GBP to THB Exchange Rate

You can't buy GBP or THB from XE, and even if you could they wouldn't charge the mid rate! 51.65 average TT bank rate currently.

BTW I took you off ignore because it looked like you were starting to debate sensibly, T2000 took your place!

If he was on ignore how could you see he was making sense??

Why did you just reply to one of my posts if I am on ignore????

Hmmmm

More failed logic and dare I say it...........

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks as though the worse the situation in Bangkok becomes, the weaker the weaker THB becomes. The current weakening this afternoon appears to be as a a result of protesters now occupying the Crime Agency, some irony to be had there! I sense lots of people will be happy at the news, be careful though, gravity requires less energy than propulsion and all of this could/will come to an end at some point!

The baht has been far too strong for far too long. Something had to 'give', and this situation has to be it. Hopefully for as long as this country realises/wakes up to the fact, that it is not the center, financially or otherwise, of the bloody universe.

The baht has been far too strong for far too long. Something had to 'give', and this situation has to be it. Hopefully for as long as this country realises/wakes up to the fact, that it is not the center, financially or otherwise, of the bloody universe.

And if it is as you say and the Baht does weaken, how does that benefit Thailand and the native people here?

I woud agree if you substituted Baht for USD ! blink.png

And if it is as you say and the Baht does weaken, how does that benefit Thailand and the native people here?

It doesnt ,but as the op posted thai baht to gpb so we are the ones that benifit. and thats what the thread is about

It doesnt ,but as the op posted thai baht to gpb so we are the ones that benifit. and thats what the thread is about

you may get more baht for the pound but less spending power once converted ...

• Like 2

I actually only understand half of what you've written but that's OK!

Edited by chiang mai

OK, so: bank rate is down, THB is weakened, that means there's improved hope for exports but imports will become more costly, inflation anyone! The problem with all of this is that whilst it means more baht in your pocket now, you/we will pay for it later as inflation creeps up, and it will and there's no CPI/RPI index or MPC to manage it - be careful what you wish for springs to mind.

Doesn't make much loss to the 'native people', they aren't big on foreign travel and mostly eat and use Thai produced products.

Benefits,

It'll probably do them some good as more foreign tourists will come in.

Along with all the expats already here having more 'pension baht' to spend.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

Doesn't make much loss to the 'native people', they aren't big on foreign travel and mostly eat and use Thai produced products.

If that were true, who’s importing all this stuff, that’s a lot of pork pies and cans of John Smith, just for the expat brigade!

“Exports over the first 10 months of the year totaled $191.53 billion, down 0.02% on the same period last year. Imports over the period rose 1.40% to stand at $210.97 billion, leaving a total trade deficit of $97.44 billion”

If that were true, whos importing all this stuff, thats a lot of pork pies and cans of John Smith, just for the expat brigade!

Exports over the first 10 months of the year totaled $191.53 billion, down 0.02% on the same period last year. Imports over the period rose 1.40% to stand at $210.97 billion, leaving a total trade deficit of $97.44 billion

When you said 'native people' I, of course, excluded the mega-rich with their fleets of Ferrari.

Yep, they will need to steal a bit more from the people to finance their corrupt lifestyles.

I don't think a strong GBP is going to cause much inflation in Thailand.

The USD/THB has changed very little in the last 24hrs (due to intervention from the BOT me thinks) and the exchange rate v other Asian currencies is virtualy unchanged.

I think what most people are missing is the strength of GBP against all major currencies eg. at the time of writing up over 2 cents against the USD in the last day.

Edited by Bluemoon66
  • Like 1

This from a piece in the sky news app:

"""

Research by the Money Advice Service (MAS) found 8.8 million people are "over-indebted", meaning they have fallen at least three months behind with their bills in the last six months or they feel their debts are a heavy burden.

"""

Adult population of roughly 50million

Do around a fith or 18-19% of all working age people in the UK are facing serious debt troubles. ( I especially bring this to the people crying about Thailand's consumer debt "problem"). Obviously very difficult to raise interest rates any time soon under these circumstances.

Second point is the rising cost of living/ essentials coupled with this over indebtedness will make servicing this debt harder and harder pulling more people in to the above situation/ debt spiral. Hardly space for rates to go lower. Maybe a stronger pound to alleviate the costs of imports would be a good idea- but unfortunately the stated aim is a "rebalancing" to exports and a weaker £ to encourage this. Which brings us back to the debt/ inflation problem.

The pound maybe up marginally today but I am worried about how the next 1-2-5+ years will unfold when there are all these problems building together.

Cross your fingers and hope for the best or take some pro-active steps to mitigate your risks while the goings good. Up to you as they say.

I am certainly not giving up my hedging strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well what do you know - if not all was stacked up against the THB already!!! Read my previous posts if you want the list. Then an interest rate reduction today in the face of 19 economists view. Smacks of desperation but why....

Maybe the real economic numbers (abeit they will be hugely inaccurate but less so than those published) are far worse than they are letting on.

My over ridding feeling is that the big boys that control the hot money around the globe had a game plan to withdraw further and progressively as the tapering factor loomed/came into place (to state the obvious - but meaning that all was not priced in - which as the forum know I believe). This withdrawal slowed along with the change of tact in the US. However it was always the short/mid term plan.

This being said maybe they have just said f....it. The turmoils here amongst other present issues will most likely span the gap to the commencement of tapering - lets just get the f...out now. Why waste out time/do the deed now....

If they are withdrawing at the rate I suspect the surplus here will not have an iota of impact in terms of the depreciation of the baht - that is assuming the central bank decide to actively attempt to stem the bahts depreciation.

Maybe I have by chance hit the nail on the head. Maybe the powers that be over the hot money etc cannot take the risk on whether the CB here will attempt and/or be successful at stemming the slide. Remember all those bodies around the world that have invested here do not want to see their investments decline in value in real terms - which they are rapidly at present. Cat among the pigeons time???

All round not looking good for the baht

Edited by Ticker2000

This whole tapering thing- 85 to 80 billion or 85 to 70 even , per month; its still a huge amount of money creation going on for a very long time to come still with multiple get out clauses to continue or even increase it; nothing's even happened yet and the date for anything to happen keeps getting pushed out further and further and the goal posts move like 7% unemployed to 6.5 and then expressly saying these are guides for consideration rather than triggers etc. As I have been saying for years- its all just a smoke screen to maintain faith in value of the dollar while getting away with such huge money printing and back door banks bailouts + market manipulation - ie bond and other debt rates. Over all it adds up to ongoing money printing and dollar negative as it spins on for years to come.

The current move of hot money is just that- hot money taking advantage of the hype over tapering to make a few bucks but as it unfolds longer term the tide can just as easily turn.

The real economy invested money in factory production, tourism, agri biz and such remains and continues as evidenced by the near full employment and labour shortages.

The interest rate cut shows the CB isn't interested in attractive the foriegn hot money carry trades but is more in to boosting domestic demand and economic growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Come on chaps - you armchair economists - why are we made to feel guilty for an improved FX rate? You sound like petulant kids.

'You'll pay one way or another'. Wow wee. I paid last February on our last visit.

I get the impression you despise us tourists enjoying the high.

What goes up must come down. But, I suspect your investments aren't quite going to plan if you feel so sore.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by wooloomooloo
  • Like 2

Come on chaps - you armchair economists - why are we made to feel guilty for an improved FX rate? You sound like petulant kids. 'You'll pay one way or another'. Wow wee. I paid last February on our last visit. I get the impression you despise us tourists enjoying the high. What goes up must come down. But, I suspect your investments aren't quite going to plan if you feel so sore. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Dont include me in that group - predicted and sitting pretty thank you very much.

• Like 1

Come on chaps - you armchair economists - why are we made to feel guilty for an improved FX rate? You sound like petulant kids. 'You'll pay one way or another'. Wow wee. I paid last February on our last visit. I get the impression you despise us tourists enjoying the high. What goes up must come down. But, I suspect your investments aren't quite going to plan if you feel so sore. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I'm more than happy too. Not long before I left last time it was around 45 to the £. The current FX rate cheers me up no end. If it makes some sad, then tough. The phrase 'swings and roundabouts' springs to mind.

• Like 2

I make no apology for pointing out that inflation is the downside of a lowered bank rate, these boards are littered with threads by posters complaining of price increases here over the past twelve months and an inflation rate that runs easily to 10% per year for many expats. If you're feeling guilty and I don't know why you would be, deal with it, my investments have not one iota to do with any of this discussion.