What Kind Of Room Can You Get For 15,000Bht?

finy

Ever since I got to Thailand (plus all the times I've visited before) I've been staying in budget accommodation. When I was last in CM I payed 7,500 p/m and in Samui at the moment I'm paying 6,000 p/m.

I'm sick of it and want somewhere decent when I move back to CM in a few weeks. I don't mind spending 15,000p/m and could increase by a few thousand if need be.

I'm looking for somewhere in a decent area close to city center, possibly one bedroom, plus a decent balcony so I can work close to the fresh air.

Could I find somewhere decent for 15K?

Also, I don't want to pay that for the sake of it. I'd rather get somewhere that's actually worth that, so how would I find a place?

Cheers

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I say fresh air I mean somewhere that has a window, hopefully a balcony. I'm not expecting fresh Scottish air in Thailand.

The only 2 places I could see myself living is Chiang Mai and Bangkok. I don't suppose burning season is any worse than smoggy BKK.

Plus I think my money would go much further in CM. I could maybe do Chiang Rai if that was better.

There are some residential areas part way up Doi Sutthep mountain that might get out of the worst of Chiang Mai smog. I don't have a clue about prices though. I pay 5000 for a Thai hotel room that some people call an apartment and I'm quite happy with. But, considering your post I doubt if it would suit you. Nobody really can answer someone else's choice because what some people find acceptible others would sneer at.

Not familiar with Chiang Rai other than the smokey season is worse there.

for 15 k you should be able to find a decent room. It will just take looking around. Check the different listings they are generally loaded with all ready rented but they do have some still available. Look at the Thai Visa ads section. If you are in Chiang Mai talk to many people.

When you say city center I take it you mean the old city,

When I say fresh air I mean somewhere that has a window, hopefully a balcony. I'm not expecting fresh Scottish air in Thailand.

The only 2 places I could see myself living is Chiang Mai and Bangkok. I don't suppose burning season is any worse than smoggy BKK.

Plus I think my money would go much further in CM. I could maybe do Chiang Rai if that was better.

Be aware that the air quality in Chiang Mai is much worse during burning season than it is in Bangkok as a result of the traffic.

Places you might want to try for accomodation include: Smith Residence, Hilside Condominiums, the Greenery, all available on the internet. 15k baht a month should get you something quite nice although be prepared to agree a one year contract and to potentially lose any security deposit you put down (it's a national pastime).

Edited by chiang mai

Places you might want to try for accomodation include: Smith Residence, Hilside Condominiums, the Greenery, all available on the internet. 15k baht a month should get you something quite nice although be prepared to agree a one year contract and to potentially lose any security deposit you put down (it's a national passtime).

You could also try the Dome, which isn't inside the old city, but just down from the shopping mall here. Very close to the old city though. You don't have to do a one year contract at Smith Residence by the way. But they are expensive for what you get (my opinion as I stayed there for 2 months). I would seriously try Trip Advisor. I believe all these places are on there as well. Good luck!

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

Someone mentioned Hillside. I presume that's the Hillside Plaza 4, or at least one of them.

I've actually been a member of the gym/pool there and wouldn't mind staying if I got a balcony with decent view.

I'll give them a phone in the next few days and see what they offer.

Apart from that I suppose it's just walking around what I suspected anyway.

I would like a longer contract because I want to buy a decent office desk/chair. I'm eventually going to get the study visa once I decide where is the best place to study.

Edited by finy

http://www.chiangmai...l.com/p242.html is 15000/ month All prices include maid service, pickup at your gate on arrival, all utilities including internet,cable TC, DVD, water, electicity and linens.

Looks great. What's the deal with deposits and how long will this (or others similar) be available for?

I won't be in CM before last week of month.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

Someone mentioned Hillside. I presume that's the Hillside Plaza 4, or at least one of them.

I've actually been a member of the gym/pool there and wouldn't mind staying if I got a balcony with decent view.

I'll give them a phone in the next few days and see what they offer.

If you go through the Hillside office, they will probably add their markup to the rent.

Who would live in a "room" other than a 18 year old student while away at school?

Gee, I've seen countless Thais and Foreigners living in comfortable single rooms with a frig, tv, cable and internet that looked a lot older than 18. Maybe the LOS aged them rapidly. ;)

If you are looking to spend 15k why rent a tiny condo when you could rent a nice big house instead?

I wouldn't mind a one bedroom, but I don't really have any need for more than that.

I would rather the extra money went towards a more fancy place.

Who would live in a "room" other than a 18 year old student while away at school?

Gee, I've seen countless Thais and Foreigners living in comfortable single rooms with a frig, tv, cable and internet that looked a lot older than 18. Maybe the LOS aged them rapidly. wink.png

Personally, I prefer a nice, comfortable room to a house when I am single.

For that money you can get a brand new, fully equipped 2 room condo in Jigsaw or Jigsaw 2 including flat screen tv, cooker, walk-in closet, washing machine, cooker and fitness centre on the ground floor. Everything brand new. 12,000 Baht a month.

Or if you want right in the town centre and a big room, how about City View, 60 square metres for around 11,000 Baht a month, furnished.

For that money you can get a brand new, fully equipped 2 room condo in Jigsaw or Jigsaw 2 including flat screen tv, cooker, walk-in closet, washing machine, cooker and fitness centre on the ground floor. Everything brand new. 12,000 Baht a month.

Or if you want right in the town centre and a big room, how about City View, 60 square metres for around 11,000 Baht a month, furnished.

Where is Jigsaw 1 + 2. Sounds interesting.

I don't need to be inside the city walls as I'll have a bike.

Jigsaw is close to the superhighway area...it's a nice area...just right behind the Big C, Index and there are good restaurants in that area...with a bike you are easily move to anywhere from that condo...that airbnb website has 2 units available for rent.

Nice one. I'll search Airbnb.

Jigsaw is close to the superhighway area...it's a nice area...just right behind the Big C, Index and there are good restaurants in that area...with a bike you are easily move to anywhere from that condo...that airbnb website has 2 units available for rent.

You consider that a "nice area"? Where are there "good restaurants" in that area?

That would be a terrible place to live with all the bars around there, drunks, fights, people urinating all over, selling yaaba, the noise of like 20 bars playing different music, cars and motorcycles speeding through there at 2:00 A.M.

Jia Tong Heng is close by and excellent Chinese food ...:-) ? From thatsuper highway you are close to almost everything ...but if you have actually lived in that area I defer to your opinion then...

I lived at the Embassy house last time in July - Sep...great neighbors, fancy units with rentals to go along but still there was a dam_n karaoke club belting their lungs out...gets better when you can sleep thru it all.

Riverside is fine. The fact that it has such a high occupancy rate speaks volumes. Though you can knock 30% off those prices that you quoted by dealing direct with the owners. They are the top of the range for Riverside. I don't like the parking. They should have covered parking for motorbikes.

Hello Finy,

15'000.- is a lot for just a room... I'm staying soi 4 off Doi Suthep road, new building (opened Jan. 2013), nice room with hot shower, flat screen TV (Thai chanels), fan, air con, small balcony, view on Doi Suthep, quiet, cctv in building and parking, card access security, security teen at night and nice owners. All that for 4'500.-/month, one month deposit, electricity at 8.-/unit, water at 28.-/m3 if I remember well. The place's name is A+K.

By experience, don't look on internet. The pictures are always lovely, you cannot hear what's going on at night and the better deals are not on the web. Walk or ride around to check the places. As said previously, near Chiang Mai University (Doi Suthep side mostly), loads of rooms for rent.

Good luck