Overstay Charge Hiked To B500 A Day

a tourist visa designates the holder as a "tourist". they are as legal as any other visa classification, and,as long as applied for and granted by a bona fide thai embassy or consulate, no matter how many consecutive times granted, the holder is legally a tourist. and "bona fide"one at that, no matter who may be jealous of your position.

I quite agree, provided of course the visa holder does not work.

However, over recent times it has become increasing difficult to get consecutive Tourist Visas at certain Consulates.

Penang continues to be the most relaxed it would appear, but they certainly do monitor the number of consecutive Tourist Visas in an applicant's passport (even if the previous Tourist Visas were issued at different Consulates) as witnessed by their stamp below:

post-3455-1141268708_thumb.jpg

I've never seen this stamp before. Is it used only in Penang?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a tourist visa designates the holder as a "tourist". they are as legal as any other visa classification, and,as long as applied for and granted by a bona fide thai embassy or consulate, no matter how many consecutive times granted, the holder is legally a tourist. and "bona fide"one at that, no matter who may be jealous of your position.

I quite agree, provided of course the visa holder does not work.

However, over recent times it has become increasing difficult to get consecutive Tourist Visas at certain Consulates.

Penang continues to be the most relaxed it would appear, but they certainly do monitor the number of consecutive Tourist Visas in an applicant's passport (even if the previous Tourist Visas were issued at different Consulates) as witnessed by their stamp below:

post-3455-1141268708_thumb.jpg

I've never seen this stamp before. Is it used only in Penang?

No, also the Vientienne, Laos office stamps passports with it...

rather inconsistently, I would add, eg. some folks who have received 2 back to back tourist visas get stamped... others with 4, don't... :o

The only way to get the law changed is if you go camp outside the Minsitry of Foreign Affairs. Another disenfranchised part of the community - the poor issan farmers- do it all the time. They simply set up a village in car park of the relevant ministry and bide their time.

What you fellas need to do is get all you voting GF's/Wives to go set up camp there for a few months down there on Rama VI and you'll have your all your problems sorted. You'll really see how much your better halves actually want you around then.

The only way to get the law changed is if you go camp outside the Minsitry of Foreign Affairs. Another disenfranchised part of the community - the poor issan farmers- do it all the time. They simply set up a village in car park of the relevant ministry and bide their time.

What you fellas need to do is get all you voting GF's/Wives to go set up camp there for a few months down there on Rama VI and you'll have your all your problems sorted. You'll really see how much your better halves actually want you around then.

MFA headquarters are on Chaeng Watthana Road in Pak Kret, if I'm not mistaken. :D

Sounds like the beginnings of the next Thaivisa Pissup Party?... say perhaps, April 2nd? :o

Camp out in tents and party and make the demands of the membership (some anyway) known to the powers that be. Make demands quickly though... before excessive drinking blurs the memory of why they are there. :D

The rally leaders could be the "Ranong 12"... :D

MFA headquarters are on Chaeng Watthana Road in Pak Kret, if I'm not mistaken. :D

Sounds like the beginnings of the next Thaivisa Pissup Party?... say perhaps, April 2nd? :o

Camp out in tents and party and make the demands of the membership (some anyway) known to the powers that be. Make demands quickly though... before excessive drinking blurs the memory of why they are there. :D

The rally leaders could be the "Ranong 12"... :D

:D:D

:o

Just out of curoisty was that an apology or a way to anger me?

Your intent real intent doesn't seem to be clear. But you see one of things about being it takes a whole lot more these days to piss me off :D

MFA headquarters are on Chaeng Watthana Road in Pak Kret, if I'm not mistaken. :o

Your thinking of the Department of Consular affairs. Deals with Passports, legalisations and the like.

The actual Ministry itself (and the real power) is on Rama VI, on the left going north, closer to all those gem shops.

Your thinking of the Department of Consular affairs. Deals with Passports, legalisations and the like.

The actual Ministry itself (and the real power) is on Rama VI, on the left going north, closer to all those gem shops.

ahh... thank you... :D

I WAS wrong... (that's a first) :o

too bad, really... they have a nice big lot there which would be perfect for the Loso/Carabao rally concert stage... portable toilets... beer trucks with Heineken Girls... with plenty of left over room for many som tam/moo yang sellers (or Pizza Hut delivery motorcycles to offload, depending on your tastes).

what are the facilities like at the other place? much free space available?

it very unfortunate that "some" consulate officials seem to be deciding on there own, who should and should not receive visas. applying is the first step in the legal process. i hope this situation does not deteriorate much farther. of course, the answer may be as easy as going farther afield to apply the visa.

it very unfortunate that "some" consulate officials seem to be deciding on there own, who should and should not receive visas. applying is the first step in the legal process. i hope this situation does not deteriorate much farther. of course, the answer may be as easy as going farther afield to apply the visa.

The down side I see here trying to comply with the law is that some immigration officers decide to write their on laws. In those cases you have to pick the officer you deal with or be ready to go over his head. teh problem became so significant in Nong Kia, that there is a sign there now that says if you feel you are being treated unfrairly ask to see the commander. There is alo a sign stating that do not accept bribes, don't know why that one is there. At Nong Kia these days if yo follow the law file the proper documents, there seems to be very litttle problem. Don't follow the instructions and you will have problems. Don't think you could ask for much more.

i think the thai regulations are probably ok. it's the individual consular official that sometimes seems to be taking things into his own train of thought. obtaining single or multiple tourist visa entries is permitted by the law, and for some consulates to deny these, without "good legal reasons" is wrong. added to that, a stamp, which somehow states you as "maybe ineligible" next time, is bizarre.

is permitted by the law

Permitted (not mandated) is the criteria and the Consular officer has full legal authority to permit or not permit (and this is true of all countries). As for the stamp that you will not receive another it means the official is giving you a break this time (although he does not believe your qualification) but not to try it again at his office.

Permitted (not mandated) is the criteria and the Consular officer has full legal authority to permit or not permit (and this is true of all countries). As for the stamp that you will not receive another it means the official is giving you a break this time (although he does not believe your qualification) but not to try it again at his office.

Absolutely Lop. What many people fail to understand is that you are not ENTITLED to any form of visa or entry stamp. The immigration officer has the final say as to whether you enter, even if you have a valid visa. UK is the same. Always pays to be reasonably dressed and NICE to the man / lady, a smile works wonders :o

Here is some good advice from the Canadian Govt Website.

8. ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS

It is the sole prerogative of each country to determine who is allowed to enter. All countries have special requirements for persons intending to reside for extended periods (usually more than 90 days) or who plan to work, study, or engage in non-tourist activities. To obtain information on specific entry requirements, contact the nearest diplomatic or consular office of the country or countries to be visited. Conditions are subject to change.

Selling, altering, or allowing another person to use your passport is a criminal offence. It could lead to the laying of charges and imprisonment if convicted. It could also lead to the denial of future passport services.

Any adult travelling with children may be required to show evidence of parental/custodial and/or access rights. Foreign and Canadian authorities may also require evidence that the adult has the consent of the parents, legal guardian, and/or the court to travel with the children. Some countries may not permit children to enter or, in some cases, leave the country without proper documentation such as a letter of consent or a court order.

A valid Canadian passport is required for Canadians intending to visit Thailand. The passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the date of your expected departure from the country. An onward or return ticket is also required.

Canadian tourists may enter Thailand for a period of 30 days without a visa. A visa is required for longer stays. Travellers must obtain 30-day entry stamps themselves from an immigration officer at a point of entry into Thailand. If you require a new entry stamp in your passport, you must pass through the immigration checkpoint in person; it is illegal for someone else to do this on your behalf. Visas must be obtained from Thai embassies or consulates. Visas, visa extensions, or entry stamps issued through visa shops or travel agents in Thailand should be avoided. Canadians are regularly apprehended for having improper Thai visas or entry and exit stamps inserted into their passports. Moreover, a passport that has been altered or that contains counterfeit visas and entry/exit stamps is technically invalid. Offenders can expect jail sentences, fines, and/or deportation and may also be prohibited from entering Thailand in the future. It is illegal to work on a tourist visa.

Overstaying your visa is considered an offence under Thai law. It will result in a fine of 200 baht per day and can also lead to detention and deportation. Foreigners are permitted to stay only up to the date indicated on the Thai entry stamp, regardless of the date indicated on a Thai visa. The Royal Thai Police have increased their random checks of foreigners, and Canadians found to have overstayed their visas have been arrested.

Canadians transiting via Singapore or Hong Kong for Thailand will not be permitted to board connecting flights without a six-month validity period remaining on their passports.

Tourist Visa: Not required (for stays less than 30 days)

Business Visa: Required

Student Visa: Required

Working Visa: Required

Special and diplomatic passport holders should verify visa requirements for this and other countries, as they may differ from those that apply to regular passport holders.

An airport tax of 500 baht is required upon departure.

the whole purpose of the "classification" tourist is to deny permission to work. it also limits the individual to a 2 month stay, with the "possibility" of a 1 month extension. in no case over 90 days per entry. if, as some seem to assert, it should be taken for granted that continuious "tourist" status equals a law abusing status, then maybe immigration needs to decide how many entries a individual is entitled to in their lifetime. if on the other hand,sanity prevails, then those who do not abuse their visa classification should be welcomed and encouraged to continue their application process.

I recently did a visa run to Cambodia (a 1 day jobby). One of us was fined B200 because his visa ran out at the end of that day! Because I was going to Koh Samet for the days around my visa's end (for my birthday), I had gone to the border 9 days early (not wanting to risk running over). Unfortunately, they wouldn't add those 9 days on to my next 60 days entry. I feel like I've been robbed of 9 days for being careful!!

So, does this mean that we have to time it so that we arrive at the border exactly a day before our visa runs out each time (and lose a day in the process) - otherwise we will lose more days or be given a fine??????

NOT HAPPY! :o

I recently did a visa run to Cambodia (a 1 day jobby). One of us was fined B200 because his visa ran out at the end of that day! Because I was going to Koh Samet for the days around my visa's end (for my birthday), I had gone to the border 9 days early (not wanting to risk running over). Unfortunately, they wouldn't add those 9 days on to my next 60 days entry. I feel like I've been robbed of 9 days for being careful!!

So, does this mean that we have to time it so that we arrive at the border exactly a day before our visa runs out each time (and lose a day in the process) - otherwise we will lose more days or be given a fine??????

You didn't think they would give you days in credit did you?!

You get 60 days on entry... if they were to start back calculating, well there was 4 days that time that I came in, and 4 weeks here etc etc....

60 days on entry = 60 days on entry.

You are unhappy they did not add 6 days to your permitted to stay stamp? :o

Most tourists would not have a problem with the normal process of visiting another country and returning to continue there tourist activities and receiving the normal 60 day permitted to stay stamp.

No, you don't have to go to the border exactly one day before your stay stamp. You are free to go home if you don't want to play by the rules.

Or you could look for alternative methods to stay. If you work a work permit/visa/extension. If retired a visa/extension. If investor with 3 million baht use that for visa/extension.

Some interesting comments above LOL.

Yes, they should give credit for unused stay. Err, while we are on it the airlines shold

gives vouchers for unused luggage weight. If you are allowed 20 kilos and check in only 15.00 the balance should be credited.

More serious: The stay is not 30 days or 60 days. It is a maximum of such periods.

Some interesting comments above LOL.

Yes, they should give credit for unused stay. Err, while we are on it the airlines shold

gives vouchers for unused luggage weight. If you are allowed 20 kilos and check in only 15.00 the balance should be credited.

More serious: The stay is not 30 days or 60 days. It is a maximum of such periods.

The way time is used here is interesting off topic but,

When I went to renew my drivres license I went a few days early just as would in the state, I was due for the five year. Had I renewed on the day I was there they would only get a one year. I had to come back on the day it expired three later and thye isued me the fice year. Mia Kow Jia TT ( thi Thailand) :o

The reality is that they should either give people a longer stamp or allow you to just pay something at the immigration office to extend your visa. The stupidity of giving Cambodia USD20 for each visa runner plus the wasted petrol etc. does not seem to have been noticed.

I agree that one shouldn't overstay but hiking the fine is not going to raise much extra revenue. They would raise much more if they made it easier for people to remain here legally.

I agree, if you choose to overstay illegaly then face the punishment. The increase is only 300 baht a day extra if you wish to stay one or more days over the top. If you wish to overstay longer, tough.

How many days do you moaning cheap charlies intentionally want to overstay thus breaking the immigration laws on purpose.. ( I think some may call that premeditated). Back in the real world any premeditated offence carries a heavier penalty due to the fact you planned it. If you can't afford the extra 300 because maybe you made a mistake by one or two days, then how were you going to do your visa run anyway, hitch hike? Please go back to you own countries if you don't like it as obviously you have nothing to contribute here.

BANGKOK: -- The fine for remaining in Thailand past the expiry date of a permit to stay, currently 200 baht a day, will rise to 500 baht a day with effect from March 15.

However, the maximum fine payable will remain the same, at 20,000 baht, Pol Lt Gen Suwat Thamrongsrisakul, Commander of the Immigration Bureau, stated in a document posted in Thai on the Bureau's website. The document gave no reason for the increase.

--Phuket Gazette 2006-02-21

changefine_feb102006.pdf

This is just another case of Thais thinking they have something others need.

Very interesting concept. I think I will sue the Thai government now for their passport stamping practice. Did you ever notice that they do not their utmost effort in using the available space in the passports for their many stamps? As a result, I have to get a new passport much earlier than indicated on the expiration date and the extra money I have to pay for that is no longer available to speed up Thailand's sluggish beer bar industry. What a shame!

This is just another case of Thais thinking they have something others need.

Obviously they do have something Jim, otherwise Millions of westerners would not be visiting Thailand each year, and Thousands would not be staying in Thailand full time.

:o

The reality is that they should either give people a longer stamp or allow you to just pay something at the immigration office to extend your visa. The stupidity of giving Cambodia USD20 for each visa runner plus the wasted petrol etc. does not seem to have been noticed.

I agree that one shouldn't overstay but hiking the fine is not going to raise much extra revenue. They would raise much more if they made it easier for people to remain here legally.

the aim of the overstay fee should be to strongly discourage it, not the revenue.

If you are a tourist, with a legitimate reason for being here for 90 days or a year or whatever, go down to your Thai embassy and get one.

If you are working here, then get a work visa and work permit.

If you are too lazy to do either, then you should be willing to pay whatever the fine is.

Neither is hard, and considerably easier than for a Thai person simply wanting to take a holiday in many other countries (which is another topic).

It is NOT hard to stay here legally. But if a person cannot be bothered jumping through the right hoops, then they are not much different to the illegal Mexicans in USA, the illegal Chinese prostitutes in NZ, etc etc. They are taking a risk and if they get caught, then they should not bother complaining, as no one other than similar people to themselves is listening.

And just to reiterate, the vast majority of tourists don't overstay; it is a very small minority that do.

I agree, if you choose to overstay illegaly then face the punishment. The increase is only 300 baht a day extra if you wish to stay one or more days over the top. If you wish to overstay longer, tough.

How many days do you moaning cheap charlies intentionally want to overstay thus breaking the immigration laws on purpose.. ( I think some may call that premeditated). Back in the real world any premeditated offence carries a heavier penalty due to the fact you planned it. If you can't afford the extra 300 because maybe you made a mistake by one or two days, then how were you going to do your visa run anyway, hitch hike? Please go back to you own countries if you don't like it as obviously you have nothing to contribute here.

"If you don't like it ...go home" - well, well, I've never heard that one before!?!?!?!?!

Just get a non-immigrant "O" and be done with it or retirement visa.

I suspect though that many expats are in breach of their visas because what they do here in terms of owning bars /property etc. involves what would technically be described as work which is in breach of their visa. All it takes is a disgruntled neighbour to drop the word to Immigration and your "retirement" here is over.....allowed back in 99 years...