European Diplomats Satisfied With Thailand's Human Trafficking Solutions

webfact

European diplomats satisfied with Thailand's human trafficking solutions

By English News

20130116183049.jpg

SAMUT SAKHON, Jan 16 – European Union envoys expressed satisfaction with Thailand’s handling of migrant workers after a visit to frozen food factories in this coastal fishing province, the foreign minister said.

Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said the 15 EU diplomats were given first-hand information from factory operators who completely ruled out their involvement in human trafficking or employment of child labour.

The arranged tour of the fisheries and frozen food industries at this seaboard province, 70km southeast of Bangkok, was an attempt to show the world Thailand’s migrant labour employment landscape to prevent the US Trafficking in Persons (TIP) report from downgrading the country from Tier 2 Watch List to Tier 3.

The TIP report has put Thailand on Tier2 Watch List for the last three consecutive years and a slip to Tier3 will tarnish the country’s reputation in the world community.

Mr Surapong said the EU envoys complimented Thailand’s determination in fighting against human trafficking and the Thai police department's alert system which is connected to a nationwide criminal database, adding that it takes six months to see clear results of the government’s anti-human trafficking efforts.

Santi Prompat, Social Development and Human Security minister, said the government has set up human trafficking alert centres in seven provinces – Samut Sakhon, Chonburi, Chachoengsao, Rayong, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Songkhla and Sa Kaeo – to look out for human trafficking and exploitation of migrant workers especially in the fisheries industry.

Panisuan Jamnarnwej, chairman of the Thai Frozen Food Association, said member companies have been instructed to refrain from involving in child and forced labour, and strictly follow local and international labour laws. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-01-17

If I were to have a real intrest in what the dipolmats from Europe thought, I believe I would ask them directly. This second hand information being passed to the reporters by indivudals who say, "I heard, they told me, they told my brother in law, I think the intent was, etc" is what most of us think of as gossip.

When we look at the translation boon dogles made by translators, the lack of knowledge of English of most of those in Thailand public office, the lies they have been caught at, why would this article even be published. Sorry, its the Foreign Ministers, alloted time to get his face and nonsense, in the public eye.

The old time parents had a punishment for youngsters for lieing, use bad language, etc, they washed their mouth out with soap. It may not be an accepted solution by the so called 'professionals of today' but, it seemed to work at the time.

Apparently these European diplomats are satisfied with Thailand doing absolutely nothing to improve this situation.

If you read the U.S. reports for the last 3 years including the 2012 report, it is almost a cut and paste narrative one year to the next. I dont think the U.S. makes it all that hard to improve your status, 29 other countries managed to do so in 2012.

http://www.state.gov/j/tip/rls/tiprpt/2011/index.htm

Surapong, taking some time out from being Thaksin's geisha, has drawn his own conclusions as usual.

The proof of the pudding will be in the rating of course but I doubt it will rest on a single orchestrated tour.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/164458.pdf

The report containing the portion about Thailand. At the end of the day, the USA could simply insist that products from dodgy industries comply should provably comply with minimum standards. We had something similar implemented voluntarily into my industry years ago. Proof of at least minimum wage compliance, payment of overtime, proven audited cost analysis of raw material producers and the such to be able to supply to buyers. The whole basic process of the company's operations had to comply.

Consumers want their food cheap, but in reality, "how cheap?"

How can some people scoff at the EU seal of approval. We're talking about a well respected organization with a stellar human rights record. Oh sure, some of you will point to Continental Europes sordid history, but that's all in the past innit it? Let bygones be bygones I say, as the EU leads the way in human rights. Why just look at the great work the EU did on Bosnia. And then there was Rwanda and Burundi. France has cut a path on human rights when it gave Baby Doc Duvalier and all sorts of former African despots sanctuary. If it hadn't why gosh, they'd still be doing bad things wouldn't they? Today, Italy and Spain have set the standard when it comes to boat people. I'm sure the Thais have picked up a few pointers from their EU friends handling of North African refugees. The Spanish internment camps are quite something. Although journalists are barred from entry, I heard they have a football pitch beyond the barbed wire,. And let's not forget how the EU led the way on the genocide in Darfur. I think some of the EU diplomats managed a bit of hand wringing on that issue.

Those naysaying Australians, Canadians and Americans have been critical in the past, so the EU diplomats will set this matter straight. After all, the Australians have this odious position that detainees nutritional, shelter and medical needs should be met. Imagine that. And those silly Americans and Canadians and their human rights nonsense, well 'nuff said. The Eu has cleared the matter up and it's good enough for me by jingo. We can close the file now.

• Like 1

They should conduct another impromptu visit in a week or so.....I wonder where they hid all the kids!

Yes indeedy do they should.

"Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said the 15 EU diplomats were given first-hand information from factory operators who completely ruled out their involvement in human trafficking or employment of child labour."

they came all the way to Thailand to learn what the factory operators could have told them in an e mail.

Of course the factory operators are not going to tell them any thing or show them any thing to disprove there self serving claims.

Did they get there education in Thailand?

They should conduct another impromptu visit in a week or so.....I wonder where they hid all the kids!

Yes indeedy do they should.

"Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said the 15 EU diplomats were given first-hand information from factory operators who completely ruled out their involvement in human trafficking or employment of child labour."

they came all the way to Thailand to learn what the factory operators could have told them in an e mail.

Of course the factory operators are not going to tell them any thing or show them any thing to disprove there self serving claims.

Did they get there education in Thailand?

I doubt they came all the way from Europe just for this. There are plenty of them hanging around in Bangkok.

How can some people scoff at the EU seal of approval. We're talking about a well respected organization with a stellar human rights record. Oh sure, some of you will point to Continental Europes sordid history, but that's all in the past innit it? Let bygones be bygones I say, as the EU leads the way in human rights. Why just look at the great work the EU did on Bosnia. And then there was Rwanda and Burundi. France has cut a path on human rights when it gave Baby Doc Duvalier and all sorts of former African despots sanctuary. If it hadn't why gosh, they'd still be doing bad things wouldn't they? Today, Italy and Spain have set the standard when it comes to boat people. I'm sure the Thais have picked up a few pointers from their EU friends handling of North African refugees. The Spanish internment camps are quite something. Although journalists are barred from entry, I heard they have a football pitch beyond the barbed wire,. And let's not forget how the EU led the way on the genocide in Darfur. I think some of the EU diplomats managed a bit of hand wringing on that issue.

Those naysaying Australians, Canadians and Americans have been critical in the past, so the EU diplomats will set this matter straight. After all, the Australians have this odious position that detainees nutritional, shelter and medical needs should be met. Imagine that. And those silly Americans and Canadians and their human rights nonsense, well 'nuff said. The Eu has cleared the matter up and it's good enough for me by jingo. We can close the file now.

Ahm...I am European.

I just would like to see any source, that Mr. Surapong is basing his opinion on, that Europe is totally fine with Thailands efforts on human- trafficing.

It's not Europe, I doubt...it's him!

to look out for human trafficking and exploitation of migrant workers especially in the fisheries industry.

Ummm. Go down to Rayong harbour. You don't hear too much Thai being spoken down there. How does an office onshore, "look out" for something in the fisheries industry? Mightn't they need a boat?

"The arranged tour" of the fisheries and frozen food industries at this seaboard province.

It is amazing what outcome can be achieved with an "ARRANGED INSPECTION."

It is like in our workplace, the Chief Commissioner or other high ranking officers would attend a visit at our station and the order goes out that the place be clean and tidy and everything is in order before they arrive then back to normal when they leave.

How about a snap or impromtu inspection? I bet the outcome would be very different.

• Like 2

Let's not leave out Hitler. He would make the current regime look good.

But wait! We're talking about the here and now. Modern slavery.

That's bad and past deeds do not make it right no matter how much you lie to your conscience

• Like 1

In order to improve their standing, would Thailand not have to actually do something first? A good start might be investigating and arresting all those important people with influential power, such as hi-so business owners, politicians and local officials and especially the politicians and local officials who own those businesses. Gotta start somewhere. Better to start at the top.

What "seal of approval"?

Surapong is saying this, not the EU.

And if you think not being relegated to the league of pariah states is somehow a great achievement then you need some help

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

If in fact the Europeans did give this seal of approval, as you call it. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the Europeans say, or anybody else for that matter. I believe Thailand wants to get off the U.S. tier 2 watch list. So no, file not closed.

If in fact the Europeans did give this seal of approval, as you call it. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the Europeans say, or anybody else for that matter. I believe Thailand wants to get off the U.S. tier 2 watch list. So no, file not closed.

Precisely, and if you read the text I posted up the thread, the list of recommendations is very very extensive. A cursory plan isn't going to solve it. It ranges from the legal system effectively prosecuting traficking , to doing away with imported workers being indebted to their employers or agents, to the sex industry, to proving that migrant people are paid for overtime correctly. This isn't going to be solved in a day and will step on some very big toes, and some very big business interests.

• Like 1

Yeap, and if Thailand stays on a tier 2 rating for another year, they will automatically go to tier 3. That's the same as North Korea.

Thai politicians being held accountable. Doesn't happen often and it takes outside parties for it to happen. Sad.

• Like 1

Precisely, and if you read the text I posted up the thread, the list of recommendations is very very extensive. A cursory plan isn't going to solve it. It ranges from the legal system effectively prosecuting traficking , to doing away with imported workers being indebted to their employers or agents, to the sex industry, to proving that migrant people are paid for overtime correctly. This isn't going to be solved in a day and will step on some very big toes, and some very big business interests.

You know what else would get those big toes and business interests puffed up, and the military as well? Placing a ban on all seafood to the U.S. and cutting of all those billions of baht in military aid every year until the govt actually tries whole heatedly to make some progress. I bet you some shit would happen then, and rite quick.

Lets not forget about all those women and children that are being snatched up everyday to work in the sex industry. There is no children safe against human trafficking, including those in Europe and members that are reading this thread. Keep that in mind before considering this file should be closed.

Edited by dcutman

You know what else would get those big toes and business interests puffed up, and the military as well? Placing a ban on all seafood to the U.S. and cutting of all those billions of baht in military aid every year until the govt actually tries whole heatedly to make some progress. I bet you some shit would happen then, and rite quick.

Lets not forget about all those women and children that are being snatched up everyday to work in the sex industry. There is no children safe against human trafficking, including those in Europe and members that are reading this thread. Keep that in mind before considering this file should be closed.

I hear you, but Thailand is absolutely unprepared or able to sort this one out right now. As an example, the sea food business has some companies who import legally labour, who are the big ones, and subcontract some work out to other companies who don't. It won't be long before traficking comes up in a discussion in the US about protecting the shrimpers or general sea food business say, stop imports from Thailand because of traficking.

Companies have tried their best in China to enforce some kind of CSR programs, and occasionally they get caught out in the media, and there is a kerfuffle.

Something like the seafood business in Thailand with reportedly forced migrant labour even on the trawlers will take an enormous effort for the Thai's to sort out. From the boats, to the factories, to the packers, to the warehouses, to the port, there are millions of hands in the process, and to clean them all up will take a very very long time. There are some companies out there who run themselves properly and pay properly and attempt to control the supply chain, but for every one of them there are 10, who don't give a dam_n.

No direct comment from the Europeans of course.

No need when the Cousin Foreign Minister speaks for them.

It's truly amazing that the diplomats would reach this conclusion without first consulting the Thai Visa resident barstool panel of experts.

Edited by Suradit69

No direct comment from the Europeans of course.

No need when the Cousin Foreign Minister speaks for them.

It's truly amazing that the diplomats would reach this conclusion without first consulting the Thai Visa resident barstool panel of experts.

Indeed