For The Birds !

samuijimmy

Apologies. Something strange happened and the final page of posts didn't load so I corrected the Bulbul ID and ID'd the Cuckooshrike without seeing that Kestrel had already done so. Also just seeing these B. Kite pics now. Very strange indeed. I agree with Jack's suggestion that this bird must have been raised by people.

• Like 1

Thanks. I am using Canon 650D (Rebel T4i) and a Tamron 150-600 lens. The lens is great, but the camera a touch low spec, especially for BIF.

The Tamron can be found for about B40,000. Prices still haven't gone up despite the drop in the Baht, once old stock is gone I guess there will be an increase.

Great shots. Camera/lens if you have time.

Apologies. Something strange happened and the final page of posts didn't load so I corrected the Bulbul ID and ID'd the Cuckooshrike without seeing that Kestrel had already done so.

no probs Ajarn . . . so long as we pointed him/them in the right direction is all that matters.

regards . . . Goshawk kestrel wai.gif

• Like 2

Thanks. I am using Canon 650D (Rebel T4i) and a Tamron 150-600 lens. The lens is great, but the camera a touch low spec, especially for BIF.

The Tamron can be found for about B40,000. Prices still haven't gone up despite the drop in the Baht, once old stock is gone I guess there will be an increase.

Great shots. Camera/lens if you have time.

Thanks for info. I asked because pics look very sharp. I use a 150-500 Sigma on a 1000D Cannon which is very low end and 5 years old(camera). Generally ok combination but pics tend to be soft unless light perfect.

In flight shoots either beyond my skills or duff equipment[emoji41]

I am sure you meant Rock thrush AN.

No, I actually meant Whistling - but specifically M. c. caeruleus, migrant race, which has a black as opposed to a yellow bill. But this a bird I have no field experience with so I am perfectly ready to be corrected on this - which is I why I said it was a "guess" - but would want to know why (for my own edification).

My first thought was B Rock of course, and it may well be, but I have seen quite a few and never seen one so dark/blue. All males I have seen have been sort of an ashy blue. So that bothered. Though in the case of this pic that could be to do with exposure and lighting to be sure.

Second was the white spots on the back, which I also have not observed on the male Blue RTs I have seen. They've all had rather uniform ashy blue backs.

Third was habitat. All the BRTs I have seen have been have been either atop cement poles, on roof tops, or otherwise perched on rocky areas. Of course they would perch on branches from time to time as well, and for all i know just out of frame here there is rocky habitat which one would expect a BRT to be in - or the bird just stopped en-route. That's always one of the tough things about pics - none of that reference - and also size is not easy to judge in photos.

Anyway, all that to say that's why I guessed whistling rather than going with the initial assumption of rock, but had no books to hand and was working from i-net pics mostly and the above concerns.

May well be Blue Rock. Anybody? I always learn more from being wrong than being right, as long as it's well explained.

• Like 1

I can't be 100% sure it is B Rock. I do not have sufficient knowledge about the subtleties in both these species.

I merely picked rock simply from its rather slender build as opposed to Whistling which is comparatively bulkier.

It could well be Whistling.

Sorry AN didn't mean to doubt your ID.

• Like 1

I can't be 100% sure it is B Rock. I do not have sufficient knowledge about the subtleties in both these species.

I merely picked rock simply from its rather slender build as opposed to Whistling which is comparatively bulkier.

It could well be Whistling.

Sorry AN didn't mean to doubt your ID.

No need for apology, Jack. As I said, it may well be a Blue Rock Thrush. This is the hard part - and the fun, in my opinion - of trying to ID pics without context. Sometimes the photographer can shed light. Maybe the bird was lighter than it appears in the pic. Maybe the exposure was adjusted post facto. Maybe the bird was in an area one would expect to find a rock thrush, and you just can't see that in the photo. Etc. and so on. And then you may have people with wholly different field experiences than i have had with rock thrush. Maybe someone has seen plenty of male BRTs with spotty backs such as the bird in the photo. Or maybe i am missing some obvious diagnostic detail that someone with more experience can see right off the bat - wouldn't be the first time. Anyway, point being no need for an apology. I have no field experience with Blue Whistling. Never seen one. Was just going on the pic itself as compared to my experience with BRTs and pics of both from OBC website. And as I said, I have always learned more from being wrong than from being correct. Raining where i am now. No birding this morning!

• Like 1

Would be helpful if OP tells us what kind of habitat this bird was seen in.

BRTs are frequently seen amongst - as the name implies, rocks. Also commonly perched on roof eaves or concrete walls.

I have a 3 pics here, 2 of which are of the Whistling, the black-beaked was from Doi Inthanon and yellow-beaked from Phu Khieo, Chaiyaphum.

The rock thrush was from Chong Yen, Mae Wong.

There are folks here whom are very good in bird IDs and hope they'd offer their opinions.

Meanwhile, I saw a solitary little grebe on my patch. Common enough but a first here at my lake. And till now, not a single leaf warbler sighted. Where have they gone?

I think you are correct. The BRT that I have seen always have a faint pale emargination on the primaries and secondaries. And in non breeding plumage have a scaly look to the breast feathers.

• Like 1