Westerners Behaviour Towards Thai Women In Public.

Tchooptip

I suppose people in Thailand don't judge by appearances so much, and the ladies here can appreciate the beauty in our soles souls.

I thought they were judging me by the appearance of my new Blackberry, Tablet and M/c.

(my mrs. could even price my shoes to within 100bht, before you ask 4k)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some western men mistaken my smile that I want to go out with them.

Who do they think they are? Ben Barnes?

Have no idea who Ben Barnes is, anyway, yes thai ladies smile and giggke alot, many western men are not used to that.

So if you thai ladies smile and giggle, many western males will think that you are attracted to them. And as a result, they desperately tries to hit on every girl that smiles to them

Yes, this is the main problem. Old retired geezers (my age) who have the social skills of a inept 13-year-old boy -- desperately trying to hit on every girl that smiles at them.

Well, your post hints to sarcasm, but you have to admit it is true.

In western countries you don't usually see older guys in their 50's, or socially awkward guys in general flirt with random female strangers, but here, you see them do it all the time.

The main reason for this is :

In the west, they know they are not attractive, and if they tried to flirt, it would result in a slap in the face, or an angry stare saying "what are you doing you creep".

No sarcasm intended. We seem to be in complete agreement.

In western countries you don't usually see older guys in their 50's, or socially awkward guys in general flirt with random female strangers, but here, you see them do it all the time.

In the west, they know they are not attractive, and if they tried to flirt, it would result in a slap in the face, or an angry stare saying "what are you doing you creep".

It's to do with success rates ...... in Thailand success rate 50% ...... in west success rate 1%

Most humans learn social behaviour by a mixture of positive and negative reinforcement.

I think your reasoning is sound, but the actual success rate numbers are probably a lot lower:

- with Thai hookers: 50%

- with other Thai ladies: 0.1%

- with ladies in the West: 0.01%

• Like 1

It's to do with success rates ...... in Thailand success rate 50% ...... in west success rate 1%

Most humans learn social behaviour by a mixture of positive and negative reinforcement.

I think your reasoning is sound, but the actual success rate numbers are probably a lot lower:

Depends how hansum you are!

• Like 1

I think the question of "do you have a boyfriend?" is very common in many countries. i actually think its a good thing. It would be worse if people just assumed she didnt or even worse...... didnt care.

by the way, Thai girls that dont know me ask me the same question all the time. I always answer with a firm "No, i do not have a boyfriend" biggrin.png

• Like 1

Some western men mistaken my smile that I want to go out with them.

Who do they think they are? Ben Barnes?

After searching for this Ben Barnes character, I must say, now I better understand why Thai women flirt me with all the time, the likeness is uncanny although I do think I am a tad better looking.

smart-ben-barnes.jpg

I am obsessed with him because of his role in Dorian Gray. Good looking man in costume :D

Just do like me. Have your wife take business cards from all those men and whenever you need free services make her give them a call.

So many rich and ugly on the inside and outside people in this country thinking that women are cattle. They'll give free services hoping to get a call back from her. I have actually gotten free services from wealthy members of this board in the past. Always funny when they see my faces and realize they've given a business transaction away

Brad, are you saying that a large percentage of Farangs are with hookers ?

I can't believe that, there was a poll on ThaiVisa and nearly every poster said his wife was NOT a hooker or an ex Hooker, they were in the main professional women from rich families who just happened to fancy old men, am I missing something here,are you saying that they were lying, lying to us, lying to themselves, oh god, please don't tell me ThaiVisa members lie...........

• Like 2

I can't believe that, there was a poll on ThaiVisa and nearly every poster said his wife was NOT a hooker or an ex Hooker, they were in the main professional women from rich families who just happened to fancy old men, am I missing something here,are you saying that they were lying, lying to us, lying to themselves, oh god, please don't tell me ThaiVisa members lie...........

coffee1.gif

I read the OP's post and then skipped here to page 7 - I think women should have a right to dress however they want without facing verbal harassment but Thai women do dress in ways that seems predetermined to attract men's attention. If they don't want this, they can easily dress down and go out without make-up, it's their call.

• Like 1

....best post I have seen in years ....ah the delusion on this site......

Yes, this is the main problem. Old retired geezers (my age) who have the social skills of a inept 13-year-old boy -- desperately trying to hit on every girl that smiles at them.

Well, your post hints to sarcasm, but you have to admit it is true.

No sarcasm intended. We seem to be in complete agreement.

Ok, cool!

I read the OP's post and then skipped here to page 7 - I think women should have a right to dress however they want without facing verbal harassment but Thai women do dress in ways that seems predetermined to attract men's attention. If they don't want this, they can easily dress down and go out without make-up, it's their call.

Yes, you are quite correct - perhaps these Thai hussies should take lessons from our demure British maidens...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2046884/Binge-drinking-Why-intelligent-women-drink-oblivion-night.html

Yes, you are quite correct - perhaps these Thai hussies should take lessons from our demure British maidens...

http://www.dailymail...vion-night.html

@aussiebebe Excuse me, man. I don't know what made you have such logic. I think in your head may have something like..

Aussie women have sex = human nature-Thai women have sex= she is a whore kind of idea

Thanks for enlighten me how biased you are.

Any guy going to a poor, third world country is going to be cocky with the ladies. I'm sure a lot of us are less cocky in farangland considering the cost of a short one is 10,000 bahts an hour.whistling.gif

Good on you for naming a sex worker as a lady, but don't why you are saying a man would be "cocky" paying for a lady for sex, unless you're alluding to your sexual energy.

Edited by simple1

Any guy going to a poor, third world country is going to be cocky with the ladies. I'm sure a lot of us are less cocky in farangland considering the cost of a short one is 10,000 bahts an hour.whistling.gif

Good on you for naming a sex worker as a lady, but don't why you are saying a man would be "cocky" paying for a lady for sex, unless you're alluding to your sexual energy.

This is why these type of threads always go sour. You have these people confusing thai visa with the naughty pattaya forums where paying 3000b for a bad looking skinny girl is considered an achievement

Ah but you see, although women do want attention from men; they just want it from what they perceive to be the right men.

Having said that, I've always found that women place greater value on other women's admiration of their looks since guys have something of a tendency to give a woman compliments in order to get into her pants.

If they had any sense they would, firstly, do what makes themselves feel good, and after that, what makes men make them feel good.

Women give each other some ridiculous advice / compliments / reinforcement sometimes. So many times I've been privy to a "wow! you look gorgeous! ZOMG that is so HOT!" moment that just leaves me thinking "blah". Don't even get me started on the stick-insect obsession.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1

Ah but you see, although women do want attention from men; they just want it from what they perceive to be the right men.

Having said that, I've always found that women place greater value on other women's admiration of their looks since guys have something of a tendency to give a woman compliments in order to get into her pants.

If they had any sense they would, firstly, do what makes themselves feel good, and after that, what makes men make them feel good.

Women give each other some ridiculous advice / compliments / reinforcement sometimes. So many times I've been privy to a "wow! you look gorgeous! ZOMG that is so HOT!" moment that just leaves me thinking "blah". Don't even get me started on the stick-insect obsession.

Oh so true.

Learnt a new one today, Panda, white head, black body.

Those Hello Kitty types do nothing for me.

This is why these type of threads always go sour. You have these people confusing thai visa with the naughty pattaya forums where paying 3000b for a bad looking skinny girl is considered an achievement

3000 baht? Jeez I'm glad I don't visit those overpriced places.

I don't know what the issue is. When in the west it is normal to ask a girl you fancy if she has a bf. Why should it be different in Thailand. All you are doing is pretty much asking if she is available. If she says she does have a bf, even if she doesn't, then you don't go further with your thoughts of horizontal folk dancing and just enjoy the night.

• 4 weeks later...

Thai men do it too. Actually, Thai women also do it.

Usually it's only teenage boys and girls with raging hormones or those who still cling to the memory of raging hormones that do it to complete strangers, and it's usually given and taken as harmless banter (with the option to escalate). In my experience and observations it often does nothing worse than to cause a blush and a secret confidence boost.

There are a couple of middle-aged Thai teachers in my school who are constantly verbally (sometimes physically) pinching my arm and making cheeky ccomments, but you know what, they're actually quite funny and the exchanges always end in laughs all round.

Guys do it to waitresses, and if the waitress gives as good as she gets the whole table will get a laugh at the guy's expense. Good vibes all round. I've never met a girl who, all things being equal, didn't know how to let a man know that there's a line that he's not allowed to cross. Some do it with more style than others.

Apart from the international problem of people who actually become pests (which is another matter altogether) the only problem I can see regarding farang and this kind of behaviour is that sometimes the farang probably don't speak enough Thai and the Thais probably don't speak enough English to make it banter. The fact that such open and casual flirting can be rather awkward to do in some western societies probably doesn't help either.

wai2.gif

Wow - well said.

If you aren't the best looking person you might find you have a problem too, but don't let that stop anyone!!

Game on... ;o)

Allowing for different personality archetypes, it doesn't stop the Thais that I know! biggrin.png

What about the old, obese, tattooed, facial haired, simmet and shorts wearing Farang who is always being chatted up by beautiful young Thai girls, you know "hello hansum" man and all that? Yes, I know, that appearance is nearly always a sign of wealth, and the girls know this. Any Farangs I know or have known who are rich, nearly always fit this description and before anyone asks, no, I am not rich.

If no-one was allowed to ever ask a woman if they have a BF then how would the world ever get any population??

The other option would be to not mention anything about BF or GF and just to keep sweet talking..then you would be more angryrolleyes.gif

Not neccessary, when I was unattached and looked at an attractive girl and she smiled back at me and held eye contact, I wouldn't ask her if she had a boyfriend, I would assume she was free, or she would never have smiled at me and held eye contact with me in the first place.

I understand that it is part of thai culture regarding the title of the thread.

May i gently suggest that people mind their own business and live and let live.

How quick we all are to judge and criticize, turn that spot light in on yourself.

This can be applied to a good deal of the threads, social networks, and life in general .

Often when people judge and criticize they are avoiding the faults in their own lives or are guilty of the same thing they are pointing the finger at or something else equally or more pathological.

I am well aware that in a way this post is doing the same thing (irony) and that many people reading this will not like it nor agree with what i have said.

Edited by infinity11

Often when people judge and criticize they are avoiding the faults in their own lives or are guilty of the same thing they are pointing the finger at or something else equally or more pathological.

I find myself nodding in agreement with this statement, especially on TV where farangs are constantly criticizing the Thais and Thailand. Perhaps it is pathological.

• Like 1