Weird Places Around Thailand Not Mentioned In Lonely Planet - An Information Trade

chrisbacke

In your humble opinion, how weird is Thailand?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi all,

I'm coming to Thailand for awhile to research the more unusual places in the country - the sort that make the locals go OMG, and/or the sort of places that may not necessarily make it into a mainstream guide book. I've very nearly finished a book on Korea's weird and wild places, including a park holding the umbilical cords of one king's children, a faithful dog park, and a museum dedicated to chicken art, to name just a few. There's a publisher in line, but if they don't pick it up I'll self-publish it like I have my last two books =)

Ideally, you remember how to get there - the more directions the better! For the trade - as a thanks for helping gesture, I'd be happy to send you a PDF of the book about Korea when it's all finished (just send an e-mail to khrisinthailand at gmail - no spam or newsletters). Post here so everyone can see, or just e-mail directly. Thanks a bunch :)

• Like 1

@davejones, thanks for the idea! I'll have to check that out.

@edwinchester, thanks for the encouragement.

I've actually spent most of the last five years traveling around South Korea (teaching to stay legal and pay the bills), and the possibly-titled "Weird and Wonderful Korea" will be the result. For now, anyone interested in seeing Korea's weird side can check out my blog ("Chris in South Korea").

Any other weird, OMG / <deleted> type of places? The entire place doesn't *have* to be weird, to be sure - for example, there's a theme park in southern South Korea that looks all normal... until you climb the hill in the back and discover the stone statues of Buddhist hell punishment..

1. which LP? the curent ones-last 3-4 years, contain MUCH less of info on less-usual sites as the previous ones- by that faithfulJoe Cummings. try to get your hands on an older-not too hard around Khaosarn-2nd hand book shops.

2. Asiabooks used to sell books about/like Unusual BKK (same series also Jakarta, KUL)- dont know if still in stock, but if so- or again get a 2nd hand one, will have loads of -for farang-- o so cutey/strangey things

3. Thai do not visit that often such places- when having the day off, they tend to go to temples (many also rather unknown to farang) which are said to have magic cures for all types of ailments etc.-or the this week truely winning nrs of the lottery, etc.

Great post, and looking forward to the replies. I love weird things, but haven't seen too many in Thailand. Not sure if a 1-million bottle temple counts as weird.

http://youtu.be/1sUTwZuM5jA

Wat lahn kuat in Khun Han (southern SiSaket province) is pretty weird to visit, but it is in the most recent edition of Lonely Planet

Hi,

I have sent you an email.

Khao No mountain and Wat Khao Lo some 50 km north of Nakhon Sawon. The 'mountain' and surrounding hills are total'y contrary to the rice plains all around and make for very dramatic scenery. There is a path going to the top of the mountain and a cave and Buddha Image there. At around 1800 thousands of bats fly out of another cave into the night sky. There are many legends of ghosts and and haunting.

Cheers,

Gladiator

[snip]

...for example, there's a theme park in southern South Korea that looks all normal... until you climb the hill in the back and discover the stone statues of Buddhist hell punishment..

Buddhist hell punishment?

Oh, you mean like the display at the wat across from the Mae Kaet Noi School (sorry, don't have name of wat) just off the highway running between Meijo and San Sai, on what's called Ban Mae Du (road), outside Chiangmai?

Truly stimulating! Dante could have found inspiration here.

Great post, and looking forward to the replies. I love weird things, but haven't seen too many in Thailand. Not sure if a 1-million bottle temple counts as weird.

http://youtu.be/1sUTwZuM5jA

Wat lahn kuat in Khun Han (southern SiSaket province) is pretty weird to visit, but it is in the most recent edition of Lonely Planet

I didn't realize it was in Lonely Planet, but I don't think I've ever owned a Lonely Planet book anyway. biggrin.png