Thai Mum Sells Child Bride For B2,000

george

"In the old days, marriages were usually arranged by the parents in both Sioux and Cherokee society, and the formal request for a bride was made by presenting gifts (the bride price - usually food, blankets, and fine clothing, and later horses) to the bride's parents, who made the decision to accept or reject the marriage proposal for the girl" THEY were eligible for sale after they started menstrual.

"Egypt, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Pakistan, India, and the Middle East: In the rural villages of these countries many young girls are rarely allowed out of their homes unless it is to work in the fields or to get married.

• These uneducated girls are often married off at the young age of 11. Some families allow girls who are only 7 years old to marry. It is very unusual for a girl to reach the age of 16 and not be married."

• England and the United States: The issue of child brides has also reached other countries such as England and the United States where secret illegal weddings are being performed.

The Center for Law and Social Policy (CLASP) found in a study, Is Teen Marriage a Solution? that marriages by teens in the United States jumped tremendously in the 1990s.

The awareness of early forced marriage and sexual abuse of young girls in the United States was increased by the April 2008 rescue of numerous children living on a ranch owned by a polygamist sect in Texas."

" I was forced to marry at FIVE -while living in UK : Horrific story of BRITISH child bride "

"The BRITISH child brides : Muslim mosque leaders agree to marry girl of 12 ...so long as parents don't tell anyone"

• Two imams were prepared to officiate wedding of underage girl
  • More than 1,000 of the 8,000 forced marriages of BRITONS each year are believed to involve girls of 15 or UNDER."

I would just say before throwing stones . I THINK what i see as the grievance is HE RAPED HER FOR 2000 baht with consent after the fact by parents. AS FAR as the villagers protesting ??? I don't care where you live there will be someone who don't like what you are doing. AS far as sinsot yes it is purchase of bride .you can call it what you want but an a** is an A** even if you call it EEOR :) BUT RAPE SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED. GET off your high horses because EVEN in THE UK,Australia or America IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY JUST ABOUT ANYTHING GOES FROM RAPE to killing a president to killing a movie star or fixing an election. JUST my two cents until i get it exchanged 6.666 baht worth :)

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, these folks have certainly put the 'sin' in sod!

Now we see why, when parents can sell their daughter for 2000 baht, that regardless of how bad things get in this country, they will continue to sell their vote for 300-500 baht.

Firstly the man who committed the rape, needs jailing. Rape is rape end of! Next we all need to reflect on just how poor and desperate some families are. By virtue of the fact everyone on here has access to a computer and can also read it is likely very difficult to empathize in any way with just how desperate and morally bankrupt these parents are. The level of poverty and desperation is off the scale here and I can only assume the mother (and maybe the father) came from a home and upbringing where there was zero affection, likely child abuse and no sense of family belonging. This young girl will do a runner and end up in a bar somewhere and when she has kids the cycle will continue. This is all a reflection on decades of corrupt self serving politicians who have never given a dam_n about society or the people. No particular party, they are ALL to blame. Here Thailand is about to enter ASEAN and there are still children being sold by PARENTS!! for $60. How are the government supposed to stem the tide of human trafficking, when parents are implicit in the crimes! Shocking! as are many of the other stories on this thread. Welcome to 2013 or should that be 1213.

F.U.B.A.R. Life is cheap; yes. And it is going to get a lot cheaper as time goes on. It is the last natural resource on this planet which is a money making industry. It will outweigh all other natural resources by trillions of dollars. People make money in the name of doing good, but nothing gets done. People make money in the name of doing bad, and a lot gets done. It makes me wonder if the ones doing good are more interested in the money that their reason excuse for existing brings to them, rather than doing what they say there are there for. Actually I do not wonder. It's all F.U.B.A.R.

It should be held in perspective that this awful incident and others like it recently in Thailand.are unfortunately not uncommon around the world. Check out international news reports or google and browse child rescue websites. While it is of little consolation you'll find that the occurrence of such outrages against children in Thailand pales in comparison to what goes on in Central and South America, India, Africa - not to mention in the Middle East countries where arranged child marriages are allowed.

• Like 1

Foundation chairwoman Pavena Hongsakul and the police immediately went to the child's house after receiving complaints from villagers about the incident. The man, his parents, and the victim's parents were brought in for questioning.

Pavena (3rd from the left), the man (inset) , the victim (back to the camera)

Yimdai (Thai)- Jan. 12, 2012

http://www.yimdai.co...dash;_6646.html

Link doesn't work!

Try these:

http://www.khaosod.c...9PQ==&subcatid=

http://news.77...«à¸·à¹ˆà¸™.html

http://www.matichon....wsid=1357955248

When the police and Paweena entered the village on the 11th to make the arrest, they found a large group of people eating and drinking at some sort of celebration which on asking, they were informed was a wedding banquet for the recently married/engaged couple. As the groom, 34-year-old Mr Jamroon, and the girl's parents were led away for questioning to the local police station, the guests started angrily complaining, saying it was commonplace in the area for 12-13 year-old girls to get married.

On the press asking Jamroon about the matter, he angrily shot back:

"There are lots of marriages around here like this. Who told the police? I'll marry her because I love her."

Police took the groom into detention and revealed that he has previous convictions for drug offences. They're also trying to determine the parents' extent of complicity in the matter.

The girl has been taken into care.

Edited by katana

Of course I have never been so desperate to sell my beautiful Thai /English daughter ,(who my wife and I love very much) for however how much.

I would prefer to die first! I will refrain to comment on those,that would not like to hear my true feelings on those that would sell their children! believe me,you would not like to hear it! guaranteed..

• Like 1

Is said man Thai or farang? Can't help but wonder how desperate the parents were.

Can't help but wonder what a bunch of retards there must be who live in this village if 12 & 13 year old "brides" are common as claimed.

Edited by Yme

I have just mentioned this story to my missus, yes she is Thai. She knows about the story and feels it is wrong also but, went on to say "15 years old OK, 13 years old not OK", when I questioned further she said, "it is illegal if under 15 years old". Paying a "sin sot" for someone under 15 years old is illegal basically, even here in Thailand.

A sinsot is an "offering" to the mother & father for their daughter's hand in marriage, to prove that you are worthy of and able to take care of her. I believe, there are many cultures that also request there version of it, for example in India; Dowry . This was also the case in the UK during the Elizabethan times. All very old ways of looking at a marriage, in a modern time. The UK are trying to outlaw this part of the Indian culture apparently, hence most go back to India now to marry.

Bare in mind, I am not, in any way condoning the practice of any of this. I believe that if, you are of legal age and want to get married then fine, you should not have to pay a sinsot or dowry to get married.

The original intention of the outdated practice of "sin sot" was an amount held by the mother for her daughter's future security. The practice lost its true meaning years ago with the everything for sale culture.

When the police and Paweena entered the village on the 11th to make the arrest, they found a large group of people eating and drinking at some sort of celebration which on asking, they were informed was a wedding banquet for the recently married/engaged couple. As the groom, 34-year-old Mr Jamroon, and the girl's parents were led away for questioning to the local police station, the guests started angrily complaining, saying it was commonplace in the area for 12-13 year-old girls to get married.

On the press asking Jamroon about the matter, he angrily shot back:

"There are lots of marriages around here like this. Who told the police? I'll marry her because I love her."

Police took the groom into detention and revealed that he has previous convictions for drug offences. They're also trying to determine the parents' extent of complicity in the matter.

The girl has been taken into care.

The wedding was planned to commemorate the weekend of National Children's Day 2012... :(

6795150801_cb50bd6572_z_zpsba47e09a.jpg

• Like 1

The following day, the man came into her room again and forced her to have sex with him. When she told her parents, they asked the man to come over and then offered her as his bride for 2,000 baht.

The man and his relatives protested that he had done nothing wrong. They said that there were other men in the village who had married and lived with girls who were 12 or 13 years old..

Two statements that worry me very much about Thai society: I wonder what the "Buddhist" belief say's about this sort of practice ??

I find it very sick that a modern so called emerging society not only lets this sort of practice continue, but actually thinks it's exceptable if the price is right.

Ignorant parents who think this is fine should be sterilised, and perpetrators of child rape should be put to sleep.

I thought Thailand had signed up to the "Bill of human rights" what happened to the young girls rights ?????????????

Why have so many protesters assumed that those involved in this case are Buddhist? Is there any evidence of this? Thailand has a substantial Muslim majority and marrying children as young as six is acceptable in Islam. (Mohammed did it himself when he married Aisha - though waited until she was 9 before having sex with her.) A village with a number of child brides sounds more typically Muslim.

Why have so many protesters assumed that those involved in this case are Buddhist? Is there any evidence of this? Thailand has a substantial Muslim majority and marrying children as young as six is acceptable in Islam. (Mohammed did it himself when he married Aisha - though waited until she was 9 before having sex with her.) A village with a number of child brides sounds more typically Muslim.

Where is your evidence to support that the village is muslim ?......seeing as we citing reglion in this case...both Jewish and biblical religious texts condone this practice as well...please refer to a link I provided in an earlier post...

• Like 1

Where is your evidence to support that the village is muslim ?......seeing as we citing reglion in this case...both Jewish and biblical religious texts condone this practice as well...please refer to a link I provided in an earlier post...

I have no evidence that the village is Muslim - I'm just questioning the assumption (apparently equally without evidence) that those involved are Buddhist.

As for other religions, Islam is the only major religion where the mainstream in this day and age still advocates and practices marriage of young children.

It should be held in perspective that this awful incident and others like it recently in Thailand.are unfortunately not uncommon around the world. Check out international news reports or google and browse child rescue websites. While it is of little consolation you'll find that the occurrence of such outrages against children in Thailand pales in comparison to what goes on in Central and South America, India, Africa - not to mention in the Middle East countries where arranged child marriages are allowed.

oh well it happens in other places so it is totally acceptable here then. What's all the huff about? Why do some always try to justify what happens in Thailand and defend it with the old, "It happens elsewhere also"
  • Like 2

I have no evidence that the village is Muslim - I'm just questioning the assumption (apparently equally without evidence) that those involved are Buddhist.

As for other religions, Islam is the only major religion where the mainstream in this day and age still advocates and practices marriage of young children.

Having seen the TV reports, I think it is fair to say that the people weren't muslim. They looked like piss poor baan nork villages living in a world miles away from modernity.

Thailand has a substantial Muslim minority (5%). The Thai Muslims that I know do not concur with the negative traits in Arab countries, especially underage marriages.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Or maybe they are Buddhist who respect Muslim Culture. If that is the case then they maybe very forward thinking people. People and good will towards everyone except perverts

oh well it happens in other places so it is totally acceptable here then. What's all the huff about? Why do some always try to justify what happens in Thailand and defend it with the old, "It happens elsewhere also"

Wow! Did you actually read the words I used in my post? ... In no way can my my words be reasonably construed to imply an excuse for the awful behavior of the perpetrator... Nor is what I posted in any way some kind of moral equivalency to justify evil actions. All I stated was that perspective ought to be applied to understand the world wide occurrence of this immoral and criminal behavior.

Sometimes when I post on TV Forums - I feel like certain reactionaries are suffering from Adult Attention Deficit Disorder - who read the first few words or scan over the paragraph and pop off with some silly misinterpretation of what was actually written.. You say 'Justify' - what a joke of an analysis of what was actually written.

My appologies. When you were saying it happens elsewhere I did think you were defending these actions in Thailand. Once again my appologies.

Well, the real story here is why on earth would a man want to live with a 13 year old girl? What kind of short circuit does this guy have in his brain? What is he the captain of the mentorship program? What is interesting about doing something like this? Morality aside, what is the point in this ridiculous exercise?

• Like 1