Army Officers Criticised For Protesting In Uniform: Thailand

webfact

Officers criticised for protesting in uniform

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Relatives of those killed by soldiers in May 1992 yesterday condemned the Army officers' protest against the ASTV Manager daily paper. Adul Kiewbariboon, chairman of the group, issued a statement and held a press conference to say the group feared the Army was becoming more powerful than the government.

Adul said all sides should try to rein in the unchecked power of the Army and urged Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to explain publicly that the military is not independent of the state.

He said officers in uniform clearly threatened the media and their protest in front of the paper twice - on Friday and Saturday - was wrong. It was an undemocratic act and he urged the Army to take disciplinary action against them.

Adul said believing that such a demonstration was acceptable was a danger to democracy, as Army Chief Prayuth Chan-ocha could always file libel charges against the paper if he felt he had been defamed.

"The Army is a state agency and not independent of the state - but such an action confuses the public and makes it believe the armed forces are independent. It's the duty of the government to ensure that no such thing occurs again."

Adul, meanwhile, urged the mass media to adhere to its ethics and asked all related associations, including the press council, to do their job properly.

Chairperson of the red-shirt Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship (DAAD) Thida Tavornsaet Tojirakarn defended the rights of soldiers under the constitution to protest. But she said they should not do so wearing uniforms.

"We think they have the right but it seems rather inappropriate… It's best they do it without the uniform."

She said the Army was less extreme than the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), which the paper is a mouthpiece for.

Opposition Democrat Party-list MP Ong-art Klampaiboon said the protest was a threat against the mass media and urged the Army to seek legal channels to address the issue instead.

Men in uniform protesting clearly constitutes a threat against civilians, said Ong-art, adding it was highly inappropriate.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-14

Ahh so the Democrats are now on the military is too powerful wavelength. Didn't seem to bother them when they needed the army's backing to get into power.

Maybe, what upsets the Democrats is not the inappropriate conduct, but that it protest may indicate a change in support, from the Democrats to the PTP. I have a feeling that Mr. Abhisit is on borrowed time.

Chairperson of the red-shirt Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship (DAAD) Thida Tavornsaet Tojirakarn defended the rights of soldiers under the constitution to protest.

Ironic to hear the Red Shirts defend the Army now.

He was defending the right of protest, not the army. He was being consistent.

I find the hand wringing of the fifth columnists that seek the overthrow of the duly elected civilian government of the popular PM to be slightly amusing. // Off topic comments edited out //

Edited by metisdead

It is all about self promotion of individuals in the Army. They deny servants in the army, many conscripts the right to protest, even last week at that temple on the border and at other riots in Bangkok a month or 2 ago, yet here they are IN UNIFORM while BEING PAID by the public treasury making dills of them selves over a few words that were probably correct anyway !!!!

I would hate to see these chaps in the heat of battle if they are offended so easily. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

They were not officers, as cited in the article. They were other ranks led by a sergeant. As such they would have needed permission, or more to the point, orders, even to leave their barracks in a sizable group in uniform.

The red shirt leader, Thida, is now saying that soldiers have a right to protest but it would be better, if they did it in civvies. If they were protesting outside a red shirt newspaper, she would say something different. Actually soldiers do not have the right to protest as a group whether in uniform or civvies.

• Like 1

I do wish that whoever writes these stories does some research before putting finger to keyboard.

An Officer is one who has taken a commission and is a leader of troops at whatever level.

A non-commisioned officer is a military person from lance/corporal up to Sergeant Major who has worked his way up the ranks and they are the people who really run the Army.

Privates are the basic soldiers who do most of the work but are not normally in command of anything.

A Warrant Officer is the most senior rank of non commissioned officers some of whom receive a Royal Warrant from the King or the most senior Generals.

99% of the military are scared of Warrant Officers including most senior officers even though they outrank them in the military scale.

Any ex military people form the west will tell you that Warrant Officers sit at the right hands of the gods.

Having explained that a little I personally feel that Adul Kiewbariboon, the ASTV Manager and chairman of the group, started the whole thing by insulting the head of the Army. If he had not done that then nothing would have happened. Has Adul issued an apology yet?

In the military it is called self inflicted.

• Like 1

Chairperson of the red-shirt Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship (DAAD) Thida Tavornsaet Tojirakarn defended the rights of soldiers under the constitution to protest.

Given her rather grizzled masculine appearance, I can understand someone mistaking her for a "he".

Additionally, there's no shortage of previous incidents of her not supporting other people's right to protests. Other than this episode, it would be difficult to find another one where she did.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

Given her rather grizzled masculine appearance, I can understand someone mistaking her for a "he".

Additionally, there's no shortage of previous incidents of her not supporting other people's right to protests. Other than this episode, it would be difficult to find another one where she did.

Ahh thats because these guys have big guns.. the red shirts like protests where the protestors are armed :)

Far too many clowns hiding behind uniforms....

The Army should not be involved, but it OK for the police. ph34r.png

Men in uniform protesting clearly constitutes a threat against civilians, said Ong-art, adding it was highly inappropriate.

Your comment is spot on, the police rally (in uniform), to show their support for the felon far away, if that isn't inappropriate i'm not sure what would be.

• Like 1

I find the hand wringing of the fifth columnists that seek the overthrow of the duly elected civilian government of the popular PM to be slightly amusing. // Off topic comments edited out //

I thought Thida was a lady although you use the male third person? Anyway, she is indeed defending the right of protest and making the point that it should be protest without uniform. (Think about this and extrapolate it a little). She is right.

"I find the hand wringing of the fifth columnists that seek the overthrow of the duly elected civilian government of the popular PM to be slightly amusing" - not as amusing as your blatant and increaing use of propoganda in your comments.

Most of the posters on TV are not against democracy. If you think the current government act in support and furtherence of democracy and the best interests of the people of Thailand - then good luck to you.

I do wish that whoever writes these stories does some research before putting finger to keyboard.

An Officer is one who has taken a commission and is a leader of troops at whatever level.

A non-commisioned officer is a military person from lance/corporal up to Sergeant Major who has worked his way up the ranks and they are the people who really run the Army.

Privates are the basic soldiers who do most of the work but are not normally in command of anything.

A Warrant Officer is the most senior rank of non commissioned officers some of whom receive a Royal Warrant from the King or the most senior Generals.

99% of the military are scared of Warrant Officers including most senior officers even though they outrank them in the military scale.

Any ex military people form the west will tell you that Warrant Officers sit at the right hands of the gods.

Having explained that a little I personally feel that Adul Kiewbariboon, the ASTV Manager and chairman of the group, started the whole thing by insulting the head of the Army. If he had not done that then nothing would have happened. Has Adul issued an apology yet?

Are you an expert of military ranks, culutre and customs within the Thai army? Or is your description of another country's armed forces ranking and social structure. Or is it just twaddle? 99% scared of WO's - I don't think so.

If everyone has the right of protest and free speech then everyone should be able to do this without the fear of intimidation and threat. Insult, slander, and libel can be dealt with lawfully.

Ahh so the Democrats are now on the military is too powerful wavelength. Didn't seem to bother them when they needed the army's backing to get into power.

Maybe, what upsets the Democrats is not the inappropriate conduct, but that it protest may indicate a change in support, from the Democrats to the PTP. I have a feeling that Mr. Abhisit is on borrowed time.

What are you condemning? The message or the messenger?

Not sure you can see through the wood

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Touched a nerve I see.Truth hurts apparently.

Incidentally I see in the post above you are back to your old habit of insulting women.I suggest you desist not only because it will get you into trouble again but because it adds nothing to the discussion.Thanks.

I don't think too many people would object if she was confined to one appearance per year at the end of October in a pointy hat

Are you an expert of military ranks, culutre and customs within the Thai army? Or is your description of another country's armed forces ranking and social structure. Or is it just twaddle? 99% scared of WO's - I don't think so.

If everyone has the right of protest and free speech then everyone should be able to do this without the fear of intimidation and threat. Insult, slander, and libel can be dealt with lawfully.

Warrant officers are career soldiers who have proved themselves to be the brightest and the best, they are the upholders of tradition and discipline, with lots of experience and at the peak of their career. A junior officer is at the beginning of his career, and he will give them the utmost respect and attention, accept their advice and suggestions closely, or find his career in tatters.

Scared of them, perhaps not. The relationship is a bit like an apprentice snake charmer and his cobra. An RSM would be a king cobra, not for an apprentice to trifle with.

• Like 1

What are you condemning? The message or the messenger?

Not sure you can see through the wood

Ahh, but I can.

You know there is an old saying that what goes around comes around. The fortune cookie karma message thing.

The backers of the Democrats and and supporters of a military coup are now shocked to see that the army does as it pleases, including turning against its once allies. The protest would not have occurred unless there was tacit support within the army command. Nothing is spontaneous in this matter.

I believe it is wrong for the army to engage in such protests.There is no justification to do so. However, the very same people who were supporters of the illegal military intervention in the civilian government(s) of Thailand have now soiled their pants over this small protest.

Word up dawg, yee get what yee sow and you folks have sowed the seeds of military interference.

How come they were not armed?

Their purpose was to threaten and or nudge with their presence. These soldiers work for the tax payer, simple as that.

they should all be fired on the spot, regardless of if it was a Yellow or Red shirt media they were intimidating. Now we have the Green shirts lead by that national Parks guy who Yinluck fired for kicking out land pouches, who steel land from the Thai people, I bet that will confuse the Army shirts now.

Not in the Thai military, no I haven't. Have you?

Have you ever been in the military of any country?

I have for 25 years and was proud to do so.

I have also served alongside different countries military and they are more or less the same in the way that they are constructed.

How come they were not armed?

Their purpose was to threaten and or nudge with their presence. These soldiers work for the tax payer, simple as that.

they should all be fired on the spot, regardless of if it was a Yellow or Red shirt media they were intimidating. Now we have the Green shirts lead by that national Parks guy who Yinluck fired for kicking out land pouches, who steel land from the Thai people, I bet that will confuse the Army shirts now.

If you want to follow that line of reasoning the Police, civil administration and most importantly the government ALL work for the tax payer (supposedly).

Do you think that they should all be fired too? IMPO the answer is yes.