The Retirement Visa – Questions

As he will have tourist visa flight/entry should not be a problem but he should visit immigration as soon as the money is in Thailand to convert to a non immigrant O visa entry (he does not have to wait for tourist visa to end or extend). They should be able to do this at Chiang Mai - it is for marriage that they require you visit Bangkok for the conversion process. Cost will be 2,000 baht and require proof of financials in Thailand and some evidence of where living. Then during last 30 days of entry he extends for retirement with financials here two months proof and normal paperwork.

For wife, if she is age 50 or over Portland will likely provide a non immigrant O visa for entry on basis of checking retirement options (which may be easier than dependent as he will not yet be on extension of stay). If not over age 50 she may have to obtain a tourist visa to cover entry and then exit after husband gets extension with proof of marriage and his extension to obtain a non immigrant visa to be able to start the matching extensions of stay process.

• Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a letter from Australian Centrelink listing all my assets and bank balances. I used this to get my non immigrant O in Brisbane. Will this be ok for a retirement visa application. I also have a bank account here in Thailand.

Edited by oldsailor35

I have a letter from Australian Centrelink listing all my assets and bank balances. I used this to get my non immigrant O in Brisbane. Will this be ok for a retirement visa application. I also have a bank account here in Thailand.

For a visa, applied for at a Thai consulate it should be enugh, providing the income is high enough and the leter is not to late. But also depedns gratly on where you will apply for the visa.

Either Treeface got some very bad advice at CM Immigration or the rules have changed about the "two step" process for a retirement visa. I know somehow who did this in Chiang Mai as recently as November.

I've been to CM Immigration three times in the past two weeks (getting medical extensions for others) and the same chubby-face gal with short hair is working the center counter, which is now suppose to be an information counter. I've heard her give some bad advice to people. Also, I don't remember seeing her there last year.

At CM Immigration, if someone tells me something I don't like, I always politely get in another line and talk with another official. If three officials tell me the same thing, then I decide it must be true. (Rarely do three officials agree, when asked the same question!)

On the question of 800,000 in a Thai bank, is it acceptable to have it in say Bangkok Bank Foreign Exchange Account? So if a person deposits say the equivalent of one million baht in sterling is this acceptable to immigration?

You would always need to deposit more than 800,000 baht worth because of currency exchange fluctuations. The worth cannot be under 800,000 baht during the seasoning period. I don't believe they only check the currency exchange value at the date of applying for the extensions, but I'm not sure on this.

I think you got really bad info at CM. I am almost certain you can apply for a change of visa status from a 30 day stamp or tourist visa to an O visa at CM as part of the two step process, with the second step being application for annual extension based on retirement. If you don't believe that, if you're going to Laos you can EASILY get a single entry O there at the Thai embassy just based on being over age 50 stating you will be applying for a retirement extension in Thailand. Land crossings only get a 15 day stamp (air entries 30).

You cannot apply DIRECTLY for an extension of stay with a tourist visa, 30 day or 15 day stamp. Somehow an O visa MUST be the first step. You can get an O visa in the US, in Laos or Malaysia for example, or as the first step of a two part process using a change of visa status, yes I believe, available at CM. I think entering on a 15 day stamp hoping for a change of visa status is probably a bad idea. May be seen as not enough time left on that stay to allow for a change of visa status. Those entering on 30 day stamps should hurry into immigration, that's why tourist visas are better, more time.

I reckon you had COMMUNICATION issues at CM. If the applicant shows up asking for a CHANGE OF VISA STATUS and ready to provide FINANCIAL qualification for retirement extension later, I believe he would be good to go. It is true offices that don't do this can refer applicants to do the first step in Bangkok. I am pretty certain CM does offer change of visa status though. Of course policies can change but in this case I strongly doubt it.

If CM is really not doing change of visa status anymore, that would be rather big news. Again, I doubt it.

time for an update. Thanks to Jingthing's reminding. I had my wife called Embassy in NYC. It's an official counsulate which offers rerirement VISA.

After explain our situation, My wife was told to write a invitation letter to my dad and explain her relationship to my dad. With that letter, my dad got an none- O visa 90 days single entry.

It make things much easier now. My dad had arrived CM and will open bank account in K bank @ Tapae main branch tomorrow.

Thanks again for all advice.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have a Thai agency handle my "retirement" visa, they do the 90 day report for me so I don't need to worry about it, and they also do all the paperwork for the renewal, re-entry etc once a year, at which time I go to the immigration with her as I understand that I am required to present myself in person to the officers and sign the paperwork infront of them.

Someone is trying to tell me that I do not need to go in person once a year for the renewal and I think it is a requirement that you do go in person for that. Can you just clear up this point for me so I can be sure I am correct. Thanks very much.

I've known of situations where a third party has obtained a retirement extension for someone, but it's always been when the person was in hospital and the person making the application had doctor's letter, letter from hospital (both with a lot of official-looking stamps), photo of the person in hospital bed surrounded by nurses, and a limited power of attorney.

I don't think a visa agent can do this for a healthy person. I strongly suggest staying away from such an agent because I'd doubt the validity of the stamps they obtain.

I was at Khon Kaen Immigration Office last week and a Lady from Laos was there with a big pile of Laos Passports together with TM7 forms.

Applying for extensions.

Don't know for sure, but I think the rules are different for people from adjacent countries.

I was at Khon Kaen Immigration Office last week and a Lady from Laos was there with a big pile of Laos Passports together with TM7 forms.

Applying for extensions.

I have seen that at Phibun before but all the applicants showed up before everything was finalized.

Hi, I have a Thai agency handle my "retirement" visa, they do the 90 day report for me so I don't need to worry about it, and they also do all the paperwork for the renewal, re-entry etc once a year, at which time I go to the immigration with her as I understand that I am required to present myself in person to the officers and sign the paperwork infront of them.

Someone is trying to tell me that I do not need to go in person once a year for the renewal and I think it is a requirement that you do go in person for that. Can you just clear up this point for me so I can be sure I am correct. Thanks very much.

Hey Peter,

My non O-A muti. is coming up to be renewed. I arrived On 1 Nov 2011 on it and went to Cambodia and got another year. My question is what all paperwork will I need for renewal? any help thanks

Do you want a new O-A visa from your home country or do you want an extension of stay from immigration inside Thailand? For extension of stay you will require financial proof of 800k in bank account or 65k per month income or combination and some proof of where you live, copies of passport/visa/entries/departure card and TM.7 form with 4x6cm photo on back - if application outside of Bangkok several copies will likely be required. Fee will be 1,900 baht.

Do you want a new O-A visa from your home country or do you want an extension of stay from immigration inside Thailand? For extension of stay you will require financial proof of 800k in bank account or 65k per month income or combination and some proof of where you live, copies of passport/visa/entries/departure card and TM.7 form with 4x6cm photo on back - if application outside of Bangkok several copies will likely be required. Fee will be 1,900 baht.

Thanks for the fast reply...Not want the O-A . I just will be doing a extension inside Thailand I have the money in bank. Just was not sure what all I need to take with me...THANKS

Guys, sort of timely that this thread has resurfaced as I have some questions similar to the OP's.

I went to apply for a Thai Driver's Licence and while the Transport Dept were happy to accept my application, the Immigration would not (quite correctly) issue the needed form to confirm my residence status (I was hoping).

Usually I only every stay in Thailand for a few months at a time, usually just under 3 months as I obtain a standard 60 Tourist Visa in my home country and get an extension on that, then nick off back home to attend to matters here.

Well, David48 doesn't stay that age forever and David50 might be looking for a Retirement Visa so what I want to do is ...

Arrive in Thailand on the standard 30 visa exempt stamp at the Airport then visit my local Immigration Centre at Samut Prakan and apply for the retirement Visa.

The B800,000 is no problem, and I know that it has to be seasoned for 60 days before applying.

I can organise that here (I hope)

1/ Can I do this?

2/ What is the Cost?

3/ What is the procedure?

4/ At the end of the day, I just want the drivers licence ... am I taking the correct, easiest and least expensive option?

5/ Can I do this at Samut Prakan?

6/ Am I missing anything obvious?

Thanks in advance to the knowledgeable folk here ... thumbsup.gif

David48 cowboy.gif

A 30 day visa exempt might require a ticket out of the country, why don't you get a non-O visa to start with?

Secondly, for conversion you might be send to Bangkok.

Conversion is 2,000 baht and the 1 year extension 1,900 baht. The extension you can do in Samut Prakan.

• Like 1

Be sure you can fly here to obtain that 30 day entry - a better choice might be to visit/mail a Consulate for a single entry non immigrant O visa for your entry - you will need in any case.

1. See above - you can not obtain a retirement visa but you can obtain a single entry O visa for 2,000 baht (no need for money seasoning for this). What you want is a one year extension of stay for retirement and normally that would be available 60 days later for an additional 1,900 baht and new financial proof.

2. As above. Add the costs of paperwork/copies/financial proof.

3. As above. Make application to obtain visa (might require trip to Bangkok Immigration from some locations) and then make the application for extension of stay.

4. If you are not planning to live here you do not need a DL as your home license/international can be used for visits. You can easily obtain letter of residence from your Embassy if that is the main reason.

5. Believe they may defer to Jomtien as that is the main office for that area and not sure they would do the conversion of entry.

6. ?

• Like 1

Thanks for the super quick responses above ... amazing.

Still have a few questions ...

I want a Thai drivers licence. Yes, I had an international licence last time, but there were complications with insurance when I wished to hire a car.

Are you saying that I can not just apply for a Retirement Visa in Thailand? I have to convert from something?

If the 'single entry O visa for 2,000 baht' obtained in my home country is enough and I can get a drivers licence on that ... then I should forget about a 'Retirement Visa'?

Mario ... I understand the risks about coming here on Visa exempt stamp with no outward bound flight within the 30 day period ... but thanks for reminding me.

Thanks again ...

The only visa you can obtain in Thailand is a single entry non immigrant in the process of extension of stay. You can get that same 90 day visa in your home country so no reason to do here - and if you do not actually want to extend for retirement it would not make much sense to do so. But if you actually do live here it would make sense to extend for retirement.

• Like 1

The only visa you can obtain in Thailand is a single entry non immigrant in the process of extension of stay. You can get that same 90 day visa in your home country so no reason to do here - and if you do not actually want to extend for retirement it would not make much sense to do so. But if you actually do live here it would make sense to extend for retirement.

Mate ... thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Visas are something you get before you enter Thailand.

I suppose the obvious question now becomes ...

Can I, on a single entry O visa, get a re-entry permit if I leave Thailand for say 3-5 months?

Or, are there such things as multi-entry O visas?

Cheers

You cannot get a ret a 3 to 5 month re-entry permit on a single non-O visa. The visa gonly gives you 90 days from entry and a re-entry permit would only keep those 90 days alive, without adding the days for not being in Thailand.

You could get a 1 year extension of stay and a re-entry permit on the extension or indeed apply for a multiple non-O visa, but will have troube getting one in the area.

• Like 1

Tried to do the right research.

Read Thai Visa's important-visa-information

Found the bit about useful-immigration-information-visa-descriptions

Got the the document MFA's Issuance-of-Visa

3. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA

1. REQUIREMENT

- other activities (Category "O") as follows:

to stay with the family,

3. VISA FEE

2,000 Baht for single entry and 5,000 Baht for
multiple entries

4. VALIDITY OF A VISA

Single-entry and multiple-entry visas are valid for three months.

Multiple-entry visas could also be valid for one year.

5. PERIOD OF STAY

The holders of this type of visa are initially granted a period of stay

in the Kingdom not exceeding 90 days unless otherwise instructed

by the Office of Immigration Bureau

So I can get a multi-entry non immigrant O Visa for 5,000 Baht in my home country?

Am I correct that this allows stays in the Kingdom of up to 90 days at a time and is valid for 12 months?

(I get confused with the bit above where they say multis are valid for 3 months ... then say they can be valid for up to a year)

... and a non immigrant O Visa qualifies the residential component for the drivers licence?

The non-O visa is indeed given to people for various reasons, like retirement and being married to a Thai.

The multiple visa is valid for 1 yeear, each time you enter Thailand during that year you can stay for up to 90 days. By leaving and re-entering just before the visa itself expires, you get another 90 days and so almost 15 months out of the visa.

Your home country will normally issue a multiple, but can demand seeing financials for that. Check with the consulate you will be using.

Yes, the visa should be enough for a drivers license.

The problem you might have is that most Thai embassies and official consulates in your home country will not issue a non-o visa for retirement because they can do the OA visa for retirement.

If your home country has any honorary consulates they are the best choice for getting the visa.