Iphone Packages

KelCastro

(I tried posting this in the tech forum first... no replies.)

Pretty much I would like to know what the best package is for an iPhone 5. I don’t know if they are the same as the other iPhones, and I don’t know which company has these plans (AIS, TRUE, dTAC, etc.). I would rather do a prepaid month to month instead of a long contract.

Most important is internet, the minutes on the phone don’t matter too much as we do not make many phone calls.

Also, I already have the phone, I just need a sim card and sign up.

Thanks!

I got AIS 3G unlimited prepaid package , 3 Gigabyte download - then EDGE speed, one month for 799 Baht, for my iPhone 4S. It works like dream and I use it for tethering in combination with my laptop. Works anywhere in Thailand ( in some areas 3G will be downsized to EDGE but in most areas 3G is available by now). Why settle for less ?

I am in BKK, the missus and I both went and got smartphones. She got the Galaxy S3 and I got the Windows 7 Lumia. Went over to DTAC and they had an unlimited internet usage sim for 399bht per month with contract, at the time it was on promotion and was 299bht. If you do indeed only, want it for internet, then it was a very good deal. However, if you need to make calls and do not have Skype, then do not go there.smile.png

I got AIS 3G unlimited prepaid package , 3 Gigabyte download - then EDGE speed, one month for 799 Baht, for my iPhone 4S. It works like dream and I use it for tethering in combination with my laptop. Works anywhere in Thailand ( in some areas 3G will be downsized to EDGE but in most areas 3G is available by now). Why settle for less ?

Is that in other words unlimited internet? 3G or EDGE?

How does the tethering work? Is it relatively easy and how is the connection to your laptop?

With that plan, are all of your iphone Apps workable? Does the plan include any minutes?

Thanks!

I am in Pattaya and with True Move H.

699 Unlimited 3G, works well everywhere, some calls and sms included in the package also.

Does the service work well in other areas like BKK or up north in Chiang Mai do you know? Also, was this contract or prepaid?

D-Tac have the best deals. What plan you use depends on whether you have wireless at home and/or you spend a lot of time away from home.

The more expensive plans allow you to use w-fi hotspots at shopping malls etc, so if this is important get the more expensive plans. The 399 (430 after tax) D-tac plan does NOT offer wireless.

The more expensive plans have a faster speed after you've used up your allowance... however you can just buy a booster package to top up your allowance if you have used it up. eg. D-Tac's 1Gb top up package is 150 baht for a month.

699 Unlimited 3G, works well everywhere, some calls and sms included in the package also.

Does the service work well in other areas like BKK or up north in Chiang Mai do you know? Also, was this contract or prepaid?

BKK works well, other area's i do not know sorry. This is post paid but no term contract, can break away at any time.

From what i know, but i could be wrong, True was the first company to get the 3G, i really can not complain at all about 3g speed and services

BKK works well, other area's i do not know sorry. This is post paid but no term contract, can break away at any time.

From what i know, but i could be wrong, True was the first company to get the 3G, i really can not complain at all about 3g speed and services

I also have been using True Move H, for six months now. Internet access is pretty good so if that's your greatest need, it should do. But in my experience with voice calls, SMS and MMS service, it's been abominable. I've had trouble getting signals sometimes here in Pattaya. I've had many calls suddenly go dead and have to call back, sometimes two or three times to complete a conversation. I've called and had horrible line noise and had to call back, sometimes several times to get a clear line. My GF sent me two pictures, one arrived THREE days after being sent, the second one another day after that. I've had SMSs disappear or arrive hours after being sent. In pretty much all these cases I've been calling cross network. So that may be the main problem. And the True website has very little English. Even if you click the English button, it's mostly in Thai. And I've found the True shops in BKK and Pattaya to be on the whole indifferent and unhelpful.

I'm switching to DTAC, which I've been testing the last couple of weeks by buying a prepaid SIM. Seems pretty good. I especially tested their help line and web site, which is 100% English. So I'm moving my True number to DTAC, which has a good postpaid deal for Smartphone users, with a 200 baht/month discount (699 > 499 baht) for the first six months of joining. I also found the desk staff at the DTAC kiosk at Pattaya North Tesco to be friendly and helpful, not the case at the DTAC kiosk at Pattaya Central Big C mall.

I also have been using True Move H, for six months now. Internet access is pretty good so if that's your greatest need, it should do. But in my experience with voice calls, SMS and MMS service, it's been abominable. I've had trouble getting signals sometimes here in Pattaya. I've had many calls suddenly go dead and have to call back, sometimes two or three times to complete a conversation. I've called and had horrible line noise and had to call back, sometimes several times to get a clear line. My GF sent me two pictures, one arrived THREE days after being sent, the second one another day after that. I've had SMSs disappear or arrive hours after being sent. In pretty much all these cases I've been calling cross network. So that may be the main problem. And the True website has very little English. Even if you click the English button, it's mostly in Thai. And I've found the True shops in BKK and Pattaya to be on the whole indifferent and unhelpful.

I'm switching to DTAC, which I've been testing the last couple of weeks by buying a prepaid SIM. Seems pretty good. I especially tested their help line and web site, which is 100% English. So I'm moving my True number to DTAC, which has a good postpaid deal for Smartphone users, with a 200 baht/month discount (699 > 499 baht) for the first six months of joining. I also found the desk staff at the DTAC kiosk at Pattaya North Tesco to be friendly and helpful, not the case at the DTAC kiosk at Pattaya Central Big C mall.

I agree with true customer service kiosks, all rude and do not have a clue. The phone help is not bad. I can not say i had any trouble with voice calls.

How are the speeds on dtac?

Is that in other words unlimited internet? 3G or EDGE?

How does the tethering work? Is it relatively easy and how is the connection to your laptop?

With that plan, are all of your iphone Apps workable? Does the plan include any minutes?

Thanks!

I'm on AIS for iPhone 5. B839 - 3Gig internet and then it switches to Edge unlimited if you manage to use all that up. I only turn on 3G when I need it, the rest of the time just have it toggled to 'Cellular' which is Edge speed. Also, I get 500 mins calls, 300 SMS & 30 MMS & free wifi from 3BB in the shopping malls etc, if I really need it. Edge is unlimited so I don't see the need for this unless you need a bit of extra speed at the time.

It all works fine. For tethering, just follow instructions on your iphone in the wifi settings for using it as a hotspot. Again, this works fine.

AIS support is pretty good from my experience - 1175.

Edited by DMC1

Unless you're sure you're going to use 2 Gb, another option is to take the cheaper prepaid package and get a booster pack if you run out.

For example, with DTac you can get the unlimited 399 package which give you 1 Gb at full speed. If you need more, you can get a 1 Gb booster pack for 150. 3 Gb will end up costing 700 (plus VAT) this way.

With these prepaid services there's no need to contact customer service. You just load your sim card and dial the package code on your phone at your convenience.

Edited by tropo