends due to being here 20 years BUT you think I would ask my Thai friends to sort out something THIS stupid???

Sorry I may have missed the other part of the argument, just do that off list please. Jaap Fries, Ben jij Nederlander??

Pure ripoff!

A fine has been increased for illegal activity in Thailand, how's that a rip off?

It's easy not to overstay, so just don't. And before anyone flames me, I'm no angel, I've had plenty of overstay before when the rules were less strict but it was all my own fault, and if I hadn't been so lazy could have not been in that situation at all.

I do believe the message is that no one should overstay if they can avoid it. :o

I was talking about the overstay charge being imposed on people at a higher price because of criminals... :D

Edited by lopburiguy

move the fine up to 1000 baht. who cares. i dont really see any reason why u would overstay more then 1 day... due to miscalculation. anyone who does go over that day is either lazy or just dumb and doesnt care. hel_l they should put the limit to only 1 week and throw them in jail after that. i just thought the 200 baht a day was so cheap for breaking the law. so good for them to raise the fine.

And are you living here or just a bloody tourist???

Sometimes you can arange everything and airplanes donot go. In my case, mechanical problem, in my oppinion they just cancelled the flight.

And just because a fat Thai airways manager decides to cancel a flight during his diner you should miss international flights/visum expiries???

Ok, in case this happens to any of you a few hints. Almost all airlines keep seats for emergencies. In case in stages further to endpoint seats are needed.

So while you may not be able to get a seat Had Yai to Bangkok, you May be able to fly Had yai to Phuket, run out, run back and go on with ticket to Bangkok. AT least 12 chinese on vacation got stuck in Had Yai, destination BKK, I was the only one who made it...

Similar, I arive Had Yai and they say flight has problems. I had chat with lady and told her, all I want is go Phuket. You have flight BKK?? send me back to Phuket... They did. Empty seats obviously BUT important thing is they are always willng to help but as passenger it helps if you think and not complain. Means one potential complaint less and they can tell their boss they got rid of so many problem travelers. If it means that they look good for accepting the customers suggestion who minds, I wanted to get HOME.

JAP-FRIES

you seem to be man of pretty low esteem , just the type of person refered to I assume !!!

did i touch a raw nerve,-which catagory applies to you , ?

I am aware any person could be arrested if caught before reaching the airport if over stayed by even 1 day, [at least thats the theory]----

is it proper that a persons views be attacked in this childish manner, ?

referances to german nationals shows contempt or any kind of decent respect ,

I stand by my words, infact your reply reinforce's what i said about certain types of people ,

if you havent got anything intelligent to contribute then best you dont embarrass your self

==============================================================

Arrogance will get you anywhere . . . . .

anyway;

You say that you are aware that any person could be arrested if caught before reaching the airport if over stayed by even 1 day, [at least thats the theory]

- - - - - - and in the same text you're advising ME not to embarrass myself ? ? ? ? ?

You're right about one thing though; I am certainly a man with a very low esteem; for some !

You overstay one day and passport gets checked, yes, they can lock you up and considering the way you write you likely WILL be.

I likely wouldnt as I have local friends due to being here 20 years BUT you think I would ask my Thai friends to sort out something THIS stupid???

Sorry I may have missed the other part of the argument, just do that off list please. Jaap Fries, Ben jij Nederlander??

Been an interesting thread, I would hate to see what would happen if you guys were really wronged. This one sure has turned into a mountain. Maybe the best answer would be to look elsewhere, if your not happy with the system, until you find one that you are happy with. Here is a gentle hint Equador is much easier to deal with then the Thais. I hear that from time to time they even get some pretty girls over from Colombia, seem it's a bit rough living there with the drug lords, so they escape. Give that one a try and let us know how it goes. I'm sure they never enforce thier immigration laws, should be great.

Perhaps VoAs should be abandoned and all people wishing to visit the Kingdom of Thailand be required to apply for the correct visa BEFORE coming to the country. THAT would cut out alot of the TRASH that washes up here.

Perhaps you should consider the potential negative impact for the Thai economy as regards genuine tourists, the majority of whom probably only stay for two or three weeks?

I suspect many might be put off by the full visa application process.

Lets be honest, tourists normally stay for 2 weeks, maybe 3 and in exceptional cases, you arent a normal tourist so get a visum and plan properly. I have been here 20 years and overstayed twice, once by a month but I had hospital papers and in addition when a half drunken English guy tried to convince them he was right while they had the printouts in front of them, he asked me what I thought... I told him the truth.

They got a bloody good computer!!!

Second time was one day and I was on the way to Kolok. Thats a border destination but they arent checking busses as they are so overbooked they Are only usable Phuket/Kolok, endpoint endpoint.

Anyway, it took the guy 30 minutes to do it by hand and yes, I appologised, gave him a 100 baht tip for the paperwork and paid the fine... No complaints.

You think this guy LIKES to fill these school books in who overstays?? He is likely to prefer to shoot any farang...

Been an interesting thread, I would hate to see what would happen if you guys were really wronged. This one sure has turned into a mountain. Maybe the best answer would be to look elsewhere, if your not happy with the system, until you find one that you are happy with. Here is a gentle hint Equador is much easier to deal with then the Thais. I hear that from time to time they even get some pretty girls over from Colombia, seem it's a bit rough living there with the drug lords, so they escape. Give that one a try and let us know how it goes. I'm sure they never enforce thier immigration laws, should be great.

EOQ

Not much, I just got my year renewal and if possible I donot travel. Afterall I have to pay 1900 baht to reentry!!! I have been here for 20 years...

I live here but as I said elsewhere, I overstayed 2 times in 20 years, one due to motorbike accident, once 1 day. If however you go immigration Bangkok and hear all the crap farangs try to avoid being grabbed, no wonder immigration gets a headache of us.. That computer knows when you got the visum, what visum, how long etc etc.

Costa Rica is better by the way... I didnt accept the work as they wanted me to go to Montreal in middle of winter...

Offer me enough and I likely could write a program to grab 90% of illegal staying/working farangs here in a few days work... They have a good computer but donot use it properly.

Your comment is crazy. I used to travel in and out of Thailand on business all the time and there where several times I overstayed by a few days. No due to being lazy or dumb, just to that fact tha the equipment I was installing took longer than expected and then trying to change flights and no seats etc. So it is possible for a person to over stay 2 or 3 days not becuase they are dumb or lazy. back then (1996) I had no idea about running to Cambdia for an extension, and even if I did no way could I leave a job site to do so when my company is being charged $500 USD per day for delays. Therefore before you make such a comment I would think 1st.

...are you suggesting you were working without a work permit? :o

Pure ripoff!

I was talking about the overstay charge being imposed on people at a higher price because of criminals... :D

As soon as those people overstay, then they also become the criminals.

Lets be honest, there's not often a situation when people overstay through any fault other than there own. And if there are circumstances (such as sickness) which means you can not get across the border then pay a visit to immigration in Bangkok and they will often sort you out with an extension.

Its very easy to avoid overstay, so why all the whinging about it?

Much like with the visa-fee increases a few years back, these things are not reviewed periodically and increased gradually over time. Once the powers-that-be finally do decide to take action on some of these fees, the increases tend be whopping with the logic that the item in-question hasn't been increased in x-number of years.

You should get a job with Mr Toxin Mr Perfect

Pure ripoff!

As soon as those people overstay, then they also become the criminals.

Lets be honest, there's not often a situation when people overstay through any fault other than there own. And if there are circumstances (such as sickness) which means you can not get across the border then pay a visit to immigration in Bangkok and they will often sort you out with an extension.

Its very easy to avoid overstay, so why all the whinging about it?

I agree people make this more complicated than it really is!! :D

This is hardly big money for the 1 year visa, if a person can't pony up with this, are they really making a significant impact on the economy here?}

STEVERO MANDINO -

-----YOU ARE ON THE BALL, i AGREE WITH EVERY THING YOU WROTE,

I have noticed over years that in the main the over stayers -are generally the lazy malingerers that blight THailand ,and give the decent falangs a bad name, Take a look around and see the large amount of westerners that live off their own countries social security systems,{benefit scroungers}

Pattaya is a haven for the Riff Raff of the world because of its easy going lack of enforceing its laws

I have over the years witnessed guys that live in dirty single rooms paying thai rents -and living like refugee's- theses are the ones that the Taksin government wants out , because they contribute NILE to to the Thai economy -,they are attracted to Thailand by the -sun -sea and BEER,And of course if they can ever remember through the fog of alcohol, SEX-which was probably the original motive to live in Thailand,

Also I have noted after my own observation's ;and after speaking with hundreds of ex pat's over the years that Pattaya is a magnet for peadophiles , particulary in the soi sunnee area -where these sicko's congregate together oblivious to their pathetic existence and perverted life styles, Thaksin needs to get these haven's stripped out also,and rid thailand of it's world renown image,the reason i mention this place is that because the amount of over stayer's in and around sunnee is at a very high percentage rate,many are in the retiree age bracket and live like bums-for i assume the reason they cannot or will not drag themselves away from the young kids they prey on,

the bonafide retirees [over 65s]----as was so rightly said by Stevero-would have to be brain dead to ignore the laws regarding over stay, I think its Right to ensure that a certain level of money is Maintained deposited in thai Bank account, after all these are the people who can afford to buy homes and live the life style you would expect people in this catergory to maintain with out having to flout the law,

I have over stayed on several occations , however its been part of my plan always , I obtain a double entry Visa in my country before I leave home and then I over stay generally about 10 days -my reason and thinking is that its less hassle than standing in lines at a visa office ,

To me over stay costs have been no problem monatory wise, however I think now that the charge has more than doubled , I shall change my stratagy and perhapes either go home a few days earlier -or add the 10 days ,

I think overstayer's rate should be 1000 a day and no limit of 20000 ,

And to add I think its reasonable fopr the Thai's to increase the departure Tax from 500 baht to 1000, ---this tax has remained at the same rate since I first visited 9 years Ago and should rise with inflation,

?????????????????????????????????

Absolutely hilarious - you say you have observed pedophiles and yet you have not reported them to save the children they prey upon - you are just as guilty my friend

You put down people for certain abberations such as overstray then admit you overstay yourself deliberately and with malice aforthought - as guilty again of being a criminal as it is breaking the law and you actually plan this.

Now I do know there will be benefit scroungers in Pattaya and elsewhere but they are not really living the life of Riley - what is Incapacity Benefit say in the UK - something like 80GBP - now I agree they should not get it as they do not qualify if they are in Thailand but I would rather be anywhere else than trying to survive/exist on 80 quid in Thailand thank you

I have noticed over years that in the main the over stayers -are generally the lazy malingerers that blight THailand ,and give the decent falangs a bad name,

I have over stayed on several occations , however its been part of my plan always ,

As Trink would have said, any comment would be superfluous. :D

:o

:D

Obviously I'm not Trink as my additional comment would be I don't think I've seen a more

self-damaging post ever. To blast a group at the opening of a post and then finish the post admitting you do the same thing as the people you blast....

Terrific move there, Mr. Sydney..... hahahahahaha

:D

You know, I am appalled at how every news item posted on this site immediately draws a knee-jerk outpouring of cynicism, negativity, paranoia, bitterness, hostility and out-and-out ignorance. There doesn’t seem to be any topic under the sun that some moaners here can’t interpret as some form of attack upon them, or more disingenuously, as an attack on the tourist industry which they laughably claim to be part of; as if living here permanently and doing monthly border runs constituted the definition of tourism. Thai Immigration enact a trivial change in the law and off these people go like dogs out the gate. It’s an attack on tourists! A personal vendetta promulgated by Prime Minister against farangs. They’re doing it to make money out of us! Guys, get real. These opinions are absurd and are expressed by people who have completely lost sight of how lucky we are to be allowed to live in this country. This is the great irony, lost on the moaners: It is precisely because we farangs get treated so well here that we can even have this discussion. Precisely because the offence of overstaying has been treated so leniently that some people have come to regard it as their right. Do they ever stop to think about the shameful way our embassies treat Thai people applying for a visa? The girls, especially - subjected to humiliating, intrusive, insolent cross-examinations in which the subtext is the insinuation that she a prostitute. It’s deeply insulting to the Thais and you couldn’t blame them for responding in kind, but they don’t. They continue to extend to us the most relaxed visa and residency system anywhere in the world and permit hordes of us to live here for years on a tourist visa. And all they ask in return is we obey the rules. But even that seems beyond the ability of some of the respondents to this forum.

I don’t believe the Thai authorities are prosecuting any particular vendetta against farangs. I don’t believe they greatly care. But if they read the comments in these forums and others like them, they might feel like starting one. The never-ending chorus of bile and indignant outrage at every action the government takes must surely count as the grossest display of ingratitude to be found anywhere on the planet. Do you think it would be possible for us to take stock and maybe moderate things a bit? To temper our attitude with a dose of humility? Count your blessings guys, it’s clearly a wonderful country for all its faults or you wouldn’t be here.

Well said. :o

sriracha john - you maintain a continuously high standard , it makes your posts worth reading. :D

3-4 lines in the phuket gazette and then basically 7 pages of rants on thaivisa - I suppose , to be expected ?

Has this rule change been confirmed by any other sources ? or could it be just one of the standard mis -interpretations that seem to be common.

Gosh... are you sure you got the right guy? :o

Seriously though.... thank you for the compliment. :D

and yes... I did sort of expect the dozens of responses to the little blurb that started it off.

As for confirming, it does seem to be true. The OP of http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=61037&hl= reports signs already up at Pattaya Immigration.

Also, Immigration's website has a notice on the same issue... unfortunately, I'm illiterate in Thai reading and would like someone more brighter than myself to help us if they would. I've asked of this twice already, but like waiting in line at the post office, sometimes it takes time.

Thanks again for your generous words... :D

** slips stumonster a red baht note under the table **

Mr Sydney must be one of the good and decent type of overstayers that don't give farangs a bad name! :D

I think this new fine has probably been increased to encourage the likes of you not be so blase with the Thai laws. :o

Well nailed Ovenman! :D

snip

Well said. :D

I agree, top post, well done that man. :D

This rising in overstay fine should not effect anyone who abides by the laws of this country.

I can only assume that the most verbal complainers on this topic are regular overstayers who simply cannot afford to keep that illegal habit up. :D

You think this guy LIKES to fill these school books in who overstays?? He is likely to prefer to shoot any farang...

I truly love this:- Remember in Chiang Mai airport in the 90's when the immigration cop shot the Italian tourists?.

Cos' his missus had legged it a foreign chap and he felt a bit hacked off about the scenario.

So, shoot a few 'farang'.

Gosh the government at the time were splendid - they 'waived' the hospital costs.

Wasn't that nice of them?.

yen-dee, yen-dee

I truly love this:- Remember in Chiang Mai airport in the 90's when the immigration cop shot the Italian tourists?.

Cos' his missus had legged it a foreign chap and he felt a bit hacked off about the scenario.

So, shoot a few 'farang'.

Gosh the government at the time were splendid - they 'waived' the hospital costs.

Wasn't that nice of them?.

yen-dee, yen-dee

Is it really that long ago?

99?

I have no sympathy for overstayers but the gouvernement go to far they are on the way to distroy all ,when a foreiner stay in Thailand he spend a lot every day and that is positif for Thailand most of the foreiners spent his money from abroad ,please we are no MILKCOWS and we have not a tree with Dollars VISA 1900 Bath and so on :o

Hey, we are guests

We are PAYING guests...

Some paying lots less than others :o

C'mon doc, lets in on the secret as to how we can get to pay less !!

Haven't you seen the walking class, visaless, poverty packers, bereft of funds that wander across borders every month ? Living on the bones of their asses :D They'd be big assets around the Kingdom. :D

I can't see what's the problem with these visas everytime here.

Gee, the government allows me to have a triple entry visa as a tourist and to ask an exstension every time the entry expires, So i can stay here a total of 9 months. Once this Visa expires I can go to Penang and apply for another one.

This is their freaking law.

I can do it again and again and again and again till they decide to stop me..... this is their law!!!!

So why some people here keeps telling , you should apply for a proper visa, like I am some sort of thief, stealing this country?

Are you telling me they are not aware of this, and I'm exploiting them? yeah sure.

Gee, the government allows me to have a triple entry visa as a tourist and to ask an extension every time the entry expires, So i can stay here a total of 9 months. Once this Visa expires I can go to Penang and apply for another one.

I can do it again and again and again and again till they decide to stop me..... this is their law!!!!

So why some people here keeps telling , you should apply for a proper visa, like I am some sort of thief, stealing this country?

Are you telling me they are not aware of this, and I'm exploiting them? yeah sure.

If you are indeed here as a tourist then that visa would be proper. If you are not a tourist then it would not be proper. You are the person attesting you are a tourist when you apply for the visa and signing that form.

Gee, the government allows me to have a triple entry visa as a tourist and to ask an exstension every time the entry expires, So i can stay here a total of 9 months. Once this Visa expires I can go to Penang and apply for another one.

Have you done that before? I'm not sure if thats correct that you can get one month extensions on all three entrys of a tourist visa. :o

I could be wrong, but you might want to check that if you haven't tried it before.

Gee, the government allows me to have a triple entry visa as a tourist and to ask an exstension every time the entry expires, So i can stay here a total of 9 months.

Have you done that before? I'm not sure if thats correct that you can get one month extensions on all three entrys of a tourist visa. :o

yup, it is correct : I was told this twice by the official giving me my triple entry tourist visa, and I extended 2 of these entries without trouble...

Gee, the government allows me to have a triple entry visa as a tourist and to ask an extension every time the entry expires, So i can stay here a total of 9 months. Once this Visa expires I can go to Penang and apply for another one.

If you are indeed here as a tourist then that visa would be proper. If you are not a tourist then it would not be proper. You are the person attesting you are a tourist when you apply for the visa and signing that form.

Ok, I'm here as a tourist, a five year touris lol. Is that ok?

I don't work here. I just spend my time and my money around.

They told me it is fine, and they confirmed me by renewing my visa.

Gee, the government allows me to have a triple entry visa as a tourist and to ask an exstension every time the entry expires, So i can stay here a total of 9 months.

yup, it is correct : I was told this twice by the official giving me my triple entry tourist visa, and I extended 2 of these entries without trouble...

Yup no prob at all.