Fewer Thai Children Seen Frequenting Libraries: Education

webfact

It isn't just Thailand. The US and UK (and probably many other places) have been closing libraries and shortening hours they are open as they see their use drop by both children and mostly adults. In fact the entire printing industry has seen big declines since people started getting their news, books and information online.

While this is true, ie, the US closing libraries, there is no comparison with regard to sheer numbers or to national literacy. The reasons for closing libraries in the US is financial, not because of a lack of readers. In any case, literacy in the US is light years ahead of Thailand. On the other hand, I constantly meet Thais who can't even read Thai, let alone English, or who can't multiply 4 X 5. There's no comparison, really.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't just Thailand. The US and UK (and probably many other places) have been closing libraries and shortening hours they are open as they see their use drop by both children and mostly adults. In fact the entire printing industry has seen big declines since people started getting their news, books and information online.

While this is true, ie, the US closing libraries, there is no comparison with regard to sheer numbers or to national literacy. The reasons for closing libraries in the US is financial, not because of a lack of readers. In any case, literacy in the US is light years ahead of Thailand. On the other hand, I constantly meet Thais who can't even read Thai, let alone English, or who can't multiply 4 X 5. There's no comparison, really.

Ya there is a comparison really. 92% Thailand 99% UK and US.

Actually you are absolutely wrong when it comes to both UK and US having declining numbers of people using libraries. The entire print media has seen huge losses over the years because of people moving away from printed material. I am not sure what your other points are. Is it surprising that a less developed nation doesn't have the same literacy rate as one of the most developed and richest countries in the world? Thailand no doubt is moving in the right direction when it comes to increasing literacy, development and becoming a less poverty stricken nation and this is easy to see and verify.

One of the things you sometimes see in under developed countries that move quickly towards becoming significantly more developed is they sometimes skip certain technology. Example; a country doesn't need to go through a phase of using records or cassettes to become a big consumer of music and instead can move right into CDs. Another example is skipping the widespread use of land line phones and moving right into cellular. I am not saying this is the case here when it comes to libraries but I am sure this is part of it. Libraries are going to be far and few between as technology continues to evolve.

To be clear, I am not saying Thailand doesn't need to increase literacy and far from it but the bottom line is they are moving in the right direction and things are improving. The only reason to compare something like this to the worlds most developed nations is to have a goal or where you want to be and to learn lessons from these countries in terms of doing it better.

When it comes to most things and probably including literacy Thailand probably falls in the middle when it comes to all countries. The good thing is that most of these things are improving over the last few decades.

Edited by Nisa

Thais are not a nation that reads, unless it's in cartoon form.

But to be fair this a growing trend around the world, especially amongst younger people. Those of us who can remember reading under the blankets by torchlight as kids are a dying breed!

• Like 1

Think our intrepid Nation Reporter has never been in frickin library....

Would it not be a bad idea if Ms Y made available free on line literature e-books to those kids ++ of the nation that got the pads? AND for those that did not .....make 'em available on line anyways????

fk it beer time.......

You'll need to explain these numbers a little. Are you saying 92% literacy in Thailand compared to 99% in US and UK? The numbers, by themselves, are meaningless.

where are you meeting these thais.

I dont think i know any thais who cant read

I think SpiderMike has it by the short and curlies. The issue comes down to making the content attractive to young readers so they tend to go to books. Even if that constitutes eKindle etc, at least they should be reading. Nothing wrong with a comic book on science as long as they are not reading mindless crap. My eldest daughter now 7, comes home with books and she loves reading to me as I do helping her. However, the education I have for her is sadly, way out of reach of the average Thai. Even though I struggle with the cost and I watch her read books for 12 year olds now, that result is laying a great foundation for her future. The 'education' system here revolves around the academic overseers being able to entice younger kids to actually read for themselves. The media can be print or computer but technology is pushing us more to the screens. If the result is the same I have no issue, just that it is not easily quantifiable if not in hard copy format.

Very sad to see the sanctimonious expats declaiming about Thais not reading.....

I commuted for a few years into London and of course everybody read the Times, did the crossword or read Conrad, Wells and Shakespeare..give us a break!!!!!!

Me? Always bought the Times..not to read..to cover up the evidence of my fantasies about the 4 school uniformed teenies that always got in my compartment...lol

Edited by David006

Thailand has libraries? I found a small one in Lumpini Park, and university libraries elsewhere. Plus a private one near Silom that charges membership fees. Everyone else I see rents "cartoon books" at book rental shops. Tell me, where are Thai kids supposed to go to visit all these great libraries?

Don't Thai schools have libraries?

You'll need to explain these numbers a little. Are you saying 92% literacy in Thailand compared to 99% in US and UK? The numbers, by themselves, are meaningless.

I guess they are meaningless if you are talking about ratio of sneakers to shoes in a given country but if you are talking about literacy then why would the "literacy rate" of the country be meaningless?

Edited by Nisa

This is a hugely important topic. It may be one of the determining factors, when it comes to Thailand maintiaining it's place in the world. I see them slipping dramatically over the next 30 years. The fact that most Thai people simply refuse to read books, newspapers without a lot of photos, etc, may push them back, and prevent the country from developing a truly literate base. Of course the educators, and the parents are largely to blame. But, how do you convince a child that reading is a good thing for them to do with their time, when they do not have a single friend, or peer who reads? Even smart people rarely pick up a book in this truly enigmatic country.

Since Thailand has been moving steadily up over the last 40 years and reading has been declining I wonder what would trigger this dramatic slippage? Are other countries reading a lot more of late?

http://www.unescobkk.org/education/news/article/thai-people-to-read-more/

Sorry, yes that is the literacy rate. So line up 100 Thais and 100 Americans and you got 9 people out of 200 who can't read.smile.png

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Sorry, yes that is the literacy rate. So line up 100 Thais and 100 Americans and you got 9 people out of 200 who can't read.smile.png

The 99% is not a fact it is assumed:

For highly developed/high income countries where literacy statistics were not collected, a rate of 99% was assumed.

http://en.wikipedia....y_literacy_rate

USA is quite a bit less according tö http://www.livescience.com/3211-14-percent-adults-read.html

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

People used to look down on Gutenberg's printed books. They preferred books produced by hand...

Who told you that?

Look it up. It's before trolling.

Edited by rijb

Are there many Thai author's writing interesting novels? Action, mystery, fantasy ,comedy etc

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Most of the books my wife and daughter read and those I see in family and friends houses are nonfiction. Most are biographical, self-awareness and/or topic related such as learning English, love / relationships or Buddhism. Can't speak for everyone else but just what I see. On the other hand when you go to the book fairs they have in Bangkok they are packed with tons of people buying books of all different types.

According to the OP, "Associate Professor Kulwara Chupongpairod said Thai people preferred watching or listening rather than reading as that activity required more concentration."

What reading actually requires is more 'effort',, compared to watching or listening, thus we can really see why the reading rates are diminishing!

Laziness can be found in abundance here....

-mel.

• Like 1

Reading is a cultural parenting thing. It starts in the home. When was the last time that you ever saw books in a Thai home? Thais don't read , simple fact. Why in the world would library membership be noteworthy? Thais would never be able to tell anyone where the nearest library was. There is a "private" fee based library on the 5th floor of the Emporium, known as the "design center," but most young Thais that know about it and go there seem to use it to play games on line more than any reading. You would never see more adult parent type Thais in such a place where reading and learning takes place.

you could make the same comment re books in an Aussie home or I daresay in a US home where the parents are under 40 years old. people don't read any more on the scale that they used to.

Interesting to read about the riots in London last year (or was that the year before)....not ONE bookshop was raided or trashed but many shops with TV's, electonics computers etc were.

Computers, Ipads etc have to a certain extent rendered books uneccessary sadly. Personally I still enjoy re-reading books books that were written many years ago to gain perspective on what was was, and what we have become.

Edited by Mudcrab

According to the OP, "Associate Professor Kulwara Chupongpairod said Thai people preferred watching or listening rather than reading as that activity required more concentration."

What reading actually requires is more 'effort',, compared to watching or listening, thus we can really see why the reading rates are diminishing!

-mel.

Is rice farming still the job of more Thai people than any other? Have you ever worked in a rice field?

• Like 1

-mel.

Is rice farming still the job of more Thai people than any other? Have you ever worked in a rice field?

Am sure he has never worked 10 to 12 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week for $9 a day either like so many of these lazy freaking Thais do.

• Like 1

-mel.

Am sure he has never worked 10 to 12 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week for $9 a day either like so many of these lazy freaking Thais do.

We're talking about school children here, not adults. Crazy comparison!! :o

-mel.