Sunsets And Sunrises

Kan Win

Great shot! Any chance you could share the aperture, shutter and ISO settings on that one?

Thanks. Nice to see you here, Gsxrnz. It's wonderful to see enthousiasm. I'm new at photography..

ISO set on automatic(mistake). 160 was chosen by the camera. Aperture set manually at maximum f11 because I wanted the hole range in focus.

Then instead of mounting the cam to get a steady shot (like I suspect Mr. kruell did above), I took it handheld in the surf and played with the manual shutter speed until I was satisfied at 1/200 with the exposure example on screen.

Later I concluded because I was aiming straight at the sun a faster shutter speed prevented general over-exposure but also under-exposed the sky to reveal the clouds like I wanted at the same time. However with this approach I could never get the delicate balance and flow of light like Mr kruell has achieved

I think in comparison Mr. kruell's photo is soft and nuanced while mine is harder and active.

Today, 6 a.m

While we're asking: I'd like to know how high/low you set the ISO in that sunrise-setting.

5 minutes earlier f11, ISO 160 but a slower shutterspeed 1:50 which I think explains why there's more detail.

15688941695_0d48ba0ec0_b.jpg

Any suggestions are welcome.

[edit]smile.png

?

Then instead of mounting the cam to get a steady shot (like I suspect Mr. kruell did above), I took it handheld in the surf and played with the manual shutter speed until I was satisfied at 1/200 with the exposure example on screen.

Later I concluded because I was aiming straight at the sun a faster shutter speed prevented general over-exposure but also under-exposed the sky to reveal the clouds like I wanted at the same time. However with this approach I could never get the delicate balance and flow of light like Mr kruell has achieved

I think in comparison Mr. kruell's photo is soft and nuanced while mine is harder and active.

Today, 6 a.m

While we're asking: I'd like to know how high/low you set the ISO in that sunrise-setting.

My last pictures I took without any steady shoot or tripod. You could get the delicate balance and flow of light in Adobe Lightroom.

Yes, I make picture more soft, because ISO was 400. About set: aperture 4, shutter automatic (160), ISO 400.

Edited by kruell
  • Like 1