Living In Thailand

Madlaplaine

Where are the children now, Europe or Thailand? Have they lived in Thailand previously, can speak Thai etc? If they were born in Europe and never lived in Thailand it could be quite difficult for them, especially in a provincial government school. And if they will be attending a provincial government school then they will receive a very poor education compared to Europe, have you considered this?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next off topic post about prostitution is getting a week off. Grow up and stop hijacking other people's topics.

Wow, you really cut this topic down to size.

Great job Cdnvic.

Hopefully the OP will be able to concentrate on the sensible replies now.

Madlaplaine,

You have money put aside for your childrens' education.

I assume that your children have not lived outside of Thailand for any length of time if at all.

You are giving your children a better start in life than a lot of Thais could possibly hope for.

You will be able to live on your pension, no problem.

"Have you put aside money to pay for contingencies such as;...

2) University education for 3 kids."

He said he has done that. A good university is not as expensive as many people believe.

KKU

Business = 8000 baht per term for tuition.

Science = 10000 baht per term.

"Sorry, but I think 1400 Euro is inadequate."

Since that is the amount he'll be getting, any suggestions on where he should take his family to live?

"...know that as a single male with my lifestyle and an inability to part with basics such as toilet paper that doesn't rip up my bum, I, as an individual, need at least 1500 euro a month..."

I think you've hit on the answer to that age old question;

"Why is the financial requirement for extensions for retirement higher than the extensions for marriage?

Terry

This is such a loaded question, that it is impossible to get the "right answer".

However, I take issue with your response on the cost of university. My ex finished her studies last year and I was shocked by the extra fees. Yes, you are correct the academic fee itself may be 10,000 baht, but then one has to add in the extra administrative fees and the course supply fees. Many students must travel away from their homes and live in dormitories and that adds costs. Even if they manage to live with a relative or in the same city as the school, they must pay some transport and living expense. On Phuket, my ex couldn't take her motorbike to school on many days because of the rain and instead took a taxi. Wham bam, there was 1000 baht down the crapper. The forced excursions, the forced celebrations (e.g. teachers day where the class actually wasted 2 days decorating a podium with flowers that they were forced to pay for themselves) and all the other nonsensical things adds to the cost.. The students need access to a computer and a printer. If not, the costs are even higher when it comes time to print a paper. Even using the internet shop costs baht.

The point of my longwinded response is that on the surface, many things look less costly in Thailand. Unfortunately, once you bring them up to an acceptable standard or allow for the extras, those low costs are not so low anymore. You pay for it in some way. It all depends upon what an acceptable standard is for some. And on that no one can say as we all have different hot button issues.

• Like 1

Next off topic post about prostitution is getting a week off. Grow up and stop hijacking other people's topics.

Great job Cdnvic.

Madlaplaine,

I assume that your children have not lived outside of Thailand for any length of time if at all.

You are giving your children a better start in life than a lot of Thais could possibly hope for.

Yes as of today he may be able to live off his pension.

Two things not mentioned, inflation and exchange rates, lets see how he goes in 10 years time.

Not mentioned, insurance for house car and family, not mentioned travel costs for family holidays, the OP may well be happy watching the sun set on the paddy fields every evening, what about his family?

I watched a Thai family of four in a junk food place the other day, the bill was 700 baht, thats before they had watched a movie or been to a theme park.

Does the OP intend taking his away for breaks on Thai holidays?

Not mentioned the ancillary costs his wife should protect him from, eg begging family.

Does the OP know the cost of root canal treatment, that could wipe out his budget for the month.

I could go on, those living here know what happens and will no doubt chip in with what I have missed.

• Like 1

Sounds like more than enough cash for that area dude even with your big family

If you don't want your children to be educated to any standard,I agree.

I have a pal in that area - his daughter went to a local village school and just finished a degree from Thamassat.

"Why is the financial requirement for extensions for retirement higher than the extensions for marriage?

Maybe because you can't work if on a retirement visa whistling.gif and if you are married, you have a wife to look after you.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

Great job Cdnvic.

Madlaplaine,

Yes as of today he may be able to live off his pension.

Two things not mentioned, inflation and exchange rates, lets see how he goes in 10 years time.

Not mentioned, insurance for house car and family, not mentioned travel costs for family holidays, the OP may well be happy watching the sun set on the paddy fields every evening, what about his family?

I watched a Thai family of four in a junk food place the other day, the bill was 700 baht, thats before they had watched a movie or been to a theme park.

Does the OP intend taking his away for breaks on Thai holidays?

Not mentioned the ancillary costs his wife should protect him from, eg begging family.

Does the OP know the cost of root canal treatment, that could wipe out his budget for the month.

I could go on, those living here know what happens and will no doubt chip in with what I have missed.

Fair comment, but not necessarily relevant.

The OP could stay in Europe and continue to send money to support his family. His income is in Euros, so inflation and exchange rates will have the same impact whether he is living in Thailand or not.

Insurance for house car and family, travel costs for family holidays will be the same whether he is living in Thailand or Europe

I would imagine that maintaining a home in Europe, perhaps a vehicle, as well as living costs would eat up a fair amount of his 1400 Euro pension. So not leaving too much for taking care of his family in Thailand.

Yes, health insurance is a concern, but hopefully the money that he saves by moving here will cover the cost of that.

I would imagine that maintaining a home in Europe, perhaps a vehicle, as well as living costs would eat up a fair amount of his 1400 Euro pension. So not leaving too much for taking care of his family in Thailand.

Yes, health insurance is a concern, but hopefully the money that he saves by moving here will cover the cost of that.

Insurance is an American obsession, mostly other people in the world don't use it.

The exchange rate is just as likely to get better as it is to get worse.

At least here, you don't die because you don't have the money to heat your home.

Not being able to afford junk food is a good thing, my kid's have never been to McD, and never will with my money.

1400E should be fine if you're not extravagant.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Simple Lifestyle with lots of sense ...1400E would be enough...3 kids to the equation adds up on the stress level for the unexpected...but I am sure you have already something on the backup not mentioned so it should be all good.

I agree that Thailand looks cheap on the onset but daily living here and trying to move up to some level of comfort means at times it is actually more expensive than you think....not drinking or smoking helps a lot in the long run.

Personally I think nothing less than 80,000 is comfortable for a couple that is living simply....I personally am planning for 120,000 - 150,000 a month so that I can be comfortable.

• Like 2

Insurance is an American obsession, mostly other people in the world don't use it.

The exchange rate is just as likely to get better as it is to get worse.

At least here, you don't die because you don't have the money to heat your home.

Not being able to afford junk food is a good thing, my kid's have never been to McD, and never will with my money.

1400E should be fine if you're not extravagant.

Perhaps if the Brit that is gravely ill and the topic of another thread had an "obsession" with health insurance he wouldn't be in dire straits now? I am not an American and can assure you that health coverage is a major concern. Only a fool doesn't attend to his health care provision. My neighbours all paid close attention to it and they were a diverse range of nationalities. If you are comfortable using a provincial hospital and not worried about whether they have reused dirty equipment on you, then that's your perogative. I have no intention of contracting an infection because some cut rate budget chop shop has sterilization equipment that should have been scrapped a decade ago.

An elderly person may not need wory about heating his home if he is not up north, but he can dehydrate in his home if he doesn't have some AC. I don't know about you, but the prospect of trying to sleep when the temperature is 30C+ with a relative humidity of 75%+ isn't the highlight of my night. One of the reasons so many of the older expat demographic dies suddently is that they do not appreciate the strain that high temperature and humidity puts on their hearts.

You sound like a bundle of joy with your anti McD position. What harm does it do a kid to go and have a chicken burger or an ice cream cone with his pals after school? My father may have been a tough guy, but he never told me how to spend my allowance. I grew up ok and am self sufficient. I didn't hang out at a fast food joint either.

Edited by geriatrickid

I live in Sri Racha (Chonburi Province) wife and one paid fulltime worker I am 65 fully health covered 130,000 bhat a year + wife has cover does not cost too much she is 41 we have no kids wife works. I spend 65,000 to 70,000 bhat a month and live well but I have a available income of 150,000 a month if required with out touching my capital. We rent a 3 bedroom single level house by the sea we have 2 dogs and 4 cats and we have rented the next door land and popped a small school on it for my wife to teach in some times I help her if I am board she makes close to 50k a month. We both own our own cars. I do not smoke and drink not much theses day gone past it. So to answer your question yes you be fine for say 5 to 7 years then the money pressure will come on. Stay healthy and you may just get by. Best of luck

• Like 1

Maybe because you can't work if on a retirement visa whistling.gif and if you are married, you have a wife to look after you.

Brilliant observation. I've been trying to figure that out for years, and it just pops off your fingers like it was obvious!

agree with you whiteman ....too many people plan on the bare minimum and as I have posted before...those scary sums given to you by the financial planners seems ridiculous but are actually real.

120,000 - 150,000 gives you the peace of mine knowing that you have that buffer per month...don't have to go out and waste it all but it's good knowing you have tha buffered up for inflation.

If you don't smoke, drink, have no general health problems and have a realistic lifestyle you will be happy here...if not best plan on having some form of side income and come with a healthy amount stashed away for a rainy day and you will be happy as a lark !

• Like 2

agree with you whiteman ....too many people plan on the bare minimum and as I have posted before...those scary sums given to you by the financial planners seems ridiculous but are actually real.

120,000 - 150,000 gives you the peace of mine knowing that you have that buffer per month...don't have to go out and waste it all but it's good knowing you have tha buffered up for inflation.

If you don't smoke, drink, have no general health problems and have a realistic lifestyle you will be happy here...if not best plan on having some form of side income and come with a healthy amount stashed away for a rainy day and you will be happy as a lark !

What kind of job would pay 150,000 in Thailand and how much would the same job pay in the West?

I think a doctor in Thailand makes about 150,000 and a doctor in the West makes about $150,000.00

What kind of job would pay 150,000 in Thailand and how much would the same job pay in the West?

I think a doctor in Thailand makes about 150,000 and a doctor in the West makes about $150,000.00

It is not a job it was my personal plan for my retirement which I am now at in my life in Thailand. By the way I sold life insurance and the rest of covers such as health and income replacement for 30 years and have seen so many retire over my time with not enough and I did not want to be one of them. I tried to help them but many did not believe and carried onwith other pressing consumption things. What I did was deferred consumption and I am where I am now in life so I can say the above info which is true and not BS

It is not a job it was my personal plan for my retirement which I am now at in my life in Thailand. By the way I sold life insurance and the rest of covers such as health and income replacement for 30 years and have seen so many retire over my time with not enough and I did not want to be one of them. I tried to help them but many did not believe and carried onwith other pressing consumption things. What I did was deferred consumption and I am where I am now in life so I can say the above info which is true and not BS

I understand. I was just saying the amount you are suggesting is in the top 1% of earnings of Thai people. I doubt you would suggest a person moving to the states needs $150,000 to live.

There are a few jobs that pay that kind of money but a retired guy may not be the first choice for a position with a multi-national and the associated full expat package.

A retired guy with specific, in-demand skills in things like O & G could probably do quite lucrative consultancy work but if one is planning on being employed by a Thai company, 150,000 a month will be pie in the sky for the most part.

There are a few jobs that pay that kind of money but a retired guy may not be the first choice for a position with a multi-national and the associated full expat package.

A retired guy with specific, in-demand skills in things like O & G could probably do quite lucrative consultancy work but if one is planning on being employed by a Thai company, 150,000 a month will be pie in the sky for the most part.

I believe he is talking about having an income source from investments or property, well done to him, surprised the wolves havent gone for the jugular as they usually do with claims of BS or jealousy.

I believe he is talking about having an income source from investments or property, well done to him, surprised the wolves havent gone for the jugular as they usually do with claims of BS or jealousy.

I think it depends also on your origin, I'm from an Indian Ocean Third World country and I do know about having a normal life. I left my home country some 30 years ago to come and work in Europe, and I also know about working the land for some of the food that I will use, my children and wife are from a small vilage in the northeast where you grow our own rice and veg from our garden and also have our own fish pond, chicken and some cow, now when I come to stay with my wife I do eat like the family, papaya salad and noodle soup. I have already a health insurance since 2 years now, cause I had to do it before 60 years and this I pay with a accident insurance which I had during my working period and this amount will be for always until I live. I put on this question on the forum cause as it will now be my new home and it's good to know other peoples opinions. Thanks you all for all the good advicethumbsup.gif SORRY NO JUNK FOOD!!!! I'm vegetarian.

CM Kelly...I agree that most Thais will not earn 150,000THB a month and honestly most don't need that amount to live by in their retirement as I can see in the familesi I have known...the thai network of family support is strong when one is down....and having lived here all their lives, we can't really compare that to a non-Thai

the 150k (USD$5000) is an amount an expat would need though as most of us have not much of a family here, we have no social security here, we always get quoted on the higher range at first and we have needs the Thais dont have that cost a lot more....like a good lamb steak !

I am sure some genius is going to show me how they live on 30,000 baht or less a month , support a wifey and 2 kids and the dosg / cats and be real proud of that , I am just stating I don't wish to join that brigade and want to have more so that I dont have to worry....

CM Kelly...I agree that most Thais will not earn 150,000THB a month and honestly most don't need that amount to live by in their retirement as I can see in the familesi I have known...the thai network of family support is strong when one is down....and having lived here all their lives, we can't really compare that to a non-Thai

the 150k (USD$5000) is an amount an expat would need though as most of us have not much of a family here, we have no social security here, we always get quoted on the higher range at first and we have needs the Thais dont have that cost a lot more....like a good lamb steak !

I am sure some genius is going to show me how they live on 30,000 baht or less a month , support a wifey and 2 kids and the dosg / cats and be real proud of that , I am just stating I don't wish to join that brigade and want to have more so that I dont have to worry....

No problem with any of that. But the poor guys who have never been to Thailand should realize that 150,000 a month makes one, one of the top wage earners in Thailand like a doctor or a nuclear physicist. I can see where it is nice to live on the top only 3% of Thailand does. Great if you can do it.