Hot, Hot, Hot, Too Hot

tjbr52

When I was 18 and first met my Thai girlfriend in the states and she cooked for me...Her first words, no not beer, no not, water, eat more rice. That was supposed to cool the spicy food down. Then the next day when my stomach went crazy....okay time for sticky rice.

That was 40 years ago.

I have never had to use a squat toilet.

Disregard this message at your peril.

TJ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No way i can use a squat box. my knees wont work that way.

for me the best help for spicy food, ie habaneros or hotter, are dairy products. cheddar or Swiss cheese, yogurt or milk. in that order. rice is good, but not nearly as good as the dairy products. Just my experience.

PS, never go pee after getting kimchee on your fingers. there is no remedy for this, only pain. nuff said.

No way i can use a squat box. my knees wont work that way.

for me the best help for spicy food, ie habaneros or hotter, are dairy products. cheddar or Swiss cheese, yogurt or milk. in that order. rice is good, but not nearly as good as the dairy products. Just my experience.

PS, never go pee after getting kimchee on your fingers. there is no remedy for this, only pain. nuff said.

Come back when you tried caustic soda on your fingers, perhaps you got perspective, nuff said

Yoghurt does it for me...

...now ..the question is ,where to find some....the real stuff ,not that sugary concoction that passes for yoghurt in thailand

Richesse has extra lacto bacteria, works well and the strawberry flavor is very tasty,

kefir works very well and is the cost of milk if you do it yourself

• 1 month later...

I enjoy hot food, have some ghost pepper sauce so ive seen hot. But other day I bought some little Thai peppers, not thinking better i took the largest and eat it, 10 mins of world of hurt ahead of me. Had no milk ran for water, came back and 2 others in shop had a try, both were in pain, one of which eats no spicy food. Nibbled on a few peices after and it wasnt so bad, since id gone numb.. 2 hours later i grabbed another, i was worse then the 1st. Everyone had a good laugh.

It is a mystery to me why in Isaan, land of chili, people can't eat food prepared with ginger or pepper corns. (Too spicy!). My wife tells me I eat chili as would a Thai. I discovered green pepper corns only recently, opened up all sorts of possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

If the mouth is on fire from chile just put a teaspoon or two of sugar in the mouth and slowly swirl it around until gone.So is the fire.Water just spreads the capson around and makes it worse,so does beer.Milk based products also cool the heat.

• 2 months later...

Research has shown that it is the oils from chillies that cause the burning mouth and upset stomach. It occurred to me that anything which will breakdown these oils would stop the burning. This "anything" must also be edible.

One of the things I found while looking for my "oil dissolver" was ADOLPH"S meat tenderizer made from papaya extract. It said on the bottle it was also good for removing "natural oils". I have long since proved to myself that ripe papaya works both on the burning mouth oils and the upset stomach.

The burning stops immediately upon eating a small portion of papaya or drinking papaya juice. Anything else just covers the oils briefly and soon the fire returns.

• 2 weeks later...

Research has shown that it is the oils from chillies that cause the burning mouth and upset stomach. It occurred to me that anything which will breakdown these oils would stop the burning. This "anything" must also be edible.

One of the things I found while looking for my "oil dissolver" was ADOLPH"S meat tenderizer made from papaya extract. It said on the bottle it was also good for removing "natural oils". I have long since proved to myself that ripe papaya works both on the burning mouth oils and the upset stomach.

The burning stops immediately upon eating a small portion of papaya or drinking papaya juice. Anything else just covers the oils briefly and soon the fire returns.

Very interesting, I will try that. The only trouble is that ripe papaya is not always at hand. I could go outside, find a ripe one on one of the trees, bring it in, cut it up..............all the while my head is exploding.

The same problem with milk, cheese, etc.

I found a solution that goes against all the common wisdom on this subject. That solution is...............(drum roll please)...............ICE WATER!

I'll bet no one saw that coming. Why would I say such an idiotic thing? Because after years of research (no shortage of research opportunities in Thailand) it's the one thing that is almost always available and instantaneous. It acts as an anaesthetic rather than a neutralizer. The heat will return when the water warms in your mouth but just swallow and do it again. The process takes as long as if you did nothing. but there's no pain. I think 15 minutes was my longest wait.

This idea that water will just spread the capsaicin around your mouth doesn't wash with me because water is not a capsaicin solvent (I'm not 100% sure about that). If I'm wrong, who cares? The pain is gone anyway.

Try it. Have your usual cures handy but try ice cold water first. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Yoghurt does it for me...

...now ..the question is ,where to find some....the real stuff ,not that sugary concoction that passes for yoghurt in thailand

Make your own, it is super easy and costs the same as plain milk. The only problem is finding yogurt with an active bacterial culture. Most supermarkets with western food will have it. You only need that once if you keep a little yogurt on hand as a mother for future cultures.

http://www.makeyourownyogurt.com/