Sunsets And Sunrises

Kan Win

Kwan Phayao, yesterday evening.

300mm - f/8.0 - ISO400 - 1/60s

That's really nice tangaroa,well spotted and well captured!

Am a little curious to your settings and why you chose to sacrifice ISO instead of aperture,sure at that distance a bigger aperture could of been used?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's amazingly beautiful tangaroa,can't believe nobody has commented!

What's the story behind that shot? how many exposures? Love those drifting clouds......job well done!!!

Thanks, @shaggy1969. Perhaps it's not sunsettish enough for others, haha. Seriously, it was late, I was tired, and with the recent 'topic-lockings', I didn't really know where else to put it.

It's just two exposures:

6:50pm: 22mm - f/8.0 - ISO50 - 78 seconds (using a 3-stop hard ND filter for the sky, plus a 6-stop ND to lengthen the overall exposure).

6:59pm: 22mm - f/8.0 - ISO50 - 2 seconds (to capture the lights, once they'd switched on)

I wasn't worried about the 3-stop hard-edge ND filter darkening the building too much, as I knew I'd be 'lighting' it afterwards anyway.

As for processing, it couldn't really be more simple. Initial standard tweaks in Lightroom before stacking both images in Photoshop and using the 'lighten' blend-mode on the 'lights' image to overlay them on the background. Clean up some dust-spots and that's about it.

I'm quite happy with the image, but what pleases me most is I went out with a plan, and it worked out as I'd hoped. That wasn't the case for other images made on this trip, haha!

• Like 2

I'm quite happy with the image, but what pleases me most is I went out with a plan, and it worked out as I'd hoped. That wasn't the case for other images made on this trip, haha!

Thanks for taking the time to share your set up and processing tangaroa,the end result is fantastic and it was well worth waiting around for the temple to be illuminated,combined with the movement in the clouds,it adds up to a perfect image.I really do appreciate an image with a full dynamic range,especially one as beautiful as this.It's a pity that there isn't a topic on the forum,solely dedicated to long exposure!

Beautiful sky! I didn't see any skies like this on my trip ... morning or evening! sad.png

They are rarer than rocking horse whatsit!!! Sods law that when one did show itself,I was without a tripod!!!

Edited by shaggy1969
  • Like 1

I was without a tripod!!!

I always have my tripod in the car. My camera, on the other hand... whistling.gif

Was on my motorbike,had been helping out at the local temple with the construction of a new Buddha.Tripod was up at the temple,but had to pop down to the local hardware store to order some plywood and pick up some screws.

• Like 2

Hazy April sunset

26959808433_7dc0c1cb68_b.jpg

ƒ/8.0 70.0 mm 1/60 ISO 200

edit.....what's happening with the software on here? this was posted at a 1024 pixel width,already happened to quite a few of my pics!

I have often wondered if it's the software on TVF or whether it's a glitch in Lightroom... I nearly always upload at 1024 x and sometimes the seem to come out at 800 x...

I now try to always rewrite 1024 in the upload section of LR.

As far I know, the techs have not done any forum changes, yet, some are planned for the near future, I believe.

In my "wish list" I did ask if it would be possible to have an automatic resizing of images... but because of the different browsers people use, I am not sure that will happen....

• Like 1

Jim,I'm uploading from my Flickr account and copying the 1024 image straight from there!

Shaggy, yes same for me except from Picasa.... so not sure why there is a problem...blink.png

Perhaps will ask the tech guys.... and see if they have an answer! wink.png

I just see in your Shaggy's Issan, the varying size of images too....

I'll remove this later.... but see if someone can answer!

• Like 1