Thai Mum Sells Child Bride For B2,000

george

The parents were quick to seize the opportunity for that windfall of 2,000 baht. Sad very sad. This happens a lot in Thailand. Forced sex is not a prerequisite, as many parents are willing to sell their daughters in Thailand. Everything is for sale.

Don't tell me that. I don't want to hear that. I didn't know that. I knew there were kidnappers and smugglers and traffickers especially in Laos and Cambodia, but I didn't know it was common for Thai parents to give or sell a 13 year old.

I'm going to be sick.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I begin this I DO NOT CONDONE ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY THE RAPE OF A YOUNG GIRL. I do not agree with this it is mearly a point of view I have not seen here yet (only got to page 5).

The girl had been raped, she was therefore "spoiled goods" and the chances of her getting married would have been slim to none.

If the parents had the man procecuted and arrested he would not be able to marry the girl and make an "honest women" out of her, where she could still have some respect for herself and family.

The Sin Sod was just part of the pantomime being performed for everyone involved to keep "face". The marriage kept everything in a somewhat closed community "respectable".

Just a thought.......

That you need to think of a way for them to make it ok is quite sad in itself.

READ the first few liines !!! Not everyone (especially nfrom different places and cultures) think as we do.

"You never know what it is like to be someone else until you have walked in their shoes"

• Like 1

I have found the details of how "statutory rape" is deemed in Thailand, this is a translation of, Criminal Law in Thailand, The Penal Code. Interesting read.

Criminal Law in Thailand.

Not sure if I am actually allowed to post this, if it gets deleted OK, as an earlier post was taken down due to where I got it.

I will say it again, I am not, in anyway condoning what has happened to this poor girl or any others. Rape is rape, end of.

The parents were quick to seize the opportunity for that windfall of 2,000 baht. Sad very sad. This happens a lot in Thailand. Forced sex is not a prerequisite, as many parents are willing to sell their daughters in Thailand. Everything is for sale.

Don't tell me that. I don't want to hear that. I didn't know that. I knew there were kidnappers and smugglers and traffickers especially in Laos and Cambodia, but I didn't know it was common for Thai parents to give or sell a 13 year old.

I'm going to be sick.

That is because it is not common but it does happen just as many other horrific things are done to children in this world.

Before I begin this I DO NOT CONDONE ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY THE RAPE OF A YOUNG GIRL. I do not agree with this it is mearly a point of view I have not seen here yet (only got to page 5).

The girl had been raped, she was therefore "spoiled goods" and the chances of her getting married would have been slim to none.

If the parents had the man procecuted and arrested he would not be able to marry the girl and make an "honest women" out of her, where she could still have some respect for herself and family.

The Sin Sod was just part of the pantomime being performed for everyone involved to keep "face". The marriage kept everything in a somewhat closed community "respectable".

Just a thought.......

READ the first few liines !!! Not everyone (especially nfrom different places and cultures) think as we do.

"You never know what it is like to be someone else until you have walked in their shoes"

I did and it was not directed at you...just that an excuse was needed for them to think it is all ok.

No matter what....children deserve protection from those that are older, wiser, caniving, manipulative and downright despicable.

• Like 1

I have found the details of how "statutory rape" is deemed in Thailand, this is a translation of, Criminal Law in Thailand, The Penal Code. Interesting read.

Not sure if I am actually allowed to post this, if it gets deleted OK, as an earlier post was taken down due to where I got it.

I will say it again, I am not, in anyway condoning what has happened to this poor girl or any others. Rape is rape, end of.

Actually, this says it all: "Whoever, has sexual intercourse with a girl not yet over fifteen years of age and not being his own wife,.....". It's OK to marry her under 15.

Actually, this says it all: "Whoever, has sexual intercourse with a girl not yet over fifteen years of age and not being his own wife,.....". It's OK to marry her under 15.

The current law is that you need to be 17 years old to marry in Thailand unless a court grants special permission.

If the quote is accurately translated then it is also interesting that it says "girl", not "person". and "wife" instead of "wife/husband".

Edited by monkeycountry

Just a thought.......

Agreed.

In no way, shape or form is it "Ok", very far from Ok in fact.

• Like 1

Sticking your head in the sand & saying that this case is exceptional in Thailand is a cop out. We don't know if it is or not because of what doesn't get reported here. This is still a very patriarchal society - the attitude of a Phu Yai to the Krabi rape is a fair indication of that.

Human trafficking is a serious problem here and while this case doesn't fit into that category, it comes close. Farangs can't change everything here (nor should they) but when a young girl is victimised by her ignorant mother, they should make their feelings known to Thais - many of whom are probably just as sickened.

I suspect that as the country develops & education more widespread, the younger generation -abused & not abused - will have a greater concept of what is right & wrong in the future. Older ill-educated people living in remote villages are still living in a world of 50 or so years ago - it'll take a generation or maybe two to change.

sick bustard, 2000 baht for your daughters body,i know it happens in thailand but it never makes it right.

That would be business as usual in Saudi Arabia.

Just with some more money.

Why single out Saudi Arabia, take a look at non Muslim countries that have high levels of abuse against females - you might be surprised.

http://www.trust.org/trustlaw/news/special-coverage/g20women/

Ah, okay Nisa, dressedingreen and all the others "it happens everywhere, so don't bother": fine!

We just sit back and relax, don't bother, don't feel sick and disgusted...mai pen rai!

And the next time some red or yellow- mob settles in the city or at the airport, we just let it be. It's a Thai- thing, so don't bother!

And if someone kills someone for 500 baht- they always have done it like that, so...<deleted>?

Just chill out, have a beer and put on the rose tinted glasses.

Just for your information: I guess, most of us know, these kind of things happen elsewhere...

...and why does that not make me feel one bit better?

Since you ask ... I am not sure what would make you feel better except possibly prescription medication wink.pngbut more to the point I am not sure anybody was trying to make anyone feel better but rather simply put things in perspective that this incident is not a reflection of Thai Culture or is it acceptable to the overwhelming vast majority of Thai people unlike some posters have suggested. This is simply another sad news story of a sensational and sexual type that generates a lot of hits because people are attracted to these types of stories be it here or just about anywhere else.

Edited by Nisa

How interesting it is to observe the self righteousness that emerges from the average 'first world' expat on learning the world does not always adhere to their ideals of justice and goodness. Most 'back home' will have paid little attention to the International Day of the Child. For those who believe that Thailand is one of the FEW countries left on the planet where child brides are commonplace, more than 10 million girls are forced into intergenerational marriages, in over 50 countries, each year.

You may find this Daily Mail report enlightening ... http://www.dailymail...ild-brides.html

Simply playing 'ain't it awful' in here changes nothing.

DIG

Some other interesting facts and stats .... http://www.icrw.org/...cts-and-figures (Child Marriage Facts and Figures)

It is actually mentions Thailand in this article as an example of improving the age of which girls marry.

Edited by Nisa

sick bustard, 2000 baht for your daughters body,i know it happens in thailand but it never makes it right.

Sick, I agree, but selling your daughter is normal when at an older age, ie. A Farang has to pay his sin-sod to a Thai family for his wife. Rather more than B2000. Cost one of my friends B4m. One reason I did not get married here. On the other, hand back in the past, a dowry was paid by the daughter's family. A much better idea~

The idea of sinsod was that it was paid and held in reserve by the parents, so that if the man did a runner or they got divorced, the daughter had some sort of security. My argument was that this concept is planning to fail, so I point blank refused to participate and just used the money to build a house (it offers the same security I guess but in a not so direct way). Most Thai parents now will take the money as a display for relatives on the day of the wedding and then hand it straight back afterwards for the couple to start their lives together. I know a couple who were desperately in love with each other, she was hiso and he was a middle class guy. They wanted to be married more than anything but eventually split as the girls parents wanted 250 million sinsod.....yes 250M. The guy never stood a chance, something the girls parents obviously calculated, and the girl was to scared to turn on her parents. There are <deleted> at both ends of the scale!

OMG one wonders if she wouldn't turn on them because she would be dis-inherited? What's your view on that Jim?

Got it in a nutshell!

Ah, okay Nisa, dressedingreen and all the others "it happens everywhere, so don't bother": fine!

We just sit back and relax, don't bother, don't feel sick and disgusted...mai pen rai!

And the next time some red or yellow- mob settles in the city or at the airport, we just let it be. It's a Thai- thing, so don't bother!

And if someone kills someone for 500 baht- they always have done it like that, so...<deleted>?

Just for your information: I guess, most of us know, these kind of things happen elsewhere...

Since you ask ... I am not sure what would make you feel better except possibly prescription medication wink.png but more to the point I am not sure anybody was trying to make anyone feel better but rather simply put things in perspective that this incident is not a reflection of Thai Culture or is it acceptable to the overwhelming vast majority of Thai people unlike some posters have suggested. This is simply another sad news story of a sensational and sexual type that generates a lot of hits because people are attracted to these types of stories be it here or just about anywhere else.

Oooooh, you are on your "i don't believe it, so it doesn't happen"- trip again!

I can assure you (and others can as well, if you read through all the posts on this and the related bus- driver - thread) that is IS very well common, for underage girls to marry (or rather: be married to) men in either planned marriages by two pairs of parents or to the highest bidder. I think it also common, that women and girls are raped (or "persuaded" into consenting sexual activities) by "tradition" and "loving" husbands.

I personally know of 2 cases (one girl 15 the other 13) where marriages were arranged and if you just would climb down from your ivory -tower in Neverneverland (you know...the place where taxis don't cheat or cobras have to be driven to extinction, because they have no environmental value in that place) and just check, how many of the guys on this forum know of such cases....and given the fact, that there very well might be many more out there....you may find it "common" and "accepted".

But you are right: medicine!

By the way: have you decided about the blue or red pill? You know, that "blue" get's you out of the Matrix, don't you?!

• Like 1

Since you ask ... I am not sure what would make you feel better except possibly prescription medication wink.pngbut more to the point I am not sure anybody was trying to make anyone feel better but rather simply put things in perspective that this incident is not a reflection of Thai Culture or is it acceptable to the overwhelming vast majority of Thai people unlike some posters have suggested. This is simply another sad news story of a sensational and sexual type that generates a lot of hits because people are attracted to these types of stories be it here or just about anywhere else.

All you are doing is blindly stating a sweeping view of Thai culture that IMO is off the mark. This is not an isolated case and while it may be 'sensational' to you is should be reported. Not acceptable to the overwhelming majority of Thai people? Rubbish. There is still a mentality here (in the remote areas) that young girls can be traded, forced into marriage, sold to brothels & massage parlours (much the same) & rape allowed if the girl 'knows' the perpetrator.

This is not knocking Thailand but it one of the aspects of the country that is ripe for change.

• Like 1

Is said man Thai or farang? Can't help but wonder how desperate the parents were.

Who cares? He needs help, for a long time.....Put him away...

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

For Goodness sake if you can't keep up.. Keep quiet. The discussion has quite a bit of depth, which if you feel left out will lead to sulking. Read before you post.

All you are doing is blindly stating a sweeping view of Thai culture that IMO is off the mark. This is not an isolated case and while it may be 'sensational' to you is should be reported. Not acceptable to the overwhelming majority of Thai people? Rubbish. There is still a mentality here (in the remote areas) that young girls can be traded, forced into marriage, sold to brothels & massage parlours (much the same) & rape allowed if the girl 'knows' the perpetrator.

This is not knocking Thailand but it one of the aspects of the country that is ripe for change.

So you are arguing with me about it not being common or acceptable by the vast majority of Thais but pointing out in "remote areas" there are still a few who believe such things????

Shameful, absolutely shameful. Sterilise the parents and give them 20 years each. Or sell them to a nice caring hi-so Thai chinese family for 10 years hard domestic labour.

~~~it still violated the law which protects children below the age of 15~~~

So children over 15 can be sold by their parents to rapists with impunity? Bravo to the other villagers for raising the alarm and not sweeping it under the carpet.

TV poster reactions never cease to amaze me. One would assume you are all world travelers, yet your knowledge of the world is so limited. Low ages of consent, child marriages, selling children for sex and other such activities are rather commonplace in this world, especially in Africa, the Middle East, Asia and Latin America. Even in most of Europe, the age of consent is 15 or under--13 in Spain, 14 in Portugal, Italy, Austria, Germany, most of the Balkans and the former Soviet bloc. Even in stodgy old England the age of consent is 16. And, the decadent Yanks range from 16-18 dependent upon the State. Don't take my word for it, do the research and see. Condemning the very impoverished or culturally archaic to sterilization or death seems extraordinarily severe when the motive for selling a child into marriage may be the hope of a better life for the child or the ability to support the younger siblings. Why don't you exchange your rancor for exertion into solving these problems.

So you are arguing with me about it not being common or acceptable by the vast majority of Thais but pointing out in "remote areas" there are still a few who believe such things????

No I'm not - please don't twist my meaning. The majority of Thais still live in the countryside, unlike most western countries. The view of those Thais would come a lot closer to the 'vast majority' that you so flippantly toss out.

Also, the mysogynistic viewpoint I mentioned about rape is still prevelant here among all classes of Thais - what we get in the media is just the tip of the iceburg. It's all very well defending all things Thai but a more panoramic view would recognise that there are problems here that shouldn't be ignored.

Is said man Thai or farang? Can't help but wonder how desperate the parents were.

Doubt he was a farang because ' his parents went to the police station for questioning ' along with the man himself and the girls parents -- but then T.I.T., so anything could be possible.

Well, these folks have certainly put the 'sin' in sod!

Now we see why, when parents can sell their daughter for 2000 baht, that regardless of how bad things get in this country, they will continue to sell their vote for 300-500 baht.

Firstly the man who committed the rape, needs jailing. Rape is rape end of! Next we all need to reflect on just how poor and desperate some families are. By virtue of the fact everyone on here has access to a computer and can also read it is likely very difficult to empathize in any way with just how desperate and morally bankrupt these parents are. The level of poverty and desperation is off the scale here and I can only assume the mother (and maybe the father) came from a home and upbringing where there was zero affection, likely child abuse and no sense of family belonging. This young girl will do a runner and end up in a bar somewhere and when she has kids the cycle will continue. This is all a reflection on decades of corrupt self serving politicians who have never given a dam_n about society or the people. No particular party, they are ALL to blame. Here Thailand is about to enter ASEAN and there are still children being sold by PARENTS!! for $60. How are the government supposed to stem the tide of human trafficking, when parents are implicit in the crimes! Shocking! as are many of the other stories on this thread. Welcome to 2013 or should that be 1213.

RAPE is RAPE when proven in a court of law. Over the years I have heard of many cases where the girl shouts rape for many reasons...one being caught in the act by a parent. I realise this is not what happened here but lets be careful in making sweeping generalisations

Edited by Mudcrab

Apart from the custom in this country, law enforcement needs improvement. It is or should be child molestation Thai or farang a simple definition needs enforcement. Like a lot of things it's a question of standards. The moment you start entertaining discussion from villagers, you've lost the argument.

Lock up the bastard and the mother for even contemplating what she did to this innocent girl who is now scarred for life. Send a message to every other deviate that it's not ok, Thai or farang, and especially Farangs who come to Thailand looking for this kind of Thing.

"you get what you settle for"

Edited by bangkokpoppys
  • Like 1

Well, these folks have certainly put the 'sin' in sod!

Now we see why, when parents can sell their daughter for 2000 baht, that regardless of how bad things get in this country, they will continue to sell their vote for 300-500 baht.

Firstly the man who committed the rape, needs jailing. Rape is rape end of! Next we all need to reflect on just how poor and desperate some families are. By virtue of the fact everyone on here has access to a computer and can also read it is likely very difficult to empathize in any way with just how desperate and morally bankrupt these parents are. The level of poverty and desperation is off the scale here and I can only assume the mother (and maybe the father) came from a home and upbringing where there was zero affection, likely child abuse and no sense of family belonging. This young girl will do a runner and end up in a bar somewhere and when she has kids the cycle will continue. This is all a reflection on decades of corrupt self serving politicians who have never given a dam_n about society or the people. No particular party, they are ALL to blame. Here Thailand is about to enter ASEAN and there are still children being sold by PARENTS!! for $60. How are the government supposed to stem the tide of human trafficking, when parents are implicit in the crimes! Shocking! as are many of the other stories on this thread. Welcome to 2013 or should that be 1213.

RAPE is RAPE when proven in a court of law. Over the years I have heard of many cases where the girl shouts rape for many reasons...one being caught in the act by a parent. I realise this is not what happened here but lets be careful in making sweeping generalisations

...but of course you had to bring this thing to the table!?

• Like 1

No I'm not - please don't twist my meaning. The majority of Thais still live in the countryside, unlike most western countries. The view of those Thais would come a lot closer to the 'vast majority' that you so flippantly toss out.

Also, the mysogynistic viewpoint I mentioned about rape is still prevelant here among all classes of Thais - what we get in the media is just the tip of the iceburg. It's all very well defending all things Thai but a more panoramic view would recognise that there are problems here that shouldn't be ignored.

Thailand has MANY MANY problems as does everywhere and there is nobody I know that has said it doesn't. Like other places it has problems with crime, violence and sexual predators. However there has been a number of posts here that have stated things that Thais have no morals and that the OP story is normal or common in Thailand when in fact it is not and selling your daughter is not acceptable by the vast majority of Thais but it certainly happens here and surely happens more than it does it richer and more developed countries such as the UK or US but not also not near the frequency it does in many other countries. The OP is about a sexual predator, immoral parents (likely very poor too) and a child rape. It is not a reflection of all Thai people or even any significant percentage of them in fact the vast majority of Thais would find this story sickening. Unless somebody has not clued you and others in, Thailand is a much less developed and poorer nation than most posters come from and unless you just want to be ridiculous then it is idiotic to believe you are not going to find more problems where route causes are usually poverty and lack of education ... on the other hand you would have to be completely blind not to see the leaps and bounds Thailand has come in the last decades in terms of becoming developed and improving in areas such as child exploitation and women's rights and opportunities.