Is It Colder This Year Than Last?

thaibeachlovers

Seems to be colder to me. I've even felt the need to wear a shirt some evenings ( at home ) which I don't remember having to do last year.

Couple of nights, I've even pulled the duvet over myself as well ( My wife thinks it's cold even when I'm toasty, so she always has the duvet on the bed in "winter" ). Never had more than a sheet last year.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My test - having to wear a jacket during the day at work, not yet this year. 2nd test for cold-cold, turn my electric heater(s) on, not yet this year. So all in all, seems pretty mild so far this year.

Perhaps your member nick has something to do with it. biggrin.png

Chiang Mai declares 18 districts disaster zones

CHIANG MAI, 14 January 2013 (NNT) - Chiang Mai province has declared 18 districts disaster zones, after over 200,000 residents are affected by a prolonged cold snap.

The province has recorded its lowest temperatures in years during the past 5 days, with mercury plunging below 15 degrees Celsius in most areas.

According to the provincial Disaster Prevention and Mitigation unit, 4 additional districts are set to be declared disaster zones this week, with 80,000 more households hit by the cold spell.

Om Koi district is the worst hit area with over 50,000 residents affected. The district is battling both a cold snap and a drought crisis.

The province is requesting an additional budget worth 42 million baht to secure winter gear and relief packages.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-01-14

Edited by Buchholz

I agree with Tywais

I also agree. It is much warmer than a normal cool season.

Agree with UG and all the others. Very mild winter so far. We still use the A/C during the day at home and in the car. Many windows open all night. Only had to wear a jacket once or twice so far.

Yes they do unless it is a lot colder outside of the city than in it. It is an unusually warm cold season.

Cannot comment on comparison with other years, but It definitely is a lot colder once outside the concrete jungle.

Average Weather For Chiang Mai, Thailand

This report describes the typical weather at the Chiang Mai International Airport (Chiang Mai, Thailand) weather station over the course of an average year. It is based on the historical records from 1974 to 2012. Earlier records are either unavailable or unreliable.

Chiang Mai has a tropical savanna climate with dry winters. The area within 40 km of this station is covered by forests (48%), croplands (19%), shrublands (19%), and grasslands (13%).

Temperature

Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 15°C to 36°C and is rarely below 11°C or above 39°C.

post-566-0-89922700-1358213895_thumb.jpg

weatherspark

• Like 1

I think it's very pleasant during the day, but I too have been pulling the quilt over to my side of the bed and find it's a bit nippy at 6am. My test for if it's cold is the hot water system in the shower. It's been on for about a week for morning showers, turned off for evening showers.

The province has recorded its lowest temperatures in years during the past 5 days

Does the government have it all wrong then?

This is what it's all about -

"The province is requesting an additional budget worth 42 million baht to secure winter gear and relief packages."

• Like 1

The province has recorded its lowest temperatures in years during the past 5 days

Does the government have it all wrong then?

This is what it's all about -

"The province is requesting an additional budget worth 42 million baht to secure winter gear and relief packages."

That was precisely my inclination when reading so many on-the-ground reports contradicting it.

Back to original topic - am I the only one who wonders what they did with all the stuff from last year? Or the year before, or the one before? Those are the 3 cold seasons I've been in CM for, and every one of those seasons it's the same story (possibly with different amounts).

Just sayin'

I find the word "cold" in relation to CM city a litle misleading. If 30 degres during the day and 14 at night is "cold" are some expats getting softer? An exception to that is for Thai people who obviously feel cooler temps a lot more than foreigners should. A few of us still swim every morning in my villlage and I cant think of too many countries where you could do that in so called "mid winter"

The annual emergency packages,blankets etc, ex Government, probably get flogged, once the warmer weather kicks in.The Government "disaster zone" media releases seem to be a regular announcement each winter.

Back to original topic - am I the only one who wonders what they did with all the stuff from last year? Or the year before, or the one before? Those are the 3 cold seasons I've been in CM for, and every one of those seasons it's the same story (possibly with different amounts).

Just sayin'

It was probably low quality. Like most things that are cheap here.