Almost New Car For Sale, How To Get Market Value ?

oldsailor35

FIL just passed away leaving my lady an almost new Toyota Vios (Oct 2011) still under warranty. We have car so need to sell, where can i get honest valuation. This is one of two new ones he bought at same time so hardly used.

Sorry for your loss.

Why not just take it to a Toyota main dealer and ask what its trade in price is? Obviously the price won't be good, but it will give you something to work on. Usually selling private you can add on between 30 and 50k to the dealer's figure.

Generally i think small Toyotas and Hondas depreciate 10% in the first year, and about 5% in subsequent years. So if it's the 600k Vios, i reckon advertise around 540k privately and see what offers you get.

• Like 2

I personally would never buy a 600k car 2nd hand for 540k.

Me either, but that's the price here. People pay it. There have been many threads on why depreciation is so little. No real conclusion I think

I think it has to do with financing, which is of massive importance when you consider what percentage of people here buy cars on credit.

If you don't work for a company, and don't have a couple of years worth of wage slips, it is difficult to get financing when buying a new car. Plus when buying a new car, they usually require quite a big deposit. Perhaps 15%. Contrast that with financing for used cars. Much less fussy about credit history and much smaller down payments required. This forces a lot of car buyers to have to buy used. Well that's my theory anyway. Probably other factors involved.

In some ways it is very annoying the way depreciation is so slow, and madness how 20 year old bangers till command 200k baht, but it's not going to change any time soon, so your best bet is simply accept it and make the most of it... by that i mean buy a new car and enjoy how little money you lose!

• Like 2

Thanachart Blue Book is free, but their valuations are very simplistic, and also very low-ball (they are an insurance co. after all)

http://www.thanachartbluebook.com/

Rebook valuations cost 100 THB, but are more specific and accurate, and are the accepted standard for most dealers:

http://www.redbookas...ome.php?lang=en

Edited by IMHO

Many thanks to all for your kind help. Its a great little car to drive, only wish i could keep it, but don't need another car.

"Her inside" will now be managing the Palm Oil farm so will be driving the new Toyota truck..

Geeze ! the older i get, the tougher life gets ! coffee1.gif

Edited by oldsailor35

Is the car bought with the 100.000 baht exercise tax rebate.

Then you can not sell it for five years.

The car was bought in 2011 so that would not be the case.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

Sophon

The scheme began around the end of 2011, when the car was bought, so it could have been eligible, although the fact that the departed gentleman had two cars and was one assumes fairly old, i would guess probably not a first time buyer.

Sophon

The scheme began around the end of 2011, when the car was bought, so it could have been eligible, although the fact that the departed gentleman had two cars and was one assumes fairly old, i would guess probably not a first time buyer.

And even so, I would presume that since he died the car can be sold. Anybody knows for sure, can a car be sold if the owner bought it under the scheme, has received the rebate but has died since?

Good point but I would suspect that it would be highly unlikely as I would guess this was not the first car ever purchased by the guys FIL.

Thanachart Blue Book is free, but their valuations are very simplistic, and also very low-ball (they are an insurance co. after all)

Rebook valuations cost 100 THB, but are more specific and accurate, and are the accepted standard for most dealers:

I tried the redbook assessment and got an answer before I even closed the website. Not sure how accurate it is, but result was that my 5 year old car with just under 50 K km has lost only 35-40% of its value.

Thanks for the awesome links. I to find it bizare the little deprecation in Thailand and why total poo bombs are worth so much.

I tried the redbook assessment and got an answer before I even closed the website. Not sure how accurate it is, but result was that my 5 year old car with just under 50 K km has lost only 35-40% of its value.

I would say quite accurate. Roughly consistent with my formula of 10% depreciation in the first year, 5% in subsequent. Five year old car that equates to 30% off new price. That is what i would advertise privately for, playing it a bit optimistic, and expect offers around 40%. That is of course assuming it's one of the highly sought after Japanese cars.

One other thing regards depreciation, once your car gets down to 300k, depreciation slows down even more. Anything here below 300k is either European and old or Japanese and ancient.

Not sure how accurate it is, but result was that my 5 year old car with just under 50 K km has lost only 35-40% of its value.

Redbook is the industry standard - I always use it the get the right trade in price when turning cars. If I was buying a used car (never have though) I'd be using Thanachart's low-ball valuations to push for a cheaper price however :D

Yes you are correct but Thai people do due to less down payment I believe. Have a look at used pick ups and the price vs new and its shocking.

Yes you are correct but Thai people do due to less down payment I believe. Have a look at used pick ups and the price vs new and its shocking.

Shockingly good if you happen to be the seller. That's the key. Work with the system, not against it... buy new.

I never bought new in the UK because the depreciation for me made it economically illogical. Here it is economically logical.

Two sides to the story.