New German Food Eatery

Ricardo

We've eaten a few times recently, at what appears to be an almost-in-town branch of Dieter's well-known G-&-M Foods (out near Doi Saket & Sankampaeng). At least, it serves the same foods, and has their name above the window !

It is located at the back of Big-C-Extra, the one which used to be Carrefour, on the Super-Highway. You park at the rear of Big-C and exit their back-gate, straight across the road opposite, the restaurant is the second on the right, after the Shabu-place on-the-corner.

Buffet costs B199 on Friday & Saturday, but not Sundays. Normal menu is available other days of the week, but not when the buffet is on, and prices seem reasonable, although the atmosphere is a bit haphazard/plastic/tatty. A work-in-progress one hopes.

It's convenient to visit before/after shopping at Big-C which, by the way, seems increasingly-packed at week-ends, these days. Avoid if you value your sanity/tranquility !

Food good, if you like German-sausage/meats, and personally I like the potato-salad, service not wonderful on buffet-days, since the 2-3 staff are busy cooking.

The Doi Saket one is much bigger, and quainter, a 'well kept secret' which hundreds (mainly Thai) find every Sunday, despite it being quite hard to find, until you know how to get there !

Food good, if you like German-sausage/meats, and personally I like the potato-salad, service not wonderful on buffet-days, since the 2-3 staff are busy cooking.

The Doi Saket one is much bigger, and quainter, a 'well kept secret' which hundreds (mainly Thai) find every Sunday, despite it being quite hard to find, until you know how to get there !

Can you post a location Google maps?

here's the one out past Doi Saket: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:18.79746,99.14179

Don't know where the one is behind the BigC.

here's the one out past Doi Saket: https://maps.google.....79746,99.14179

Don't know where the one is behind the BigC.

Thanks....I think,I've been there ones with a friend,but could never find it again...the one behind the BigC should be easier to find....also,if I remember the owners name was Gunter...so who is Dieter?

I think the buffet is Thursday and Friday 10:30 on. But just a warning (posted this before a few times every time it comes up), this place is geared towards the Thai palate - about 95% Thai clientele. The food is prepared by young Thai girls. This is not the same as the other place. The food (even the potato salad) is loaded with sugar. The first time I went there and ordered sausages they came with sweet, Thai chili sauce on top. Tried to send them back but it seemed that was not cool to do there. No mustard available... It's been there for about 2 years now and I don't care for it but some Thai friends enjoy going there. It's not a work in progress with the funky tables and flooring, etc. That's the way it has been since day one. I'm 1/2 German and lived in Germany. You could not find food like this in Germany.

Sorry, I didn't realise this place had been open for so long, we only found it a few months back. wai2.gif

They did have mustard, on the table, this time.

So where do Germans go in Chiang Mai, to eat reasonable quality/quantity/priced German-food, now that Haus Munchen (moved to the Red Lion) and the KSK German-Bistro downstairs and Gypsy's Grill are gone ? Anyone got any tips ?

I think the buffet is Thursday and Friday 10:30 on. But just a warning (posted this before a few times every time it comes up), this place is geared towards the Thai palate - about 95% Thai clientele. The food is prepared by young Thai girls. This is not the same as the other place. The food (even the potato salad) is loaded with sugar. The first time I went there and ordered sausages they came with sweet, Thai chili sauce on top. Tried to send them back but it seemed that was not cool to do there. No mustard available... It's been there for about 2 years now and I don't care for it but some Thai friends enjoy going there. It's not a work in progress with the funky tables and flooring, etc. That's the way it has been since day one. I'm 1/2 German and lived in Germany. You could not find food like this in Germany.

Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't expecting much, I thought I might just have lunch there before my next shopping trip at Big C, I'll probably give it a go just to check it out.

Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't expecting much, I thought I might just have lunch there before my next shopping trip at Big C, I'll probably give it a go just to check it out.

It's not so bad. Certainly not real German food but once in a while it's O.K. Give it a try. I only go when the g/f or a couple of Thai friends want to go and I will avoid the things that I had before and were sweet.

Glad to hear they finally got mustard...

Glad to hear they finally got mustard...

ThaiVisa for all the hot news ! rolleyes.gif

Other sites can only ketchup now ! laugh.png

Hows the pork knuckle / leg there Ricardo?

I'm sure they have the naam jiim seafood that so often gets served with it, very nice indeed.

Khaomao Khaofangs pork knuckle is back to it's old best too, been a bit hit and miss for awhile, last night was superb yet again.

The one behind Big C seems ideal to me. I can drop my husband off to eat whilst I go shopping and I don't have him following me, sulking and saying 'Are you finished yet? Are we going now?'

I really need to get a bike of my own......

The one behind Big C seems ideal to me. I can drop my husband off to eat whilst I go shopping and I don't have him following me, sulking and saying 'Are you finished yet? Are we going now?'

Or an alternative husband !

• Like 2

Or an alternative husband !

I might keep him around. He's good at fixing things tongue.png

It can often be deep-fried and dried-up at some places, but we both found it here to be moist & tasty, it's one of the middle-of-the-table items in the buffet. thumbsup.gif

I'm not recommending them highly though, as being super-wonderful or anything, just that it's a reasonable option, and much closer & easier to find than out-in-the-fields is !

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 1

It can often be deep-fried and dried-up at some places, but we both found it here to be moist & tasty, it's one of the middle-of-the-table items in the buffet. thumbsup.gif

I'm not recommending them highly though, as being super-wonderful or anything, just that it's a reasonable option, and much closer & easier to find than out-in-the-fields is !

Sounds good enough for a try as I always get hopelessly lost looking for the the other one. Upside is I always find yet another new place to eat when I'm lost !

• Like 1

Thanks Ricardo. Will give it a try until my dad comes back over to show me where the Doi Saket restaurant is. No hope of finding that from what I've been told.

The Doi Saket restaurant has been around for ever, The one behind Big C Extra (Ex Carrefour) has been open for several years now. The food is good - consistent with Gunther's high standards, though the place is somewhat lacking in atmosphere. You go for the food and that's it!

• Like 2